Do EA need to do more to address offensive team names?

Knowlesdinho
10504 posts Has That Special Something
edited August 7
I’ve campaigned about this for a while, but nothing happens. I know that there are massive gameplay issues that need addressing, and they are probably more important to you, but this seems so simple to fix, considering they made it so Kurts name couldn’t be used when he was banned.

Today I was matched up with “I hate Muslims”. A friend of mine had “Christchurch FC”.

I’m all for freedom of expression, and I’m not easily offended, but this is a game rated for everyone...which means kids are possibly seeing inappropriate names for their ages.

Anyway, just wanted to see what you think, considering they seem to be very moral when it comes to content on the forums because “kids frequent this place”.

Do EA need to do more to address offensive team names? 71 votes

Yes, they should do more, there is no place for hate within the game.
66%
AFC AJAX NR 1Boabdusto0OainavO0oBoysie91Low KiKoning SpijkerbbergerJohnDoemadwullieMurkingFools Dazzler179abcdefg123Jaggy SnakeWarrenBartonCarlFjoehukEooanImAtrociousInvincibilityThefranchise92 47 votes
No, it’s just banter, lighten up.
22%
limjitweNelmserPJeffAcompliceRolls-reus96Cheetah ThumbsPiotrLolozeultuturorKiidoYiddo666SP300xCbnNavraatBeardGangjackluhgJTal23 16 votes
Other, please specify.
11%
DiggykcichrisAlbinoXIPoolstu123Colt_seeversPocketsquareguyMoopycamelBombSquadPuppy 8 votes

Comments

• Cheetah Thumbs
    4343 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 7
    I don't think most ppl make the names out of hate. They do it to be funny.
  • kcichris
    1616 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 7
    Other, please specify.
    just make it easier to report people, on pc its way too much work
    Post edited by kcichris on
  • silverdale10
    1398 posts Professional
    A few came up on squad battles last year in relation to Madeline McCann, apart from that I don't think I've seen any offensive team names in quite a while, not even a "Inter yer nan" or "She was only XI".
  • Pablofsi08
    407 posts Sunday League Hero
    Maybe in other languages but I sure don't know how variants of the n word aren't banned but "China" is lol.
  • Knowlesdinho
    I don't think most ppl make the names out if hate. They do it to be funny.

Some yes, but ones that talk about massacres, child abuse, **** etc should be off limits imo.
  • Invincibility
    3812 posts National Call-Up
    Some Team names are disgusting!
  • Pocketsquareguy
    5215 posts Big Money Move
    Other, please specify.
    Yes. But uncensor things that make absolutely zero sense. You can’t put “Kurt” in your team name, yet I played a guy called “neo nazis.”
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4343 posts National Call-Up
    I don't think most ppl make the names out if hate. They do it to be funny.

Some yes, but ones that talk about massacres, child abuse, **** etc should be off limits imo.

Yea I guess. There are some pretty messed up names.
  • Ishibum
    12396 posts Has That Special Something
    I’ve campaigned about this for a while, but nothing happens. I know that there are massive gameplay issues that need addressing, and they are probably more important to you, but this seems so simple to fix, considering they made it so Kurts name couldn’t be used when he was banned.

Today I was matched up with “I hate Muslims”. A friend of mine had “Christchurch FC”.

I’m all for freedom of expression, and I’m not easily offended, but this is a game rated for everyone...which means kids are possibly seeing inappropriate names for their ages.

Anyway, just wanted to see what you think, considering they seem to be very moral when it comes to content on the forums because “kids frequent this place”.

EA has no need to enforce freedom of speech (doesn't apply to private companies) so given they are trying to cater for a wide audience, I'm surprised more stuff isn't banned tbh
  • WarrenBarton
    7600 posts League Winner
    Some disgusting **** out there, especially in pro clubs.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Ishibum wrote: »

EA has no need to enforce freedom of speech (doesn't apply to private companies) so given they are trying to cater for a wide audience, I'm surprised more stuff isn't banned tbh

But look at how they run this forum...I don’t know how long you’ve been around, but I originally joined in 2012. It used to be a lot more relaxed here.

