FIFA 20 Star Heads Thread

Comments

• Griezmannia
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Tom0307 wrote: »
    To the person a page ago who said we should pay for DLC packs, let me remind you that PES offer 6 DLC packs throughout the year, with faces, boots, balls, stadiums and sometimes new leagues and it's all for free.

This is irrelevant. Regardless of how many times we try to make a convincing claim the PES is comparative, it's not. I used to love WE and then the first few PES games but let's face it, the majority of us are interested in authenticity and as a result, can't accept alot of PES's shortcomings. And if you've been playing FIFA for two decades, swapping to PES's very different gameplay is just too big of a gap to jump. I own both games for 2019 and I can't play PES. The gameplay feels weird and choppy. And I don't want to spend dozens of hours editing teams to make their uniforms and names realistic.

Konami realizes this. They realize EA has a virtual monopoly on the football simulation market. They can't match EA in official licensing and other gameplay aspects so they do some EA has dropped the ball on... more and better scans and consistent content drops in the form of free DLC's throughout the year. As well as earlier release dates. They are doing this to HAVE AN INCENTIVE, TO RETAIN RELEVANCE AND MARGINAL COMPETITION WITH EA. EA owns this arena, they are not going to follow the lead of Konami. To their credit, you are exactly what they want. Someone to do the marketing for them and say "Well... I know that comparative PES basically lacks most of the things that matter BUT they release free DLC all the time!!" And that is supposed to pique the interest of some of us disgruntled EA patrons who feel that we deserve more. But let's be real, if you had already given up on FIFA and PES's content drops had totally roped you in, you wouldn't be in the FIFA starhead thread, so my point sticks. The bigger company isn't going to worry about matching the offerings of the smaller one.

I put it to you this way: There is a great little donut shop in my hometown run by a nice Asian family. It is right across from Dunkin Donuts. I love their frozen coffees so I exclusively get my coffee fix there. They give you a free donut every time you buy a drink. I don't get to go across the street to dunks, a conglomerate and the undisputed American monopoly on coffee and say " Well, the place across the street gives out free donuts so you should too." That's just not how it works. I run a cleaning business, an employee I once had asked me " how come you don't do 'a, b and c' every time you clean this office? When I was a cleaner in the past I did that every night." My answer was that if I did 'a, b and c' every single time it would create a standard and as such an expectation; additionally, I charge my clients an extra $200 every quarter to do a 'deep cleaning' which is when I do those extra little things. They're perfectly happy to do it that way and I make extra money, and the world keeps on spinning.

Whether we want to admit it or not, FIFA has come a long way. EA are well aware that no matter how much content they put in the game and at what rate, we will still have something to complain about. Until vast numbers of people start boycotting the game, there's no reason to change their philosophy and they aren't EVER going to take steps to compete against the offerings of PES because PES isn't real competition at this stage. So we should stop saying " PES does this and that" because it's irrelevant. They have to offer whatever perks they can to entice us to get off the EA bandwagon, it's the only way they have a shot. The same reason Hyundai has to put assloads of fancy tech as standard in their automobiles. Creating a 'bang for your buck' persona was the only way to give themselves a shot of competing with the big boys, but it is not in turn going to become the standard for the companies which are already at the top until a precedent is set by the consumers.

All that being said, I agree that it would be great for it to be free. But it's 2019 and we're all adults who should have some inkling by now of how the real world works. It's all about the $$$, unfortunately.
  • Griezmannia
    Does anyone remember a few years back when FIFA used to not only let you scan your own face into the game onto your custom pro but you could also create entire 'rest of world' teams and people could then download the team and/or players into their games? I made an entire Shaktar Donetsk team and like 100 people downloaded it into their games, and this was on console. You did it all on the pc and then could transfer it to your console.

Now they say " We prefer to do things in house"

Also there's the Community Share Files feature on Madden to this day... so the basis is there. Not sure why they adopt their current stance for FIFA.
  • mickjacobjr
    1692 posts Play-Off Hero
    It’s pretty pathetic, when we finally will have a scan for Jack Grealish (god forbid he transfers 😰) that we have to wait till November, like honestly these November scans need to change to be from big players throughout Europe rather than just 7-8 players from the promoted teams.

