The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

• MarkFromNorwich
    3124 posts National Call-Up
    Carlos181 wrote: »
    Selling Coutinho would be a mistake for Barca imo.

Where do you play him? Valverde is very likely staying until the end of next season. His best place is the midfield, but who does he move over? Arthur? I’ve never seen Coutinho track back to defend, and he’s a light fella so I can’t imagine him being a good tackler.

Inside left. Valverde staying is just a huge mistake. Barca have completely lost their identity. You don't think Coutinho would press quicker under a manager like Guardiola or Klopp? Someone who can actually inspire players, unlike Ernie.

Fantastic dribbler, ball retention is top class, long range shots sublime, eye for a cutting edge pass. If Valverde is your long term manager then fine, get rid of him and build around what Valverde wants, but if like is expected, he ends up leaving fairly soon, it's worth keeping Coutinho and appointing a manager who can get Coutinho back to what he can be.

The news starting coming out today that Barca will honor Valverde’s contract, and decide his fate at the end of next season (I imagine winning the CL is his requirement). Left a sour taste driving to work this morning.

Ernie is nothing like Klopp. Any player would shine more under Klopp. However, their play styles are different, and doesn’t look like Barca want to move away from Tiki-Taka.

Every trait you mentioned about Coutinho is not there at Barca. He loses the ball too much, he doesn’t fool anyone with his dribbles, and everyone knows when he’s going to attempt a long shot. It could come down to Valverde ruining him, but his confidence is just gone.

I disagre with your assessment of Coutinho at Barca tbh. I haven't seen him as much as you have, but I've seen probably 20-25 games of Barca this season and he's never stood out as playing terribly, he's just ineffectual. To me he is just another casualty of Valverde. Which attacking players look good under Valverde? Dembele was outstanding at Dortmund, he's been up & down (and injured) since he's moved. Suarez hasn't looked great (he might be past it in fairness). If Messi doesn't play, Barcelona look terrible. If Messi has an off game, Barca look terrible.

Coutinho at Barca just feels like a Sanchez at Man Utd sort of situation. Both still extremely talented players, playing under tactically simplistic managers offensively, and while everything they do is still generally tidy, the output isn't there, and any time they do try anything to create through individual brilliance, they get criticised when it doesn't come off.
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Jovic for 60M seems like great business considering the lack of options for a striker.

Which striker will Chelski get now?

Higuain pls
  • Shshj
    12788 posts Has That Special Something
    EddieFicio wrote: »
    Jovic for 60M seems like great business considering the lack of options for a striker.

Higuain pls

Sarri wants to keep him but it looks as though we'll be sending him back, thank god
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain
    Shshj wrote: »

Higuain pls

Sarri wants to keep him but it looks as though we'll be sending him back, thank god

But why are you like this, if you keep Higuain we will sell you alex sandro deal?
  • Pauldejong6
    7643 posts League Winner
    maymanpele wrote: »
    Nations League thing is coming home to the land of total football:

Looks like a squad worthy of winning the Nations League!

We should when the 2nd to best team is England.

Are we actually cheering for the same side? My heart jumps with joy. Dare I say..."Hup Holland"?

I guess so, altho u wont hear me cry when we lose. Im not that patriotic, never been, never will be.

If Spain was in I would probably cheer for them

You don't have to cry if we lose, you just dont have to wear pj's for a week of the team who possible beats us. There is something in between ;)
  • hoban95
    68608 posts Icon
    Shshj wrote: »

Higuain pls

But why are you like this, if you keep Higuain we will sell you alex sandro deal?

You sold as that dream 2 years ago.
  • Crossland
    9206 posts League Winner
    8.7m a year for Jovic at Madrid WOW !
  • Tornado31619
    32763 posts National Team Captain

Where do you play him? Valverde is very likely staying until the end of next season. His best place is the midfield, but who does he move over? Arthur? I’ve never seen Coutinho track back to defend, and he’s a light fella so I can’t imagine him being a good tackler.

Inside left. Valverde staying is just a huge mistake. Barca have completely lost their identity. You don't think Coutinho would press quicker under a manager like Guardiola or Klopp? Someone who can actually inspire players, unlike Ernie.

Fantastic dribbler, ball retention is top class, long range shots sublime, eye for a cutting edge pass. If Valverde is your long term manager then fine, get rid of him and build around what Valverde wants, but if like is expected, he ends up leaving fairly soon, it's worth keeping Coutinho and appointing a manager who can get Coutinho back to what he can be.

The news starting coming out today that Barca will honor Valverde’s contract, and decide his fate at the end of next season (I imagine winning the CL is his requirement). Left a sour taste driving to work this morning.

Ernie is nothing like Klopp. Any player would shine more under Klopp. However, their play styles are different, and doesn’t look like Barca want to move away from Tiki-Taka.

Every trait you mentioned about Coutinho is not there at Barca. He loses the ball too much, he doesn’t fool anyone with his dribbles, and everyone knows when he’s going to attempt a long shot. It could come down to Valverde ruining him, but his confidence is just gone.

