Can someone help me with prime Vieira????

Pocketsquareguy
5876 posts Big Money Move
edited July 7
So I had some extra coins and decided to try prime vieira for the first time. He seems to not play like my opponents. My stay back cdm for most of the year (other than Fabinho) has been a box to box player that has great defensive stats. Flashback Vidal and since i did Gullit, moved Matthaus into that spot (players like that). Now that I’m using vieira there, he seems to be exceptionally lazy. He basically just stands there. Doesn’t hustle to get back on defense. The only value he has shown so far is that if you play directly into him he is a wall. I’m obviously using him wrong.

-he is the first H/M cdm I’ve used this year. So possibly stay back while attacking is causing him to stand around. It’s how I normally do it with the other cdm on get forward.

-chem style anchor. Seems like the best on paper. But maybe the stat combo it creates is causing him to be passive?

I’m at a loss. I play against him he is everywhere. Like kante, but huge. Mine basically just stands there. If the play passes him, he makes no effort to get back. He just casually jogs. I feel like anytime I’m defending the counter I have to control him, because otherwise he will never get back in position. I’ve played against him enough to know I’m doing something wrong.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Damo_Suzuki
    2054 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 7
    I did him and looked at his stats and thought Basic boosted everything perfectly. He felt kind of lost and clunky so i tried engine. He felt slightly less clunky but still felt lost so i tried shadow. Shadow really seemed to change the whole card for me. The extra acceleration means he can actually get involved more after you switch to him. Or at least thats how it felt for me.

I think i also just got accustomed to him. I had so many doubts at first and was worried the card didn't suit me or something but now ive had him for a while, i think he is as good as it gets for a CDM. I use him as a lone CDM in 41212(2), with stay back while attacking.
  • limjitwe
    6935 posts Big Money Move
    @Pocketsquareguy

I believe I play a similar style to you. I’m using a modric gullit combination which works so well for me. But I wanted to try Vieira which a friend of mine urged me to do.

I’ve the same issue here. He certainly doesn’t seem as good as what I’ve come up against. Worse is that he doesn’t even add anything to the attack. I’m curious to find out how others use him. I have him on Shadow chem as well.
  • HyperOCD
    639 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I did him and looked at his stats and thought Basic boosted everything perfectly. He felt kind of lost and clunky so i tried engine. He felt slightly less clunky but still felt lost so i tried shadow. Shadow really seemed to change the whole card for me. The extra acceleration means he can actually get involved more after you switch to him. Or at least thats how it felt for me.

I think i also just got accustomed to him. I had so many doubts at first and was worried the card didn't suit me or something but now ive had him for a while, i think he is as good as it gets for a CDM. I use him as a lone CDM in 41212(2), with stay back while attacking.

I would say @Damo_Suzuki is 100% right
    I was playing him with backbone to bust the passing than changed to shadow - ita a different player
    Also when i tried him in 4231 he was almost playing as ccam all the time
    When i went back to my main formation 41212-2 he started to be the right cdm i was looking
    He had replaced FB DDR in my team, after 600 games
    Huge upgrade
  • Liamalone
    116 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Having the same problem here, must try Shadow.
  • HullCity1904
    2108 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bro I didn't get on with him, so much so I put him in Gullit SBC :S

kind of regret it because I see all the pros use him but he was really one dimensional for me. Good to intercept, rubbish at anything else.
  • Mikep2212
    413 posts Sunday League Hero
    I use shadow on him in 4411 with stay back and keep central. Took a while get used to him as hes often out on the wing or further up field. Found you have to drag him back towards goal. Paired him with kante and he was truely great. Passing and tackling is amazing every now and then he may pop up with a rocket from distance too
  • Pocketsquareguy
    5876 posts Big Money Move
    I put shadow on him. He is far more aggressive despite the reduction in the aggression stat dropping anchor.
  • 3MenandaBebe
    2652 posts Fans' Favourite
    I find him best as a sub. I bring him in some games but I prefer gullit with either kante or modric
  • Gnomenclature
    3956 posts National Call-Up
    If only he would actually stay back... i cringe everytime hes in the final third and i have to shoot with him...

I would love if he was L/H workrate...
  • Lkane
    950 posts Professional
    I find prime Vieria massively overrated tbh.

