The Red Devils 19/20 - The Rebuild

Comments

• LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Exiting the Carabao Cup is not a bad thing for a club like United. That is probably the fourth most important competition at this time.

Rebic is a top player and would be a big upgrade over Martial in my opinion. Would be a good move for Ole Gunnar.

Typical Spurs. Not spending but hoping for improvements. That might change this summer but I'll believe it when I s
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not the end of the world to lose in the Carabao cup. After such investment in the team I would have liked to see the team a little closer to city in the title race but there is time yet and I suppose the team is still gelling together
  • DB1512
    293 posts Sunday League Hero
    Don't think Rebic is good enough to join United, despite the fact he can play on different positions.
  • ElMarcos
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Interesting to see whether you will pick up Rebic and whether or not he can be a true assest for United if so!
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Can't have Manchester United losing to Arsenal, can we? :p How important is the Carabao Cup to a team like Manchester United, anyway. Although that was a chance for Martial to show Ole he belongs in the regular XI, but I guess not. Au revoir Martial.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Exiting the Carabao Cup is not a bad thing for a club like United. That is probably the fourth most important competition at this time.
    Rebic is a top player and would be a big upgrade over Martial in my opinion. Would be a good move for Ole Gunnar.
    Typical Spurs. Not spending but hoping for improvements. That might change this summer but I'll believe it when I s
    Agree with it being the 4th most important cup right now, not too sad I'm out of it. Not sure if he'd be a real upgrade on Martial but the way Martial has been playing then yes but we have to see how Rebic does. He's a hard worker and more flexible in his position than Martial, it's a good deal if it goes through I think.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Not the end of the world to lose in the Carabao cup. After such investment in the team I would have liked to see the team a little closer to city in the title race but there is time yet and I suppose the team is still gelling together
    Yeah I see what you are saying, City are on course to be getting around 95-100 points once again for a 3rd season in a row, we are on course for around 80-85 points which is still a good season but we need to be getting closer to City.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Don't think Rebic is good enough to join United, despite the fact he can play on different positions.
    I see where you are coming from, Rebic is expected to play back up due to the emergence of Rashford, Immobile and Sancho are ahead of him too, Rebic hopefully is someone that can come on and affect a game from the bench if the deal goes through.
    ElMarcos wrote: »
    Interesting to see whether you will pick up Rebic and whether or not he can be a true assest for United if so!
    He's top of our list right now, January window is a weird one, we cannot go out and buy the massive players, Rebic is someone available and is flexible in his position as a forward.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Can't have Manchester United losing to Arsenal, can we? :p How important is the Carabao Cup to a team like Manchester United, anyway. Although that was a chance for Martial to show Ole he belongs in the regular XI, but I guess not. Au revoir Martial.
    No not when I'm Man Utd :D It's not really important but it's the first real trophy of the season and we were like 3 games off winning it with the only real threat being Arsenal so it feels like a missed opportunity but we are not too down by it.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    kkuLWlV.png
    sdKI0BM.png
    J6lCmNC.png

There was a lot on the line for AZ with Rosenborg needing a win to have a chance of progressing to the next round and AZ needed to avoid defeat to secure this spot however they couldn't do that with the Man Utd youngsters running the show scoring 4 in Holland, Ole fielded a weakened team than usual with Laird playing right-back and O'Connor at left-back. Rosenborg won their game and finished 2nd in the group.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    tj8ObeG.png
    Q8fczzC.png

Manchester United will face Swiss side Young Boys who dropped out of the UCL in 3rd place, it will be a tricky fixture for Ole however many will still want him to trust his young players that have been performing against this kind of opposition.

Tottenham, Lyon, Genk, RB Leipzig, Roma, Frankfurt, Dynamo Kyiv, Young Boys were the eight teams knocked down to Europa League after finishing 3rd in their respective groups in the Champions League.

