Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Apollo
    15078 posts World Class
    If he picks PSG over Barca he's definitely in it for the money. Every footballing factor says Barca is the move he should be making.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    If he picks PSG over Barca he's definitely in it for the money. Every footballing factor says Barca is the move he should be making.

Barca's hand is strongest or possibly there is an argument for Juventus (win the CL with Ronaldo) or maybe even United (grow in the Prem), but there is no case for PSG. It's basically China with Champions League matches.

I'll be disappointed if he goes to Juve or Barca, but if he goes to PSG then I'm glad we missed out on him. Will betray greed beneath that tough talk.
  • Shshj
    4193 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 11
    Hugely disappointing if this PSG rumour is true. Ligue 1 is a gutter league, Neymar and Mbappe have both publicly alluded to fact they already want moves away from France, any sought-after footballer with an ounce of sense would stay well clear. He'll just be another top talent who'll be tied down to PSG by a long contract.

Unfortunately this is a another deal which has Raiola's fingerprints all over it.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class
    Shshj wrote: »
    Hugely disappointing if this PSG rumour is true. Ligue 1 is a gutter league, Neymar and Mbappe have both publicly alluded to fact they already want moves away from France, any sought-after footballer with an ounce of sense would stay well clear. He'll just be another top talent who'll be tied down to PSG by a long contract.

Unfortunately this is a another deal which has Raiola's fingerprints all over it.

Hate it when people blame agents. Raiola can’t sign a 5 year deal for him.

Ultimately, it speaks to the players’ priorities and an agent can only manifest those
  • finsfan85
    12451 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Ultimately, it speaks to the players’ priorities and an agent can only manifest those

Well known that Raiola is the reason Lukaku ended up at United.
  • Retro_G
    29320 posts Player of the Year

Telegraph reporting conflicting info to some other reports here by saying that James doesn't count as one of the 5 targets being reported and that we're therefore after a senior RW. :o Wonder if they're right

I believe so, think we're after a RW.
  • Apollo
    15078 posts World Class
    edited June 11

Especially with a personality as big as De Ligt's. No way he's going anywhere he doesn't actually want to go to.
  • Shshj
    4193 posts National Call-Up

True, but I think when an agent of Raiola's nature takes hold of a deal there's always going to be speculation around the finances. This doesn't do his reputation any good and makes De Ligt look like a young, money-chasing fool.
  • Retro_G

I doubt Barca would guarantee him first team football though.
  • finsfan85
    12451 posts Has That Special Something
  • Keano
    13434 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 11

We all knew this anyway... hiring a Sporting director/dof etc during a window is ridiculous & would only hinder us as they'd be throwing different ideas into the mix that arnt along with what's been spoke about beforehand. Woodward should've hired them between december-march, he failed massively there... but he better hire one once the Window shuts because we need one from now on, he may like to have control over it all (or the Glazers like to), but it's not beneficial to the club or them having people in control who know nothing about the market/sport they're in.
  • Apollo
    15078 posts World Class

He was always going to be sadly. Has been pretty well reported for a while now that the role Woodward and the club have in mind for the new director is not transfer based. Nothing new there.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Was always going to be the case. Never going to give one person full say on transfers.

All we can hope for is that we make signings connecting all departments not just commercial. He hasn't failed in spending/buying it's the amount of deadwood still here and constant changing of tactic in the structure of the squad e.g. Was a fire sale with LVG. Constant learning on the job it seems and gets away with it cause he the Glazers man.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class
    I forget where I read it but there was a reputable story a while back that Ole and the scouting department have veto over each other in our new transfer committee.

That should hopefully help, but I’d like another former player in there. Rio’s comments make him seem ideal.
  • WelshWizard
    edited June 11
    I forget where I read it but there was a reputable story a while back that Ole and the scouting department have veto over each other in our new transfer committee.

That should hopefully help, but I’d like another former player in there. Rio’s comments make him seem ideal.

Just more football people in general would help but don't want too many all having a say.

If it's Mick Phelan and Ole having a veto that would be fine but why the scouting department(3/4 people in management positions) having one against the management when they should be working together is beyond me. Then Ed has one representing the club seems so awkward and likely more so than it really is.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31913 posts National Team Captain
    Retro_G wrote: »

I don't. Pique will be slowly worked out of the first team, the guy's been poor for years now (always been overrated imo and bailed out by the surrounding talent). Umtiti's knee's are a big concern, per a lot of reports he still currently isn't 100% and supposedly there is still pain that he's playing through. Lenglet is the best/most reliable CB at the moment.

