Here’s why PES 2020 is better than any FIFA in the gameplay

Comments

• Pocketsquareguy
    5915 posts Big Money Move
    Pablofsi08 wrote: »
    I can stay 5 minutes looking for a match but is it actually playable? I mean if I stay all that time I want to connect through P2P direct connection, not servers, to someone at 15ms and I don't think PES has that amount of users.

PES has connection filters. Three settings. Setting one will match you up with anyone. Setting two is balanced, it will filter out the bad connections. Then setting three is only good connections. You have to be hardwired to use setting 3.

What does good connections mean though, low latency? stable connection? both things are completely different.

Sorry. Not a tech guy.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    5915 posts Big Money Move
    LMAO, PES is robot-football

2020 has pink in menu and deformed bodies

PES robot football. Fifa rodeo clown football. Take your pick.
  • Retro_G
    30488 posts National Team Captain
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    From playing the demo for a few games I can already see PES still doesn't work online. I only ever play PES against the computer.

It works great online, if you change the matchmaking settings to require stable internet. Now you will need to use an ethernet cable for this setting to work, make sure your connection is good. The majority of my games have felt like offline. Balanced setting is awful though, it's a lagfest.

I have done all that and I have a stable connection but I still get opponents moving quicker and less stiff then me I have found.

Are you sure you're not getting outplayed by better opponents? I've played against some opponents who've that right stick finesse dribble sussed. Tactics are really important too, connection has been really responsive for me, while using an ethernet cable. Are you getting an A/A+ for bufferbloat on http://www.dslreports.com/ ?
  • Unkplayer1
    204 posts Sunday League Hero
    ALU2 wrote: »
    Do you have stocks in PES?

The hell you're doing on a FIFA forum if you're such a fanboy? Didn't you get bashed enough on your earlier post?
    You're like one of those guys on the streets who try to sell you their religion.

I'm fine with the one i have thankyouverymuch.

Really, I’m forcing you to buy my religion? Every issue I point out from FIFA is my fantasy?

No you're just opening one post after another telling us how great PES is.

How's that different from a guy who stops you on the streets telling you how awesome God is and how relieved you will be if you accept Jesus Christ (PES) as your savior?

I don’t understand why u has to be so harsh. I mean it is a forum and people talk. It is not necessary to agree on someone else’s opinion and besides, he didn’t force anyone to buy or try PES20. Just simply express how he feels about the game and tell on the forum. Whoever interested will go ahead and try not because they are forced to.
  • HishamAyman
    2929 posts National Call-Up
    Only reason I'm considering PES right now because of the way EA treats their customers, even if PES is a worse game overall. Im not an animal were you treat me like **** but Ill still hang with you because I need to be fed.
  • ALU2
    80 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    1, no ping pong pass,

This is actually bad for game flow and depth, because by eliminating this you eliminate a style of passing and a speed of passing, and that reduces depth.

player need to manually control the power of pass

This is actually a fail on design from Konami. Makes it counter intuitive to create plays when you gotta be thinking about this factor and not where your player is going to lean towards when he receives the ball, where he's going to move it to to create space, where the next pass should go, etc. I hate that about PES.
    2, no OP skill move abuse, just like real football, the best weapon to kill your opponent is run and pass, football is a teamwork not one man show, remember Tekkex 4 elastic SM in a row and score in the Fifa tournament? Totally insult to football

Again, broken skills such as la croqueta and el tornado are on the extreme of too useful skills that need to be corrected, but you propose the opposite extreme which is erroneous too, making skills way more useless, which dumbs down the metagame.
    3, no OP first time shot/fitness shot mechanics from impossible angle to score

Agreed, nothing to say about this one.
    the shoot in PES just feel real, way less exploits than FIFA, in FIFA you have to abuse mechanics to score no matter how ridiculous the occasion is, but you can’t score when you are just 5 meters out of the target

Wrong and wrong. You can display skill on Fifa to score too, and your second sentence is simply false.
    4, you get reward as you play better, your player don’t go bronze in a sudden, you have responsive control on your defender, they can defend as the way you wish

I partly agree on this one with you but making defenders not have any recovery would bring us back to when the defending AI was unbeatable and you just needed to press X + L2 + R2 and you had a perfect bus (which I assume works the same on PES, which is a design error). Fifa has however, a big issue with defenders' positioning where the game tries to open up your defense and punishes your defenders enough so that less skilled people can score more easily against more experienced players, that needs to change and soon.
    5,better physic impact implementation, it’s just more real than FIFA, I will say it’s the biggest impression for me from the demo, you don’t see any part of player can get through by a hand, leg, head or ball, when 2 player got a impact just like 2 player got a impact in real life, ball bounces as real, in Fifa, ball always oddly stop bouncing as long as it has a impact with player, disobey the rule of physics, then all the disgusted rebound keep happening

