Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• P1tch_1nvaderz88
    14395 posts World Class
    Maguire for 80m.....Jesus Christ, that's robbery at its finest, genuinely dissapointed were following through with this deal.... It reeks of garbage
  • forearms
    5158 posts Big Money Move
    Maguire for 80m.....Jesus Christ, that's robbery at its finest, genuinely dissapointed were following through with this deal.... It reeks of garbage

I hate it too. It's going to have an affect on selling teams moving forward.

All that said, the moment he puts on the United shirt, I fully support him. He is an upgrade on what we have. Lindelof, Maguire, and Taunzebe is a decent start.
  • Wyojasond
    14901 posts Has That Special Something
    Leicester probably going to use 1/4 of that to sign Tarkwoski and personally I think that will be a damn steal.

Maguire not a bad signing, and catches a lot of flack, but certainly solidifies your backline and has never really had injury issues. Yeah the price is ridiculous seeing as it will break VVDs price, but that’s the market 🤦‍♂️
  • Ahmer50x
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    edited July 2019
    Leicester probably going to use 1/4 of that to sign Tarkwoski and personally I think that will be a damn steal.

Maguire not a bad signing, and catches a lot of flack, but certainly solidifies your backline and has never really had injury issues. Yeah the price is ridiculous seeing as it will break VVDs price, but that’s the market 🤦‍♂️

VVD's price seemed ridiculous at the time. Maguire's not as good but he can go on to justify it.
  • Shshj
    5152 posts Big Money Move
    Good player but I can't believe you've actually paid £80m - I thought you'd get them down eventually.
  • Apollo
    20531 posts Club Captain
    Shshj wrote: »
    Good player but I can't believe you've actually paid £80m - I thought you'd get them down eventually.

The deal hasn't been confirmed yet by reliable sources but if you're going to believe the current sources reporting it, its 60m + 20m in Addons, as opposed to just a straight £80m. Not much better, but a bit better
  • Apollo
    20531 posts Club Captain
    Simon Stone is watching the cricket based on his latest tweet, and the comments are just full of United fans asking him about Maguire :D
  • Mike
    10419 posts Has That Special Something

Tarkwoski is garbage
  • forearms
    At least we (apparently) got another deal done. Now, let's get Bruno done please.
  • Apollo
    20531 posts Club Captain
    Assuming it's only a matter of time until the reliable sources report it, we all don't like the fee, but I maintain that we'll have a better defence with him in the side. Looking forward to see him strike up a partnership with Lindelof. Like @forearms says, Lindelof, Maguire and Tuanzebe as 3 of our CBs is a good step in the right direction.
  • Tornado31619
    22439 posts Club Captain
    Dunk to Leicester for £45m. No, I haven’t forgotten the decimal place.
  • Wyojasond
    Mike wrote: »

Tarkwoski is garbage

🙄🙄 Not saying he’s top quality but would be a great replacement for Maguire at a quarter of the price while still allowing Leicester to strengthen other areas
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Castles and The Sun as of now so nothing to get excited about.

Let's wait for a better source especially since Castles jumped the gun and got the timing and figure wrong on AWB

Castles was never going to get the fee right that early, but he was the first decent source to break the news. He obviously still has ties with the club.
  • Retro_G

How much would VVD cost now? You're talking the £130M + range.
  • Retro_G wrote: »

Add at least 70mil to that and now you're talking . 😉
  • ViVaWhom
    9360 posts League Winner
    Dunk to Leicester for £45m. No, I haven’t forgotten the decimal place.

:lol: with those fees you cant really argue about 80m for maguire

it is annoying when the likes of de ligt are cheaper but i feel thats because club respects the players wishes
  • Retro_G
    forearms wrote: »
    At least we (apparently) got another deal done. Now, let's get Bruno done please.

According to Simon Peach, the Bruno deal could be drawn out until the end of the window. Sporting want to sell, the price of Bruno will come down the longer the window goes on.
  • forearms
    Retro_G wrote: »

According to Simon Peach, the Bruno deal could be drawn out until the end of the window. Sporting want to sell, the price of Bruno will come down the longer the window goes on.

If we decide 80mil is ok for Maguire, surely we can get Bruno done in the same manner. 70 is equally ridiculous, but if Ole really wants him...
  • Wyojasond

VVD’s price tag going up has less to do with the market and more to do with his performances the last 18 months.

Maguire is a solid addition but has shown very little that he was worth that price tag. (I’ll be the first to admit though that VVD hadn’t really shown he was worth 75m when we bought him either so you really never know.)
  • Retro_G

If we decide 80mil is ok for Maguire, surely we can get Bruno done in the same manner. 70 is equally ridiculous, but if Ole really wants him...

