Here’s why PES 2020 is better than any FIFA in the gameplay

Comments

• DFC1983
    729 posts Semi-Pro
    I've tried to switch to PES last few years, gameplay on the pitch is ok. Yes you don't get EA Aids or anything like that in the game but crossing, shooting, goal keeper kicks, set plays are all awful. If they fixed that I'd permanently switch over. Until that happens I can only hope each year they get closer to the good old days.
  • Ecr8on
    1445 posts Professional
    Did anyone else think the players looked quite gaunt? I used Juventus in the demo and CR7 looked like a junkie. Everyone seemed to have overly long necks too.

I thought Suarez was having a stroke during his goal celebration.

Couldn’t get over the disproportionate body parts either,
  • torakun
    1593 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm switching not because of which is better blah blah blah, its more like I despite how EA treated us as a customer, and continue to ignore they buggy game, instead releasing the next iteration with similar bug too. Also pack weight can suck it. Its useless teasing us with Drogba, R9, etc when we have to grind all year just to get a taste of them.

Also, at least in PES, I guarantee, there's no stupid momentum and surprise mechanic over there. Bad players will be found out, while good players can adapt further. Unlike in FIFA, especially FIFA 19, where the bad players are definitely helped by S - word. Nothing more I hate other than facing against clearly a bad player but they can go toe to toe with me that plays and create a lot more chances and shooting opportunity but kept hitting the bar or superhuman GK, just to "EVEN THE PLAYING FLOOR".

much better graphic is a plus point for me too. I own ps4 pro and 4k TV, and it look beautiful. As for the fake licenses, modding it takes 10 mins and I've been doing that since '16.

Bye Fifa after 3 full years of $ spent and time spent, weekend after weekend, now its time to give back to my family B)
  • Pablofsi08
    407 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited July 31
    I do like PES, however the problem is that matches are not played on dedicated servers and most of the time you will be matched up against someone who lives far away from you (this is the case for me at least) with a really bad gameplay.

This IS A GOOD THING, that it doesn't use servers. Most of the time under servers you WILL be driven to a far away server from both of you and if your rival has a huge latency you will still feel massive lag on the match, you have double the delay compared to P2P, you have an extra hop in between, same stability issues, much higher latency. Whereas if the netcode is P2P like on PES and there's enough people (if there is not enough people it's not the netcode's fault it's the game's, the netcode is perfect that way if it's P2P) you will find people to play with at 10, 15ms instead of getting 100ms with double the delay of that latency to the stupid server.

It is up to companies to make their games successful but the best netcode choice is P2P. And if PES lacks players it needs to make the game cheaper on launch or make it free. That's the solution.
  • ALU2
    66 posts Park Captain
    edited July 31
    I forgot to mention in the original post is There is no Kick Off goal glitch in PES, that’s so important as well
  • Ecr8on wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the players looked quite gaunt? I used Juventus in the demo and CR7 looked like a junkie. Everyone seemed to have overly long necks too.

U have a clue about what is stroke??
  • Ecr8on
    1445 posts Professional
    Ecr8on wrote: »

U have a clue about what is stroke??

Yes I do, I have intimate knowledge of what a stroke consists of medically and the varying symptoms it causes
  • nitraw
    2079 posts Fans' Favourite
    i played the demo and i really enjoyed it. havent enjoyed pes in a few years. i may just grab this.
  • madwullie
    4399 posts National Call-Up
    torakun wrote: »
    I'm switching not because of which is better blah blah blah, its more like I despite how EA treated us as a customer, and continue to ignore they buggy game, instead releasing the next iteration with similar bug too. Also pack weight can suck it. Its useless teasing us with Drogba, R9, etc when we have to grind all year just to get a taste of them.