If it works like that on PES I applaud it, but I doubt it. Yes Fifa has a huge issue with this.
    6, better animation, every single move, from run, pass and shoot, just feel smooth and spot on, when you are using Messi you can feel it’s Messi, remember the way Messi runs in FIFA 19? Hilarious. And in Fifa, everything is focus on fast pace, animation is literally simplified and lessened, feels robotic and unreal

I agree with the Messi part but not the rest.
    FIFA has its good, the license advantage give it better presentation, better graphic on the surroundings, more real face in the game, but I think player face looked more real in PES than EA, anyway, if you like play football game like in real life, you really need to give PES a try, at least try the Demo

Completely disagree. Players look way more polished and close to their faces in reality on Fifa.

Mate, I don’t think ping pong pass is the way to smoothen game flow and create more depth in the gameplay, just go watch any Pro game in any fifa tournament, if you really love football in real life you can’t stand more than 5 mins to watch this type of ****, every single moments from these games tells me this is nothing to do with real football, the pass is so easy to execute with such ridiculous speed and high accuracy, gameplay is lacking of soul, the passing system completely destroyed entire Fifa franchise, in the other hand, in PES, you still can play Tiki Taka, but you need to know how does it work in the real life, power control is the most crucial element in real life pass, EA just totally ignore it
    As for skill move, PES has enough SM to make a tutorial video more than 10 mins, it can’t be triggered and mastered as easy as Fifa, I admit, but it’s balanced existed. Most skill from FIFA is useless as well, and some of them is way to powerful, you should know what’s the advantage bring to you as you keep abusing iniesta move and your opponent doesn’t, how many people keep abusing this move at least 3 times in row, this is not football, mate, this is circus performance, besides iniesta move, the header combo with El Tornado cross and long shoot with Tornado Spin is hilarious, just downgrade fifa gameplay lower than bottom line
  • Retro_G
    edited July 31
    LMAO, PES is robot-football

2020 has pink in menu and deformed bodies

PES robot football. Fifa rodeo clown football. Take your pick.

PES has more eSports appeal. When you watch competitive Fifa, it looks nothing like a real match, it's full of exploits. Watching competitive PES is more akin to a real world match. As much as I like skilling in Fifa, the moves aren't difficult to master. The easiest skill inputs are the most overpowered moves. I find it difficult to skill in PES, it feels rewarding when you pull a skill move out of the bag.

Passing in PES is more responsive, better than in Fifa. Shooting is more consistent in PES, but they don't have as much variety as Fifa. I like that Fifa has lots of variety in shooting, but it all means nothing when it's a random inconsistent mess. Defending is years ahead on Fifa, this is one area that PES needs to improve. Both games can learn from each other, but there is not doubt that PES is a more accurate representation of the real sport from a gameplay aspect.
  • Pablofsi08
    457 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited July 31
    1, no ping pong pass,

This is actually bad for game flow and depth, because by eliminating this you eliminate a style of passing and a speed of passing, and that reduces depth.

player need to manually control the power of pass

This is actually a fail on design from Konami. Makes it counter intuitive to create plays when you gotta be thinking about this factor and not where your player is going to lean towards when he receives the ball, where he's going to move it to to create space, where the next pass should go, etc. I hate that about PES.
    2, no OP skill move abuse, just like real football, the best weapon to kill your opponent is run and pass, football is a teamwork not one man show, remember Tekkex 4 elastic SM in a row and score in the Fifa tournament? Totally insult to football

Again, broken skills such as la croqueta and el tornado are on the extreme of too useful skills that need to be corrected, but you propose the opposite extreme which is erroneous too, making skills way more useless, which dumbs down the metagame.
    3, no OP first time shot/fitness shot mechanics from impossible angle to score

Agreed, nothing to say about this one.
    the shoot in PES just feel real, way less exploits than FIFA, in FIFA you have to abuse mechanics to score no matter how ridiculous the occasion is, but you can’t score when you are just 5 meters out of the target

Wrong and wrong. You can display skill on Fifa to score too, and your second sentence is simply false.
    4, you get reward as you play better, your player don’t go bronze in a sudden, you have responsive control on your defender, they can defend as the way you wish

