What formation for people not great at pressing/defending?

Mazza17
771 posts Professional
Hi
I’m a div 5 rivals player who’s struggling with defence and pressing in particular. Wanted some advice on formation to try to help but also one which creates as more than capable of scoring 2/3 goals a game.
Any feedback be much appreciated

Comments

• TheArchitect
    941 posts Professional
    Long ball or mant different tactics. Some tactics will have a non marked player when opponents is playing pressure.

The game is broken so just play how you like it the most.
    Opponent prob cant win a game without pressing so dont sweat it
  • Mazza17
    771 posts Professional
    I enjoy building up using wings but sick to death of every time I lose possession my players are miles away from the ball and can’t get close to them.
    I always end up player switching around box to cbs but quick 1-2s always lead to opponents scoring
  • starfox1284
    1401 posts Professional
    edited June 10
    Mazza17 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m a div 5 rivals player who’s struggling with defence and pressing in particular. Wanted some advice on formation to try to help but also one which creates as more than capable of scoring 2/3 goals a game.
    Any feedback be much appreciated

Best advice I'd give is to press them back because if they press you then it drain's your players stamina as well so might as well just make it a nice 5-6 goal a piece type of game. The other option is to play a wide formation and keep it wide and play more long balls (crossing). Never get caught in the middle of the pitch on a team that is pressing.
  • Salvatori
    682 posts An Exciting Prospect
    You want something that is good at defending, but also scores 2 - 3 per game :D Not asking much are you..........

Pretty sure i said all this in your other thread, but 433 is probably the best starting point. Use one of those with a DM, and that gives you a solid base. The CMs will help out as long as your not using fast build up and have the correct work rates.

IT also gives you the wings you say you like to use and its plenty capable of scoring goals.

If you are controlling your CB's though, make sure you are never charging forward with them. That is what gives away the quick one 1-2. Only control the CB if the opponent is heading towards your goal, and if he turns and runs away, immediately release control of the CB rather than following him. That is key to avoiding quick 1 - 2 goals
  • Woeful
    63 posts Park Captain
    5-2-1-2 with balanced fullbacks
  • Woeful
    63 posts Park Captain
    ^^ is basically 4-1-2-1-2 but with your cdm always at the back. will help you defensively. important to have high high cm's so they go box to box
  • Mazza17
    771 posts Professional
    I may just bite bullet and go back to 41212(2). How would you stop people attacking down wings with this then? Would you change width setting on defence??
  • Woeful
    63 posts Park Captain
    I may just bite bullet and go back to 41212(2). How would you stop people attacking down wings with this then? Would you change width setting on defence??

if thats to me about the 5-2-1-2 wingbacks, the left and right cb sit pretty wide when youre attacking so youre covered from the wing counter, and if they dont hit the wing the cbs come in tight and the wingbacks come back to fullback. high high cms come back to fill gaps, but on defensive i play 1 width so the 3 cbs are tight when the wingbacks are back
  • Salvatori
    The other option i would consider is the 4231 wide. Gives you 2 x DM and 2 wingers for your build up play. But ultimately try a few games with these, record the games and figure out whats working and what is not
  • Mazza17
    771 posts Professional
    Do you find it harder to create though with 4231 wide??
  • DannySTFC
    879 posts Semi-Pro
    Go 4231. Put full backs on stay back, at least 1 of the ‘2’ in midfield on stay back and cover centre, maybe even both of them. Put custom tactics to drop back defensively and something like 3 clicks along the bar. Attacking just leave balanced.
  • Salvatori
    Do you find it harder to create though with 4231 wide??

It depends on your playstyle. No one system fits everyone. Try it and find out. I see players use this and destroy me, but i can say that about any formation. I also have smashed players 4 v 0 when they are using any formatiom
  • paul24878306
    4700 posts Big Money Move
    Salvatori wrote: »
    You want something that is good at defending, but also scores 2 - 3 per game :D Not asking much are you..........

Pretty sure i said all this in your other thread, but 433 is probably the best starting point. Use one of those with a DM, and that gives you a solid base. The CMs will help out as long as your not using fast build up and have the correct work rates.

IT also gives you the wings you say you like to use and its plenty capable of scoring goals.

If you are controlling your CB's though, make sure you are never charging forward with them. That is what gives away the quick one 1-2. Only control the CB if the opponent is heading towards your goal, and if he turns and runs away, immediately release control of the CB rather than following him. That is key to avoiding quick 1 - 2 goals

This.

I only started 10 days ago, but using 433(2). Instructions sre all default except striker on targetman and cdm on stay back.

I do use s orem team.

Cdm should be big and strong with good interceptions, not a pit bull dwarf like kante. Cms shoukd be mire like cams. I rotate eriksen, kdb and alli, though i want to replace alli with pogba.

Wingers dont need pace.... good passing, crossing, vision with composure and long shots.

Striker again, tall preferably, but with good short passing and finishing. I yse jane, arnautovic, aubamuyang (not for psce, for height and composure) - firmino works doe to passing but is a little short.
  • Recoba
    3462 posts National Call-Up
    4231 with the LM/RM
  • paul24878306
    4700 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 10

I quite like 41212(2) as well but have attack width on max, and defending on default.
  • Mazza17
    771 posts Professional
    Salvatori wrote: »

This.

I only started 10 days ago, but using 433(2). Instructions sre all default except striker on targetman and cdm on stay back.

I do use s orem team.

Cdm should be big and strong with good interceptions, not a pit bull dwarf like kante. Cms shoukd be mire like cams. I rotate eriksen, kdb and alli, though i want to replace alli with pogba.

Wingers dont need pace.... good passing, crossing, vision with composure and long shots.

Striker again, tall preferably, but with good short passing and finishing. I yse jane, arnautovic, aubamuyang (not for psce, for height and composure) - firmino works doe to passing but is a little short.

How did you do on WL with this formation?