He may not be starting out the gate, but he'll 100% be starting before the season ends.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class
    edited June 11

Just more football people in general would help but don't want too many all having a say.

If it's Mick Phelan and Ole having a veto that would be fine but why the scouting department(3/4 people in management positions) having one against the management when they should be working together is beyond me. Then Ed has one representing the club seems so awkward and likely more so than it really is.

Personally, I'm a fan of the general idea. I think we could have avoided so many mistakes if the manager's had listened to the sports science or scouting departments.

Unless they all agree someone is worth it, we should not be signing players. I would like a director of football or more powerful head scout representing the scouting department rather than a group though.

Will hopefully prevent more Matic and Sanchez signings (players whose legs have gone)
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class

Garbage source but hopefully true
  • Retro_G
    edited June 11

I don't. Pique will be slowly worked out of the first team, the guy's been poor for years now (always been overrated imo and bailed out by the surrounding talent). Umtiti's knee's are a big concern, per a lot of reports he still currently isn't 100% and supposedly there is still pain that he's playing through. Lenglet is the best/most reliable CB at the moment.

He may not be starting out the gate, but he'll 100% be starting before the season ends.

Pique, Messi are two players who run that Barca dressing room, if De Ligt was signed, he would be more likely to get a few games beside Pique for he is the most experienced centre back.

Umtiti starts ahead of De Ligt when fit, from all reports Umtiti expects to be back next season. There is no chance they will guarantee De Ligt first team football. Plenty of players have played through the pain barrier in the past too, i.e. Hargreaves. You can't say De Ligt will be starting 100% before the season ends, that's moronic. Who're you, Mystic Meg?
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class

Pique, Messi are two players who run that Barca dressing room, if De Ligt was signed, he would be more likely to get a few games beside Pique for he is the most experienced centre back.

Umtiti starts ahead of De Ligt when fit, from all reports Umititi expects to be back next season. There is no chance they will guarantee De Ligt first team football. Plenty of players have played through the pain barrier in the past too, i.e. Hargreaves. You can't say De Ligt will be starting 100% before the season ends, that's moronic. Who're you, Mystic Meg?

I can see your argument but then go to Juventus? Serie A is a decent league, you play with Ronaldo, and their CBs are like 150 years old so you'd likely start there.

There is no sporting justification to move to PSG.

I got it for Mbappe because he was evidently a childhood fan and he's French so the lure of home must be strong too.

For Neymar, Herrera, de Ligt and the other foreigners with multiple offers though, it's just a big pay day.
  • WelshWizard

Personally, I'm a fan of the general idea. I think we could have avoided so many mistakes if the manager's had listened to the sports science or scouting departments.

Unless they all agree someone is worth it, we should not be signing players. I would like a director of football or more powerful head scout representing the scouting department rather than a group though.

Will hopefully prevent more Matic and Sanchez signings (players whose legs have gone)

I'm a fan of it if it's done right. I just don't see how the communication can be so broken that you have to sit down and actually veto something rather than agreeing it before bringing it to the table. Tbf the reports are we are improving that communication and it is becoming a machine again than just Woodward and Manager.

From David Gill on Deals and Fergie.

"We would assess things every day of the year. Players around the world that we might be interested and also players who might be coming through our academy. Assessing the players we currently had in the team, their age, form, fitness, length of contract, too. The whole machine was feeding it."

"We had discussions about players. He would give certain priorities, like the character being harmonious, to an extent."

Ole has been defining the profile of players he wants in interviews and leaks, and even been reports of character checks, the James signing indicates that they are getting followed through, he is in meetings with Woodward on a regular basis, none of this note or lists of targets talk. Profiles, Targets and Positions have all been leaked that match an assessment of needs from the outside looking in. it's looking promising but the fact we loss all this and the board were vetoing the manager after giving him a new contract 6 months earlier will always be a question mark over Ed Woodward's head especially when it comes to appointing people to big roles at the club.