Also, at least in PES, I guarantee, there's no stupid momentum and surprise mechanic over there. Bad players will be found out, while good players can adapt further. Unlike in FIFA, especially FIFA 19, where the bad players are definitely helped by S - word. Nothing more I hate other than facing against clearly a bad player but they can go toe to toe with me that plays and create a lot more chances and shooting opportunity but kept hitting the bar or superhuman GK, just to "EVEN THE PLAYING FLOOR".

much better graphic is a plus point for me too. I own ps4 pro and 4k TV, and it look beautiful. As for the fake licenses, modding it takes 10 mins and I've been doing that since '16.

Bye Fifa after 3 full years of $ spent and time spent, weekend after weekend, now its time to give back to my family B)

Surprise mechanics is packs.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    5351 posts Big Money Move
    DFC1983 wrote: »
    I've tried to switch to PES last few years, gameplay on the pitch is ok. Yes you don't get EA Aids or anything like that in the game but crossing, shooting, goal keeper kicks, set plays are all awful. If they fixed that I'd permanently switch over. Until that happens I can only hope each year they get closer to the good old days.

I can agree to disagree with your post. But shooting? Shooting is the one thing that you simply cannot argue is miles better in PES. Most likely you were trying to score fifa goals. Which won’t work. You have to work your way into intelligent positions. Have correct body position and angles. Do this and you will score. Unlike fifa where you do all that and still miss with tots cr7.
  • Pablofsi08

This thread is pretty alarming. Almost funny how the word “addiction” gets thrown around on this forum and yet making a case for something else is like confronting a bunch of addicts

Most Fifa players (at least on this forum) hate this game. They hate the company. They hate how much money they have spent on it and how much time they have wasted on it. Some delete the club or uninstall the game only to find themselves crawling back weeks later. Some have been swearing this is the last Fifa they will buy for 3-4 years now.

But introduce an alternative to their addiction and watch them come out like a pack of wolves to defend it. They will make every excuse they can think of to support a game they openly hate.

There is a third alternative actually. It’s called having some self control. If you genuinely feel that EA is a terrible company that you demand your government regulate because of how it takes advantage of its customers, gets them addicted like “gambling” and causes you frustration and “feels more like a job” ... if all that is true and not you just being a diva then take a good look at yourself.

If you really do feel that way and you don’t like PES then simply stop defending Fifa and just buy neither. Don’t give them money. Don’t give them your time. Don’t support the company that mistreats you. It’s like being in an abusive relationship that you just keep going back to. Just stop. Have some self control and skip Fifa altogether this year. I know you won’t, but I’m starting to blame the community for the mess the game is more than EA. It’s your fault EA doesn’t change ultimately. You keep taking the abuse and coming back to them every year. Well. That’s on you.

PS You know how easy it is to for EA to make you forget everything? All they had to do is present Drogba and Zidane and half of this community has already forgiven all of Fifa 19 and said “well now I have to get 20. I love Drogba!”

See how stupidly wrapped around their finger you are? It should honestly feel embarrassing. Again. Take a good look at yourself. You are the reason this game sucks. I can’t even blame EA when all they do is throw you a carrot and you blindly follow for 4, 5, 6, 7 years.

I've felt like you many times. But some time after I've also seen EA trying to progress a little and they are, and I end up forgiving the game because in all honesty, it's the only worthy football we have right now.
  • Stoz
    226 posts Sunday League Hero
    OP has obviously not played the pes 20 demo I was hoping to ditch fifa 20 for pes but omg the demo is SsOoooo BAD it is like playing ping pong. Gave it a fair chance and played around 30 matches of it and just awful. Sadly I will be sticking with fifa even tho genuinely wanted to do pro evo 20 but it’s terrible
  • Bags
    825 posts Semi-Pro
    ALU2 wrote: »
    But do they have a mode as addictive as FUT?

