Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Mike
    10004 posts Has That Special Something
    It’s actually incredible how our expectations have skyrocketed over the past three months. Most people here expected 2-3 signings, regardless of the futures of our midfielders. It was only after we started being linked with names that had previously been thrown around over here (Sancho, AWB, Rice, not to mention the de Ligt drama) that our confidence started to grow.
    I'd say it's the complete opposite. Pretty much all of you are buzzing about signing Longstaff and James
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class

Given we have to pay Everton 5m pounds, I’d honestly have expected higher.
  • Tornado31619
    16962 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    Mike wrote: »
    It’s actually incredible how our expectations have skyrocketed over the past three months. Most people here expected 2-3 signings, regardless of the futures of our midfielders. It was only after we started being linked with names that had previously been thrown around over here (Sancho, AWB, Rice, not to mention the de Ligt drama) that our confidence started to grow.
    I'd say it's the complete opposite. Pretty much all of you are buzzing about signing Longstaff and James

While also lambasting Judge and Woodward for failing to sign an experienced CB and a couple of CMs. There's a balance to be struck between the types of signings.

This. We need signings who actually suit the system as opposed to BTEC Galacticos like Bale.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Mike wrote: »

While also lambasting Judge and Woodward for failing to sign an experienced CB and a couple of CMs. There's a balance to be struck between the types of signings.

This. We need signings who actually suit the system as opposed to BTEC Galacticos like Bale.

You can spend a hell of a lot of time naming players bought for systems that plan out compared to galactico signings. United have always been a club about developing players the success has come as a by-product, whether it's been big money domestic talent or more obscure names, joining United isn't meant to be the finish line but the start of getting to the next level. As Apollo said there is a balance to be had esspically when playing catch up but it's no surprise when we deviated from our historic policy it went downhill. We can match anyone for money but trying to be in markets we have never been in and doing the whole galactico plan wrong is stupid and so short term thinking in the first place that it goes against everything the club stands for since Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy laid the foundations.
  • TakeItSlow
    7332 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Really? If you're realistically wanting him to go you cannot expect higher. He's been so so poor for you.
  • Apollo
    14949 posts World Class
    edited July 11

I read the full article that goes with it, the Telegraph say we are prioritising trying to get Maguire and negotiate with Inter for Lukaku as the first two things to come next
    United are thought to be prioritising the Maguire deal and the situation involving Romelu Lukaku at the moment. Piero Ausilio, Inter Milan’s sporting director, is understood to have flown to London for talks with United officials on Thursday as the Italian giants bid to thrash out a deal for the wantaway Belgium striker.
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class
    There's clearly been another briefing.

Sun, Telegraph, MEN, and Evening Standard all simultaneously reporting the following:

-Newcastle quoted United 50m for Longstaff. We value him at 20-25m and will move to alternatives if they don't bring that price down.
    -Currently priorities are signing Maguire and selling Lukaku
  • Apollo
    14949 posts World Class

Sun, Telegraph, MEN, and Evening Standard all simultaneously reporting the following:

-Newcastle quoted United 50m for Longstaff. We value him at 20-25m and will move to alternatives if they don't bring that price down.

Hopefully the fact that there has been a briefing means that we'll get some progress sooner rather than later
  • Kman
    2915 posts Fans' Favourite
    £50m for Longstaff lol got to be joking..
  • ViVaWhom
    8117 posts League Winner
    yeah even i think thats ridiculous, 25m is more than fair
  • Apollo
    14949 posts World Class
    Kman wrote: »

It's an asking price basically indicating that they don't want to sell. Palace did the same and they came down on that. It's just a starting point.
  • TakeItSlow
    7332 posts Big Money Move
    I mean you're shooting yourselves in the foot signing AWB for 50m and Maguire for potentially 75m with any deal for Longstaff. It'll be at least 35m, which is just ludicrous but you haven't helped yourselves.
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class

Hopefully the fact that there has been a briefing means that we'll get some progress sooner rather than later

United need to close the Maguire deal. I don't understand why we haven't heard more regarding a second bid (the way we did with AWB). Just up it from 70 to like 75 + 5 or 10 in realistic bonuses and it'll be accepted.
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    I mean you're shooting yourselves in the foot signing AWB for 50m and Maguire for potentially 75m with any deal for Longstaff. It'll be at least 35m, which is just ludicrous but you haven't helped yourselves.