Jack Grealish Won’t be transferring Villa have brought in some good players for scanning it is never 7-8 players with promoted teams nov update is always 50-70 scans
  • HarryKein
    519 posts An Exciting Prospect
    To the person a page ago who said we should pay for DLC packs, let me remind you that PES offer 6 DLC packs throughout the year, with faces, boots, balls, stadiums and sometimes new leagues and it's all for free.

This is irrelevant. Regardless of how many times we try to make a convincing claim the PES is comparative, it's not. I used to love WE and then the first few PES games but let's face it, the majority of us are interested in authenticity and as a result, can't accept alot of PES's shortcomings. And if you've been playing FIFA for two decades, swapping to PES's very different gameplay is just too big of a gap to jump. I own both games for 2019 and I can't play PES. The gameplay feels weird and choppy. And I don't want to spend dozens of hours editing teams to make their uniforms and names realistic.

Konami realizes this. They realize EA has a virtual monopoly on the football simulation market. They can't match EA in official licensing and other gameplay aspects so they do some EA has dropped the ball on... more and better scans and consistent content drops in the form of free DLC's throughout the year. As well as earlier release dates. They are doing this to HAVE AN INCENTIVE, TO RETAIN RELEVANCE AND MARGINAL COMPETITION WITH EA. EA owns this arena, they are not going to follow the lead of Konami. To their credit, you are exactly what they want. Someone to do the marketing for them and say "Well... I know that comparative PES basically lacks most of the things that matter BUT they release free DLC all the time!!" And that is supposed to pique the interest of some of us disgruntled EA patrons who feel that we deserve more. But let's be real, if you had already given up on FIFA and PES's content drops had totally roped you in, you wouldn't be in the FIFA starhead thread, so my point sticks. The bigger company isn't going to worry about matching the offerings of the smaller one.

I put it to you this way: There is a great little donut shop in my hometown run by a nice Asian family. It is right across from Dunkin Donuts. I love their frozen coffees so I exclusively get my coffee fix there. They give you a free donut every time you buy a drink. I don't get to go across the street to dunks, a conglomerate and the undisputed American monopoly on coffee and say " Well, the place across the street gives out free donuts so you should too." That's just not how it works. I run a cleaning business, an employee I once had asked me " how come you don't do 'a, b and c' every time you clean this office? When I was a cleaner in the past I did that every night." My answer was that if I did 'a, b and c' every single time it would create a standard and as such an expectation; additionally, I charge my clients an extra $200 every quarter to do a 'deep cleaning' which is when I do those extra little things. They're perfectly happy to do it that way and I make extra money, and the world keeps on spinning.

Whether we want to admit it or not, FIFA has come a long way. EA are well aware that no matter how much content they put in the game and at what rate, we will still have something to complain about. Until vast numbers of people start boycotting the game, there's no reason to change their philosophy and they aren't EVER going to take steps to compete against the offerings of PES because PES isn't real competition at this stage. So we should stop saying " PES does this and that" because it's irrelevant. They have to offer whatever perks they can to entice us to get off the EA bandwagon, it's the only way they have a shot. The same reason Hyundai has to put assloads of fancy tech as standard in their automobiles. Creating a 'bang for your buck' persona was the only way to give themselves a shot of competing with the big boys, but it is not in turn going to become the standard for the companies which are already at the top until a precedent is set by the consumers.

All that being said, I agree that it would be great for it to be free. But it's 2019 and we're all adults who should have some inkling by now of how the real world works. It's all about the $$$, unfortunately.

In PES for PS4 or PC you can edit all in 5 minutes.
    The gameplay Is Better than FIFA
  • Disgruntledas
    517 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It’s pretty pathetic, when we finally will have a scan for Jack Grealish (god forbid he transfers 😰) that we have to wait till November, like honestly these November scans need to change to be from big players throughout Europe rather than just 7-8 players from the promoted teams.