Well, I’m talking about gameplay, and that’s all

And do you think good gameplay would keep you playing most days for 10 months? Nope
  • CharlieC
    6738 posts Big Money Move
    PES is terrible.
  • aliheidari2520
    88 posts Park Captain
    Stoz wrote: »
    OP has obviously not played the pes 20 demo I was hoping to ditch fifa 20 for pes but omg the demo is SsOoooo BAD it is like playing ping pong. Gave it a fair chance and played around 30 matches of it and just awful. Sadly I will be sticking with fifa even tho genuinely wanted to do pro evo 20 but it’s terrible

ping pong?! on pes 2020 demo????!!!!!!
    it seems you didn't play it at all !!
    passing is most balanced passing after fifa 14 and pes 11
  • FatZed
    866 posts Semi-Pro

ping pong?! on pes 2020 demo????!!!!!!
    it seems you didn't play it at all !!
    passing is most balanced passing after fifa 14 and pes 11

Was going to say the same thing? you can ramp up the pass assistance and change tactics to probably pull it off but overall its a long way from ping pong! first time passes are doable but there is more error. The gameplay is slower...body position and stats etc are more important. Do you try dribble, work space and create or just attempt to FIFA in PES and ping balls around?

The game is far from terrible, people are just so used to FIFA and the pick up and play noob friendly gameplay. Give it time and have a real go..
  • Stoz
    226 posts Sunday League Hero
    The ball movement etc just didn’t feel right for me it just felt weird
  • Pablofsi08

Word.
  • aliheidari2520
    88 posts Park Captain

because your mind have became conditioned with fifa weird ball movement ! and set it as benchmark (instead of real football ball movement) even without being aware of this !

just compare both with a real football video simultaneous ! pes ball moves faaaar more natural !
  • Ishibum
    12488 posts Has That Special Something
    PS You know how easy it is to for EA to make you forget everything? All they had to do is present Drogba and Zidane and half of this community has already forgiven all of Fifa 19 and said “well now I have to get 20. I love Drogba!”

This is so true. I don't understand folk complaining about the game all year and then going, "But Zidane...". This is why EA knows they can put out substandard plop and get sales.
  • Waldog94
    1631 posts Play-Off Hero
    But pes doesnt have timed finishjng? When i play footy i shoot my leg before the ball gets to me then shoot again when it does just to make my shot better
  • Mrhey31
    1285 posts Professional
    Couple of things that makes PES unplayable for me.
    - the menu, it takes to long looks terrible.
    - Best part of FIFA, fut... they have a 1990 version of that, just copy FIFA make the same kind of market and stuff.
    - As far as I know there is no online compatative mode(WL).
  • JTal23
    24 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Pes has better gameplay Imo, but outdated menus, tactics and the lack of content is why fifa will always be No 1.
  • daviec
    280 posts Sunday League Hero
    Mrhey31 wrote: »
    Couple of things that makes PES unplayable for me.
    - the menu, it takes to long looks terrible.
    - Best part of FIFA, fut... they have a 1990 version of that, just copy FIFA make the same kind of market and stuff.
    - As far as I know there is no online compatative mode(WL).

There is a competitive mode similar to WL, although with some differences. There are 2 modes (not including their DR alternative), one is at weekends and the other is monthly finals. The weekly one is separate competitions which run every 2 hours. The first hour is like a group stage, you play as many games as possible in the hour (usually 4, maybe 5) and it ranks you based on your best consecutive 3 match streak. The second hour is then a knockout stage, ie QF/SF/F.

The monthly mode is similar, but not limited to a 2 hour slot. Over the weekend you can play as many games as you want, and your ranking is based on your best consecutive 10 match streak. So if you really wanted to then you could play 300 games, or keep playing until you win 10 in a row. Or just play 10 and accept the ranking.

I prefer their ranking system (at least the monthly one) compared to WL.
    JTal23 wrote: »
    Pes has better gameplay Imo, but outdated menus, tactics and the lack of content is why fifa will always be No 1.

This sums it up pretty well IMO.
  • Hibee
    12071 posts Has That Special Something
    I made the switch a cpl of years ago and found the gameplay in PES way better. But it is true that myclub is not a engaging FUT and doesn’t last as long.

