FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Alastair wrote: »
    Just seen this.

Is this really true @subpop? If you have to have screens and netting in front of the fans then Spanish football has gone miles down in my opinion of it. I'd rather stand uncovered in the rain at Blyth Spartans away than watch football through a screen.

Yes, that is real. As far as I know, these nets and screens appear in high risk games. Obviously I can't agree with it. However it is also true that Barcelona faced high fines due to away supporters throwing fireworks and objects from that upper ring of the stadium. A few weeks ago, there were problems with the Lyon ultras causing riots out of the stadium. Police ask for excepcional meassures when the games are labeled as 'high risk games' in order to prevent riots inside the stadium.

I can understand the frustration and I know there's a lot to learn about how England tackled the hooligan problem. I wish there was a better way to prevent problems, because innocent supporters pay the consequences of a few. As far as I know the Man United supporters had a magnificent behaviour, but they had to suffer the same kind of meassures of other visitors. I wouldn't like to feel treated this way.

On the price... well, this is how things are for locals too. In that sense, the Bundesliga is miles away with their cheap prices policy. The Camp Nou generally is full of tourists and hardly get full, except for important games as this one. This is a big problem and I could tell you much more on it and why this happens... but let me tell you something. I am willing to be a Barcelona associate, but the club decided to close the doors to new members. It is a closed club right now... the current affiliates (remember Barcelona is 'owned" by these affiliates, which are around 150,000 people) decided that the club could not satisfy their needs, so they decided to stop giving more cards. I can understand it... imagine that there are nearly 95,000 ticket holders and other 55,000 people who pay for 'nothing'. Basically, being a Barcelona affiliate is a luxury. Then these ticket holders can sell their tickets to the club, who put these tickets again on sale at a much higher price. It is an inflationist system, even for us. I didn't check the prices for this match, but I am sure the opera of Milan is cheaper. Yes... shameful. But this is how modern football seems to be.

LAboog4 wrote: »
    Wow De Gea

I think I have been saying he is very overrated. FIFA consider him the best goalkeeper around... I don't get it. His blunders in important games are a trend. Last year, he did it against Sevilla. Also in the World Cup. Now again.

His reflexes are fine, but in modern football a goalkeeper requires to use his feet properly and the technical aspect (body positioning, for example... today he didn't put his body behind his arms) has developed a lot in the last 20 years. For me, the best goalkeepers around are Oblak and ter Stegen. But beyond De Gea probably is one of the worst among top clubs.

@Danimal5981 and @subpop.... great night and set of results for you. Hopefully we join you tomorrow 😎😎😎

Good luck, but hopefully not. :D

I have a great respect for Liverpool. I think the way they play is not good for us. We would have problems to impose our style, I am sure of it. But I guess that, to win the Champions League, you must beat top teams, so...

It will be a good clash and I hope we can finally defeat Liverpool... all past experiences I remember weren't positive.
  • Danimal5981
    2307 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ajax v Barça dream final (for me) edging closer.
  • dannyboy
    12831 posts Has That Special Something
    Liverpool will do the double
  • subpop
    Ajax v Barça dream final (for me) edging closer.

There are things that are very special... the link between both clubs definitely is and, as Barça fan, we owe it to the great Johan.

Here's a video of the Camp Nou celebrating De Ligt's goal.

And here's the cover of the year for me. It's a sports online magazine in Spain and today's cover was this picture and one of Johan's quotes: "Go out and enjoy" (supposedly, this is what he said to the Barça players before the European Cup final of 1992).

sgw1UfG.jpg
  • subpop
    Obviously a lot to be played yet. I actually consider Liverpool favourite against Barcelona, for example... and as much as Ajax are surprising the world, I tend to think that Spurs or City are superior too. So for me, it'd be a surprise to see a Barça-Ajax final.

I have to say that it would be a very nice final and the best tribute to Johan... but also a pain. It actually hurts to think in it, as I obviously want Barça to win, but at the same time I admire what Ajax are doing... it would be beautiful to see them winning.

The sad thing is that this Ajax have very short future... we already signed De Jong and the possibility of signing De Ligt is quite high too. I know other players like Ziyech or Tadic are in the lists of other clubs. Personally, as much as I like to have De Jong with us, it's also a pain to dismantle such a beautiful project. I wish we could raise these jewels in La Masia, because the connection I had with my team when all the players, except for a couple were raised at home, was something unique (Valdés, Puyol, Piqué, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro and Messi... plus Abidal, Alves and Villa). Nowadays, some of them still are with us and others joined in, as Jordi Alba or Sergi Roberto, but that was exceptional... and the best Barça I can remember.

Another reality is that this Ajax really honors Johan's name, while this Barcelona isn't that much. Valverde was a player that once was under Cruyff's directions and understands the club. This Barça still keep the essential passing football, ball possession and attacking attitude, but Valverde doesn't have any problem to change the style a bit depending on the circumstances... let's say he's less radical.

BTW, on Cruyff's tribute, even if City as a club doesn't have this link, it's evident that Guardiola may be one of his best prophets, if not the best. And so far, his team is alive... although City was quite disappointing against Spurs last week.

• subpop
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Liverpool will do the double

The Premier League is more than enough for them. Last year it was your perfect chance and the damn Karius gifted the final to the **** Madrid.

