Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Retro_G
    27411 posts Player of the Year
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I still believe Martial and Rashford can be our Salah and Mane in Ole’s system if we can get the rest of the team right. That’s maybe why I’m not as worried about the attack.

Martial, Mane are just as clinical as each other, it's just that we don't create enough chances for Martial. Rashford on the other hand isn't clinical at all, he wastes a lot of chances, he would be more effective on the wing. Rashford isn't clinical enough to be leading the line the next season, if Ole sticks with Rashford at striker he could be out of a job by Christmas.

I think Martial is more comparable to Salah, and Rashford to Mane overall. But Martial currently is not as good as either on his attitude alone. It’s such a massive characteristic that effects his overall play. Rashford and Mane are probably closer to each other as far as clinical (Martial better than both). Both can go from scoring great goals to shanking easy goals.

I agree with you overall I’m struggling to see Rashford being the leading man without a big improvement in his finishing. Let alone that he plays the position like a winger.

Going on last season's numbers, Mane was more clinical than Martial, Salah. Go check the stats, he is the one who carried Liverpool through their tough period, when Salah was struggling to find the net. Salah has a bunch from the peno spot. I believe Mane scored more goals from open play than any other pool attacker.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    30902 posts National Team Captain
    I still believe Martial and Rashford can be our Salah and Mane in Ole’s system if we can get the rest of the team right. That’s maybe why I’m not as worried about the attack.

Martial, Mane are just as clinical as each other, it's just that we don't create enough chances for Martial. Rashford on the other hand isn't clinical at all, he wastes a lot of chances, he would be more effective on the wing. Rashford isn't clinical enough to be leading the line the next season, if Ole sticks with Rashford at striker he could be out of a job by Christmas.

I think Martial is more comparable to Salah, and Rashford to Mane overall. But Martial currently is not as good as either on his attitude alone. It’s such a massive characteristic that effects his overall play. Rashford and Mane are probably closer to each other as far as clinical (Martial better than both). Both can go from scoring great goals to shanking easy goals.

I agree with you overall I’m struggling to see Rashford being the leading man without a big improvement in his finishing. Let alone that he plays the position like a winger.

Going on last season's numbers, Mane was more clinical than Martial, Salah. Go check the stats, he is the one who carried Liverpool through their tough period, when Salah was struggling to find the net. Salah has a bunch from the peno spot. I believe Mane scored more goals from open play than any other pool attacker.

Martial and Mane have the same conv rate for the PL. Mane was better in UCL, and also played twice as many games. But ultimately it’s the chances missed that I’m making the comparison. Mane and Rashford both have 7 in PL, while Martial has just 3. Mane and Rashford have both missed several sitters where they will smash it wide/over going for all power, where as Martial will at the very least make the GK work for it more often than not.

Not denying Mane had a helluva a season, of course he did. I just think Mane is more comparable to Rashford in style and ability than Martial.

Kind of a useless argument at the end of the day. Just an opinion
  • Ahmer50x
    14851 posts Has That Special Something

If you haven't seen this, watch it.

General discussion of the state of the club. Last season, Ole, summer signings, post-SAF malaise, how to rebuild all discussed between Howson and the BBC's excellent Simon Stone (best United journo).
  • Retro_G
    27411 posts Player of the Year

If you haven't seen this, watch it.

General discussion of the state of the club. Last season, Ole, summer signings, post-SAF malaise, how to rebuild all discussed between Howson and the BBC's excellent Simon Stone (best United journo).

Yeah seen it this morning. Howson has the best United fan channel on YouTube.
  • Low Ki
    11587 posts Has That Special Something
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited June 5
    Low Ki wrote: »

I saw that earlier today...but find it hard to believe.

but hypothetically if we just signed him and Toby, and no one else... I'd be absolutely over the moon.

