The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

  • Ashy
    10589 posts Has That Special Something
    If nobody bought Saliba this summer, after a strong full season on Ligue 1 and Europa League he could easily be going for £60m+
  • Keano
    15349 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    United needs togo for Skriniar

    I'd be delighted with that, but I think he's just signed a new contract? Don't think he's available

    Maybe for a higher buy out.
    Signing new contracts doesnt mean anything nowadays, didnt Icardi signed a new contract last year aswell?

    Signing new contracts is purely to maintain your value in the market (for the club) & to get more money/bonuses for the player.

    Whilst a lot of people take someone signing a new contract as a fact they'll be staying, a lot of the time it's the club/player knowing they will have people inquiring & wanting the most they can for him.
  • BrentfordFC
    13144 posts Has That Special Something

    Decent player. Big risk him going to united though. Other than the big pay day & top 6 challenge, if it goes wrong he’ll spend most of his time on the bench.
  • Tornado31619
    20201 posts Club Captain
    Apollo wrote: »
    United needs togo for Skriniar

    I'd be delighted with that, but I think he's just signed a new contract? Don't think he's available

    Maybe for a higher buy out.
    Signing new contracts doesnt mean anything nowadays, didnt Icardi signed a new contract last year aswell?

    That’s a very different situation. Coutinho would be a better example.

    Besides, apparently Skriñar fired his agent in order to secure an extension with Inter, so it’s clear where his loyalties lie. Don’t want somebody at the club who would rather be elsewhere; we already have Pogba.
  • Tornado31619
    20201 posts Club Captain

    Decent player. Big risk him going to united though. Other than the big pay day & top 6 challenge, if it goes wrong he’ll spend most of his time on the bench.

    Oh I don’t care for him either, but I just thought the thread was well-written.
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    Because as far as wages go, the club are done with throwing money at potential new players above and beyond competitive contracts to convince people to come here. De Ligt would not pick us above the other clubs that are in for him for footballing reasons, so the only way that he would be willing to come here is if we offered a stupid amount more than the other teams in for him. Ole is done with people who are only here for the higher wages, he wants people who actually want to be at the club.

    It's Man U. The point of the exercise is to build a top squad that good players want to be at. If Utd have given up on that then sure, get slabhead and Lemina and enjoy your Thursday nights
  • Apollo
    18468 posts World Class
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    Because as far as wages go, the club are done with throwing money at potential new players above and beyond competitive contracts to convince people to come here. De Ligt would not pick us above the other clubs that are in for him for footballing reasons, so the only way that he would be willing to come here is if we offered a stupid amount more than the other teams in for him. Ole is done with people who are only here for the higher wages, he wants people who actually want to be at the club.

    It's Man U. The point of the exercise is to build a top squad that good players want to be at. If Utd have given up on that then sure, get slabhead and Lemina and enjoy your Thursday nights

    :D

    Don't even know why I expected a remotely rational response
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    edited July 2019
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -



    Harry Maguire fee + 5 year wages of lets say 100k per week would equate to around £105M and he'd be 31 by the end of it.

    De Ligt fee + 5 year wages at 200k a week would equate to around £120M and he'd be 24 by the end of it with insane resale value or quite simply would become a club legend.

    Yes United need to stop chucking stupid money at players, but more so the Alexis Sanchez' of the world who're on ridiculous money and old.

    United have done everything wrong in recent years and they're continuing to do so. In fact If I was a United fan I'd be saying even if its a loan back why the F didn't we go for Saliba or any youngster with a big upside.
  • Apollo
    18468 posts World Class
    edited July 2019
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -


    "New". Rashford isn't new.

    They don't want another Sanchez. Not saying De Ligt is a Sanchez situation in case there's any confusion. I'm speaking in terms of a general transfer policy
  • Apollo
    18468 posts World Class
    We're still paying the price for giving Sanchez his ridiculous wages. Current players are asking for wages that they never would have done before he signed in their own contract negotiations. We're trying to get rid of Sanchez so things can get back to being a bit less ridiculous. It's not going to happen overnight though, it'll be a gradual process for things to settle down a bit.
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -


    "New". Rashford isn't new.

