Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Apollo
    13028 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 12
    12pm kick off tomorrow :relieved: Not having to get up at a stupid time in the morning to watch the matches like normal when they're touring in America is very welcome :D Normally like 3am when they're over there
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Apollo wrote: »
    12pm kick off tomorrow :relieved: Not having to get up at a stupid time in the morning to watch the matches like normal when they're touring in America is very welcome :D

Be weird not loading up on coffee :D
  • Apollo
    12pm kick off tomorrow :relieved: Not having to get up at a stupid time in the morning to watch the matches like normal when they're touring in America is very welcome :D

Be weird not loading up on coffee :D

Yeah :D
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class
    12pm kick off tomorrow :relieved: Not having to get up at a stupid time in the morning to watch the matches like normal when they're touring in America is very welcome :D Normally like 3am when they're over there

Opposite issue here. West coat US kickoff is 4 AM :joy:
  • Wyojasond
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

^^^ This 😂 I’m in Arizona so half the year we’re on PST, the other half were MST (no daylight savings in AZ) I wake up at 5 everyday anyways, but sometimes those 4am wake up calls are hard on the weekends.
  • Apollo
    edited July 12

^^^ This 😂 I’m in Arizona so half the year we’re on PST, the other half were MST (no daylight savings in AZ) I wake up at 5 everyday anyways, but sometimes those 4am wake up calls are hard on the weekends.

Ouch, bet you're not a fan of when Liverpool have 12:30 kickoffs every now and then during the actual season ;)

Edit: same for you for United, @Ahmer50x , I guess!
  • WelshWizard

I wouldn't mind watching United with my breakfast on Sundays for 5pm kick-offs :D
  • Apollo
    edited July 12

I wouldn't mind watching United with my breakfast on Sundays for 5pm kick-offs :D

It'd be really weird though I reckon :D After having only watched United in the PL in the afternoon/early evening
  • Keano
    12163 posts Has That Special Something

It'd be really weird though I reckon :D After having only watched United in the PL in the afternoon/early evening

End up hitting your alarm on snooze because it's your day off & you want a lay in forgetting United are actually on.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class

Ouch, bet you're not a fan of when Liverpool have 12:30 kickoffs every now and then during the actual season ;)

I don't live on the west coast anymore (just visiting for a week or so) thankfully but yeah it used to be a nightmare for league matches.
  • Wyojasond

I’m an early riser like I said so it’s not too bad. Worked in the oilfield when I was younger and was on call 24/7. 3-4am wake up calls were pretty usual.

Plus it helps that I’m now old, semi-retired and have two kids. The days of staying up partying til 2am and then getting up at 6am are pretty rare 😂
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31348 posts National Team Captain
    I’d bet your holding out on Bruno a bit too in hopes that Sporting will drop their valuation. Don’t they want 70m while most reports have stated that interested teams won’t go above 40-50 🤷‍♂️

Really like Bruno, but have to agree. Your getting waxed if you pay anything over 50.

I'd rather pay 70m for Bruno, than 70m+ for Maguire.
    forearms wrote: »
    I’d bet your holding out on Bruno a bit too in hopes that Sporting will drop their valuation. Don’t they want 70m while most reports have stated that interested teams won’t go above 40-50 🤷‍♂️

Really like Bruno, but have to agree. Your getting waxed if you pay anything over 50.

Were getting waxed on the Maguire, Longstaff, valuations as well.

Exactly. severely.
  • Keano

I’m an early riser like I said so it’s not too bad. Worked in the oilfield when I was younger and was on call 24/7. 3-4am wake up calls were pretty usual.

Plus it helps that I’m now old, semi-retired and have two kids. The days of staying up partying til 2am and then getting up at 6am are pretty rare 😂

That's just the kids sleepovers :trollface: @Wyojasond
  • Sellish
    8593 posts League Winner
    edited July 12
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I'm fine with 70m for Maguire when everything is considered he could be only option available who will have a short term impact in a key area that you are not just gambling on potential for 20m less which I would rather do in future windows.

Got to stop chucking names around of players who don't fit roles it clear we are identifying targets based on them. The only person impacted by Maguire would be Smalling and maybe Bailly who might get sold anyway,

Fees are installments and clauses based but when United are in the press the whole thing gets chucked together it just doesn't work like that, 70m could be broken down in so many ways even things like winning the CL. I wouldn't get caught up on things like that. I'm more interested in #1 target or not.

I do completely agree with the point you've made for ages now regarding Maguire's attributes as a potential Lindelof partner, his strengths would work really well alongside Lindelof as they'd each bring different elements to the pairing.

The two of them are slow. I'm sceptical about the partnership.

I wouldn't call Lindelof slow and Smalling wasn't exactly quick. The speed needed is mostly in the reading of the game both excel at that rest is short distance and channels again both excel at that. System is to be compact and drop as a Unit with pressure from the front the distance or time is not really there to take advantage of speed. Teams can try and hit it long when pushed up but we win the aerial battle more often than not in them cases and Maguire would aid that massively. Roles also play a part. Maguire will step out and press it's on Lindelof and even CDM to cover him in the speed department just like they did for Smalling.

I back Lindelof in any one on one except when he got to step up or battle in the air at a disadvantage, things which Maguire will deal with. On the cover he matches the speed and used his body well to stop loads of fast players in the channels last season. On the ball he is targeted because he not Smalling Maguire solves that as well. They would compliment each other so well,

Didn't Smalling have more won aerial duels then Maguire last season?

* Just checked this. Maguire had 16 more but it's not a massive improvement.
  • WelshWizard
    Sellish wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I'm fine with 70m for Maguire when everything is considered he could be only option available who will have a short term impact in a key area that you are not just gambling on potential for 20m less which I would rather do in future windows.

Got to stop chucking names around of players who don't fit roles it clear we are identifying targets based on them. The only person impacted by Maguire would be Smalling and maybe Bailly who might get sold anyway,

Fees are installments and clauses based but when United are in the press the whole thing gets chucked together it just doesn't work like that, 70m could be broken down in so many ways even things like winning the CL. I wouldn't get caught up on things like that. I'm more interested in #1 target or not.

I do completely agree with the point you've made for ages now regarding Maguire's attributes as a potential Lindelof partner, his strengths would work really well alongside Lindelof as they'd each bring different elements to the pairing.

The two of them are slow. I'm sceptical about the partnership.

I wouldn't call Lindelof slow and Smalling wasn't exactly quick. The speed needed is mostly in the reading of the game both excel at that rest is short distance and channels again both excel at that. System is to be compact and drop as a Unit with pressure from the front the distance or time is not really there to take advantage of speed. Teams can try and hit it long when pushed up but we win the aerial battle more often than not in them cases and Maguire would aid that massively. Roles also play a part. Maguire will step out and press it's on Lindelof and even CDM to cover him in the speed department just like they did for Smalling.

I back Lindelof in any one on one except when he got to step up or battle in the air at a disadvantage, things which Maguire will deal with. On the cover he matches the speed and used his body well to stop loads of fast players in the channels last season. On the ball he is targeted because he not Smalling Maguire solves that as well. They would compliment each other so well,

Didn't Smalling have more won aerial duels then Maguire last season?

* Just checked this. Maguire had 16 more but it's not a massive improvement.

Success rate.

On whoscored in the league. Maguire had 400+ more minutes and Smalling attempted 7 more. Just shows how targeted we are. Teams knew it was a weakness or it's just how teams try to play against us. Shows how far Lindelof has come that his weakness is not the first thing people think of but it demands the right CB alongside him or teams will take advantage of it. His partner having to do nearly double the duels.

Maguire 77.6%
    Smalling 55.9%

That's just one area he would be a huge improvement
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class
    I think once Maguire signs he’ll win you guys over.