And just to clarify, there's absolutely zero chance we sign him.
  • Low Ki
    Yeah I'm worried it's to start a bidding war before he inevitably joins Zidane.
  • Mike
    9691 posts League Winner
    :lol: Why on earth would Mbappe join you?
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Mike wrote: »

like i said... there's absolutely zero chance we sign him.
  • Low Ki
    Mike wrote: »

Why did Robinho join you?
  • Ahmer50x

Think this just about confirms Real won't be in for Pogba

It's Juve or bust
  • Apollo
    11778 posts Has That Special Something

It's Juve or bust

Most of us dont want him to leave ;) Very happy if he stays
  • Tornado31619
    15268 posts World Class

It's Juve or bust

Militao
    Jovic
    Hazard
    Mbappe
    Eriksen

No one gives a **** about FFP :lol:
  • Apollo

It's Juve or bust

Militao
    Jovic
    Hazard
    Mbappe
    Eriksen

They will surely not sign Hazard, Eriksen and Mbappe? Would be ludicrous money on top of what they've already spent.
  • Sellish
    8367 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

It's Juve or bust

If he wants to stay sure.
    If he just waits out so he can leave next season then it's our loss.
  • Kman
    2610 posts Fans' Favourite
    Christ try get Eriksen I’d be happy to see Pogba go.
  • Apollo
    edited June 5
    Sellish wrote: »

It's Juve or bust

If he wants to stay sure.
    If he just waits out so he can leave next season then it's our loss.

Hopefully he will want to stay. Also he can't exactly get upset with the club for not selling him if no club has anywhere near the funds available to afford him. (I don't believe the reports that he wants to leave though) But his contract doesn't run out in 2020, so we'd still get a pretty good fee and we will hopefully be in a lot stronger position to cope with his departure if he went next year instead. Hopefully he's content to stay long term though if we make good moves in the market this window.
  • Ahmer50x

It's Juve or bust

Militao
    Jovic
    Hazard
    Mbappe
    Eriksen

Obsessing about the fake news that Mbappe is moving and this entire post really is very on brand for you.
  • Ahmer50x

A lot of chatter about this in Portugal lately.

Can definitely see it happening. He's a very Solskjaer player as well at either 8 or 10.
  • Apollo
    edited June 5

Can definitely see it happening. He's a very Solskjaer player as well at either 8 or 10.

Lots of ifs here (just a hypothetical before some rival fan starts chatting **** saying it won't happen), but if Pogba stays and he signed how do you think this midfield would do?
    Rice/Any DM
    Fernandes - Pogba

Do you think the balance would be there or would it be too attacking and leave Rice/the DM and defence exposed?
  • Sellish
    8367 posts League Winner
    Could se us go with

Fred
    Fernandes - Pogba
  • Apollo
    Sellish wrote: »
    Could se us go with

Fred
    Fernandes - Pogba

Yeah Fred has played DM for us recently. Have you seen enough of Fernandes to have an opinion on if the balance would be there in midfield? I haven't.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    12632 posts Has That Special Something
    Watched a few YouTube videos of that Fernandes..... all from this season, the lad has it all in his locker....

Fantastic ability, would work well as a box to box midfielder. Can do basically everything. Was really impressed
  • Ahmer50x

Lots of ifs here (just a hypothetical before some rival fan starts chatting **** saying it won't happen), but if Pogba stays and he signed how do you think this midfield would do?
    Rice/Any DM
    Fernandes - Pogba

Do you think the balance would be there or would it be too attacking and leave Rice/the DM and defence exposed?

Essentially, you should think of Bruno Fernandes as something between a pure 8 and a pure 10. More attacking than your prototypical 8 but more defensively competent than your usual 10. Depending on how you deploy him, it can affect the remainder of your midfield.

It'd work as long as the DM was not static (*cough* Matic *cough*). Fernandes can do his job on either side of the ball but the problem with him at 8 is that he will make a lot more forward runs than Herrera. This is a good thing in isolation but it does mean the CDM will likely be exposed to more fast breaks so they have to be able to run. If Fred settles or we sign Rice/Ndidi/Doucoure, it should work fine.

