The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

• Gyan_33
    28945 posts Player of the Year
  • Crossland
    7572 posts League Winner
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Nainggolan to Cagliari on loan. His wife recently got diagnosed with cancer, she’s from Sardinia. Good move from inter <3

Classy move that fair play Inter !
  • arsenalap
    4542 posts National Call-Up
    Nainggolan to Cagliari on loan. His wife recently got diagnosed with cancer, she’s from Sardinia. Good move from inter <3

Nice
  • NornIron
    11128 posts Has That Special Something
    Man Utd reject Real Madrid bid for Pogba, James Rodriguez part of it.
  • Crossland
    7572 posts League Winner
    edited August 5
    NornIron wrote: »

Lol at Real trying to get rid of their dead wood ! Haha
  • Crossland wrote: »

I rate james higher than pogba, that is if hey stays fit.
  • Crossland
    7572 posts League Winner
    Caspertjuh wrote: »
    Crossland wrote: »

Realy !? I'm not a lover of Pogba but he has to be a better choice over James !
  • Crossland wrote: »
    Caspertjuh wrote: »

Realy !? I'm not a lover of Pogba but he has to be a better choice over James !

In comparison as a CAM, james has the better vision, passing and shooting.

Of course pogba is better defensively and has much more stength. I think man u lacks creativity, a player who can launch martial, rashford etc.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31693 posts National Team Captain
    GL wrote: »
    How come Juve are willing to let Cancelo go? Wasn’t he one of their better players last season?

Maybe for the first couple of months. But he fell off.
    UM4R wrote: »
    ha032742 wrote: »
    unless we do something drastic it will be another poor window for us

still need a midfielder to replace Herrera, a right winger & a no 10 if we are going for 4231 this year

plus we spunked £80m on Maguire :cry:

I wouldn’t be too worried about the fee that the club has paid. You needed a CB and you’ve got your number 1 target. I agree though your midfield is pretty bad right now...AC Milan looked much better in the middle of the park the other day.

i wouldn't have minded the fee if he was actually an £80m player , he should be like £50m at max

just dont see him massively improving our defence

Agreed. And the fact we paid that much likely means we won’t look for another starter unless Lindelof leaves, and I think better CBs will be on the move next summer
  • XxRichiexRichxX

still need a midfielder to replace Herrera, a right winger & a no 10 if we are going for 4231 this year

I wouldn’t be too worried about the fee that the club has paid. You needed a CB and you’ve got your number 1 target. I agree though your midfield is pretty bad right now...AC Milan looked much better in the middle of the park the other day.

I do if they would have signed a decent partner for him Maguire and AWB are fantastic signings regardless of the fees which mean nothing nowadays ! I just think United are still short on the CB position,you boys will still get 4th or 5th ;)

Even with Maguire, Lindelof is 100% still our best CB.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    3007 posts National Call-Up

I do if they would have signed a decent partner for him Maguire and AWB are fantastic signings regardless of the fees which mean nothing nowadays ! I just think United are still short on the CB position,you boys will still get 4th or 5th ;)

Maguire is better than Lindelof.
  • Crossland
    7572 posts League Winner

100%
  • TakeItSlow
    7182 posts Big Money Move
    Everton signing Sidibe. They’re really doing good things this window.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 5

Based on what? The only thing Maguire has on Lindelof is heading. Both have great ball control and passing. Statistically Lindelof has been better in every other defensive category. Lindelof was a top 6 or 7 CB in the league last season. Maguire was arguably not even LCFC’s best CB last season. Not even England’s best CB imo
  • arsenalap
    I really dont get this Maguire hype.

He has good traits, I appreciate that. But he was very average last season. Not even in Leicesters top 5 players, let alone the top 5 CBs in the league..
  • MarkFromNorwich

Based on what? The only thing Maguire has on Lindelof is heading. Both have great ball control and passing. Statistically Lindelof has been better in every other defensive category. Lindelof was a top 6 or 7 CB in the league last season. Maguire was arguably not even LCFC’s best CB last season. Not even England’s best CB imo

Better in the air, better 1v1 defending, better at bringing the ball out from the back, Maguire faster too. I've seen Lindelof get spun so many times, very overrated CB because he looks competent compared to the calamity next to him (applies to all your CBs except maybe Smalling).
  • arsenalap
    Everton signing Sidibe. They’re really doing good things this window.

Past it but a solid signing for them. 1 CB and another winger away from being a very good side.

If they manage a Zouma type loan from somewhere they'll do well.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    arsenalap wrote: »

He has good traits, I appreciate that. But he was very average last season. Not even in Leicesters top 5 players, let alone the top 5 CBs in the league..

