Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Mike
    10419 posts Has That Special Something
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Mike wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s controversial to say TAA is the best RB in the world is it?
    Walker is much better

You are joking?
    Only thing TAA has over him is his crossing
  • Keano
    16616 posts World Class
    Walker is much better

You are joking?

You never know when he’s serious anymore tbf. But thats a questionable statement.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Walker is much better

You are joking?
    Only thing TAA has over him is his crossing

Behave.

f39dbd577f09f6d4a416c3f1c201501e.png

Imagine if you had a RB on the same level as Trent offensively.

For right back in a team which holds the ball for 80% of games 4 successful crosses is absolutely shocking.
  • Kellnerr
    3814 posts National Call-Up
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    yeah most full backs for top sides are generally top tier when it comes to attacking and not as good defensively. We will see if he has it in his locker.

Kimmich is brilliant going forward and defensively. I rate him as the best right back in the world at the moment, you could see how much Munich missed him in there second leg against Liverpool. I'm hoping AWB can develop into a similar player.

You can probably ask any German about Kimmich and he will tell you that he's absolute garbage defensively.

You should know more than most, how good defensively Kimmich can be, when the system is set-up to defend. He was MOTM at Anfield, put on a defensive masterclass. Yes he gets caught out of position when Munich are playing their normal game, he is instructed to bomb forward. He started his career as a centre back, can excel in defensive situations. Kimmich is the most complete right back in the world at the moment.

Kimmich started his career as central mid. It was mostly Pep that used him at CB a couple of times and in a 3atb. MOTM at Anfield was clearly Javi Martinez btw who had one of the best defensive displays as an individual I've ever seen.
    He already plays in CM again for Germany and wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lot of games in that position for Bayern too this season.

Walker is another brilliant example of how a fullback doesn't need to be a good defender if he plays in a good team. Just look how bad he is for England with worse players around him.

• ViVaWhom
    9353 posts League Winner
    Walker also doesnt provide any attacking threat at city, he was so good at bombing forward at spurs but he is used as cover for pace at city
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2019
    The issue I have with signing Maguire for that much... is that I'd rather we spent "big" on a CB when we had CL to offer, to increase the chances of signing a better CB than Maguire. Genuinely don't feel he's the CB that takes us up a level.

He takes you up a level from what you already have but not sure he and Lindelof is a title winning CB partnership.

He increases our chance of locking down top 4, sure, but our chances were pretty good even with Smalling (despite everyone's opinion of him largely down to his awful ball control).

I don't care that we are potentially about to sign him... the cost is just absurd. Should be getting a guaranteed world class CB for that price.

We don't get a "World Class CB" for that price. For right now it's seen as the right risk free move even if I would of prefered going for a prospect or 2 and hoping we lucked out. Maguire is an upgrade on Smalling on ball at feet and in the air which could be huge when combined with everything but let's not forget Smalling is our best defender and will be a useful squad member but can we get rid of Jones and Rojo yet? :D My worry is we won't look to progress with taking punts on prospects to better AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw and keep the deadwood around standing still instead of being ready to really challenge.

I disagree... I'm sure you could get a world class defender for 80-100m, or at the very least one with the potential to be or on the cusp of being.

Definition of World Class? Let's get some names cause my list is very very small and when you add the role required it's even smaller.

Gambling on Potential sure as I said I could buy that but world class from the off no chance. My definition of world class = none available to us and would be 100m+. That definition drop standards there is a group and Maguire is in it with his world class attributes and when you consider role he is right at the top. People can disagree but that's my opinion that gets backed up with the stats. People are not considering the role of a Lindelof partner or including similar players to Maguire but calling them World Class.

If potential is the argument like I said there are plenty worst players than Maguire right now that you could of gambled on for the role.(Joachim Andersen,Ibrahima Konaté, Félix Eboa Eboa, Jules Koundé, Issa Diop,Manuel Akanji, Nikola Milenkovic just to name a few.)

We have gone short term rather than long term in this position which has been seen as needing instant improvement for years.

• Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    yeah most full backs for top sides are generally top tier when it comes to attacking and not as good defensively. We will see if he has it in his locker.

Kimmich is brilliant going forward and defensively. I rate him as the best right back in the world at the moment, you could see how much Munich missed him in there second leg against Liverpool. I'm hoping AWB can develop into a similar player.

You can probably ask any German about Kimmich and he will tell you that he's absolute garbage defensively.

You should know more than most, how good defensively Kimmich can be, when the system is set-up to defend. He was MOTM at Anfield, put on a defensive masterclass. Yes he gets caught out of position when Munich are playing their normal game, he is instructed to bomb forward. He started his career as a centre back, can excel in defensive situations. Kimmich is the most complete right back in the world at the moment.

Kimmich started his career as central mid. It was mostly Pep that used him at CB a couple of times and in a 3atb. MOTM at Anfield was clearly Javi Martinez btw who had one of the best defensive displays as an individual I've ever seen.
    He already plays in CM again for Germany and wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lot of games in that position for Bayern too this season.

