How to get the best out of R9?

Cadey 5
10464 posts Has That Special Something
So as most of you know at TOTS I hit the jackpot packing PIM Pele and TOTS PEA, in my utter disbelief I quickly came to the conclusion that unlocking one of the greats whilst I was growing up and pairing him up with one of the greatest to play the game was too much of a pull to turn down.

I am now 100 games in with Ronaldo and I can honestly say this will go up there with one of my biggest regrets in FUT as long purchasing TOTY Neymar for 2.8 million on 16..

He has less then a goal contribution per game my skill rating has dropped from 2350 to 2090 in that time and i can't get anything out of him. PEA was smashing them in over 30 goals in 30 games and double figures for asists but it was't fun to score with him as I had know attachment to that player and one of my big things is using players I get that slight bit more of enjoyment from scoring with.

That joy has turned to frustration whilst I am missing these:

ShorttermZanyChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif
PointedJubilantCommongonolek-size_restricted.gif
AmazingSimilarJabiru-size_restricted.gif

meanwhile every shot from every angle seems to be flying in my net from right back half volleys to scoop crosses

EarnestIllegalKrill-size_restricted.gif
UnsightlyCalculatingEarthworm-size_restricted.gif

using him ATM is genially ruining my FUT Experience I had been ok with game play but this week I could't get away from the scoop crosses and that skill move it took me over 20 games to get the points for D1 R1 WITH WL points.

Comments

• Diggy
    13629 posts Has That Special Something
    Try 4411 with him striker & Pele CF?

& this
    EddieFicio wrote: »
    Feed him burgers

• CheeseSlice
    746 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 5
    He was **** last year too...didn’t get in behind at all...**** work rates .... I used 92 futties Lozano and Ronaldo was no where near as good
  • Orison
    48546 posts FIFA Cover Star
    @M98H help him
  • Cadey 5
    Diggy wrote: »
    Try 4411 with him striker & Pele CF?

& this
    Feed him burgers

Something needs to change I’ve never been on such a bad run.
  • GL
    6618 posts Big Money Move
    Bench him
  • M98H
    12911 posts Has That Special Something
    Orison wrote: »
    @M98H help him

@Orison only 2 solutions. Running scoop turn and LA LA LA LA CROQUETA
  • Idek
    10238 posts Has That Special Something
    Think I used him for about 50 games last year before I put him in an sbc, nearly at 300 games with him this year and think he's great, no idea what's changed for me

He either seems to just work for people or doesn't
  • Rucci
    1453 posts Play-Off Hero
    dunno m8 finished him this week too. my r9 30 goals in 11 rival D1 games. Monster for me .
    Just give him stay forward and basic chemstyle
  • M98H
    Rucci wrote: »
    dunno m8 finished him this week too. my r9 30 goals in 11 rival D1 games. Monster for me .
    Just give him stay forward and basic chemstyle

Finding Marksman to be the best personally.
    But yea he’s near enough 2 goals a game on 2500 points this week
  • EddieFicio
    21748 posts Club Captain
    Hes actually not bad but cr7 is so much better it hurts :joy: using them both at st rn
  • RebelRob
    5211 posts Big Money Move
    He was **** last year too...didn’t get in behind at all...**** work rates .... I used 92 futties Lozano and Ronaldo was no where near as good

😂 imagine thinking that 😐

It looks to me like those clips you posted are just fifa all over tbh. Nothing to with r9, you would either score or miss with him or nif rashford depending on the rng at the time.

I’ve found that this year shooting after la croqueta and heel 2 heel is op, and people like r9, cruyff etc can shoot so quickly after its hard to read, and volleys are also ridiculously op, so people who have high volleys can bang them in a lot more easily. It’s not pretty, but aim 45 degrees away from goal when head on, be about in line with either post or just a bit wider (you can do it centrally as well I guess) and do the el tornado, time the volley (although not imperative) and if it doesn’t get blocked it’s usually a goal or a corner.

Normally aiming far post works like a treat, but if you’re more central you can go near post also.

But the things he was so good for me last year was finesse shots and volleys before they were cool 😎 rainbow flick volleys are pretty decent and A LOT of people will rq if you do them with one of them.

The main thing though is to persevere with him and get used to him. When he starts firing and working well, he’s so ruthless and efficient.
  • RebelRob
    Also, use engine on him imo.
  • Finesse_4days
    7168 posts Big Money Move
    Hes actually not bad but cr7 is so much better it hurts :joy: using them both at st rn

I found normal CR7 loads better, Toty CR7 probably makes him look like a non rare Bronze.
  • Finesse_4days
    7168 posts Big Money Move
    RebelRob wrote: »

It looks to me like those clips you posted are just fifa all over tbh. Nothing to with r9, you would either score or miss with him or nif rashford depending on the rng at the time.

I’ve found that this year shooting after la croqueta and heel 2 heel is op, and people like r9, cruyff etc can shoot so quickly after its hard to read, and volleys are also ridiculously op, so people who have high volleys can bang them in a lot more easily. It’s not pretty, but aim 45 degrees away from goal when head on, be about in line with either post or just a bit wider (you can do it centrally as well I guess) and do the el tornado, time the volley (although not imperative) and if it doesn’t get blocked it’s usually a goal or a corner.

Normally aiming far post works like a treat, but if you’re more central you can go near post also.