    They don't want another Sanchez.

    Signing world class talents who're 18-23 years old on big wages is ok. Signing Rashford up on that new deal is like an alcoholic just going back for more. Should've got shot of Rashford the minute he said how much he wanted.
  • Apollo
    18468 posts World Class
    edited July 2019
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -


    "New". Rashford isn't new.

    They don't want another Sanchez.

    Signing world class talents who're 18-23 years old on big wages is ok. Signing Rashford up on that new deal is like an alcoholic just going back for more. Should've got shot of Rashford the minute he said how much he wanted.

    The club have faith in him, and so do I actually. I think he'll get a good goal return this season. Do I think he's worth 200k at this stage? Absolutely not. I'd have liked it to have been less. But if he fulfils the potential that I believe he has (it's my opinion) then I can deal with his overpriced wages.
  • ccooaattssyy
    9889 posts League Winner
    Shame Saliba is not an immediate option
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3306 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -



    Harry Maguire fee + 5 year wages of lets say 100k per week would equate to around £105M and he'd be 31 by the end of it.

    De Ligt fee + 5 year wages at 200k a week would equate to around £120M and he'd be 24 by the end of it with insane resale value or quite simply would become a club legend.

    Yes United need to stop chucking stupid money at players, but more so the Alexis Sanchez' of the world who're on ridiculous money and old.

    United have done everything wrong in recent years and they're continuing to do so. In fact If I was a United fan I'd be saying even if its a loan back why the F didn't we go for Saliba or any youngster with a big upside.

    I swear he posts on here
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    Because as far as wages go, the club are done with throwing money at potential new players above and beyond competitive contracts to convince people to come here. De Ligt would not pick us above the other clubs that are in for him for footballing reasons, so the only way that he would be willing to come here is if we offered a stupid amount more than the other teams in for him. Ole is done with people who are only here for the higher wages, he wants people who actually want to be at the club.

    It's Man U. The point of the exercise is to build a top squad that good players want to be at. If Utd have given up on that then sure, get slabhead and Lemina and enjoy your Thursday nights

    :D

    Don't even know why I expected a remotely rational response

    Your argument is they should buy mediocre players. It's perfectly rational to point out the stupidity of that for the richest club in the world. Not all expensive players are a waste of money.

    But 70m for McGuire is rational 😁

    Club is a mess, but I didn't think they'd just given up on having any ambition



  • Davisto
    6357 posts Big Money Move
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Apollo

    "As far as wages go the club the club are done with throwing money at potential new players"

    Also Man United -



    Harry Maguire fee + 5 year wages of lets say 100k per week would equate to around £105M and he'd be 31 by the end of it.

    De Ligt fee + 5 year wages at 200k a week would equate to around £120M and he'd be 24 by the end of it with insane resale value or quite simply would become a club legend.

    Yes United need to stop chucking stupid money at players, but more so the Alexis Sanchez' of the world who're on ridiculous money and old.

    United have done everything wrong in recent years and they're continuing to do so. In fact If I was a United fan I'd be saying even if its a loan back why the F didn't we go for Saliba or any youngster with a big upside.

    I swear he posts on here

    Isn’t it @MarkFromNorwich ? :joy:
  • hoban95
    51623 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Looking at the Saliba deal from outside the window it would be a good piece of business for most clubs. It's clearly worth the punt but is it the right signing for Arsenal in this current situation? I mean you take into account their budget, what they actually need for their starting 11 and the players they can't seem to shift i'm quite skeptical.

    Or maybe Arsenal aren't looking ahead to this season but more so looking ahead for next summer and accepting what awaits them this season? If so then yes, it's a very smart piece of business.
  • Apollo
    18468 posts World Class
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Looking at the Saliba deal from outside the window it would be a good piece of business for most clubs. It's clearly worth the punt but is it the right signing for Arsenal in this current situation? I mean you take into account their budget, what they actually need for their starting 11 and the players they can't seem to shift i'm quite skeptical.