Me either man. Idk what I’m missing. He’s very overrated imo. Not saying he’s a terrible defender or anything, but some people go on like he’s one of the best CB’s in football. he arguably regressed with LCFC last season. Could argue Evans and/or Morgan had a better season.
  • UM4R
    3848 posts Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

can always rely on you for some pretty out there views
  • Thefranchise92
    3552 posts National Call-Up
    arsenalap wrote: »

Me either man. Idk what I’m missing. He’s very overrated imo. Not saying he’s a terrible defender or anything, but some people go on like he’s one of the best CB’s in football. he arguably regressed with LCFC last season. Could argue Evans and/or Morgan had a better season.

Hes english so theres hype around the fact there arent many good ones around. He plays for a club where he can look even better. He has recent notoriety in his rapid rise. Would have preferred alderwereld s d ziyech for 25 mil each
  • MarkFromNorwich

Grow up. Saying Maguire is better than Lindelof is not 'out there'. It might be something you disagree with but it's not an absurd statement.

What does Lindelof excel at? He's a "ball playing" centre back but Maguire is probably better at moving into midfield with it. Maguire is comfortably better in the air. Neither are quick or great 1v1, but Maguire definitely has a higher top speed.
  • Alex_cr
    4811 posts National Call-Up
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    It really is time to stop giving this guy the attention he craves.

On a footballing front I think Maguire is going to surprise a few this year. I think 80 mil is way too much but when you put it in perspective Tyrone Mings for 30 and it doesn’t seem so silly.

Na it still kinda does but theres a scarcity of good young english cbs... yeah i got banned for posting about hip hop. This guy is literally trying to start arguments. He cant have a debate he has to have an argument. He could have an argument with a dog if it didnt agree with his views

I did say ‘so silly’. It’s definitely still silly money!
  • Thefranchise92

On a footballing front I think Maguire is going to surprise a few this year. I think 80 mil is way too much but when you put it in perspective Tyrone Mings for 30 and it doesn’t seem so silly.

Na it still kinda does but theres a scarcity of good young english cbs... yeah i got banned for posting about hip hop. This guy is literally trying to start arguments. He cant have a debate he has to have an argument. He could have an argument with a dog if it didnt agree with his views

Tbf vvd was seen as silly money but liverpool have a better mamnager and system and attitude. Any player that comes in without a major clear out is futile
  • Alex_cr
    4811 posts National Call-Up

Tbf vvd was seen as silly money but liverpool have a better mamnager and system and attitude. Any player that comes in without a major clear out is futile

This is true.
  • Crossland
    7572 posts League Winner

Grow up. Saying Maguire is better than Lindelof is not 'out there'. It might be something you disagree with but it's not an absurd statement.

What does Lindelof excel at? He's a "ball playing" centre back but Maguire is probably better at moving into midfield with it. Maguire is comfortably better in the air. Neither are quick or great 1v1, but Maguire definitely has a higher top speed.

Spot on tbf ! Man Utd fans will be singing Harry's praises in a few months and saying how he's up there with VVD guaranteed !
  • Thefranchise92

Spot on tbf ! Man Utd fans will be singing Harry's praises in a few months and saying how he's up there with VVD guaranteed !

Does everything have to be so exaggerated. I dont expect maguire to be that good as a utd fan. I dont have any hate for most clubs
  • TakeItSlow
    Maguire will be good AWB will make the biggest difference though.
  • TakeItSlow
    @BrentfordFC Celtic closing in on Rico Henry apparently? Looks like Tierney is gonna be done if that happens.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Better in the air, better 1v1 defending, better at bringing the ball out from the back, Maguire faster too. I've seen Lindelof get spun so many times, very overrated CB because he looks competent compared to the calamity next to him (applies to all your CBs except maybe Smalling).

Like I said, the stats are there. The only category you'll find that Maguire is clearly better in is in the air. Bringing the ball out the back, they are both great at it. Lindelof has done is successfully plenty of times last season. The only thing separating them as far has ball control is that Maguire has attempted like 3 more long balls per 90 min than Lindelof, and why wouldn't he with Vardy at ST in a system that was made for the long balls and Vardy to run onto. That's the main reason he stands out, but both are more than capable. Idk how he "looks competent" because of the calamity around him, but somehow has the stats to back it :lol: Lindelof has a higher tackle success rate than Maguire. Idk about Maguire being faster, I've always found Maguire to be pretty slow, I'll have to see them play together to judge that one.
  • ChrisDotGaming
    1152 posts Professional
    Maguire will be good AWB will make the biggest difference though.

RT.

AWB is up there with the best defensive full backs available anywhere right now.

His attacking game could use a little bit of work but I would be shocked if Utd concede anywhere close to the same amount of goals down their right hand side as they do their left.