Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• forearms
    5141 posts Big Money Move
    Mike wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Leicester probably going to use 1/4 of that to sign Tarkwoski and personally I think that will be a damn steal.

Maguire not a bad signing, and catches a lot of flack, but certainly solidifies your backline and has never really had injury issues. Yeah the price is ridiculous seeing as it will break VVDs price, but that’s the market 🤦‍♂️

How much would VVD cost now? You're talking the £130M + range.

VVD’s price tag going up has less to do with the market and more to do with his performances the last 18 months.

Maguire is a solid addition but has shown very little that he was worth that price tag. (I’ll be the first to admit though that VVD hadn’t really shown he was worth 75m when we bought him either so you really never know.)

This. The CB market has not inflated as much as some of the fans here are making it out to be. VVD’s gone up due to performances, not inflation. For 80m you expect a world class CB, we didn’t get that. Not do I see the guy reaching world class levels
    I think you'll be surprised how high Maguire's level actually is

Hes above average/good. I dont think anyone would dispute that he isnt world class.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    33123 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 2019
    Early days and said my piece on Maguire but if the structure on the potential 80m is right I'm actually quite happy with the price considering everything. 60m upfront when we were all happy at 50m is fair. Dunk and Tarkwoski are miles off and demanding near 50m from mid table sides :D Prices are making it so hard to work in this market when you Manchester United.

How much you rate the deal depends on how much you rate Maguire but one thing we can all agree on is that he better than what we got and instantly improves our defence. Can we please get rid of the Deadwood now? Anyone below Axel should just go. we need to be more flexible on player movement.

Yeah but the respective clubs for Dunk and tarkowski are asking the amounts they are only because they know LCFC are rinsing us
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 2019
    Signing Maguire has its advantages, he will settle quickly.
  • El_Nino
    5741 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2019

Tbf I don’t think anyone argues the player himself is a good signing for you guys.
    Improves your defence
    English
    Young enough but not too young
    Like you say knows the league/will settle easier than others.

But, and it’s a big but, 80million Ian utterly ridiculous for him; even in today’s market imo.(something I know most united fans agree with tbf)
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    The price is irrelevant when its not your money. Its just the fact that you could potentially spend that money better. But nobody knows, Mags could go up a level with United.

Either way that's two huge holes in United's defence plugged perfectly. The back line now has a very good balance about it.
  • ViVaWhom
    8990 posts League Winner
    i am not seeing any respectable source saying dunk and/or maguire deal being done
  • Apollo
    20080 posts Club Captain
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    i am not seeing any respectable source saying dunk and/or maguire deal being done

They haven't yet, you're not missing anything
  • Sellish
    10076 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 2019

I would love to sign him but 80m is a lot.
    Would rather wait another season for a better CB.

We will get top 4 with or without and won't win the league no mather what. So no real reason to sign him for 80m.

But this would be a solid back 4:
    AWB - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw

With Tuanzebe as back up.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    The issue I have with signing Maguire for that much... is that I'd rather we spent "big" on a CB when we had CL to offer, to increase the chances of signing a better CB than Maguire. Genuinely don't feel he's the CB that takes us up a level.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    The issue I have with signing Maguire for that much... is that I'd rather we spent "big" on a CB when we had CL to offer, to increase the chances of signing a better CB than Maguire. Genuinely don't feel he's the CB that takes us up a level.

He takes you up a level from what you already have but not sure he and Lindelof is a title winning CB partnership.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2019
    Sellish wrote: »

We will get top 4 with or without and won't win the league no mather what. So no real reason to sign him for 80m.

Again I would like to know who these better CBs are? and even then would they be available? Working in ifs and buts doesn't help when Ole thinks there is a clear need now at CB.

I agree it's a solid back 4 and think we would find it tough to better it even over time and money without changing policy and even scrapping players like Lindelof. It just doesn't work like that. It's all small margins and we are reaching the peak of what we can achieve in terms of starting XI squad.

Maguire
    James
    AWB
    Bruno
    Longstaff

and people were talking about needed one or 2 like a Sancho. Sometimes you have to wait for a dynasty to die and slip up and just do your best with what's available.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Again I would like to know who these better CBs are? and even then would they be available? Working in ifs and buts doesn't help when Ole thinks there is a clear need now at CB.

Diallo for starters. Available for less than half the price.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 2019
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Diallo for starters. Available for less than half the price.

All debatable on style and ability. The argument is a world class CBs in future windows.
  • WelshWizard

He takes you up a level from what you already have but not sure he and Lindelof is a title winning CB partnership.

Does Lindelof win a title? As he has many weaknesses that Maguire covers as much as anyone does. Why persist with Lindelof if he holds you back?
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain

Who're we going to sign next season? Kouilbally? You're talking about £130M for Kouilbally, there isn't many world class centre backs around, that you could realistically sign.
  • WelshWizard

Who're we going to sign next season? Kouilbally? You're talking about £130M for Kouilbally, there isn't many world class centre backs around, that you could realistically sign.