• Retro_G

Umtiti starts ahead of De Ligt when fit, from all reports Umititi expects to be back next season. There is no chance they will guarantee De Ligt first team football. Plenty of players have played through the pain barrier in the past too, i.e. Hargreaves. You can't say De Ligt will be starting 100% before the season ends, that's moronic. Who're you, Mystic Meg?

I can see your argument but then go to Juventus? Serie A is a decent league, you play with Ronaldo, and their CBs are like 150 years old so you'd likely start there.

There is no sporting justification to move to PSG.

I got it for Mbappe because he was evidently a childhood fan and he's French so the lure of home must be strong too.

For Neymar, Herrera, de Ligt and the other foreigners with multiple offers though, it's just a big pay day.

I agree, Juventus would be the logical choice, but De Ligt is still very young, money can spin a kids head. In five years time, he could go to a bigger club and he would still only be 24. That's why I thought we had a realistic chance of signing De Ligt and had we offered a big enough contract.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class

I'm a fan of it if it's done right. I just don't see how the communication can be so broken that you have to sit down and actually veto something rather than agreeing it before bringing it to the table. Tbf the reports are we are improving that communication and it is becoming a machine again than just Woodward and Manager.

From David Gill on Deals and Fergie.

"We would assess things every day of the year. Players around the world that we might be interested and also players who might be coming through our academy. Assessing the players we currently had in the team, their age, form, fitness, length of contract, too. The whole machine was feeding it."

"We had discussions about players. He would give certain priorities, like the character being harmonious, to an extent."

Ole has been defining the profile of players he wants in interviews and leaks, and even been reports of character checks, the James signing indicates that they are getting followed through, he is in meetings with Woodward on a regular basis, none of this note or lists of targets talk. Profiles, Targets and Positions have all been leaked that match an assessment of needs from the outside looking in. it's looking promising but the fact we loss all this and the board were vetoing the manager after giving him a new contract 6 months earlier will always be a question mark over Ed Woodward's head especially when it comes to appointing people to big roles at the club.

There was a great discussion on the latest Sky transfer podcast that Wan Bissaka and Maguire are evidently that kind of humble hard working mature character too that we see in James.

Very glad to see Ole is considering that after the fiasco of Memphis showing up to reserve maches in red leather and a Rolls Royce :lol:

Right characters for the dressing room alongside the likes of Lindelof and Shaw.

Hopefully they can rub off on Rashford and Martial rather than Lingard and Pogba.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class
    edited June 12

Twitter "fans":

"tRAshFoRd"
    "NoT gOOd enoUgh"
    "oNLy plAys becAuSE hEs EnGliSh"
  • Kman
    2932 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m sure AWB would want to come here over Palace, that’s a given, it’s just a matter of us coming to the table with the right offer. I’m sure something in the vicinity of £50m-£60m will get it done.
  • Ahmer50x
    18294 posts World Class

More detail from Fabrizio’s IG post:

‪Matthijs de Ligt today has received Paris Saint-Germain official contract bid. The proposal is for 5 years. His agent Mino Raiola is now in Paris to start talks with new director Leonardo. The player has not decided yet about his next club, but PSG will insist to finalize the deal soon. De Ligt is waiting to understand if other clubs (more Barcelona, than Manchester United or Liverpool) are going to make another bid after the lasts he has refused, then he’ll announce his decision. PSG are pushing... 🇳🇱🔵
    #deligt #psg #mufc #lfc #barcelona #transfers
  • Wz000
    214 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    **** that guy if he goes to PSG would be such a waste of talent

More detail from Fabrizio’s IG post:

‪Matthijs de Ligt today has received Paris Saint-Germain official contract bid. The proposal is for 5 years. His agent Mino Raiola is now in Paris to start talks with new director Leonardo. The player has not decided yet about his next club, but PSG will insist to finalize the deal soon. De Ligt is waiting to understand if other clubs (more Barcelona, than Manchester United or Liverpool) are going to make another bid after the lasts he has refused, then he’ll announce his decision. PSG are pushing... 🇳🇱🔵
    #deligt #psg #mufc #lfc #barcelona #transfers

• Sellish
    9202 posts League Winner
    Imagine being asked personally by Ronaldo to go and play with him in Juventus instead of his other option, to play with Messi at Barcelona and then pick to go the farmer league Ligue 1 and play with immature Neymar who have lost his head completely.