Jack Grealish Won’t be transferring Villa have brought in some good players for scanning it is never 7-8 players with promoted teams nov update is always 50-70 scans

*43 faces, which is pretty ❤️❤️❤️❤️ poor, and hypothetically speaking if Grealish was transferred he wouldn’t receive a scanned face until fifa 21, which is ❤️❤️❤️❤️.. pes give that amount in one update and I can tell you having Adama Traore not scanned last year was pretty ❤️❤️❤️❤️.. so its not the whole promoted team
  • mickjacobjr
    1692 posts Play-Off Hero

*43 faces, which is pretty **** poor, and hypothetically speaking if Grealish was transferred he wouldn’t receive a scanned face until fifa 21, which is ****.. pes give that amount in one update and I can tell you having Adama Traore not scanned last year was pretty ****.. so its not the whole promoted team

Traore was signed by wolves after ea scanned team that’s why he ain’t it
  • AndyApple
    153 posts Has Potential To Be Special

*43 faces, which is pretty **** poor, and hypothetically speaking if Grealish was transferred he wouldn’t receive a scanned face until fifa 21, which is ****.. pes give that amount in one update and I can tell you having Adama Traore not scanned last year was pretty ****.. so its not the whole promoted team

Traore was signed by wolves after ea scanned team that’s why he ain’t it

Pretty sure he was either scanned at villa or boro in premier league though
  • mickjacobjr
    1692 posts Play-Off Hero
    He wasn’t scanned at Middlesbrough as like his wolves move was on deadline day
  • CaptainJack13
    728 posts An Exciting Prospect

Bit of a joke that they scan the promoted teams before the transfer window closes though and then it still takes until November for them to be added to the game. Especially as the transfer window in England closes in early to mid August 😅
  • Tom0307
    188 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited July 2019

That was long.

Well I have both and I find the gameplay in PES more enjoyable tbh and it's not hard to switch one to the other, once you've stuck an option file into the game then there's not really any licenses lacking. I'm sorry you've had to spend hours changing the kits but if you download an option file you can do every kit in the game within minutes and you're done for the year.

My point was that someone said they'd be happy to pay for DLC starheads but PES, with their less budget and less revenue, give you SIX DLCs throughout the year for completely free! There's barely a player in PES you'd want a starhead for that doesn't have one so of course if you want your own product to be better you would look at the competition to stay competitive. What's EA's excuse for not providing that level of customer service and engagement? Konami give the impression they listen which EA could not be worse at.

Of course you should pay attention to PES, if you want authenticity they set the bar for authentic licences and they set the bar for the amount of starheads in the game. Look at the UEFA licenses, they had the UCL and Europa anthems, plus a new anthem for the final like it is in real life. EA had to patch the anthem for the UCL because they'd used the wrong one on launch and they didn't even bother with the Europa league one. Same with club licenses, they can all the players and their tattoos, scan the whole stadium and tunnel whereas FIFA do a few faces (without tattoos) and 3D model the stadium which has led to a whole thread on here pointing out all the mistakes in the stadiums in game.

The point is that PES, the much smaller game, is doing all these good things and it's not unreasonable to expect EA to pull out the same stops and we shouldn't have to pay extra for something that PES does for free.

Oh and I'm still here in the hopes that FIFA will match up to the good things that PES is doing. I enjoy both but it's worth pointing out the good things PES does, especially in connection to starheads and authenticity.
  • mickjacobjr
    1692 posts Play-Off Hero

Bit of a joke that they scan the promoted teams before the transfer window closes though and then it still takes until November for them to be added to the game. Especially as the transfer window in England closes in early to mid August 😅

I agree Fulham were scanned after deadline day last yr
  • Dekart
    15 posts Ball Boy
    EA is f**kin lazy noobs, they should make hundreds of custom faces for serie a players, ligue 1 and Barcelona. Only reason why they dont do it is laziness...
  • HarryKein
    519 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2019
    Dekart wrote: »
    EA is f**kin lazy noobs, they should make hundreds of custom faces for serie a players, ligue 1 and Barcelona. Only reason why they dont do it is laziness...