I disagre with your assessment of Coutinho at Barca tbh. I haven't seen him as much as you have, but I've seen probably 20-25 games of Barca this season and he's never stood out as playing terribly, he's just ineffectual. To me he is just another casualty of Valverde. Which attacking players look good under Valverde? Dembele was outstanding at Dortmund, he's been up & down (and injured) since he's moved. Suarez hasn't looked great (he might be past it in fairness). If Messi doesn't play, Barcelona look terrible. If Messi has an off game, Barca look terrible.

Coutinho at Barca just feels like a Sanchez at Man Utd sort of situation. Both still extremely talented players, playing under tactically simplistic managers offensively, and while everything they do is still generally tidy, the output isn't there, and any time they do try anything to create through individual brilliance, they get criticised when it doesn't come off.

At least Phil's had his moments for Barca, whereas Alexis just hasn't for us.
  • Azof
    20395 posts Club Captain
    Shaanxz wrote: »

Hes no Will Grigg
  • MarkFromNorwich

Last few games I've seen of Alexis, his touch has still been there, he's not constantly misplacing passes, he retains the ball well under pressure still. He's just not scoring or creating goals, but none of the team are. I'd say it's a team issue.

If he was missing boat loads of chances, constantly overrunning the ball (like Rashford), constantly taking donkey touches (like Lukaku) then I'd say he's a write off, but he went from being Arsenal's POTY to being completely ineffectual, and it's apparently because he lost a yard of pace coincidentally at the same time as he signed for United.
  • Crossland
    9206 posts League Winner
    edited May 2019

Last few games I've seen of Alexis, his touch has still been there, he's not constantly misplacing passes, he retains the ball well under pressure still. He's just not scoring or creating goals, but none of the team are. I'd say it's a team issue.

If he was missing boat loads of chances, constantly overrunning the ball (like Rashford), constantly taking donkey touches (like Lukaku) then I'd say he's a write off, but he went from being Arsenal's POTY to being completely ineffectual, and it's apparently because he lost a yard of pace coincidentally at the same time as he signed for United.

If he had gone to City as he should have we would be talking about a completely different Alexis right now 100%,playing in a winning team under Pep's tactics although wasn't it Pep that didn't play him at Barca ?
  • SupaNoodle1990
    32547 posts National Team Captain
    When your achievement is to get the same amount of titles as juve. :trollface:

Least they can celebrate an achievement instead of being stuck in mid table championship for the rest of eternity.

Sucks to be hull then :trollface:

Brentford...Hull...what's the difference? Both places are dumps. :trollface:

Could be worse and be from Chelsea. Full of rich kids who have a quiff and wear loafers with no socks and trousers too short :trollface:

HA JOKES ON YOU I'M FROM ESSEX LAD

Allow me man....

Ohhhhhhhh. Best thing to come out of there is Gemma Collins mert :trollface:

He sounds like her aswell.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    Crossland wrote: »

If he had gone to City as he should have we would be talking about a completely different Alexis right now 100%,playing in a winning team under Pep's tactics although wasn't it Pep that didn't play him at Barca ?

Nah, he only played under Pep for a year, and according to wikipedia, had a lot of little injuries during that season.
  • CervezaNL
    1276 posts Professional

Just got home. It was pretty epic
  • Carlos181
    5147 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2019

City I assume?

Edit. Just saw “City Xtra.” Durrr
  • MaddMike3711
    12945 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2019
    100% honest I say Higuain goes back to Juve, and we just start Tammy with Michy on the bench. They can stand around and score 4 goals a season too. 🤷‍♂️
  • CeeQue
    14932 posts Has That Special Something

Not surprised given the year they had.
  • Pauldejong6
    7643 posts League Winner
    EuroVision on tv. Oh yes.
  • Ashy
    20957 posts Club Captain
    If Zaha signed a contract extension last summer knowing he wouldn't stay for the next 4 years then why didn't he add a clause in for example a UCL club with an offer of 50-60m triggers it.

Don't know what he was thinking
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3306 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    If Zaha signed a contract extension last summer knowing he wouldn't stay for the next 4 years then why didn't he add a clause in for example a UCL club with an offer of 50-60m triggers it.

Maybe he doesn't want to go and the papers are spouting a load of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ for the 5th summer in a row?

Nah can't be that...
  • ccooaattssyy
    18722 posts World Class
    Man City- no mere mortal man can kill me!
  • Ashy
    20957 posts Club Captain
    Ashy wrote: »

Maybe he doesn't want to go and the papers are spouting a load of **** for the 5th summer in a row?

Nah can't be that...

Fair play to the lad if he loves the club enough to remain loyal but Palace won't be finishing 7th anytime soon and a domestic cup win is unlikely so if he's happy playing for a mid-table club then that's fine, he should come out with a statement if so to stop all the rumours.

If he wants to progress as a footballer and potentially win trophies then he should move this summer or at the very latest next summer while he enters his prime years.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Looks like we're going for Walter Kannemann as our CB signing.
  • jenksiee123
    25866 posts Player of the Year
    What a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ relief
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35483 posts World Cup Winner
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Looks like we're going for Walter Kannemann as our CB signing.

Lol. Why? Are you trying to downgrade your backline?