But the things he was so good for me last year was finesse shots and volleys before they were cool 😎 rainbow flick volleys are pretty decent and A LOT of people will rq if you do them with one of them.

The main thing though is to persevere with him and get used to him. When he starts firing and working well, he’s so ruthless and efficient.
    he probably is good in the right hands, but the fact you have to tailor your game to use him and abuse the game mechanics to get goals out of him tells me he is not one of the very best strikers on the game, someone like Prime Eusebio or Toty Mbappe are effortless to use where as R9 feels like an effort to play with.
  • M98H
    edited June 5
    RebelRob wrote: »

he probably is good in the right hands, but the fact you have to tailor your game to use him and abuse the game mechanics to get goals out of him tells me he is not one of the very best strikers on the game, someone like Prime Eusebio or Toty Mbappe are effortless to use where as R9 feels like an effort to play with.

All comes down to playstyle. He’s no effort for me to use at all. Even less than prime Eusebio in all honesty.
    Finishes absolutely everything (unless his defence AI makes a block)
  • VICTAAAA
    10776 posts Has That Special Something
    Last year I played him in a 2 ST formation, either linking with WC Ron or TOTS Suarez. I know it was last year but I did sort of budge you into the SBC; I regret not emphasizing I didn’t ever use him as a solo Striker.
  • xciljw
    5016 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 5
    When even Boras says it..

My personal experience last year: didn't really get along with him, except in the esports version. By the end of the year he was on the bench, so I am pretty sure I would regret it. On the other hand, I would regret not giving him a chance. Difficult situation. :#
  • Kamilflage
    4864 posts National Call-Up
    What formation?
    I only like him in a 2 striker
  • Cadey 5
    edited June 5
    Kamilflage wrote: »
    What formation?

4231 I might have to learn 4-1-2-1-2(2) or 4312 though getting Dinho tomorrow so maybe got

Pele
    R9 Dinho

@M98H had Marksman on mine will try engine
    @xciljw was one of those no win situations I guess I knew PEA was great but wanted to try R9 and if I did't this year i would still want to know what he was like :D annoyingly I used his loan for 10 games and he came in clutch in my important WL games when I used
    him
  • P
    7588 posts League Winner
    He's not great as a lone striker imo. Doesn't move enough with his workrates. I'd try 442 or 4222.
  • VICTAAAA
    10776 posts Has That Special Something
    xciljw wrote: »
    When even Boras says it..

My personal experience last year: didn't really get along with him, except in the esports version. By the end of the year he was on the bench, so I am pretty sure I would regret it. On the other hand, I would regret not giving him a chance. Difficult situation. :#

Stop speaking riddles x, it’s both annoying and annoying. :smile:
  • RebelRob
    @Finesse_4days tbh I wasn’t saying you have to do that to get the best out of him, I was more saying that with the meta tactics that he is ridiculously good. I played my normal game (and I’m not really THAT good going by wl finishes) and he was that same as last year for me: takes a little while to get going, doesn’t feel like 97 pace (although he is still rapid) but once on form he’s almost unstoppable.

Also, for me he was better than toty Mbappe and prime Eusebio.

Just checked my team last year and it was in a 2 striker formation, however this year was in 4231-2 (the wide one) ad he was just as good.

If you’re interested Cadey, have a look at possibly the best hat trick I’ve ever scored on ut. Yes it was a friendly, but it was a game for bragging rights so didn’t take any mercy against my mate, and he was a sweat bag as well so I had to teach him a lesson 😈

https://xboxclips.com/rebelrobot123/190d4a83-639f-48a0-95c2-ffd85ed01b2e
  • CR7BRUH
    3874 posts National Call-Up
    Is R9 good as a lcam rcam or ccam in 4231?

I'm playing him up top 4231 and I'm struggling too tbh
  • ha032742
    35201 posts Moderator
    Get the PIM...feels better to me as I think the extra stamina helps. Found that as the prime’s stamina drained, he was next to useless.
  • Cadey 5
    ha032742 wrote: »
    Get the PIM...feels better to me as I think the extra stamina helps. Found that as the prime’s stamina drained, he was next to useless.

Fancy lending me 14 million then :D

You say that like everyone should be able to pick him up!
  • Campino
    27120 posts Player of the Year
    Marksman chemstyle, left striker

I play him in a 2 up top, absolute warrior for me
  • Kamilflage
    4864 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 5
    Cadey 5 wrote: »
    Kamilflage wrote: »
    What formation?

4231 I might have to learn 4-1-2-1-2(2) or 4312 though getting Dinho tomorrow so maybe got

Pele
    R9 Dinho

@M98H had Marksman on mine will try engine
    @xciljw was one of those no win situations I guess I knew PEA was great but wanted to try R9 and if I did't this year i would still want to know what he was like :D annoyingly I used his loan for 10 games and he came in clutch in my important WL games when I used
    him

Honestly for me he ONLY works in a 41212 or something very equivalent. I find that he needs the CAM behind him and a quick partner.
    I play Eusebio and R9 up top with Cruyff behind them and I score like crazy with all 3, probably the most with R9 although Eusebio is making quite run as of late
  • weims
    2031 posts Fans' Favourite
    Was exceptional for me paired with Eusebio in 442 but less good the weekend past alone in 4231. So maybe it is after all having a foil around him to create space for him to get the shot off... he’s not great in getting in behind or making his own space but for me his shooting tops even Eusebio’s