    Or maybe Arsenal aren't looking ahead to this season but more so looking ahead for next summer and accepting what awaits them this season? If so then yes, it's a very smart piece of business.

    I think they're looking at both, Ornstein says they want a CB for this season too. Whether they get one is a different matter, but they're targeting the two.
  • hoban95
    51623 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Apollo wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Looking at the Saliba deal from outside the window it would be a good piece of business for most clubs. It's clearly worth the punt but is it the right signing for Arsenal in this current situation? I mean you take into account their budget, what they actually need for their starting 11 and the players they can't seem to shift i'm quite skeptical.

    Or maybe Arsenal aren't looking ahead to this season but more so looking ahead for next summer and accepting what awaits them this season? If so then yes, it's a very smart piece of business.

    I think they're looking at both, Ornstein says they want a CB for this season too. Whether they get one is a different matter, but they're targeting the two.

    So where are the funds for a LB and potentially another forward (Zaha)?

    Still like a month to go, be interesting to see how this plays out for Arsenal.
  • dang @MarkFromNorwich that's you with 127k followers ? we GOT A CELEBRITEHH
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    edited July 2019
    @hoban95 45m budget is misleading.

    For example martinelli and Saliba are done for a combined £10m or so. That’s covered by the fee we got for Ospina and the fee we’re getting from Bennacer going to Milan.

    So we’re essentially still left with 45m to spend this window. The deal we offered to Celtic for Tierney was £10m up front. I expect that deal will be done but for something like £15M up front.

    We also bid £40M for Zaha, but the initial payment offer was £8M for this year. That obviously will have to be upped.

    The face value of the transfers we’re going for will be around 80-100M but the value this summer will tie in with our summer cash budget of 45 million.

    If the “we can go up to 70m for Zaha” is true then it’ll be something like 20m now and the rest over the next couple of years.
  • Tornado31619
    20201 posts Club Captain
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    Because as far as wages go, the club are done with throwing money at potential new players above and beyond competitive contracts to convince people to come here. De Ligt would not pick us above the other clubs that are in for him for footballing reasons, so the only way that he would be willing to come here is if we offered a stupid amount more than the other teams in for him. Ole is done with people who are only here for the higher wages, he wants people who actually want to be at the club.

    It's Man U. The point of the exercise is to build a top squad that good players want to be at. If Utd have given up on that then sure, get slabhead and Lemina and enjoy your Thursday nights

    :D

    Don't even know why I expected a remotely rational response

    Your argument is they should buy mediocre players. It's perfectly rational to point out the stupidity of that for the richest club in the world. Not all expensive players are a waste of money.

    But 70m for McGuire is rational 😁

    Club is a mess, but I didn't think they'd just given up on having any ambition



    James and Longstaff haven’t played enough at top level football, but are you telling me that Fernandes and AWB are mediocre players? You sound like Woodward with his obsession over (BTEC) Galacticos.

    Nobody buys the Lemina talk, and nobody believes that he would be good enough to start for us. As for CB, the options are Toby, Koulibaly and Maguire. De Ligt rejected us.

    We can’t attract top-class players even if we actually want them. But a few years ago, your neighbours were in a similar position to us. Then they went and spent £83m in total on Salah, Mané and Robertson - now three of the best players in their positions - less than what we signed Pogba for. Pogba didn’t work out, and now he wants Real, whilst the other three are preparing to defend the CL. See what I’m getting at?