I partly agree on this one with you but making defenders not have any recovery would bring us back to when the defending AI was unbeatable and you just needed to press X + L2 + R2 and you had a perfect bus (which I assume works the same on PES, which is a design error). Fifa has however, a big issue with defenders' positioning where the game tries to open up your defense and punishes your defenders enough so that less skilled people can score more easily against more experienced players, that needs to change and soon.
    5,better physic impact implementation, it’s just more real than FIFA, I will say it’s the biggest impression for me from the demo, you don’t see any part of player can get through by a hand, leg, head or ball, when 2 player got a impact just like 2 player got a impact in real life, ball bounces as real, in Fifa, ball always oddly stop bouncing as long as it has a impact with player, disobey the rule of physics, then all the disgusted rebound keep happening

If it works like that on PES I applaud it, but I doubt it. Yes Fifa has a huge issue with this.
    6, better animation, every single move, from run, pass and shoot, just feel smooth and spot on, when you are using Messi you can feel it’s Messi, remember the way Messi runs in FIFA 19? Hilarious. And in Fifa, everything is focus on fast pace, animation is literally simplified and lessened, feels robotic and unreal

I agree with the Messi part but not the rest.
    FIFA has its good, the license advantage give it better presentation, better graphic on the surroundings, more real face in the game, but I think player face looked more real in PES than EA, anyway, if you like play football game like in real life, you really need to give PES a try, at least try the Demo

Completely disagree. Players look way more polished and close to their faces in reality on Fifa.

Mate, I don’t think ping pong pass is the way to smoothen game flow and create more depth in the gameplay, just go watch any Pro game in any fifa tournament, if you really love football in real life you can’t stand more than 5 mins to watch this type of ****, every single moments from these games tells me this is nothing to do with real football, the pass is so easy to execute with such ridiculous speed and high accuracy, gameplay is lacking of soul, the passing system completely destroyed entire Fifa franchise, in the other hand, in PES, you still can play Tiki Taka, but you need to know how does it work in the real life, power control is the most crucial element in real life pass, EA just totally ignore it
    As for skill move, PES has enough SM to make a tutorial video more than 10 mins, it can’t be triggered and mastered as easy as Fifa, I admit, but it’s balanced existed. Most skill from FIFA is useless as well, and some of them is way to powerful, you should know what’s the advantage bring to you as you keep abusing iniesta move and your opponent doesn’t, how many people keep abusing this move at least 3 times in row, this is not football, mate, this is circus performance, besides iniesta move, the header combo with El Tornado cross and long shoot with Tornado Spin is hilarious, just downgrade fifa gameplay lower than bottom line

This is the bottom message. This game must not be exactly like real football for example, in this aspect of the accuracy of passes. When you play real football and the ball comes to you and you need to send a pass with an accurate strength put on the ball you don't need to have a whole structure of where your 3 or 5 or 10 next passes will go to, but you need to have that in mind on Fifa. These several passes in a row and the planning is affected by your concentration. The more elements you need to take into account and concentrate on, the less planning you can make. Thus, it diminishes people's ability to plan, and that affects depth.

You still need to plan on the power you use to hit the ball on Fifa, it just doesn't take a preponderant enough place on your concentration and that is a correct design choice.

There's also the factor of allowing people to create a higher speed passing game, which allows for more unpredictability. If you remove this potential of speed you are removing an element of variety and a possibility of strategy on the game, reducing the depth, this way too.

Games must not be exactly equal to life, but do what's best to create a deep and interesting enough metagame so people enjoy them.

If you want to stop these passes, EA needs to remove the delay (or give us the option to if we want to) people have before being able to switch to the next defender using the right stick. They must improve the AI defensive positioning so that your defense doesn't open on purpose to allow people with little experience to score while your defenders take a huge recovery hit because they need to rotate. And they also need to increase the effectiveness of intercepting manually. Nerf first time shots, nerf finesse shots. But don't dumb down the gameplay removing possibilities just because real life football isn't exactly like this. The game has to take it's own decisions. I am sure people who really know how to play the game would agree with me that removing the possibility of quick passing would make this game way more boring. Accuracy included on this.

Same goes for skills. You need to balance skills so that more of the under used skills are viable and the ones that are broken are nerfed, but don't make all of them almost unusable as a way to solve the issue. It's a bad solution.

"PES has more eSports appeal. When you watch competitive Fifa, it looks nothing like a real match, it's full of exploits. Watching competitive PES is more akin to a real world match. As much as I like skilling in Fifa, the moves aren't difficult to master. The easiest skill inputs are the most overpowered moves. I find it difficult to skill in PES, it feels rewarding when you pull a skill move out of the bag."