UCL Round of 16 fixtures are as follows; Napoli v Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk v Dortmund, PSV v Lille, Manchester City v PSG, Liverpool v Barcelona, Inter v Real Madrid, Valencia v Juventus, Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    UqzNlzH.png
    pViiLuN.png

Man Utd left it late to beat a resilient Southampton, Martial came off the bench to assist both goals as rumours continue to swirl of his exit with reports suggesting Atletico Madrid are ahead of Bayern Munich and PSG in the race to sign him. Ole refused to comment on the transfer rumours saying, "We will see what happens, we are not far off January now and we will be busy".
  • DB1512
    Nice brace of Immobile, good for my position in the pick a player competition. Young Boys isn't the hardest opponent you could draw but I remember they had a lot trouble facing them in the UCL this year.

About Rebic, I understand the role you want to give him but maybe a player a bit older will fit that role better. I also had a Manchester United career earlier this year and I bought Arnautovic for that role.
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Decent Europa league draw. Not the easiest team but one United should beat. 4 wins in the last 5 league games and picked up points on City this week. Still time for a comeback..
  • ElMarcos
    You keep getting results and the EL draw looks Pretty manageble
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    The draw in the Europa League should be pretty straight forward I think that is a trophy you should really be looking to win with the league seemingly not possible
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice job by the youngsters to secure the group stage as the top seed. Agree that it's a tricky decision for Ole on whether to go older against Young Boys (irony, huh?), but winning Europa League has to be the priority. Immobile is anything but; the dude is on a roll and worth every penny.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    Nice brace of Immobile, good for my position in the pick a player competition. Young Boys isn't the hardest opponent you could draw but I remember they had a lot trouble facing them in the UCL this year.
    About Rebic, I understand the role you want to give him but maybe a player a bit older will fit that role better. I also had a Manchester United career earlier this year and I bought Arnautovic for that role.
    Immobile has been brilliant so great choice there, I'll keep that in mind when I play them, I won't take them lightly, Arnautovic is someone I didn't think about, Rebic transfer isn't done yet though we will see who comes in
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Decent Europa league draw. Not the easiest team but one United should beat. 4 wins in the last 5 league games and picked up points on City this week. Still time for a comeback..
    City look like they may be going through a bad patch with all the games coming thick and fast, we must act on this!
    You keep getting results and the EL draw looks Pretty manageble
    Yeah it's going quite well right now, we must be one of the favourites in the EL although there are some good teams to watch out for still.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    The draw in the Europa League should be pretty straight forward I think that is a trophy you should really be looking to win with the league seemingly not possible
    Yeah I'll take is very serious once we make the final 8 I think, depends on the opposition but I want to win it for sure, if the league is out of our hands then even more so.
    Nice job by the youngsters to secure the group stage as the top seed. Agree that it's a tricky decision for Ole on whether to go older against Young Boys (irony, huh?), but winning Europa League has to be the priority. Immobile is anything but; the dude is on a roll and worth every penny.
    See what you did there haha, I'll probably field a slightly experienced team than usual in EL I think, maybe add in 2 main players just to secure the tie hopefully, Immobile for £85m looks great for us right now.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    vSuR9SI.png
    Nl9yEj3.png

Manchester City are 7 points clear by Christmas despite not winning in their last 3 fixtures, drawing 2 and losing to Watford in their last game, Manchester United do have a game in hand however but the late goal conceded against Villa delays their title chase. Newcastle are on an incredible run this month with 5 wins out of 5 and push up from 14th to the top 6 within weeks while Henry has has an incredible unbeaten start at Palace with 3 draws, 2 wins including an away draw against league leaders Man City.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    qgBhzal.png
    AQFFRvu.png

Massively disappointing game for Ole's men, Sheffield United turned up and gave United a brilliant game, unfortunately the United players didn't do a good enough job at Old Trafford and once again drop points, wasting their chance to catch up to City while they go through their bad spell.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    RNy6xJD.png
    zhMM5sD.png