    The Galactico policy barely did anything for a Real side with Ronaldo, Beckham and Carlos, and they actually had pull. Our Galactico policy involved being linked with all of their ageing rejects for stupid prices. Are you telling me that the likes of Bale would have helped us in the long run? I’d rather wait for Sancho next year than waste £60m on Bale this summer, only to end up with Lingard playing on the right anyway because Bale has injured himself again.
    We had a perfectly capable LW in Martial last January. But City were linked with arguably the best LW in the league at the time. We tried to get one over on them by signing him on a £400,000/week deal. Now we’re looking to sell him on, too. If the Neymar transfer destroyed the market, then the Alexis signing destroyed our wage structure. No wonder Rashford wants £200,000/week.

    You don’t sign a bunch of players and then try to squeeze them into a system that might accommodate all of them. You build your signings around the system. That’s what Liverpool have done under Klopp, spending when necessary, and now they’re laughing.
  • hoban95
    51623 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @hoban95 45m budget is misleading.

    For example martinelli and Saliba are done for a combined £10m or so. That’s covered by the fee we got for Ospina and the fee we’re getting from Bennacer going to Milan.

    So we’re essentially still left with 45m to spend this window. The deal we offered to Celtic for Tierney was £10m up front. I expect that deal will be done but for something like £15M up front.

    We also bid £40M for Zaha, but the initial payment offer was £8M for this year. That obviously will have to be upped.

    The face value of the transfers we’re going for will be around 80-100M but the value this summer will tie in with our summer cash budget of 45 million.

    If the “we can go up to 70m for Zaha” is true then it’ll be something like 20m now and the rest over the next couple of years.

    Even so say it's a 60M transfer budget, you aren't getting a good CB, LB and Zaha for that. Regardless of installments imo.
  • hoban95
    51623 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    Because as far as wages go, the club are done with throwing money at potential new players above and beyond competitive contracts to convince people to come here. De Ligt would not pick us above the other clubs that are in for him for footballing reasons, so the only way that he would be willing to come here is if we offered a stupid amount more than the other teams in for him. Ole is done with people who are only here for the higher wages, he wants people who actually want to be at the club.

    It's Man U. The point of the exercise is to build a top squad that good players want to be at. If Utd have given up on that then sure, get slabhead and Lemina and enjoy your Thursday nights

    :D

    Don't even know why I expected a remotely rational response

    Your argument is they should buy mediocre players. It's perfectly rational to point out the stupidity of that for the richest club in the world. Not all expensive players are a waste of money.

    But 70m for McGuire is rational 😁

    Club is a mess, but I didn't think they'd just given up on having any ambition



    Who? :smirk:
  • EddieFicio
    22354 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2019
    Lemina was painfully average and at times downright not good enough at Juventus. He looked good at times but was widly inconsistent and got dropped from the squad in his final season.

    He is tactically inept and his mentality isn't the best, he has/had some attitude issues back then.

    On the positive side, he has good ball control and can pass, as well as being physical. So I guess he was more suited to the PL anyway.

    I really struggle to see how he would improve a team like Manchester United, he's not even young anymore. It'd be a depth signing or a sidestep if hes replacing one of their current mids.

    I wish him luck and hope he succeeds, as he comes across as a decent guy.
  • finsfan85
    13144 posts Has That Special Something
    Tof33z wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    I dont think Maguire is better than Michael Smalling

    It's madness. De Ligt would be much the same price

    World is lacking world class cbs atm only a few out there

    So why not get Dé Ligt?

    I mean we're trying to get Zouma for about 30. No way slabhead is 40m better than him

    And I’m trying to get a date with Scarlett Johansson
  • EddieFicio
    22354 posts Club Captain
    De Ligt has already rejected United. They tried and failed, nothing more they can do. Plus De Ligt's agent is Raiola who's about to go to war with United to try and get Pogba out.
  • hoban95
    51623 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    EddieFicio wrote: »
    De Ligt has already rejected United. They tried and failed, nothing more they can do. Plus De Ligt's agent is Raiola who's about to go to war with United to try and get Pogba out.

    The last part is key.
  • MaddMike3711
    11412 posts Has That Special Something
    I always thought he was playing the flute. :joy:
Sign In or Register to comment.