Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Apollo
    14416 posts Has That Special Something
    forearms wrote: »
    I’d bet your holding out on Bruno a bit too in hopes that Sporting will drop their valuation. Don’t they want 70m while most reports have stated that interested teams won’t go above 40-50 🤷‍♂️

Really like Bruno, but have to agree. Your getting waxed if you pay anything over 50.

Were getting waxed on the Maguire, Longstaff, valuations as well.

Inevitable because they're PL teams who don't need to sell. But as they're just valuations/initial asking prices we should be able to get all three (including Bruno) to come down a bit. Every team selling someone always starts high.
  • forearms
    4746 posts National Call-Up
    Apollo wrote: »
    I’d bet your holding out on Bruno a bit too in hopes that Sporting will drop their valuation. Don’t they want 70m while most reports have stated that interested teams won’t go above 40-50 🤷‍♂️

Really like Bruno, but have to agree. Your getting waxed if you pay anything over 50.

Inevitable because they're PL teams who don't need to sell. But as they're just valuations/initial asking prices we should be able to get all three (including Bruno) to come down a bit. Every team selling someone always starts high.

Starting high is one thing, but 50mil for Longstaff?

I guess we should ask for 294mil for Pogba then. Or 147mil for Lukaku. May as well throw out the most unrealistic high number we can.
  • Apollo

I guess we should ask for 294mil for Pogba then. Or 147mil for Lukaku. May as well throw out the most unrealistic high number we can.

You've missed the first part of the post. They don't need to sell. They're basically saying that they don't want to let Longstaff go by putting a stupid asking price on him so they're making us pay a high price to let him leave.

It's a stupid valuation without a doubt, but that's why they're doing it.
  • Apollo
    Both Lukaku and Pogba have publicly come out and said they want to leave. That makes a difference. Ole's holding out for high prices by saying we don't need to sell publicly but if someone puts in a sensible offer for them we'll likely let them go.

Longstaff hasn't done that. Newcastle hold the cards in that they don't need to sell, they have a player who isn't going to agitate for a move so of course they're going to give him a stupid valuation. I don't believe that they're waiting on £50m before letting him go, like I said before I expect they'll come down quite a bit, but given their negotiating position I'm not surprised they've started with a ridiculous valuation.
  • forearms
    4746 posts National Call-Up

You've missed the first part of the post. They don't need to sell. They're basically saying that they don't want to let Longstaff go by putting a stupid asking price on him so they're making us pay a high price to let him leave.

You think they would quote the same price if West Ham came in for him? They would tell them 35mil and they would move on to another target. Newcastle may not want to sell, but they throw that number out because of the money United have, with the hope we are desperate enough to actually pay something close to it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as though every team knows we are anxious on the rebuild, and are doing their best to rinse us on valuations.
  • Apollo

You think they would quote the same price if West Ham came in for him? They would tell them 35mil and they would move on to another target. Newcastle may not want to sell, but they throw that number out because of the money United have, with the hope we are desperate enough to actually pay something close to it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as though every team knows we are anxious on the rebuild, and are doing their best to rinse us on valuations.

That contributes to it as well. We always get quoted higher prices than other teams. All these factors add up to why it's such a stupid valuation.
  • Gervonta
    3734 posts National Call-Up
    Like I said previously , I’d rather give garner a chance than spend £50mill on longstaff.

• Apollo
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Like I said previously , I’d rather give garner a chance than spend £50mill on longstaff.

If we end up paying it then obviously I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that we pay £50m. We will either get them to come down to an acceptable level or walk away.
  • Wyojasond
    11315 posts Has That Special Something
    Looking like Juve are pulling out of the Pogba rumors. Madrid the only team left.

Think there’s any chance United will sell Pogba after the English window closes? Madrid need to sell a lot to make a move anyways I’d say, but guessing they wait til the very end of there window 🤷‍♂️
  • Apollo
    Looking like Juve are pulling out of the Pogba rumors. Madrid the only team left.