Unpopular opinion though!
  • SomeNextGuy
    3193 posts National Call-Up
    He chills at CM in my team in a 4-5-1 and bosses it.
  • libertao
    978 posts Professional
    edited July 7
    I thought it would be clever putting trying Finisher on him once I upgraded to Prime to get that 99 long shots along with the Phy boost. After a few games where he didn't come close to scoring a longshot, I went back to Shadow+Stay back while attacking and he is as he should be.
  • JohnDoe
    11310 posts Has That Special Something
    I play him on stay back, cut passing lanes in a 4231 on 5 depth and press after possession loss. He started doing well for me after I stepped up my game in terms of aggressiveness, but I still don't think he's as good as people make him out to be. TOTS Goretzka is the most influential CDM I've used this year.
  • Boysie91
    9090 posts Has That Special Something
    Didn't rate base and middle version and was told prime is much better and will stay back so bought prime played for 8 games and didn't notice the difference from middle. I did win all my games though 😄 just sold prime and buying Havertz and Eusebio for fun factor and will stick with Fernandinho.
  • Nodge86
    1302 posts Professional
    His long legs intercept absolutely everything. He scored five or six massively important goals this WL too.
  • Colt_seevers
    1214 posts Professional
    If he’s like last year then he’s just a wall, nothing more. Adds nothing other than defence. But since the game is so defence oriented....
  • Bobo23
    1221 posts Professional
    edited July 7
    He's always out of position for me, no matter if I have him on stay back or whatever. He just wanders up the field and if I lose possession while attacking, there's a huge hole in my midfield where he should be.

When he's in position he's great, but he's very rarely in position unfortunately, well for me he's not anyway.
  • Thuq
    954 posts Semi-Pro
    I love him, i use him next to TOTS Wijnaldum . Both on Shadow, Vieira on stay back as a rock while Wijnaldum runs around like a maniac. He occasionally makes stupid passes, but tbh that is in the game.
  • Liamalone
    116 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    A different player since I wanged Shadow on him alright now. Cheers
  • Natureboy44
    901 posts Semi-Pro
    Shadow Chem
  • Vezzo
    954 posts Professional
    Using engine. He is.the rock in front of defence.
  • madwullie
    5092 posts Big Money Move
    I'm playing him on basic and he's decent but not the huge upgrade on his 88 I was hoping for. In fact I haven't really seen any difference. Will try shadow 👍
  • starfox1284
    1957 posts Fans' Favourite
    He is amazing for me....got anchor on him and he does what i got him to do....sit in front of my defense and play defense, he should not ve expected to do anything else.
  • I use his 91 with Engine, I find for the most part he is solid but he seems to get forward a lot given I have him on stay back.

His height is good defending corners as he usually defends the near post for me, and his presence centrally is enough to force people wide rather than through him. But time to time he goes missing or gets outmuscled by some 5’5 midfielder and it does make me wonder what I’m doing wrong.
  • Salvatori
    1254 posts Professional
    I have used him for a couple hundred games now and like him, but i defo have the issue where he bombs forward too often :D Actually scored some lovely goals for me when he ends up played in 1 v 1 as suddenly my furtherest player forward.

Had him on Engine but might give him a go on Shaddow reading the above
  • Kingdingaling
    2073 posts Fans' Favourite
    libertao wrote: »
    I thought it would be clever putting trying Finisher on him once I upgraded to Prime to get that 99 long shots along with the Phy boost. After a few games where he didn't come close to scoring a longshot, I went back to Shadow+Stay back while attacking and he is as he should be.

Sad people putting stay back on all there players shows how trash they are
  • libertao
    978 posts Professional

Huh? All players? Vieira is surely the #1 player in the game people set to stay-back-while-attacking. He's not good at attacking and magnificent at protecting the back four, so it makes perfect sense.
  • madwullie
    5092 posts Big Money Move
    Vieira is literally the only player I have in my 11 that I set to stay back. If I'm defending a lead, I'll sometimes put my rb on stay back too, but toty marcelo is always join the attack/aggressive interceptions/overlap.

The reason Vieira is usually on stay back for most people is that he is arguably the best defensive midfielder in the game (and pretty crud going forward) so people put him on stay back to use his talents to the max and to keep their formation's shape.

OT, I put a shadow on him for about 5 games last night and really did notice an improvement from basic. He covered more ground, seemed to be where he should be more frequently and (seemed to) played more aggressively.

Cheers to whomever suggested that 🍻
  • Longbow
    144 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    My vieira goes up occasionally. I find that this is actually my own doing. Sometimes I’m too trigger free in my 1-2 passes or LB1 that definitely trigger him to run upfield. This is especially so if I play a flat formation like 442. I don’t have such problems when I play 41212-2 or 4231
  • libertao wrote: »

Huh? All players? Vieira is surely the #1 player in the game people set to stay-back-while-attacking. He's not good at attacking and magnificent at protecting the back four, so it makes perfect sense.

Don't bite, this guy literally puts stuff like this on every thread as bait.