Skills should not be harder to execute, they should be more accessible, more intuitive, I even think that Fifa should just encourage dribbling with the left stick to for example, separating your player from the rival in order to shoot/get past him (bicycles/heel to heels) instead of encouraging using the right stick. I don't know how good it is, if it's true, that they are incorporating fighting game like sequences on 20 and how intuitive those can be but this game needs to be much more intuitive to learn and to nerf broken skills. Using complex combinations with the triggers, the right stick plus buttons instead of just using L2 and a sequence with the left stick to perform a backwards roulette, establishing that you can only be non-aligned with the rival in order to be able to shoot if you have used fake shot or bicycle first (a fact newcomers don't learn easily and that is counter-intuitive), things like this need to change, but not to make things more difficult. Make skills accessible, doable, enjoyable, but be very careful about their balance, is all they need to do.
  • Dijkstra
    156 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Just played the demo, 3 games offline, 4 games online. I decided to pre-order. Probably legendary edition.

A list of things I like.
    - Passing goes to the direction I expect
    - Shooting is not random, and it needs your adjustment and positioning. If you have experience shooting in real life, you can do better.
    - Ball is not randomly bouncy. It follows some common-sense law
    - No Rebound bs
    - Stand Tackle actually works. It is about timing
    - Corner kicks angle reminds me of the old WE6 on PS.
    - Ozil is actually usable, and can assist. Not a random fodder.

The only thing I don't quite understand is how to perform skill moves. A bit different from FIFA style.

I will not play fifa 20 not because fifa 20 is bad. Never forget how EA treated us in fifa 19.
  • JayyThunder
    4497 posts Big Money Move
    They closed my post

I mean....it's not bad. I played two guys who I KNOW FOR A FACT play Fifa 19 because of their play style and PES is basically anti Fifa 19. A couple of things I liked about it...

If you can't pass, you will not win. In both online games that I played, my opponent was basically spamming the pass button, no look passes, ping-pong, all that and it never worked. He had like 30% possession at the end of the game because A) I was just passing around him and B) he couldn't pass worth a damn.

The speed is really nice. I enjoy a slower more methodical football game because that's how it is in real life, even Liverpool doesn't play as fast as Fifa game play. I like that there's time and space between the players and the ball, but not so much that the players are running faster than the ball like they do in Fifa sometimes.

DEFENDING IS AMAZING. The two guys I played just literally spammed tackle and ran all over the pitch with their defenders opening up gaps and the AI never once bailed them out for their mistakes. Also, when jockeying it was really nice and smooth with the defender. But it wasn't crazy loose to where if you move the stick a little bit in one direction the defender flies over to one side. Jockey in PES is like a combination of regular manual jockey and contain (BUT ONLY WHEN YOU'RE CLOSE TO THE ATTACKER, I think in situations where your one on one with an attacker and you get close to them, it feels like you're pressing contain, but when you're further away that's not the case)

The animations and dribbling are decent, I just think it's something that most Fifa players would have to get used to. The right stick is used a lot in close quarters situation and not necessarily for skill moves, so basically a touch and turn you would use the right stick instead of the left stick, it definitely will take some time to get used to it.

It's not bad. As someone that plays possession in Fifa, it's great because you can really beat up on the people with zero footballing intelligence. PES is definitely more of a grown up football sim, where as Fifa is made for a younger crowd. I think that's how it's always been. If My Club is decent PES could have a fighting chance, but with FUT it's basically a no contest, regardless of how terrible the game play is.
  • Pablofsi08
    457 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dijkstra wrote: »
    Just played the demo, 3 games offline, 4 games online. I decided to pre-order. Probably legendary edition.

A list of things I like.
    - Shooting is not random, and it needs your adjustment and positioning. If you have experience shooting in real life, you can do better.
    - No Rebound bs

The only thing I don't quite understand is how to perform skill moves. A bit different from FIFA style.

I will not play fifa 20 not because fifa 20 is bad. Never forget how EA treated us in fifa 19.

Interesting.
  • Retro_G
    Finesse dribble tutorial lads.

• Retro_G

A list of things I like.
    - No Rebound bs

I've conceded a few rebound goals online, akin to Fifa. Perfectly timed tackle with my defender for the ball to bounce off my other defender, straight into my opponents striker for an easy finish. A few Neuer howlers too, with him palming the ball directly to my opponents striker after a save.
  • Drachenfells
    562 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I found a possible flaw, I play with the camera vertical IE goals at the top and bottom of the screen, I have always played football games that way every since sensible world of soccer. In the new pro evolution I set my camera that way and won 8-0 tried again with Santos Vs Barça won 6-0 it's so easy to run round defenders as they move to early so you can go round them. I only played offline so can't say about online. Can somebody else try it out and see if it's just me or does vertical camera give you a insane advantage?
  • Toonleew
    2340 posts Fans' Favourite
    To be fair I play both fifa 19 and Pro evo 19 daily. For me pro evo has the better gameplay. Fifa miles ahead on everything else.
  • FinEverton
    696 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'll give much time to PES demo.