Different circumstances mate, Leicester don't have to sell. Sporting want to sell, the longer the window goes on, the more desperate they will become. Simon Peach is tier 1.
  • Retro_G
    edited July 2019

VVD’s price tag going up has less to do with the market and more to do with his performances the last 18 months.

Maguire is a solid addition but has shown very little that he was worth that price tag. (I’ll be the first to admit though that VVD hadn’t really shown he was worth 75m when we bought him either so you really never know.)

Point being that VVD is a complete defender, akin to Kouilbally. You would have to smash the transfer record to get them now. Maguire has weaknesses, no doubt, but he will improve our backline. A backline consisting of Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire, Bissaka will be up there with the best in the league.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Early days and said my piece on Maguire but if the structure on the potential 80m is right I'm actually quite happy with the price considering everything. 60m upfront when we were all happy at 50m is fair. Dunk and Tarkwoski are miles off and demanding near 50m from mid table sides :D Prices are making it so hard to work in this market when you Manchester United.

How much you rate the deal depends on how much you rate Maguire but one thing we can all agree on is that he better than what we got and instantly improves our defence. Can we please get rid of the Deadwood now? Anyone below Axel should just go. we need to be more flexible on player movement.
  • forearms

Different circumstances mate, Leicester don't have to sell. Sporting want to sell, the longer the window goes on, the more desperate they will become. Simon Peach is tier 1.

Unless Maguire did ask to leave, as some reports claim.

I'm more frustrated at how slowly we move on these deals. At this rate, we will end up settling on 55mil+ 10 add-ons for Bruno at the end of the window, when we could just get him in now for a similar price.

Look at the results of this Maguire deal. It took us all summer to haggle over how the 80mil would be broken up.
  • Wyojasond

Point being that VVD is a complete defender, akin to Kouilbally. You would have to smash the transfer record to get them now. Maguire has weaknesses, no doubt, but he will improve our backline. A backline consisting of Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire, Bissaka will be up there with the best in the league.

I won’t argue that. United’s defense looks a lot more solid. Will be interesting to see how the new additions fit in.

AWB is a great signing and Maguire could be a steal in the end if he helps you get back in the top 4.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2019

Unless Maguire did ask to leave, as some reports claim.

I'm more frustrated at how slowly we move on these deals. At this rate, we will end up settling on 55mil+ 10 add-ons for Bruno at the end of the window, when we could just get him in now for a similar price.

Look at the results of this Maguire deal. It took us all summer to haggle over how the 80mil would be broken up.

Just cause a player asked to leave doesn't mean the club wanted to sell or have to. Leicester have shown they will fight for any deal even when players have asked to leave in the past, I get the impression they agree they will sell if they get what they want and there is equally respect from player and club until they get that far. They have a good history of getting the deals done .No player has thrown the toys out the pram yet on them to test that though I don't think. They have come down from 90m and got what they wanted a world record fee I doubt there stance would change through the window and Maguire would of accepted that stance. Sporting live off buying prospect and making profit if people are dropping out United can play the waiting game if they must,
  • Mike

I won’t argue that. United’s defense looks a lot more solid. Will be interesting to see how the new additions fit in.

AWB is a great signing and Maguire could be a steal in the end if he helps you get back in the top 4.
    I wouldn't go that far. He'll be a steal if he helps them win the league
  • Wyojasond

Fair enough. I’d agree with that, because even without Maguire they should get top 4.
  • El_Nino
    6404 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2019

Fair enough. I’d agree with that, because even without Maguire they should get top 4.

Exactly, with us(Chelsea) transfer banned and Arsenal spending even less than us despite our ban it really leaves it open for United to get top 4 this year, would be a big failure if they don’t manage it imo

Also the market excuse is just that, and excuse. Yes the market is inflating, but 80mill for Maguire is still far far too much even in today’s market, no ifs and buts, it’s overpaying even by today’s prices.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    33312 posts National Team Captain

This. The CB market has not inflated as much as some of the fans here are making it out to be. VVD’s gone up due to performances, not inflation. For 80m you expect a world class CB, we didn’t get that. Not do I see the guy reaching world class levels
  • Mike

This. The CB market has not inflated as much as some of the fans here are making it out to be. VVD’s gone up due to performances, not inflation. For 80m you expect a world class CB, we didn’t get that. Not do I see the guy reaching world class levels
    I think you'll be surprised how high Maguire's level actually is