He could also work as a 10 (if Pogba goes) and then you could have a slightly more adventurous player at 8 than you could otherwise because you'd have the opposite issue of Fernandes offering more defensive support than your typical 10.
  • Apollo

Rice/Any DM
    Fernandes - Pogba

Essentially, you should think of Bruno Fernandes as something between a pure 8 and a pure 10. More attacking than your prototypical 8 but more defensively competent than your usual 10. Depending on how you deploy him, it can affect the remainder of your midfield.

It'd work as long as the DM was not static (*cough* Matic *cough*). Fernandes can do his job on either side of the ball but the problem with him at 8 is that he will make a lot more forward runs than Herrera. This is a good thing in isolation but it does mean the CDM will likely be exposed to more fast breaks so they have to be able to run. If Fred settles or we sign Rice/Ndidi/Doucoure, it should work fine.

He could also work as a 10 (if Pogba goes) and then you could have a slightly more adventurous player at 8 than you could otherwise because you'd have the opposite issue of Fernandes offering more defensive support than your typical 10.

Thanks for the breakdown. Well we wanted a DM as well as a Herrera replacement anyway, but I guess if we signed Fernandes to play alongside Pogba it'd be even more important to get a proper DM to complete the midfield to compensate.

If we don't sign a DM though, I'd much rather stick with Fred playing there than Matic. Matic's legs have gone. Fred is definitely the better option there now.
  • Wyojasond
    10185 posts Has That Special Something
    Wonder if the Bruno news means that Rabiot declined your offer? I know we’ve been linked with both lately as well and I’d MUCH prefer Bruno.

Wonder what happened with him and City, that seemed like a done deal not long ago and now Bruno is coming out talking how he’d much rather play in Klopps system over Guardiola. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully with Madrid starting to make some serious moves the transfer window will properly take off and we can be done with all the trash rumors 😂
  • Low Ki
    Rabiots best position was defensive mid, he got regular game time replacing Motta and shined there for PSG. He can play box to box as well though.

If we get Bruno, Rabiot is the perfect player to balance our midfield.
  • Ahmer50x
    Wonder if the Bruno news means that Rabiot declined your offer? I know we’ve been linked with both lately as well and I’d MUCH prefer Bruno.

Wonder what happened with him and City, that seemed like a done deal not long ago and now Bruno is coming out talking how he’d much rather play in Klopps system over Guardiola. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully with Madrid starting to make some serious moves the transfer window will properly take off and we can be done with all the trash rumors 😂

We’ve been linked with like 10 midfielders continuously and we’re supposedly going for 2 so hard to say what’s happening there. Haven’t seen any super credible source suggest United have made an offer to Rabiot though I have seen whispers of it from lesser sources.

Think everyone on here basically prefers Bruno too.

I took the fact that he likes Klopp’s style more than Pep’s as a positive because Ole wants to play more like Liverpool than City anyways.

Rumor in Portugal is City won’t match Sporting’s valuation but we will.
  • Ahmer50x
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Rabiots best position was defensive mid, he got regular game time replacing Motta and shined there for PSG. He can play box to box as well though.

If we get Bruno, Rabiot is the perfect player to balance our midfield.

Disagree

Rabiot is more of a hybrid 6 and 8. He’s also said he sees himself as more of an 8 or 10 than a 6.

Rabiot/Bruno/Pogba may just be too attacking IMO

If Pogba left though, Rabiot would be fine alongside Bruno and another
  • Tornado31619
    15268 posts World Class

It's Juve or bust

Militao
    Jovic
    Hazard
    Mbappe
    Eriksen

They will surely not sign Hazard, Eriksen and Mbappe? Would be ludicrous money on top of what they've already spent.

Exactly, but they all want Real. Something has to give.