It does take a bit of getting used to if you have played FIFA for years though. Need to give it a proper chance, not label it trash after a cpl of demo games.
  • Manutelli
    18629 posts World Class
    Played PES in the past, played it at friends but no way am I ever going to move back to PES again. Fifa is much better than PES in every single way.
  • Hibee
    12071 posts Has That Special Something
    This thread is pretty alarming. Almost funny how the word “addiction” gets thrown around on this forum and yet making a case for something else is like confronting a bunch of addicts

Most Fifa players (at least on this forum) hate this game. They hate the company. They hate how much money they have spent on it and how much time they have wasted on it. Some delete the club or uninstall the game only to find themselves crawling back weeks later. Some have been swearing this is the last Fifa they will buy for 3-4 years now.

But introduce an alternative to their addiction and watch them come out like a pack of wolves to defend it. They will make every excuse they can think of to support a game they openly hate.

There is a third alternative actually. It’s called having some self control. If you genuinely feel that EA is a terrible company that you demand your government regulate because of how it takes advantage of its customers, gets them addicted like “gambling” and causes you frustration and “feels more like a job” ... if all that is true and not you just being a diva then take a good look at yourself.

If you really do feel that way and you don’t like PES then simply stop defending Fifa and just buy neither. Don’t give them money. Don’t give them your time. Don’t support the company that mistreats you. It’s like being in an abusive relationship that you just keep going back to. Just stop. Have some self control and skip Fifa altogether this year. I know you won’t, but I’m starting to blame the community for the mess the game is more than EA. It’s your fault EA doesn’t change ultimately. You keep taking the abuse and coming back to them every year. Well. That’s on you.

See how stupidly wrapped around their finger you are? It should honestly feel embarrassing. Again. Take a good look at yourself. You are the reason this game sucks. I can’t even blame EA when all they do is throw you a carrot and you blindly follow for 4, 5, 6, 7 years.

Stockholm syndrome man.
  • mdizzl3
    12410 posts Has That Special Something
    PES gameplay is along way ahead of fifa this year.

Fifa has FUT though and that game mode keeps people engaged. MyClub is just awful in comparison.

If i was playing against a mate or wanted to play a career mode, id pick PES.

If i want to grind out games and save up for players and do puzzle games - id pick Fifa.

Both games have their merits
  • Disconsidering modes and focusing in the game of football, PES is better in almost all aspects: gameplay, environment graphics, ball physics.

There are two points in which Fifa is better: animation (quality and variety) and sound. Gameplay in Fifa is a joke, a pinball game with football theme, but it's true FUT is addictive.

The problem with Fifa players that try to migrate is that they want immediate reward. When I tried it for the first time, I though that no way I would switch; the game felt clumsy and unresponsive. Well, I was trying to play it like Fifa and wanting it to respond like Fifa. After the first five games, I wasn't convinced yet. After twenty or thirty games with a new mindset and having learned the controls, I was converted. Switching back to Fifa, it felt like the caricature of a football game, felt ridiculous. The difference is that in Fifa you just react (fast reaction and button pressing is all there is to it); in PES you have to read the game, anticipate. If you don't, players won't respond fast enough. If you pass well, position the player well, shoot at the right time, etc, the game begins to feel a lot more responsive and you realize that it wasn't feeling so before, because you were playing the wrong. Invert the situation. Imagine you begin to play Fifa by waiting the players to have a good posture before kicking and passing (as in real football). The game would be frustrating, since by then your opponent would have tackled and recovered the ball. You wouldn't stay with the ball and would just be chasing him around during all the game. Frustrating. But in Fifa, after a while, you realize that you shouldn't wait. Just press the **** button and things start to fit. The player is facing the other way? Press the **** button and point in the direction you want! The ball is too high? Press the **** button; it will find a way to shoot o shoot. Too much pressure around? Press the **** button and your ball will get precisely to your mate through opponent players. Wrong foot? Just press the **** button!!

Try playing PES for a while, learn the controls, begin to understand the movement patterns (much more like real football) and then you can say it is unresponsive. Not before that.