I’m not saying that the changes are bad, but surely there should be consistency. You can’t joke about certain things here, so why is it acceptable for me to make a joke about certain things with my team name in the game that this forum supports?
  • Azof
    16604 posts World Class
    The simple solution is an option to disable custom team names if you didn't want to see them or had kids playing.

Just have all the teams you come up against have one of the default names you are assigned if you make a new account and dont customise the name.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Azof wrote: »
    The simple solution is an option to disable custom team names if you didn't want to see them or had kids playing.

Just have all the teams you come up against have one of the default names you are assigned if you make a new account and dont customise the name.

That’s definitely what should happen in Squad Battles.
  • gorillabear
    617 posts An Exciting Prospect
    If I saw christchurch FC id just assume it was actually a kiwi. Very surprised the muslim one was allowed, i've had weird things that weren't offensive get rejected but they allow that?
  • Knowlesdinho
    If I saw christchurch FC id just assume it was actually a kiwi. Very surprised the muslim one was allowed, i've had weird things that weren't offensive get rejected but they allow that?

It’s possible, but unlikely. I backed out of the Muslim one...you know what game you’re getting when you see names like that.
  • selb
    6563 posts Big Money Move
    Some are disgusting but at least I know what teams and games to avoid 😂
  • PiotrLolo
    1523 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 7
    Am I the only one who don't even read opponents team name? I'm just looking at their squads at the start. Even if they are offensive I don't really care. Funny thing is that "bad words filter" can not allow you to make normal team name because part of the name is something offensive in completely different language. I just wish they let us make team names longer ;)
  • Colt_seevers
    1106 posts Professional
    edited August 7
    Other, please specify.
    Depends on just how offensive it is. Most are obviously just banter but occasionally you’ll come across one that’s hate (probably just kids)
  • silverdale10
    1398 posts Professional
    I once played a team called "Scripted [email protected]", presumably one of the EA devs.
  • MurkingFools
    515 posts An Exciting Prospect
    there was a thread about this before but they locked it, deleted it and did nothing about it

squad battle has so many and this mode should not be hard to keep an eye on

• AlbinoXI
    1752 posts Play-Off Hero
    Other, please specify.
    On one hand I agree on another I think it’s a good way to know you’re about to play a knob
  • Diggy
    13629 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 7
    Other, please specify.
    Yes there should be a report team name button
  • AlbinoXI
    1752 posts Play-Off Hero
    Other, please specify.
    I’d also say funny names for me personally are the likes of pjanic at the Isco etc
  • Knowlesdinho
    AlbinoXI wrote: »
    I’d also say funny names for me personally are the likes of pjanic at the Isco etc

Creative names are fine. I’m not easily offended at all, I just think that they should be doing more, or upping the rating at least.
  • BorussenBernie09
    1462 posts Professional
    Wow, 22% vote No.

There has to be zero tolerance for names that refer to child abuse or shooting massacres. It's not ONLY banter...there are lines, that shouldn't be crossed.
  • Kiido
    533 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I don't care really. People are so sensitive these days...

I rather have EA focussing on the game than chasing 11 year olds trying to be funny
  • mr_flibble
    291 posts Sunday League Hero
    I have raised this a couple of times in the forum, pretty sure the post got locked. The bottom line is probably that there is no upside to their EBITDA to be had from it so they won't do anything about it.
  • BombSquadPuppy
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Other, please specify.
    Theres a few country names you cant use because they are “offensive” like china and chile, yet there are easily made blocks for those that work around the filter to purposely be offensive and nothing happens... as if they do so on purpose 🤔
  • Knowlesdinho
    mr_flibble wrote: »
    I have raised this a couple of times in the forum, pretty sure the post got locked. The bottom line is probably that there is no upside to their EBITDA to be had from it so they won't do anything about it.

Almost every time it’s raised, the thread gets closed.
  • Navraat
    3293 posts National Call-Up
    I don't mind coming up against occasional "Michu at De Gea bar"