Either people are being liberal with the world class tag or they mean waiting for Koulibaly clause :D As I said small margins but Maguire is getting too much stick now.
  • Apollo
    20080 posts Club Captain
    Maguire improves us. A back four of the following is quality and is a big step up from anything we've had for quite a while:

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

He's a step up from what we have so I'm happy with the signing. I don't like the price as much as the next person, but I'm just happy that we're bringing in a really good, PL proven centre half.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited July 2019

He increases our chance of locking down top 4, sure, but our chances were pretty good even with Smalling (despite everyone's opinion of him largely down to his awful ball control).

I don't care that we are potentially about to sign him... the cost is just absurd. Should be getting a guaranteed world class CB for that price.
  • Apollo
    20080 posts Club Captain
    I'm not taking it as a given yet because reliable sources haven't confirmed it, but if the reports today are right the price is 60m + 20m in addons. That is better than paying £80m outright. If he is the success that Ole clearly believes he can be then we should have no problem paying those addons.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 2019

He increases our chance of locking down top 4, sure, but our chances were pretty good even with Smalling (despite everyone's opinion of him largely down to his awful ball control).

I don't care that we are potentially about to sign him... the cost is just absurd. Should be getting a guaranteed world class CB for that price.

We don't get a "World Class CB" for that price. For right now it's seen as the right risk free move even if I would of prefered going for a prospect or 2 and hoping we lucked out. Maguire is an upgrade on Smalling on ball at feet and in the air which could be huge when combined with everything but let's not forget Smalling is our best defender and will be a useful squad member but can we get rid of Jones and Rojo yet? :D My worry is we won't look to progress with taking punts on prospects to better AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw and keep the deadwood around standing still instead of being ready to really challenge.
  • Ahmer50x
    23739 posts Club Captain
    All the semi reliable ITKs I follow say deal done :joy:
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

But the thing is even with CL football you cannot get a guaranteed WC CB these days. There isn't many WC centre backs actually out there.

Maguire is the best you can realistically get due to your position right now. Its not your money and you're improving other areas so no room to complain unless he massively flops.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 2019

But the thing is even with CL football you cannot get a guaranteed WC CB these days. There isn't many WC centre backs actually out there.

Maguire is the best you can realistically get due to your position right now. Its not your money and you're improving other areas so no room to complain unless he massively flops.

Agree. I don't think you can even guarantee a WC CB until they have played for you. So few and teams just won't want to sell and your ending in markets with the big fish who can offer the same as you,

I was fine with people wanting to take risks at 50m but the talk was on getting better than Maguire when it's all opinions and small margins especially when in the market for a Lindelof partner.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 2019
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    All the semi reliable ITKs I follow say deal done :joy:

Just happy there seems to be some movement again the last week has been too slow with 3 needs on the table without anyone going.
  • Ahmer50x
    23739 posts Club Captain
    We need an aerially dominant CB who is comfortable on the ball.

Others may have potential to be better, but other than Koulibaly nobody is more proven for that role than Maguire.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 2019
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    We need an aerially dominant CB who is comfortable on the ball.

Others may have potential to be better, but other than Koulibaly nobody is more proven for that role than Maguire.

It's the safest play and best option for right now but I get people would want to take risks but the notion of getting someone better/more suit now or in future windows for a similar price I can't buy.

Individually 1v1 I have faith in all AWB/Shaw/Maguire/Lindelof/Smalling/Axel but It's the Unit that will be more important for the system and I have way more faith in it as Shaw AWB Maguire Lindelof.

With that defence I would be my most comfortable since Rafael Rio, Vidic and Evra. But it will go to waste if we don't protect it in CDM and CM which will be just as important we improve in this window if not more so. Wrap it up and move on Judge and Woodward.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Sometimes its about who actually fits the team and players around them/system around them. City achieved incredible things without a single world class CB in the squad. Laporte being the closest but he isn't world class.

The only true WC CB in this league and to be honest even the world at the moment is VVD.

You have a good blend of CB now with Lindelof and Maguire. A solid RB, decent LB and imo still a world class keeper in De Gea.

Mid is shoddy, attack is fairly decent.
  • Apollo
    20080 posts Club Captain
    Sometimes its about who actually fits the team and players around them/system around them. City achieved incredible things without a single world class CB in the squad. Laporte being the closest but he isn't world class.

The only true WC CB in this league and to be honest even the world at the moment is VVD.

You have a good blend of CB now with Lindelof and Maguire. A solid RB, decent LB and imo still a world class keeper in De Gea.

Like you say, our defence definitely will be in a good place with the additions of Maguire and AWB. As for midfield, however many we get is up for debate, but we're definitely in the market for midfielders, so hopefully that weakness will be addressed as Ole has clearly, rightly identified it as an area that needs additions.
  • Mike
    10281 posts Has That Special Something

:lol: How isn't Laporte world class? He's was just as good as Van Dijk last season
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

Like you say, our defence definitely will be in a good place with the additions of Maguire and AWB. As for midfield, however many we get is up for debate, but we're definitely in the market for midfielders, so hopefully that weakness will be addressed as Ole has clearly, rightly identified it as an area that needs additions.

Either way you're doing a hell of better job than us :joy: