Why did Wijnaldum get a TOTS and not Pogba?

Comments

• mn0401
    56 posts Park Captain
    Pogba was good but not as consistent like Wijnaldum
  • abhreebhu_45
    777 posts Semi-Pro
    Side effects of thinking that fut is the real football
  • Dalebert
    594 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Surprising how many people in a game about football know absolutely nothing about the game. If you think Paul Pogba deserved to be in team of the season then you really need to educate yourself in the sport.
  • Tristan_Pecan
    412 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dalebert wrote: »
    Surprising how many people in a game about football know absolutely nothing about the game. If you think Paul Pogba deserved to be in team of the season then you really need to educate yourself in the sport.

Yes, this is my favorite argument. The football elitists who have the superior football brain and are well nuanced in the science of football. So please if you have the time, and you've gone through all my comments in this thread, please give me a taste of your superior football knowledge.

Oh and kindly let me know if you think Gini would get a TOTS if he was in the United team being as consistent as he's been.

Also, do you think Gini had a better season than Ruben Neves or was it because one plays for Liverpool?
  • Retro_G
    29085 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 30

Yes, this is my favorite argument. The football elitists who have the superior football brain and are well nuanced in the science of football. So please if you have the time, and you've gone through all my comments in this thread, please give me a taste of your superior football knowledge.

Oh and kindly let me know if you think Gini would get a TOTS if he was in the United team being as consistent as he's been.

Also, do you think Gini had a better season than Ruben Neves or was it because one plays for Liverpool?

Yet the majority of PL professional footballers who all eat, breath, sleep football voted for Pogba in the official PL team of the season.
  • hiya
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero
    votes were cast back then (in pogbas purple patch).
  • Robben
    315 posts Sunday League Hero
    Retro_G wrote: »

Yet the majority of PL professional footballers who all eat, breath, sleep football voted for Pogba in the official PL team of the season.

They also voted Laporte over Alderweireld so we can see it means nothing.

Have we forgotten about TOTY? the likes of Alves, Ramos etc sneaking in yearly while Lahm, Godin etc got overlooked.

Eriksen and Moutinho would easily be ahead of Pogba this season aswell,
  • Ishibum
    12396 posts Has That Special Something
    James Ward-Prowse had more of a shout for getting into tots than Pogba tbh. That said, I'd have had one of the Wolves mids in ahead of Wijnaldum
  • pudgyfudgy
    5490 posts Big Money Move
    I'm not saying that Wijnaldum surely deserves to be in. But Pogba surely DOESN'T deserve to be in.
  • oldboiler
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pogba was utter gash this season, if you get a TOTS for most ground covered walking he’d be nailed on.

I was actually surprised to see Wijnaldum as well tbh, he had a good season, but so did Milner and Hendo, but I think Wijnaldum was in the press a lot for the champs league heroics around the time. I’d have like to have seen a few mid table inclusions instead such as Richarlison or Anderson.
  • Dalebert

I've watched every Liverpool game this season, who has been our best midfielder.

I've watched many Man United this season and Pogba was terrible. Admittedly I didn't watch him around the month or so when he was supposedly good (let's remember it's team of the season and not team of the small section of the season).

I'm not saying I have some elite football brain, but I do have one and have actually watched enough games to back up what I say.
  • El_Nino
    3156 posts National Call-Up

I think David Luiz being in a TOTY amongst many others over the years goes to show how little that means.
    As always it’s a popularity contest.
  • Hibee
    12045 posts Has That Special Something

I’m curious but do you actually go to the games? Most times I have seen Man Utd this season Pogba has been poor. Football fans are the most biased on the planet.
  • jhonps3
    1712 posts Fans' Favourite
    At January if jose wouldn’t leave he probably would left the club. So a 92 card is fair enough.
  • El_Nino
    3156 posts National Call-Up
    jhonps3 wrote: »
    At January if jose wouldn’t leave he probably would left the club. So a 92 card is fair enough.

I mean, that’s about as irrelevant as it gets.
  • Paquetesousa
    2079 posts Fans' Favourite
    TheTataGuy wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    The justification is that Wijnaldum had a considerably better season than Pogba, Emphasis on season. Not two month spell.

In the premier league? What stat proves this?

Stat? Have you not seen him play? Maybe stop looking blindly at stats and watch him actually play..