Then again I said the same thing about Lukaku :joy:
  • WelshWizard

I would be happy to keep him if we are getting screwed in a deal but it's pretty close Inter just need to stump it up. I just want him to make the most of his career rather than being on the bench or not used properly just seems a waste.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 12

Hope he signs just for this fact :D Those against him just make me more determined to back him to the fullest and we haven't even signed him. I don't even think people don't rate him it's just the price but I haven't heard anything good on what else to do with the money that fits a role and could realistically happen.
  • Wyojasond
    Maguire kind of reminds me of Matip when we signed him. (Granted we got him on a free and you’ll likely have to pay 70m+ 😂)

A solid CB that will no doubt improve you, but will he take you to that next level.

I think Maguire would do fine there, but not somebody you’ll remember in 10 years. In the end, it’s all about the price tag 🤷‍♂️
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class

It’s not like Rom flopped, though.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class

Big season for Tony and Rashy. Sink or swim.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31348 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 12
    Maguire kind of reminds me of Matip when we signed him. (Granted we got him on a free and you’ll likely have to pay 70m+ 😂)

A solid CB that will no doubt improve you, but will he take you to that next level.

I think Maguire would do fine there, but not somebody you’ll remember in 10 years. In the end, it’s all about the price tag 🤷‍♂️

Matip is an good comparison imo, but I really do think Matip is a better CB, not including the value in my opinion. Matip is underrated and I said to a few LFC fans when you guys signed him that you guys got a steal with that one.

HIGHLY doubt it. That's why I hate that we're even attempting to spend as much as we are on him. He's legitimately a marginal improvement on Smalling defensively (and the improvement is mainly in the air), but has great ball control. At the end of the day not worth the amount we will be spending (and yes I get no one said he's worth that amount *eye roll*), but if we are spending that much on a CB, he should be elite, one of the best in the world, and Maguire's not even a top 5 CB in the PL alone. The CB market has not inflated as much as being made out to be since the VVD signing. Even with Inflation Maguire should be 50-60m MAX. That's my biggest gripe the whole thing. Yes I get at the end of the day it's pointless because he appears to be OGS's top CB target, but it's just frustrating to me. Because if we pull this off, means we prob won't go after a proper world class CB next summer when we, ideally, will have CL that is guaranteed to take us to the next level.
  • Keano

Agreed.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 12

Who is out there available that would? Maguire price my be overvalued but his ability is getting undervalue especially for what we need. I'm not saying he better than van Dijk but when you compare he might be the closes there is in that role.

You can go through all of European Leagues and the two best players in our main need of the Aerial duels and passing are Maguire and van Dijk rest are not even close to them two,

Add dribbling from the back and he has double what van Dijk does(Different style) and is more successful than big name players on similar attempts such Koulibaly/Vertonghen which puts him right at the top.

Defending stats hard to show but widely suspect this would be his weakest area but he no worse than many of the big names if not better. Low tackles which normally shows a good reading of the game Same rate as Van dijk with interceptions being where he gets worked more (his role of being the stopper) but he only got beat 2 more times than Varane while intercepting more. and everyone's favourite Alderweireld intercepts less (Wrong role anyway, he plays cover for Spurs) attempted 10 more tackles and got beat 4 more times.

• WelshWizard

Him and Rashy were so similar last season. Caught fire under Ole and as they went on droughts the team collapsed vice versa . No pressure but our season could depend on their output.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class

Him and Rashy were so similar last season. Caught fire under Ole and as they went on droughts the team collapsed vice versa . No pressure but our season could depend on their output.

LVG wanted to build around Rashford+Martial. Mourinho disagreed.

Ole is giving them the chance. We’ll see which failed manager was right
  • forearms
    4460 posts National Call-Up

Hope he signs just for this fact :D Those against him just make me more determined to back him to the fullest and we haven't even signed him. I don't even think people don't rate him it's just the price but I haven't heard anything good on what else to do with the money that fits a role and could realistically happen.

I dont dislike Maguire. I do believe hes just above average. Because of that, I think it's better to shell out the cash on someone who is markedly better.

You know in the future teams will try to rinse us even more considering we were willing to go that high for him. It's no different than what Inter tried to do last year with Perisic. At least then we were smart enough to lay off.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class

Simon confirming that Lukaku looks set to stay atm

Fine with that even if I’d have sold. Inter getting payback for Perisic 5m I guess.