That's the truth
  • Tom0307
    HarryKein wrote: »

That's the truth

No need, they make all the money without that
  • Renatos
    478 posts Sunday League Hero
    Guys let's go back on track and mention the players which we want to be scaned let them know as they dont have any idea about players (the scanning team looks like they know more about tennis than football) one guy mentioned we should pay the face dlc during the season which I do understand him. Looking to EA they only care about FUt as they make money from them, they make them to spend money, they can say the same like us " we spend £60 for a game we want everything free" but not they are happy to spend because they are been entertained all the season.
    And us? After 1 month I cant even play as it gets borred. All of us if during the year they offer us 100 extra faces for £10-15 I bet all of you will purchased without thinking twice because it would be opportunity to start play again with a game we spend £60
  • TeamExtreme17
    5322 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2019
    Why has Dele only got a hand bandage on one hand? Was it to make it look like new authentic undershirt style in trailer? And will he STILL wear a white hand bandage with Away and 3rd kits?

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

P.S. The colour White still doesn't look WHITE..
    Post edited by TeamExtreme17 on
  • PPerfect_CJ
    122 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Why has Dele only got a hand bandage on one hand? Was it to make it look like new authentic undershirt style in trailer? And will he STILL wear a white hand bandage with Away and 3rd kits?

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

And all of the darker colors are going to be washed out AGAIN. :(
  • JimmyD252
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

Pretty sure he had a cast on his left hand at the end of last season so it's just a reflection of that
  • TeamExtreme17
    JimmyD252 wrote: »

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

Pretty sure he had a cast on his left hand at the end of last season so it's just a reflection of that

Aghh right, typical :D
  • Jeyj38
    1306 posts Professional

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

I think it was black in UCL.
  • Bouboe112
    514 posts An Exciting Prospect
    HarryKein wrote: »

That's the truth

No need, they make all the money without that

They would make more if they just gave authentic faces to most players. I never spend money on ut but if i see them doing their best and giving us the real authentic deal i will reward them with fps purchases. But now they wont get a penny except the price of the game
  • Howler19
    1008 posts Professional

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

So because of that he will have that cast in FIFA for the next seven years.
  • TeamExtreme17
    Howler19 wrote: »

6AQ0FqE.jpg

SYMw4qD.jpg

So because of that he will have that cast in FIFA for the next seven years.

The first squad update should remove it.
  • Griezmannia

That was long.

Well I have both and I find the gameplay in PES more enjoyable tbh and it's not hard to switch one to the other, once you've stuck an option file into the game then there's not really any licenses lacking. I'm sorry you've had to spend hours changing the kits but if you download an option file you can do every kit in the game within minutes and you're done for the year.

My point was that someone said they'd be happy to pay for DLC starheads but PES, with their less budget and less revenue, give you SIX DLCs throughout the year for completely free! There's barely a player in PES you'd want a starhead for that doesn't have one so of course if you want your own product to be better you would look at the competition to stay competitive. What's EA's excuse for not providing that level of customer service and engagement? Konami give the impression they listen which EA could not be worse at.

Of course you should pay attention to PES, if you want authenticity they set the bar for authentic licences and they set the bar for the amount of starheads in the game. Look at the UEFA licenses, they had the UCL and Europa anthems, plus a new anthem for the final like it is in real life. EA had to patch the anthem for the UCL because they'd used the wrong one on launch and they didn't even bother with the Europa league one. Same with club licenses, they can all the players and their tattoos, scan the whole stadium and tunnel whereas FIFA do a few faces (without tattoos) and 3D model the stadium which has led to a whole thread on here pointing out all the mistakes in the stadiums in game.

The point is that PES, the much smaller game, is doing all these good things and it's not unreasonable to expect EA to pull out the same stops and we shouldn't have to pay extra for something that PES does for free.

Oh and I'm still here in the hopes that FIFA will match up to the good things that PES is doing. I enjoy both but it's worth pointing out the good things PES does, especially in connection to starheads and authenticity.

Yeah I can tend to be a little long winded. I haven't bothered with editing any teams in PES since several years ago so maybe the option file you speak of isn't something I was aware of or wasn't an option the last time I took on the endeavor. As far as gameplay... it's different and I like the way FIFA plays and thus I don't like PES. It's a matter of opinion obviously so I theres no right or wrong on that.

And by the way I want to point out that I couldnt agree more with you on what you feel EA SHOULD take notice of and in-turn do with the game. I agree with you 100%. The point of my post is that isn't how big business works, and that's a fact. PES offers all those things because if they didn't, the game wouldn't have any relevance. When you are the little guy trying to fight off the big competition, you look at what their weaknesses and you make sure those are your strengths. They have done their job on that. It doesn't create a precedent of " if the little guy can do this, there's no reason we can't do it!" It's the exact inverse situation. The little guy is doing it BECAUSE the big guy ISN'T. That's the selling point. It's why Subaru almost exclusively makes AWD vehicles. Nobody else is doing it. And they may not have all the fancy features and bells and whistles and reliability as some other brands... but if you want an awd car and many different models, shapes and sizes to choose from you go to Subaru. That is their niche.

If the only thing I cared about were starheads I'd be playing PES, hands down. EA makes more money than Konami by a massive margin, they have cornered the ultimate team market, have monopolized the competitive online market... they clearly have no interest in comparing themselves to PES. They don't have to. It's Konami's job to tell us why we should switch from the titan to them. EA has no interest in keeping a small percentage of it's base happy (us), or trying to convert the small percentage of die-hard PES fans over to their brand. If you're at the top of the mountain, you aren't looking down at the people still standing at the base in hopes that you can get some tips on climbing.

Again, I'm totally with you on how things SHOULD be, but I think we both know I'm right on how things actually are. EA is a money machine, they are lazy considering the assets they have and they effectively know how to market. They are the videogame equivalent of Peter Jackson. "Hey... let's turn this one book into three 3-hour long movies!"

Am I PISSED that the bundesliga scan wasn't included last year? Oh hell yes. What am I looking forward to this year that will once again make me buy the game on day 1? .....Bundesliga scan. They got me again. 'nuff said. They disappoint me this year but then promise ❤️❤️❤️❤️ they should have done a decade ago will be there next year, and I bite everytime. I can't switch to PES so I'm stuck with FIFA. They know it, they love it, and they aren't going to change because the typical consumer isn't going to let it stop them from dropping the cash every year. Sad facts, but facts nontheless.
  • Tom0307

That was long.

Yeah I can tend to be a little long winded. I haven't bothered with editing any teams in PES since several years ago so maybe the option file you speak of isn't something I was aware of or wasn't an option the last time I took on the endeavor. As far as gameplay... it's different and I like the way FIFA plays and thus I don't like PES. It's a matter of opinion obviously so I theres no right or wrong on that.

And by the way I want to point out that I couldnt agree more with you on what you feel EA SHOULD take notice of and in-turn do with the game. I agree with you 100%. The point of my post is that isn't how big business works, and that's a fact. PES offers all those things because if they didn't, the game wouldn't have any relevance. When you are the little guy trying to fight off the big competition, you look at what their weaknesses and you make sure those are your strengths. They have done their job on that. It doesn't create a precedent of " if the little guy can do this, there's no reason we can't do it!" It's the exact inverse situation. The little guy is doing it BECAUSE the big guy ISN'T. That's the selling point. It's why Subaru almost exclusively makes AWD vehicles. Nobody else is doing it. And they may not have all the fancy features and bells and whistles and reliability as some other brands... but if you want an awd car and many different models, shapes and sizes to choose from you go to Subaru. That is their niche.

If the only thing I cared about were starheads I'd be playing PES, hands down. EA makes more money than Konami by a massive margin, they have cornered the ultimate team market, have monopolized the competitive online market... they clearly have no interest in comparing themselves to PES. They don't have to. It's Konami's job to tell us why we should switch from the titan to them. EA has no interest in keeping a small percentage of it's base happy (us), or trying to convert the small percentage of die-hard PES fans over to their brand. If you're at the top of the mountain, you aren't looking down at the people still standing at the base in hopes that you can get some tips on climbing.

Again, I'm totally with you on how things SHOULD be, but I think we both know I'm right on how things actually are. EA is a money machine, they are lazy considering the assets they have and they effectively know how to market. They are the videogame equivalent of Peter Jackson. "Hey... let's turn this one book into three 3-hour long movies!"

Am I PISSED that the bundesliga scan wasn't included last year? Oh hell yes. What am I looking forward to this year that will once again make me buy the game on day 1? .....Bundesliga scan. They got me again. 'nuff said. They disappoint me this year but then promise **** they should have done a decade ago will be there next year, and I bite everytime. I can't switch to PES so I'm stuck with FIFA. They know it, they love it, and they aren't going to change because the typical consumer isn't going to let it stop them from dropping the cash every year. Sad facts, but facts nontheless.

But that's the thing, you compared the two to a family run business and a giant conglomerate. Konami isn't a small independent studio and has a fair budget, it's just not at the size of EA. That being said, I don't think you should ever stop trying to compare and calling out EA to try and improve the product else you just admit to giving up and accepting things as they are.

I think in the last few years we've seen a trend of more people like myself buying both because we're still into FIFA but have got sick of a lot of EA's stuff, so gradually more people will do that and exclusively buy PES if EA continue to have such a disregard for their customers. In the long run, the more PES can cultivate that reputation the more sales they'll earn each year before something massive happens like they manage to outbid FIFA for the Premier League licence for example. It's a long way off, but if they secure a massive license like that somewhere down the line, I think FIFA will be on the ropes. It was huge for them getting the UEFA licence in 2009 and that helped them stay afloat at the time, but there wasn't such ill will toward EA as there is now.

Given the same budgets and licences, PES seem like they'd make the better game so I feel like it's worth supporting them and continuing to highlight areas where they do it better than FIFA in the hopes that EA might listen and start doing similar things in order to stop the rot and keep it's existing customer base. I've bought every FIFA since 2003 but this is the first year that if they don't do anything with career mode I'll probably give it a miss.
  • Quiffed
    535 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Perez leaves Espanyol for Qatar. Another, presumably new starhead, gone🙁
  • Moose Factory
    6219 posts Big Money Move
    Renatos wrote: »
    This thread is full of blog writers now. My god I cant even be bother to scroll down .This is a starhead thread, I think some of you here are missing the point

You mean bad influencers ;) ? I love how the game is still two months away and we're already at page 66 of this thread. Hope you're enjoying your summer Andy...
  • TeamExtreme17
    Renatos wrote: »
    This thread is full of blog writers now. My god I cant even be bother to scroll down .This is a starhead thread, I think some of you here are missing the point

You mean bad influencers ;) ? I love how the game is still two months away and we're already at page 66 of this thread. Hope you're enjoying your summer Andy...

Yeah if EA gave us some Starhead news wed actually have something to discuss / talk about :D
  • Griezmannia

That was long.

Am I PISSED that the bundesliga scan wasn't included last year? Oh hell yes. What am I looking forward to this year that will once again make me buy the game on day 1? .....Bundesliga scan. They got me again. 'nuff said. They disappoint me this year but then promise **** they should have done a decade ago will be there next year, and I bite everytime. I can't switch to PES so I'm stuck with FIFA. They know it, they love it, and they aren't going to change because the typical consumer isn't going to let it stop them from dropping the cash every year. Sad facts, but facts nontheless.

But that's the thing, you compared the two to a family run business and a giant conglomerate. Konami isn't a small independent studio and has a fair budget, it's just not at the size of EA. That being said, I don't think you should ever stop trying to compare and calling out EA to try and improve the product else you just admit to giving up and accepting things as they are.

I think in the last few years we've seen a trend of more people like myself buying both because we're still into FIFA but have got sick of a lot of EA's stuff, so gradually more people will do that and exclusively buy PES if EA continue to have such a disregard for their customers. In the long run, the more PES can cultivate that reputation the more sales they'll earn each year before something massive happens like they manage to outbid FIFA for the Premier League licence for example. It's a long way off, but if they secure a massive license like that somewhere down the line, I think FIFA will be on the ropes. It was huge for them getting the UEFA licence in 2009 and that helped them stay afloat at the time, but there wasn't such ill will toward EA as there is now.

Given the same budgets and licences, PES seem like they'd make the better game so I feel like it's worth supporting them and continuing to highlight areas where they do it better than FIFA in the hopes that EA might listen and start doing similar things in order to stop the rot and keep it's existing customer base. I've bought every FIFA since 2003 but this is the first year that if they don't do anything with career mode I'll probably give it a miss.

No I mean you're not wrong, they aren't exactly minnows but there is a massive gap. Again, completely agree with our dissent toward EA and our expectations of better things I just feel that, pretty obviously, expecting them to have the same priorities as PES is a waste of our breath. This is an age-old concept. The smaller company does something to set itself aside. For years we had full HD gaming on PC, PS and XBOX while Nintendo was essentially leagues behind but had a huge catalogue of exclusive games that everyone loves and they made it work for them. If they had ❤️❤️❤️❤️ games as well as ❤️❤️❤️❤️ graphics... that wouldn't have worked. If they had all the same games but worse graphics.... wouldn't have worked. When certain aspects are lacking, you have to have some x-factor, and that's the same thing we're seeing here. Konami has marketed PES as FIFA's direct competitor for years. Their campaign has been " This is why you should buy PES this year instead of FIFA". I have never seen EA take the approach of " This is why you should play FIFA instead of PES".

They don't see them as equals, or relevant competition and they very clearly aren't concerned with the gap slowly closing. Maybe one day it gets to the point where they must pay attention and they have to do something big to win some of us back, but businesses are run reactively in most cases. They won't proactively start heeding all of our demands, they'll wait until it costs them real money before they make changes. And 90% of players won't leave the series. That's what it would take, a massive drop off in sales. Again, they knew we were pissed about all the witheld scans last year and we all threatened to switch to PES over it. Yet, they didn't feel pressured into releasing those scans mid-year and essentially just blocked out our continued griping. We are easy to ignore, it's wrong, but it's the way it is.

I agree the margins are closing. I'd like nothing more than to see the game adequately boycotted in an effort to incite meaningful change. But for every one of us who are angry and disappointed about CM and starheads and lack of integration of our feedback, I know just as many are calling us 'whiners' and honestly would play the game every year even if they didn't update the kits or faces at all. My dad plays FIFA as much as I do (even at 50 years old which is cool) and I recently found out he doesn't even install the updates. He said, " I don't care, I just turn it on and play". People will keep playing it competitively in tournaments and ultimate team addicts don't have an alternative.

Honestly, I think EA are more likely to let PES surpass them in CM, starheads and some lesser licenses and would even one day just drop CM entirely and come out with a FUT and online only annual update file before they'd try to improve and compete. And for people who think that's crazy, there is a long history of companies getting rid of content or services which have drawn contention in favour of focusing everything on their more easily monetizable features. They could easily decide one day that 'PES and FM are the far superior titles in terms of career mode and realism so we're just going to stick to FUT, online play, the Journey (or whatever the next mode like that may be called) and cede that other market to the other guys.' Not saying it will happen, I'm just being realistic about the scenario.

They also know that consumers are never pleased and as such clearly just aren't bothering to placate us. They know they could scan the entirety of Serie A next year for example, and people would be saying " why the hell did you waste your team scanning BOLOGNA when 'so and so' still has a five-year-old face!?! Whereas Bologna fans will be thrilled. That's just the way it is. They will always underwhelm, and we will always be underwhelmed. Clearly the cycle has discouraged them from even trying. PES puts large amounts of effort into consistent improvement in the effort to drive up sales. FIFA saves money by investing next to nothing in improvement in-season and year upon year and has found that to be a profitable strategy. PES's philosophy is that you have to spend money to make money. EA's is to spend as little as possible as to not eat into overall profits. That's the marquee difference between a decent-sized company and a heavy hitter. I have long felt that smaller studios make better, more content-rich games. There's a reason for that.

Rant over!