Why is this community so toxic??

Comments

• zoltaroman
    73 posts Park Captain
    FCBlunt wrote: »
    I dont think there’s anything toxic about celebrating or trying your hardest to win.

The toxicity comes with the msgs and all that, which rarely happens tbf.

It’s starting to get toxic with all the blaming going on like, you cant celebrate, you cant play keep ball. Why not? Because you think its toxic?

The game have become more about dictating other peoples style of play instead of improving your own. It’s a joke, this is truly the toxic part, wanting others to change because you’re unwilling to change.

G G

Well said my friend.
  • Shahski
    778 posts Semi-Pro
    It's not just kids. I'm 36 and I shhhh and over celebrate. It's a game. That's all. Its only seems toxic if you take the game far too serious.
  • SomeNextGuy
    2607 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 10
    In game, who gives a ****? If a virtual character running around telling you to shush, or dancing rattles you then you need help.

Anyone ever played Halo? There wasn't this amount of anger towards teabagging, which was/is hilarious, and that's basically the same thing.

I think that tells. The average level of immaturity of the people who play this game means they're a lot more easily wound up.
  • what3v3r
    161 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Shahski wrote: »
    It's not just kids. I'm 36 and I shhhh and over celebrate. It's a game. That's all. Its only seems toxic if you take the game far too serious.

And why do you do that? Do you get any pleasure from it? Would you do it playing offline or only if you know there is someone you never saw that could potentially be offended?
  • Hibee
    11862 posts Has That Special Something

Damn thats sad!
  • Shahski
    778 posts Semi-Pro
    what3v3r wrote: »

And why do you do that? Do you get any pleasure from it? Would you do it playing offline or only if you know there is someone you never saw that could potentially be offended?

I do it online because I like to wind the opponent up. I'm being truthfully honest here. I would suggest most people on here put the fingers to their lips and over celebrate. Its human nature. I dont send messages etc to my opponent. That I agree is toxic, but using celebrations for 5 seconds, its hardly toxic. It's in the game.
  • Idek
    10087 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 10
    "I do it because I like to wind the opponent up"

"It's hardly toxic"

lol
  • Shahski
    778 posts Semi-Pro
    Idek wrote: »

"It's hardly toxic"

lol

If you think winding an opponent up by using a goal celebration is toxic, then I'm afraid you have lived a very sheltered life.
  • DanValletta
    1528 posts Play-Off Hero
    Idek wrote: »

"It's hardly toxic"

lol

If you think winding an opponent up by using a goal celebration is toxic, then I'm afraid you have lived a very sheltered life.

Or a very lucky one. I do however think that It's a net negative to try and wind the other person up. It's just negative energy at worst but imo, It is on the person receiving it to ignore it. If the people who do that type of thing can no longer get a rise out of people or it has no effect, they will more than likely stop.

The people who do this type of thing though come to a forum like this, see these type of threads, laugh at you and carry on.
  • ImAtrocious
    1787 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think it'd be a good idea to implement something like sportsmanship points. I could see it being two fold: 1) you get the opportunity to rate your opponent after the game, and 2) the game automatically tracks certain data, like if you skipped replays or took in all the cut scenes.

If there were packs made available for reaching certain sportsmanship thresholds, I think things would change.

And yes, some jerks would never rate you highly regardless of how you played, but that's why a second metric would also be around.
  • Shahski
    778 posts Semi-Pro
    Or just take celebrating out.of the game. Soon as the goal goes in, back to he centre circle. Seems like people dont like people celebrating, so just take it out. That would fix the issue.
  • DanValletta
    1528 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think it'd be a good idea to implement something like sportsmanship points. I could see it being two fold: 1) you get the opportunity to rate your opponent after the game, and 2) the game automatically tracks certain data, like if you skipped replays or took in all the cut scenes.

If there were packs made available for reaching certain sportsmanship thresholds, I think things would change.

And yes, some jerks would never rate you highly regardless of how you played, but that's why a second metric would also be around.

Only my opinion but I think that's way over complicating the issue. Just grow a proverbial pair. EA aren't going to take it out of the game so just realise these people exist, so what, will it matter a day, week, month or year from now whether overweight smelly Jimmy who just lost his job at Mac D's or the queen shushed you in a game of pixel football?

Just learn to accept that these people have an issue for whatever reason. If anything, sympathise with them.
  • n2j2000 wrote: »
    iST4PL3S wrote: »
    You really call dabbing shushing and time wasting “abuse”? Get a grip

And here is part of the problem. Kids these days don’t see anything wrong with it.

That is a bloddy strategy man,, used by professional footballers
  • DanValletta
    1528 posts Play-Off Hero
    n2j2000 wrote: »

And here is part of the problem. Kids these days don’t see anything wrong with it.

As much as I agree It's a strategy. I've never seen a pro run slowly to the half way line zigzagging with their finger to their lips only to get their and start doing some crazy dabs, although I'd love to see it.
  • n2j2000 wrote: »

As much as I agree It's a strategy. I've never seen a pro run slowly to the half way line zigzagging with their finger to their lips only to get their and start doing some crazy dabs, although I'd love to see it.

Buddy i meant time wasting by keeping the ball down the channel,,,, i hate celebrations myself
  • ImAtrocious
    1787 posts Play-Off Hero

Only my opinion but I think that's way over complicating the issue. Just grow a proverbial pair. EA aren't going to take it out of the game so just realise these people exist, so what, will it matter a day, week, month or year from now whether overweight smelly Jimmy who just lost his job at Mac D's or the queen shushed you in a game of pixel football?

Just learn to accept that these people have an issue for whatever reason. If anything, sympathise with them.

I'm not sure that my idea is overly complicated. Not to mention, I think fair play is actually used for determining which team goes through group stages in case of ties at FIFA youth events? I can handle the toxicity pretty well and really am not too upset by it. But if the thread is about changing behavior, then incentivising good sportsmanship with packs is probably the only way it'd happen.
  • Colt_seevers
    1078 posts Professional

I cringe hard when guys do this
  • SomeNextGuy
    2607 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 10
    Seriously though, could you imagine a Halo forum with a thread 'oh my God, this community is so toxic, I keep getting teabagged 😢'?

They'd get laughed off the forum.

Get a grip, kids.
  • CustardHippo
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Seriously though, could you imagine a Halo forum with a thread 'oh my God, this community is so toxic, I keep getting teabagged 😢'?

Get a grip, kids.

I compared it similar in my previous post; its like flicking the night vision on/off after getting the final kill on CoD, or spinning really fast or teabagging prior to killing the guy defusing etc. Its just a showboat to put on the killcam and in most cases its kind of funny. I remember people used to stand over the defuser dancing or placing C4 etc just to watch it back on the killcam.
  • PirateW
    128 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I cringe hard when guys do this
    I feel sorry for the guys who do it, moreso now I’ve learnt there are 30+ year olds doing it.
    I always expected it to be 14-17 year olds who don’t know any better - it doesn’t make me feel bad them doing it, just pitiful that they are probably sitting smug thinking they’re winding me up after scoring a rebound goal from 4 yards out.
    I’m now astounded that it may be people who ought to be more mature and realise that life’s short enough without wasting an extra 15 seconds of celebration time.
    They must have low esteem and low mental capacity to take pleasure what that type of thing.
  • ImAtrocious
    1787 posts Play-Off Hero

Get a grip, kids.

Maybe this is part of the difference - there's loads of us that have never played Halo or wouldn't even know what a shooter game looked like, so the behavior hasn't been normalized.