Walker is another brilliant example of how a fullback doesn't need to be a good defender if he plays in a good team. Just look how bad he is for England with worse players around him.

Typo, meant to say centre defensive midfielder, but yeah he also played centre back, has proved he is good defensively. Kimmich was brilliant at Anfield defensively, completely shut down your attack on the left, was my MOTM.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/champions-league/2018-2019/football-news-liverpool-frustrated-by-bayern-in-anfield-stalemate_sto7150686/story.shtml
  • WelshWizard
    Who would've thought that POTS Shaw and Lindelof might be seen as the weakest area of defence after this window :D
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain
    Who would've thought that POTS Shaw and Lindelof might be seen as the weakest area of defence after this window :D

I'm just pleased we'll finally have a solid defence again. Will be the best defence we've had for quite a while now.
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    Apollo wrote: »

I'm just pleased we'll finally have a solid defence again. Will be the best defence we've had for quite a while now.

Another creative midfielder is of the utmost importance. All teams have to do is double up on Pogba, shut him down and we struggle.
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019

Another creative midfielder is of the utmost importance. All teams have to do is double up on Pogba, shut him down and we struggle.

Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting business would be done when Maguire is announced, we without doubt need to address the midfield. Was just referring to the defence in my post.

We all know we really need two midfielders, one DM and one CM (and obviously a second CM if Pogba goes).
  • WelshWizard

Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting business would be done when Maguire is announced, we without doubt need to address the midfield. Was just referring to the defence in my post.

We all know we really need two midfielders, one DM and one CM (and obviously a second CM if Pogba goes).

Yeah all the good work will go to waste if we don't complete at least the 5 signings. No point in having CB freed up to be able to break lines if the midfield can't create and no point in solidifying the right side if they can just bypass the CDM.
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain

Yeah all the good work will go to waste if we don't complete at least the 5 signings. No point in having CB freed up to be able to break lines if the midfield can't create and no point in solidifying the right side if they can just bypass the CDM.

My biggest worry ahead of the Chelsea game is that Matic might start. If we get a DM right at the end of the window, whoever we get might not have had enough time with the squad to be picked. If that happens, I'd rather play McTominay or Fred there until the new DM is ready. Chelsea will press more under Lampard and Matic won't be able to handle it.
  • WelshWizard

My biggest worry ahead of the Chelsea game is that Matic might start. If we get a DM right at the end of the window, whoever we get might not have had enough time with the squad to be picked. If that happens, I'd rather play McTominay or Fred there until the new DM is ready. Chelsea will press more under Lampard and Matic won't be able to handle it.

Starting to think that it is the plan for McTominay to play there with more creativity ahead of him but worry is we drop the intent to fit a Matic in for the bigger games. Should learn more back end of preseason but Matic is looking a huge liability again and I will take anyone ahead of him at this point.
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain

"in the next three weeks"

Judge and Woodward going to have a party for two weeks or something to celebrate signing Maguire when it happens? :joy:
  • HysxteriA
    4072 posts National Call-Up

"in the next three weeks"

Judge and Woodward going to have a party for two weeks or something to celebrate signing Maguire when it happens? :joy:

Ridiculous isn't it.
  • Shshj
    5142 posts Big Money Move
  • Ahmer50x
    24981 posts Player of the Year
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    So apparently United's first offer for Maguire was 40m.

Do the joke bid articles only come with Arsenal then or?
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain

What's the source of that? The BBC reported the 70m a while back, not sure where you've found that number from
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

What's the source of that? The BBC reported the 70m a while back, not sure where you've found that number from

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3900647/sources-man-utd-miles-away-from-maguire-deal

"But having made an initial offer of just £40m for Maguire last month, United remain a substantial distance from matching Leicester's wanting price for a player the Foxes signed from Hull City for an initial fee of £12m two years ago."
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3900647/sources-man-utd-miles-away-from-maguire-deal

"But having made an initial offer of just £40m for Maguire last month, United remain a substantial distance from matching Leicester's wanting price for a player the Foxes signed from Hull City for an initial fee of £12m two years ago."

I'd rather take the word of the BBC over ESPN. They reported £70m, nothing on an alleged £40m bid that I've seen.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

I'd rather take the word of the BBC over ESPN. They reported £70m, nothing on an alleged £40m bid that I've seen.

This was obviously your initial bids leading up to the 70m which was only recent.
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain

This was obviously your initial bids leading up to the 70m which was only recent.

Then why did nobody actually reliable report it?
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Not everything gets out there until later on. We had a big bid for Reus rejected in a window a few years back and it didn't get to the press.
  • Apollo
    20504 posts Club Captain

Not everything gets out there until later on. We had a big bid for Reus rejected in a window a few years back and it didn't get to the press.

I find it hard to believe that ESPN comes out with a credible news story after the fact, that nobody remotely reliable has reported. Seems like a clickbait story to me.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

I find it hard to believe that ESPN comes out with a credible news story after the fact, that nobody remotely reliable has reported. Seems like a clickbait story to me.

Mark Ogden was the reporter for that article he's quite reliable tbf.