It’s actually worth purposely losing games at the start of WL.

Brunjes_FC
908 posts Professional
Bit of background. I usually finish gold 2, sometimes gold 3, but never gold 1. This weekend I had my best ever start in the three years I’ve been playing (9-3). This was finally going to be the WL I get Gold 1. I’m now sitting on 10-11. From 9-3 to 10-11. 1 win and 8 loses from 9 games.

I understand that matchmaking is a thing, and that the higher you go, the tougher the opponent, but it seems too extreme.

Every weekend I had a strong start, I only finish gold 3. Every weekend I start crap (5-5 or 4-6), I finish Gold 2. Just doesn’t seem right. Winning more at the start should increase your chance of doing well, not decrease it.

Next week I’m purposely losing to go 4-6.

Comments

• Vix14
    481 posts An Exciting Prospect
    If that's the case then I'm relieved cause I played 3 and lost all 3.
  • number7rocky
    8560 posts League Winner
    Mmandras wrote: »
    The algorythm is unfair, it suits better players. We are fodder for 20+ win players. EA doesn't want to give you a chance. It's an elite competition after all.

At this point I feel like every single game it's la croquta show. And every team, I kid you not, every team has Gullit.

It's like that for everyone, I'm an elite 2/3 player and when I've got into an amazing position for Elite 1 several times I get screwed by matchmaking matching top 100 guys ect... Game doesn't reward you for a good start
  • invictus1
    260 posts Sunday League Hero
    Maybe the gold 1 players make it to gold 1 because they beat elite level players when that time come that they are matched up. That seperates the G1 from G2 3. Same as the other guy who cant make it to elite 1.
  • lippyone
    2650 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2019
    I am 8 wins 10 loses which is better than I normally do, I have been surprised by the lack of skill abusers so far. Most people have been well behaved.

was on 2 from 10 so have won Six of the last Eight which is unheard of for me. Seems to be after about game Ten that start to see even matchups.

Once hit 11 wins it gets very tough again, same every week
  • madwullie
    6444 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2019
    Yeah I don't mind a loss or two in my first 10 games. Keeps opponents human and not seeming fifa robots.
  • Momus
    1836 posts Play-Off Hero
    In theory it would even out the same. If you lost on purpose then you would face easier opponents and pick up a few wins, but then you still have those initial losses. In the same way you will have those losses had you not lost on purpose by facing better players
  • lukey200
    983 posts Professional
    its a fix
  • Psyclon13
    403 posts Sunday League Hero
    Last night I won 8 out of 10. This night I'm prepared for 2 out of 10, and the third night 4 out of 10, leaving me at Gold 3, as always.
  • Chavez76
    9861 posts League Winner
    Momus wrote: »
    In theory it would even out the same. If you lost on purpose then you would face easier opponents and pick up a few wins, but then you still have those initial losses. In the same way you will have those losses had you not lost on purpose by facing better players

this. In order to come higher, at some point in the weekend, you are going to need to beat players that you usually do not beat.
    It's as simple as that.
  • WildaF3niX
    2070 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2019
    It doesnt matter... unless you hit like 15-0 which you never do, so its irrelevant
  • Poolstu123
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    WildaF3niX wrote: »
    It doesnt matter... unless you hit like 15-0 which you never do, so its irrelevant

That definitely needs some elaboration 😂
  • Brunjes_FC
    908 posts Professional
    11-13 now. Keep in mind I’m regularly a gold 2 player. My best ever start has resulted in one of my worst WLs all season

• ILevis
    1689 posts Play-Off Hero
    True

I just give away my first 10 games and then usually go on a 17 win streak to secure gold 2 because you are facing that much worse players. Similar results but i play 17-20 stress free games instead of 30 stressfull games
  • Mrhey31
    3009 posts National Call-Up
    Brunjes_FC wrote: »
    11-13 now. Keep in mind I’m regularly a gold 2 player. My best ever start has resulted in one of my worst WLs all season

Thats why I have stopped playing all year at 11 wins. But Thats no use with the TOTS cards out, i now have to play to 17 wins to get the best chance at a good TOTS player( so far i have gotten all the keepers).
  • Div 2 player

Last week I started with 8 wins from 10, finished silver 1

The week before I lost my first 5 and finished gold 2, easily.

It’s like the matchmaking isn’t fluid. You play 10 games, then no matter what you’re gonna play a certain level of opponent.
  • AJ1991
    32 posts Last Pick at the Park
    ILevis wrote: »
    True

I just give away my first 10 games and then usually go on a 17 win streak to secure gold 2 because you are facing that much worse players. Similar results but i play 17-20 stress free games instead of 30 stressfull games

Gna try this next week
  • Momus
    1836 posts Play-Off Hero
    True

I thought ELO wasn’t affected if you quit a game - if that’s what you’re doing when you mean giving away your first 10 ? Or do you just put the controller down for them?
  • ILevis
    1689 posts Play-Off Hero
    Momus wrote: »
    True

I thought ELO wasn’t affected if you quit a game - if that’s what you’re doing when you mean giving away your first 10 ? Or do you just put the controller down for them?

I just put the controller down, still need those juicy rivals points

I just have the controller down on fridays while i do my chores and stuff for university and then actually play the games on saturday/sunday
  • n2j2000
    2503 posts Fans' Favourite
    The matchmaking system for weekend league is completely flawed.

The first thing EA need to implement is to show your opponents record on the load up screen so you know the difficulty of player you are up against each game.
  • Jrutts
    838 posts Professional
    Yeh I find this too every time I get a good start like yday for instance went 9-2 and ended up after work finishing the night like 10-6 guess I’m on for the same finish once again
  • lippyone
    2650 posts National Call-Up
    I find taking a long break resets the quality of opponents.
    For example yesterday I went on a winning streak. Started the day at 2-8 and went on a run of winning. Game 11 to 18 I won Six of them and did not want to stop plYing as know what happens.

Can guarantee today that the situation will reverse and will be unable to win hardly a game and that i will finish on 11 to 14 wins.
    Am currently on 8 with 12 to go, and pretty much guarantee I will not win more than Six of those, probably more like Three or Four.
  • Invincibility
    4814 posts National Call-Up
    The skill abuse on 17+ Wins is so annoying and boring to play against whole match tornado's and la croquettas