That's the problem these days, with football... All about the stats.. for instance, people comparing Ronaldo stats with Messi stats to figure who's best: just enjoy watching them play while you can and ignore the stats. It Will be a long time before we get to see that level of greatness again. Stats are for mathmaticians, football is for the passionate...
  • Tristan_Pecan
    edited May 31
    pudgyfudgy wrote: »
    I'm not saying that Wijnaldum surely deserves to be in. But Pogba surely DOESN'T deserve to be in.

That's fair

I've watched every Liverpool game this season, who has been our best midfielder.

I've watched many Man United this season and Pogba was terrible. Admittedly I didn't watch him around the month or so when he was supposedly good (let's remember it's team of the season and not team of the small section of the season).

I'm not saying I have some elite football brain, but I do have one and have actually watched enough games to back up what I say.

Oh how convenient. Everytime you seen Pogba, he's been awful. The only times you didnt see him was supposedly that one and only month that people think he was great.

Didnt expect any less from a Liverpool fan mind you.

Also you didnt answer any of the questions I asked.
    Post edited by Tristan_Pecan on
  • Tristan_Pecan
    edited May 31
    Hibee wrote: »

I’m curious but do you actually go to the games? Most times I have seen Man Utd this season Pogba has been poor. Football fans are the most biased on the planet.

Right because of his pricetag, the expectations on him are pretty high and especially from non-United fans who would love to tell United fans what a waste he's been. So the entire weight of United falls on his shoulders.

Put Gini in place of Pogba in that United team and they finish lower than that 6th guaranteed. And u can take away all of Pogba's goals if you'd like.
  • Claret_n_blue_blood
    14578 posts Has That Special Something
    Felipe Anderson would have been above pogba, pogba was just not good enough to make the cut
  • Dalebert
    pudgyfudgy wrote: »

That's fair

Oh how convenient. Everytime you seen Pogba, he's been awful. The only times you didnt see him was supposedly that one and only month that people think he was great.

Didnt expect any less from a Liverpool fan mind you.

Also you didnt answer any of the questions I asked.

How is that convenient? If he was good when I watched him I would say so. It's now my fault that I didn't watch him during his small period of being good?

Your questions:

1. If Gini has the same level of performances playing for United would he deserve to be in TOTS? Absolutely, why would the team matter, performance and contribution towards the team is the only thing that should influence this.

2. Has Gini been better than Ruben Neves? I haven't seen enough of Ruben Neves to make that judgement so unlike some, I won't run my mouth off about something I clearly know little about.
  • Pogba is T*sser of the Season .
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    202 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Stats tell me Jorginho is a beast btw...
  • Dutchcaliber
    2788 posts Fans' Favourite
    Liverpool fan selected the TOTS, pretty obvious when there was more Liverpool players than Man City. You'd swear they won the league, when in reality they bottled a seven point lead.

For a start Pogba scored as many goals as any other midfield player in the Premier League. Half of them have been penalties, admittedly, but in a goal-shy United team he has been the one steeping up to the plate. I don't remember Harry Kane getting so much criticism when he won the golden boot at the world cup from scoring penalties.

He has had more shots on target than Eden Hazard this season and a third as many again as any other midfield player in the league.

He has also delivered more accurate long balls than any other midfield player and is ranked in the top three for goal assists.

The defensive side of Pogba’s game matches up too. He has made more blocks than Fernandinho and 32 clearances on top. By comparison, Eriksen had made seven.

Pogba's numbers would've been better, had our forwards being firing on all cylinders. During the latter stages of the season, when our form dipped and he was still creating great chances.

Pogba labelled himself the most criticised player in the world last year and hinted at being judged against standards not applied universally, there is truth in that. The bs media agenda against Pogba has even turned some of our own fans. I can guarantee our season would've been a lot worse had Pogba not been in the side.

pogba the most criticised player in the world? for good reason. he is very inconsistent and should stop acting like he is messi or cr7.
  • DIXON THFC
    2476 posts Fans' Favourite
    Because Pogba is an arrogant goon that relies on silly haircuts, silly celebrations, silly penalties, school kids who idolise him and social media to boost his career. He doesn't give a **** about Manchester United and is a luxury player.

Sorry, I just really don't like his attitude :joy: