Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    Shshj wrote: »

It's not that much in today's market, look at Madrid spending around 300m this summer for their rebuild.
  • Mike
    10550 posts Has That Special Something
    Retro_G wrote: »

It's not that much in today's market, look at Madrid spending around 300m this summer for their rebuild.
    It’s loads. £130 mil for 2 players from mid table clubs
  • Shshj
    14347 posts Has That Special Something

I don't think AWB's fee is that outrageous, but Maguire's definitely is all things considered.

Then again that's the PL market these days. £60m for Diop, £60m for Wilson, £100m for Zaha. It's silly.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

I don't think AWB's fee is that outrageous, but Maguire's definitely is all things considered.

Then again that's the PL market these days. £60m for Diop, £60m for Wilson, £100m for Zaha. It's silly.

AWB's fee isn't outrageous at all. Quality RB, ~45 PL games, only 21, his best years ahead of him. He could quite easily be our RB for the next 10+ years.

The Maguire fee just about everyone agrees is a lot though, whether you're happy with the signing or not.
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 2019

Yeah Maguire's fee is a bit over the top, but we hadn't got many options. The fans will soon forget about the fee if he is putting in good performances week in, week out.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019
    Hopefully Maguire gets our last 2 preseason games, Spurs game will probably be too early even if the deal is finished before then
  • Sellish
    10206 posts Has That Special Something
    Looking forward to see Maguire in a United shirt. Will be a great back 4 with Tuanzebe & Dalot as back up.

Don't think he will justify the price at all but as long as we still sign Bruno I won't complain.
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain
    Need to hear from Ducker, Peach, or Stone before I get excited.

Too many false dawns
  • Ahmer50x

Might be in the minority but I’d rather wait for Sancho next summer
  • ViVaWhom
    9435 posts League Winner
    not worth

he didnt impress me at all against arsenal in EL
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Might be in the minority but I’d rather wait for Sancho next summer

Completely agree with you. Wanted Sancho right at the start of the summer before the news came out that it wasn't possible this window. That hasn't changed, would rather go with what we have at RW this season and get Sancho next summer.
  • Wyojasond
    18958 posts World Class
    I don’t know why they keep linking us to Pepe 😂

Edwards came out and said we have zero interest. Even told Lille’s owners that 🤦‍♂️

I think Lille is just doing all they can to cash in on him, but nobody is interested in paying 70m
  • Tornado31619
    34585 posts National Team Captain
    Mike wrote: »

You spent £110m on Mahrez and Stones, two players also from midtable clubs. In fact, the only clubs even remotely comparable to Europe’s elite to have sold you a player since Pep came in are Monaco and BVB. Spurs weren’t as well-established in Europe when you signed Walker.

The fees are stupid, yes. But yours haven’t been that much better, and they would have been far worse if the Neymar transfer had occurred earlier. However, your signings have also helped you win the league. It’s not about how much you spend - it’s not like the league will deduct points (although FFP might become a concern) - it’s about how well you spend. And if you need to spend, you absolutely should. The fact of the matter is that he will be a massive upgrade on the chuckle brothers.
  • Mike

You spent £110m on Mahrez and Stones, two players also from midtable clubs. In fact, the only clubs even remotely comparable to Europe’s elite to have sold you a player since Pep came in are Monaco and BVB. Spurs weren’t as well-established in Europe when you signed Walker.

The fees are stupid, yes. But yours haven’t been that much better, and they would have been far worse if the Neymar transfer had occurred earlier. However, your signings have also helped you win the league. It’s not about how much you spend - it’s not like the league will deduct points (although FFP might become a concern) - it’s about how well you spend. And if you need to spend, you absolutely should. The fact of the matter is that he will be a massive upgrade on the chuckle brothers.
    Mahrez was premier league winner and won the PFA Player of the Year. We signed players from Atelti and Real . Do you think they are not well established European clubs?

Apart from Mendy, we've spent incredibly well since Pep has joined. Great prices for world class players with Champions League experience.
  • Ahmer50x
    edited July 2019

Same pattern as AWB repeating.

Castles—>Delaney—>Everyone else—>BBC—>Official
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35965 posts World Cup Winner
    edited July 2019
    I can see Pepe struggling in the PL
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019
    Can't be long now until the deal is done.
  • Tornado31619
    34585 posts National Team Captain

Mahrez was premier league winner and won the PFA Player of the Year. We signed players from Atelti and Real . Do you think they are not well established European clubs?

Apart from Mendy, we've spent incredibly well since Pep has joined. Great prices for world class players with Champions League experience.

I forgot about Danilo and Rodri. But the prices also look a lot better now because of the Neymar inflation. Besides, you’re also in a much better position to attract players than we are.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2019
    Pepe talk just sounds like Lille drumming up interest. Seemed lose with ball the times I've seen him. Prem defenders would eat that up for days.

Also our link to it is a load of rubbish, not a fit when we just sign AWB who plays more of a support role where Pepe needs overlapping attacking RBs so he can come in side. Many years we have had space issues with players all wanting the 10 role his transfer wouldn't solve our RW issue in the slightest if anything it would be worse.

Again AWB was a steal. Maguire I don't care about fees it's not our money and after the owners have took 1 billion out of the club I'll take any spending. As @Shshj and @Retro_G said no one will give a toss if he fills the clear need we have. Many agree 50m was fair 70/80m the difference means very little in the grand scheme he could be worth that to us when he fits the need so much. How much is Greenwood going to save us? :p

@Mike A City fan trying to ridicule a club spending money it has earnt. :D

Pep first window with Champions league football

John Stones £47,500,000

From reddit:- based on the revenue increase of top 10 clubs averaged to get the buying power of football clubs in the last 18 years so even negating PSG and CIty hidden income. 8.34% per year Inflation. Takes that near 60m.

Kyle Walker 45m at 27 50m AWB at 21 never mind inflation alone that is a steal.
    Post edited by WelshWizard on
  • Indrit
    1966 posts Play-Off Hero
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    not worth

he didnt impress me at all against arsenal in EL

That would be because he didn't play against Arsenal in the EL this season. He plays for Lille, not Rennes. Talking rubbish fella.
  • Mike
    Pepe talk just sounds like Lille drumming up interest. Seemed lose with ball the times I've seen him. Prem defenders would eat that up for days.

Also our link to it is a load of rubbish, not a fit when we just sign AWB who plays more of a support role where Pepe needs overlapping attacking RBs so he can come in side. Many years we have had space issues with players all wanting the 10 role his transfer wouldn't solve our RW issue in the slightest if anything it would be worse.

Again AWB was a steal. Maguire I don't care about fees it's not our money and after the owners have took 1 billion out of the club I'll take any spending. As @Shshj and @Retro_G said no one will give a toss if he fills the clear need we have. Many agree 50m was fair 70/80m the difference means very little in the grand scheme he could be worth that to us when he fits the need so much. How much is Greenwood going to save us? :p

John Stones £47,500,000

From reddit:- based on the revenue increase of top 10 clubs averaged to get the buying power of football clubs in the last 18 years. 8.34% per year Inflation takes that to 71m

I'm not ridiculing the money spent, I'm ridiculing you lot justifying the money spent
  • WelshWizard

John Stones £47,500,000

From reddit:- based on the revenue increase of top 10 clubs averaged to get the buying power of football clubs in the last 18 years. 8.34% per year Inflation.

I'm not ridiculing the money spent, I'm ridiculing you lot justifying the money spent

City did exactly the same with Champions League football. At times of transfers, You bought Stones and Mahrez from mid table clubs.

Mid table clubs? You know what your doing and I bit when I should know better. :D

Rio 15th
    Keane 22nd
    Saha 14th
    Rooney 17th
    Van der Sar 13th

Oh no what ❤️❤️❤️❤️ mid table players.

• El_Nino
    10451 posts Has That Special Something

John Stones £47,500,000

From reddit:- based on the revenue increase of top 10 clubs averaged to get the buying power of football clubs in the last 18 years. 8.34% per year Inflation.

City did exactly the same with Champions League football. At times of transfers, You bought Stones and Mahrez from mid table clubs.

Mid table clubs? You know what your doing and I bit when I should know better. :D

Rio 15th
    Keane 22nd
    Saha 14th
    Rooney 17th
    Van der Sar 13th

Oh no what **** mid table players.

Including Saha in that list is the weirdest ❤️❤️❤️❤️ thing I’ve ever seen
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    El_Nino wrote: »

John Stones £47,500,000

Rio 15th
    Keane 22nd
    Saha 14th
    Rooney 17th
    Van der Sar 13th

Including Saha in that list is the weirdest **** thing I’ve ever seen

The fact that he included him doesn't negate his overall point though.
  • WelshWizard
    El_Nino wrote: »

John Stones £47,500,000

Rio 15th
    Keane 22nd
    Saha 14th
    Rooney 17th
    Van der Sar 13th

Including Saha in that list is the weirdest **** thing I’ve ever seen

:D It's to the extreme granted but despite injuries he contributed to the club.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019
  • Mike
    My original point was mainly aimed at Retro saying that £130 mil isn't that much because Madrid have spent £300 mil. £150 mil for 3 players is a crazy amount, especially considering how little each player has achieved. Madrid are buying legit world class players with a European pedigree.
  • Ahmer50x
    My original point was mainly aimed at Retro saying that £130 mil isn't that much because Madrid have spent £300 mil. £150 mil for 3 players is a crazy amount, especially considering how little each player has achieved. Madrid are buying legit world class players with a European pedigree.

I'm sorry but if you're trying to argue that Ferlan Mendy is a more accomplished fullback than AWB than you're just blind. Mendy's been playing in a farmer's league while AWB topped fullback defensive stats in all of Europe and was one of the best RBs in the Prem.