I think they're trying to break Carroll's club record the way Leicester are VVD's so I think you're right.
  • Apollo
    14949 posts World Class

United need to close the Maguire deal. I don't understand why we haven't heard more regarding a second bid (the way we did with AWB). Just up it from 70 to like 75 + 5 or 10 in realistic bonuses and it'll be accepted.

It really is baffling why it's gone so quiet. Judge just needs to get it done.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31886 posts National Team Captain

Really? If you're realistically wanting him to go you cannot expect higher. He's been so so poor for you.

27 goals in all comps (his highest in a season in all comps) in his first season for us (while playing in a negative system under Mourinho)... and 15 last season despite playing second fiddle for half the season (ultimately due to managerial preference in style of play), and again, first half of the in a negative system under Mourinho.

He's not been "so so poor" for us. I guess Lacazette is been just awful for you guys then by that logic.
  • WelshWizard
    Especially with quoted Mario Lemina price. I'll be honest the smart move for Newcastle would be not to sell but this is Mike Ashley, he will fold.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31886 posts National Team Captain
    Kman wrote: »

It's an asking price basically indicating that they don't want to sell. Palace did the same and they came down on that. It's just a starting point.

This...but they better come down to half that at a minimum. 25m is more than a gracious amount for someone that's just played 8 PL games.
  • Apollo
    14949 posts World Class
    edited July 11

Just about everyone in here were happy with the AWB deal. Absolutely not the time it took, but the deal itself. They asked for 70, we got them down to 45+5 for a young, incredibly promising, English fullback who has like ~45 games experience of the PL. We have done a lot of bad business in recent years but the deal for AWB isn't one of them.
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class
    If Longstaff is really Ole's number one CDM target, I'd throw them a final take it or leave it 30m bid before ending our interest.
  • WelshWizard

Just about everyone in here were happy with the AWB deal. Absolutely not the time it took, but the deal itself. They asked for 70, we got them down to 45+5 for a young, incredibly promising, English fullback who has like ~45 games experience of the PL. We have done a lot of bad business in recent years but the deal for AWB isn't one of them.

How anyone can think AWB is a bad deal is nuts. :D Thats a RB for 10+ years. The value of FBs is still low even when they are more valuable to teams and system than ever before. We didn't have to pay United tax or get in a bidding war as 50M is the going rate for a young(21-23) English FB these days. City paid around £50m for 27yr Walker and are looking to replace him :D

Surprisedly for a RB going straight in to United first team his wages are very reasonable under the current structure.
  • WelshWizard
    If Longstaff is really Ole's number one CDM target, I'd throw them a final take it or leave it 30m bid before ending our interest.

Just put unrealistic clauses in if needed. If he reaches his potential and delivers they get paid closer to his true worth at that time if he doesn't it was basically risk free for us.
  • Ahmer50x
    18153 posts World Class
    Tomorrow it’ll be 10 days since we heard United had bid 70m for Maguire.

Surely we’ve done some negotiating since then. When you’ve got so little time left we can’t waste weeks like that and even Judge must know it.
  • Keano
    13426 posts Has That Special Something
    Tomorrow it’ll be 10 days since we heard United had bid 70m for Maguire.

Surely we’ve done some negotiating since then. When you’ve got so little time left we can’t waste weeks like that and even Judge must know it.

Doubt it.
  • Shshj
    4193 posts National Call-Up
    You know you're clutching at straws when you claim Fred's going to be like a new signing, even though he only signed last summer.
  • Keano
    13426 posts Has That Special Something
    Shshj wrote: »
    You know you're clutching at straws when you claim Fred's going to be like a new signing, even though he only signed last summer.

it obviously doesn't mean literally... but he rarely played & wasnt great in the EPL games when he did, so he could come out & it'd be like a new signing if he comes out & performs, which we only saw in a few CL games.
  • Shshj
    4193 posts National Call-Up

Arsenal achieved 70 points in a transition season without Bellerin and Holding for the main part of the season. Only team you're going to realistically chase down this year is Chelsea. Could get CL football just by doing that if City drop out.

Interesting logic, but what makes you think Arsenal will be so far ahead of Chelsea and United?

I admire your attack but that's about it. You haven't made a signing yet - the player you're supposedly closest to is going back on loan to France for another season. Your highest paid player is surplus to requirements and you can't offload him.

Your defence is still a complete shambles and now your captain has refused to go on your pre-season tour because he wants out. Personally I don't think there's much daylight between any of our three clubs right now.