Ole is said to be furious with his teams display against Bournemouth and over the last 3 games, "We have really dropped off towards the end of the month, I'm not happy with a single player right now to be honest with you, changes will be made in the coming weeks with the transfer window open, we had a chance to close the gap on City and failed to, new year, fresh approach." Ole was also questioned on the Anthony Martial transfer saga, "Yes he will be leaving in the next few days, a deal is already in place and confirmation on that is due in the next 48 hours, we will be active".
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    FSlb5h2.png
    gxuCve8.png
  • ElMarcos
    Though way to end december. Hopefully your team will pick-up some wins in the beginning of January. Wins are vital for confidence and better performances.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Things went from bad to worse with that loss to Sheffield. Interested to see what and where changes are made in the window. Title is probably a lost cause, unless City run into a bad spell of their own. FA Cup match probably couldn't have come at a worse time, but maybe it's a chance to turn things around and give hope in the title chase.
  • DB1512
    A bad run of results but luckily the transfer window is already there. I wonder who Ole is bringing in, Martial leaving is also a tough loss.
  • Stlducks
    1395 posts Professional
    The newly promoted sides taking it too United, did not see that coming the way the team was playing.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    Though way to end december. Hopefully your team will pick-up some wins in the beginning of January. Wins are vital for confidence and better performances.
    Yep we need to start January well or we could drop well out of a possible title race and turn it into a top 4 scrap
    Things went from bad to worse with that loss to Sheffield. Interested to see what and where changes are made in the window. Title is probably a lost cause, unless City run into a bad spell of their own. FA Cup match probably couldn't have come at a worse time, but maybe it's a chance to turn things around and give hope in the title chase.
    Heopfully we can use the FA Cup as a turning point and push us on a good run, maybe it's come at a good time!
    A bad run of results but luckily the transfer window is already there. I wonder who Ole is bringing in, Martial leaving is also a tough loss.
    Martial leaving is a big one but the money will be used well, all will be revealed soon!
    Stlducks wrote: »
    The newly promoted sides taking it too United, did not see that coming the way the team was playing.
    Yep me neither, very poor from us, a change of formation is needed now I think since we became a bit stale and unstable at the back
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    edited June 3
    ofzmreS.png

It's been an ongoing early transfer saga right through December and it concludes with Bayern Munich hijacking the deal at the very last minute to bring Anthony Martial to the Bundesliga. Atletico Madrid looked the favourites almost the whole way through but it seems the French winger had a change of mind and the final fee is said to be around £75m with potential add ons.

As far as a direct replacement it seems Man Utd turn to Ante Rebić from Frankfurt, the Croatian forward will cost less than half of the Martial fee with it being agreed at £32.5m, Rebic was always the number one target for Ole it seems with his flexibility to play in any of the front 3 positions and his stats speak from themselves over the past couple of years, let's hope he can settle in quickly.

Another major transfer in the Premier League will see Ben Yedder join Wolves for a total fee of £24.8m, the Sevilla striker lit up La Liga last season and could play a big role in the second half of the season as Wolves chase the top 7 spots.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    edited June 3
    F4DTop5.png
    eRiCUx7.png

After a disappointing end to the year Man Utd look to start 2020 off with a bang and against an in-form Newcastle United it was always going to be a tough game, but Ole's men get through it with a 1-0 victory and Rashford was the man to make the difference. Not only that it was the first Ole starts a competitive game with a completely new formation changing from the usual 4-3-3 to a 4-3-2-1, the wingers playing more of a central forward role rather than out wide.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    7j502N7.png
    DE4j8xE.png

The Emirates FA Cup served up a mouth-watering tie very early in the competition with the best two teams in England going at it. It lived up to expectations too with the 6 goal thriller going back and forth. Sancho scoring against his old club and Rebic coming off the bench to finish off the game. Liverpool were the only other big team to fall out of the competition early with West Ham beating them 2-0.
  • Ashy
    9209 posts League Winner
    vorJylz.png

Man Utd move for Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish and the deal looks to be complete with a fee of £27.5m agreed. Grealish was close to joining Spurs a couple of years ago but the deal did not go through and remained at Villa, he then guided the club promotion back to the top flight but the journey is over now and Jack gets his big move. He's expected to play a bit part role for the remainder of the season however could feature off the bench frequently and a role in the cup competitions.

One surprise transfer will see the ruthless side of Man Utd with Matic exiting the club to West Ham for a £26m fee. Rumours flying around suggest Ole was not happy with his workrate and application in training and on the pitch over the last couple of months and the club will look for a younger, more hungry defensive midfielder in the remaining couple of weeks the window is open.

Pique and Pep have been reunited once again with the experienced Spanish defender joining Manchester City for £50.8m. Pep looks to rejuvenate his squad as they push for their third title in a row and feels defensive stability will be the key to that success.