Think there’s any chance United will sell Pogba after the English window closes? Madrid need to sell a lot to make a move anyways I’d say, but guessing they wait til the very end of there window 🤷‍♂️

Yes. I think if he goes it will be very late.
  • Tornado31619
    16589 posts World Class

If a replacement has been brought in by then, sure. But we all know how likely that actually is.
  • Gervonta

If we end up paying it then obviously I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that we pay £50m. We will either get them to come down to an acceptable level or walk away.

I wouldn’t pay anymore than 20mill tbh , may aswell head over to South American and poach a kid who is potentially better for cheaper.

Vinicius was €45m

Arthur was €31m

Longstaff they want in excess of £50mill? I think not
  • Apollo
    edited July 12

I wouldn’t pay anymore than 20mill tbh , may aswell head over to South American and poach a kid who is potentially better for cheaper.

Vinicius was €45m

Arthur was €31m

It's not just you, but I genuinely don't understand why this is such a misunderstood situation for Longstaff.

A South American team have nowhere near the income and money of a PL team, if some big team from Europe comes in and offers what would be big money for them for one of their best talents, of course they're going to accept.

PL teams have the money that they don't want or need to sell their players. They're not saying that Longstaff is worth £50m. They're just trying to keep one of their best prospects, and if they can't they'll make us pay a sizeable fee for someone of his experience to get him.

If we can get them come down to say £25-30m, then I'd much rather we get Ole's first choice for the position, who if the move works out will be here long term, than save £5-10m on a South American player who probably intends to use us as a stepping stone to get to Real Madrid or Barcelona in a few years.
  • Wyojasond
    11315 posts Has That Special Something

Vinicius was €45m

Arthur was €31m

I’ve always wondered why English teams don’t do this more. Is it a passport thing. Seems like we’ve had a couple of young players from S. America that never get a chance because of this.
  • Tornado31619
    16589 posts World Class
    Didn’t Watford pluck Richarlison straight from Brazil?
    There might be a few eyes on Everton as well.
  • Apollo
    Didn’t Watford pluck Richarlison straight from Brazil?
    There might be a few eyes on Everton as well.

Exactly. And look how quickly they lost him.
  • Gervonta
    Just can’t justify £50m on longstaff tbh , may aswell give garner and Gomes more game time and invest that money on proven quality in the needed areas, I.e centre back.
  • Apollo
    Just can’t justify £50m on longstaff tbh , may aswell give garner and Gomes more game time and invest that money on proven quality in the needed areas, I.e centre back.

Did you think we were going to pay the £70m we were quoted for AWB as well? Quoted £70m, got him for 45+5
  • Gervonta

Did you think we were going to pay the £70m we were quoted for AWB as well? Quoted £70m, got him for 45+5

It was reported by numerous outlets that palace wanted £50m and this had been explained to United who then presented a £35m+£15m offer before having to pay £45m+£5m

• Apollo
    edited July 12

It was reported by numerous outlets that palace wanted £50m and this had been explained to United who then presented a £35m+£15m offer before having to pay £45m+£5m

We could both find quotes from different sources saying different asking prices tbf, just looking back, found one from the Telegraph saying it could take 60m to get him, as well as other sources saying 70m.

The point I'm trying to make though is that the £50m quoted for Longstaff is very likely to come down imo, the only question is how much. Would be massively surprised if we pay that.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect

Money isn't the issue as it's a deal by deal bases not a total. Gomes is a complete different role. Garner is 18 and a different style of player to Longstaff. Longstaff joining doesn't impede any of their chances of game time, he is an addition not a replacement.

50m is their starting point. We are United nothing has changed team quote us more to start with than anyone else. Newcastle are suggesting they don't want to sell at that price, They either budge closer to the 25m or we move on. We may be United but we sell and buy at fair prices for us which will always be lower for sales and higher for ins when we are involved no matter who we target, When we get in to not doing deals when we are 5m or 10m off in what clubs want that's when it becomes stupid.
  • Sellish
    9039 posts League Winner
    Like I said previously , I’d rather give Tuanzebe a chance than spend £70mill on Maguire.