Bored to death of weekly objectives and squadbattles (feels like a job) in fifa. The more I play fifa in online, the more frustrated I become.

Pes 2020 feels really heavy after first games.

Dont know.. We need third company to create football game..
  • Ishibum
    13050 posts Has That Special Something
    FinEverton wrote: »
    I'll give much time to PES demo.

Bored to death of weekly objectives and squadbattles (feels like a job) in fifa. The more I play fifa in online, the more frustrated I become.

Pes 2020 feels really heavy after first games.

Dont know.. We need third company to create football game..

We need Actua Soccer to make a comeback ;)

And yeah, it looks like I'm taking a footie game break. PES doesn't look up to spec and FIFA '19 was the final straw for me.
  • Ecr8on
    1485 posts Play-Off Hero
    Played a handful of games online and offline tonight on the demo. There are things I like about it, passing feels nice and the tempo is pretty fantastic. I’ll play some more games but two things I’m having trouble with the player graphics and the fact that each player feels practically the same on the ball to me
  • aliheidari2520
    89 posts Park Captain
    JURITO1000 wrote: »
    I hate how in pes my players doesnt run for loose ball. He just stay and watching and i cant go for thr ball because its slow. Maybe there is some button for it but i didnt find in commands

if you push R1 and R2 together, you can move your player freely without any effect from AI, it help a lot when you feel your player follow a bad route and low speed... the issue should be misunderstanding from AI to lock the route of your player to calculated point to reach the ball at a certain moment, so you can cut it manually.
  • Bananakick
    239 posts Sunday League Hero
    The only complaint I have on pes is the contract costs of players on myclub. It forces you to grind games just to keep up with the costs to use your fav players. It's stupid considering everyone wants to be able to use their fav players and have fun with every game.
  • Bananakick
    239 posts Sunday League Hero
    Also to add, I be the 1st to buy pes if they remove the ridiculous costs of the player contracts.
  • pudgyfudgy
    5783 posts Big Money Move
    Let's also be real – half of the joy of gaming these days is progression, not just gameplay per se.

We play God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn for the amazing gameplay AND the amazing story progression. We play Fortnite for the fun gameplay AND the leaderboard/stats. Even back to the old days of Diablo II, the desire to level up and gear up made the monotonous grinding worth it.

Without a game mode that has the addiction factor and sense of progression that FUT admittedly has, PES will find it very hard to succeed no matter how good their gameplay is.
  • Keepthechange
    1662 posts Play-Off Hero
    I do like PES, however the problem is that matches are not played on dedicated servers and most of the time you will be matched up against someone who lives far away from you (this is the case for me at least) with a really bad gameplay.
  • abhreebhu_45
    955 posts Professional
    The only game that felt like i was playing with robots was fifa 19,18,17
  • abhreebhu_45
    955 posts Professional
    The most rewarding mode in fifa is wl,, n u have to play 30 games in 3 days for that,, which is not gonna b feasible from next week,, so unless the manager mode improves, pes is the solution
  • fc_tosno
    271 posts Sunday League Hero

you need to turn to auto feint off in the controller menu, then you can manually do tricks like the finesse dribbel etc.
  • parky83
    438 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just played the demo was terrible
  • parky83
    438 posts Sunday League Hero
    selb wrote: »
    Question for anyone who has played it, does it still do the homing missile tackle where you press A(xbox)X(ps) it just homes in and runs straight at the opponent?

Yes mate you just hold a and it homes in on them really didnt like the demo and i really wanted to!
  • Saekerhett
    624 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I played the PES 2020 demo and I think it's utter crap. I like the gameplay (besides its flaws) of FIFA much better. Back in the days when we had PES 4, PES 5 and PES 6 they were the king of football games. Sadly that gameplay disappeared, but I think FIFA 18 and FIFA 19 look more like that gameplay than PES itself nowadays.
  • King_Cantona77
    1018 posts Professional
    edited July 31
    Did anyone else think the players looked quite gaunt? I used Juventus in the demo and CR7 looked like a junkie. Everyone seemed to have overly long necks too.