• Apollo
    Sellish wrote: »
    Like I said previously , I’d rather give Tuanzebe a chance than spend £70mill on Maguire.

Tuanzebe can still play a big part even if we sign Maguire. We have a lot of games to play. If we're actually able to shift a couple of our terrible CBs there's plenty of space in the squad for the both of them.
  • Sellish
    9039 posts League Winner

Tuanzebe can still play a big part even if we sign Maguire. We have a lot of games to play. If we're actually able to shift a couple of our terrible CBs there's plenty of space in the squad for the both of them.

I would love to bring in another CB. Just not Maguire for 70m.
  • Apollo

I would love to bring in another CB. Just not Maguire for 70m.

It is a lot of money, it does concern me as well. I'm fine with signing him in principle, but the price we'd have to pay is too much
  • WelshWizard

Vinicius was €45m

Arthur was €31m

I’ve always wondered why English teams don’t do this more. Is it a passport thing. Seems like we’ve had a couple of young players from S. America that never get a chance because of this.

Work permits are hard to get for players not in the EU or EEA, Most who make the move have european heritage that they can call on for passports others need to have an hearing based on potential(Remember Sir Alex giving evidence at some :D ) if not regular internationals. The uncertainty on Brexit also doesn't help things.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 12
    I'm fine with 70m for Maguire when everything is considered he could be only option available who will have a short term impact in a key area that you are not just gambling on potential for 20m less which I would rather do in future windows.

Got to stop chucking names around of players who don't fit roles it clear we are identifying targets based on them. The only person impacted by Maguire would be Smalling and maybe Bailly who might get sold anyway,

Fees are installments and clauses based but when United are in the press the whole thing gets chucked together it just doesn't work like that, 70m could be broken down in so many ways even things like winning the CL. I wouldn't get caught up on things like that. I'm more interested in #1 target or not.
  • Apollo
    I'm fine with 70m for Maguire when everything is considered he could be only option available who will have a short term impact in a key area that you are not just gambling on potential for 20m less which I would rather do in future windows.

Got to stop chucking names around of players who don't fit roles it clear we are identifying targets based on them. The only person impacted by Maguire would be Smalling and maybe Bailly who might get sold anyway,

Fees are installments and clauses based but when United are in the press the whole thing gets chucked together it just doesn't work like that, 70m could be broken down in so many ways even things like winning the CL. I wouldn't get caught up on things like that. I'm more interested in #1 target or not.

I do completely agree with the point you've made for ages now regarding Maguire's attributes as a potential Lindelof partner, his strengths would work really well alongside Lindelof as they'd each bring different elements to the pairing.
  • Retro_G
    28303 posts Player of the Year

I do completely agree with the point you've made for ages now regarding Maguire's attributes as a potential Lindelof partner, his strengths would work really well alongside Lindelof as they'd each bring different elements to the pairing.

The two of them are slow. I'm sceptical about the partnership.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 12
    Retro_G wrote: »

The two of them are slow. I'm sceptical about the partnership.

I wouldn't call Lindelof slow and Smalling wasn't exactly quick. The speed needed is mostly in the reading of the game both excel at that rest is short distance and channels again both excel at that. System is to be compact and drop as a Unit with pressure from the front the distance or time is not really there to take advantage of speed. Teams can try and hit it long when pushed up but we win the aerial battle more often than not in them cases and Maguire would aid that massively. Roles also play a part. Maguire will step out and press it's on Lindelof and even CDM to cover him in the speed department just like they did for Smalling.

I back Lindelof in any one on one except when he got to step up or battle in the air at a disadvantage, things which Maguire will deal with. On the cover he matches the speed and used his body well to stop loads of fast players in the channels last season. On the ball he is targeted because he not Smalling Maguire solves that as well. They would compliment each other so well,