Seriously now... for me, they're the favourites for the Champions League. I don't think they have better players than Barcelona, but they definitely have a better manager and they seem a real TEAM to me. My "only" hope (a big hope though) is called Leo Messi aka GOD.
  • WestardLord
    1532 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think Son is like ... the most underrated player in Europe.
  • LAboog4
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Losing Sissoko has really hurt Spurs. KDB is running over midfield right now. Sissoko, Dier and Winks out have left Spurs with Dele and Eriksen trying to defend along side Wanyama. Not a chance that works.

Spurs need to keep scoring because City do not look like stopping.
  • WestardLord
    1532 posts Play-Off Hero
    I cannot believe what I just witnessed

I literally, absolutely cannot believe it.

Amazing Spurs.
  • LAboog4
    Love it or hate it VAR adds drama. I have never witnessed something like that before. I was cheering for Spurs because of my dislike for teams like City and my emotions were all over the place at the end. This is what UCL is all about.

Credit to Poch, no Kane, Sissoko, Dier or Winks yet they found a way. I thought he made a mistake bringing Llorente on when Sissoko came off but it worked.

I'm glad Liverpool dominated like expected so I don't feel like I missed anything not watching that.

Great matchup coming up with Spurs and Ajax plus Liverpool v Barca.

• Wyojasond
    11926 posts Has That Special Something
    What a final four. If Ajax keep there momentum I think they will roll Spurs. Not a knock on Tottenham, Ajax are just that good right now.

Barcelona vs Liverpool is going to be amazing. I think our front line and midfield can cause them a lot of issues but it will be interesting to see Suarez, Messi and Coutinho against our defense. Suarez and Coutinho coming back to Anfield will be a sight to behold as well. Hard to pick a winner honestly. Would have to say Barca is the slight favorites going in.
  • JamieC
    809 posts Semi-Pro
    I want Ajax to win.
  • LAboog4
    What a final four. If Ajax keep there momentum I think they will roll Spurs. Not a knock on Tottenham, Ajax are just that good right now.

Barcelona vs Liverpool is going to be amazing. I think our front line and midfield can cause them a lot of issues but it will be interesting to see Suarez, Messi and Coutinho against our defense. Suarez and Coutinho coming back to Anfield will be a sight to behold as well. Hard to pick a winner honestly. Would have to say Barca is the slight favorites going in.

I can't pick a favorite in either watch really. I keep expecting Spurs and Ajax to lose but they don't. Spurs are scoring more than I would have thought without Kane but Ajax can score a lot too.

LFC and Barca is down to Messi against the LFC defense. If he plays out of his mind like we have seen so many times, LFC can't stop him. But if they can contain him, I think they win.
  • LAboog4
    Respect to Pep for not complaining or crying about calls. Said he still supports VAR and blames City for not finishing as why they lost. Not many managers would take a loss like that as well as he did.
  • dannyboy
    12831 posts Has That Special Something
    The remaining teams are all pretty good imo so I don't care who wins.
  • DB1512
    361 posts Sunday League Hero
    Spurs scored a lot of goals against City despite the absence of Kane but they will miss Son in the first match against Ajax.
  • Wyojasond
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Spurs scored a lot of goals against City despite the absence of Kane but they will miss Son in the first match against Ajax.

Lucas will need to step up big time in that game. I’ve read reports this morning that Kane is pressing hard to make an early comeback but I just don’t see it happening. Ajax has to take full advantage of all the players missing in that first game.
  • subpop
    Respect to Pep for not complaining or crying about calls. Said he still supports VAR and blames City for not finishing as why they lost. Not many managers would take a loss like that as well as he did.

Yes, that's true. I believe that the goal of Llorente is a clear handball... VAR still have lots of issues, because I saw the images they showed to the referee and the image that shows the handball never appeared on screen.

VAR is very positive for certain aspects, as the goal denied to Sterling, which would have changed the game too, but in other moments (handball of Llorente or the clear penalty on Rakitic by Fred) the images shown to the referee are wrong... and I don't get it.

In any case, Pochettino won the game, because he always made the right decisions. However, Pep Guardiola betrayed himself at the first leg, which is where he lost this clash.

I am unsure that Coutinho would be the starter, if Dembélé is fine. I think we're much much better with the French on the pitch. I have to say that we must be very careful in these games, because Liverpool punish the errors, so I hope our team is focused and don't lose stupid balls, something we did against Man United.

For me, it's fundamental to start on advantage, because Liverpool feel comfortable with the counter-attack, but not that much if they have to carry the weight of the game.

Then obviously I put all my faith in Messi... if he's in a superior level, we play with 12 on the pitch.
  • LAboog4
    @subpop here is a good article on ESPN about the VAR. Still not a clear process at all but after reading this I thought the ref was in the right with both calls in the Tottenham game. I do think the penalty was missed for Barcelona though.

Explaining the VAR drama: Why Fernando Llorente's goal stood as Spurs eliminated Man City http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions-league/775/blog/post/3829001/explaining-the-var-drama-why-fernando-llorentes-goal-stood-as-spurs-eliminated-man-city
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
  • Ashy
    9885 posts League Winner
    edited April 21
    8cbd414404ba287e3062512fa8f78b1b.png

I had the deciding match as Newcastle beating Liverpool. If Newcastle need a win to stay up on the penultimate weekend of the season then I can't see them losing at St James' Park.
    Ashy wrote: »
    @Alastair can't believe you think United will win every game from now

Who can you see them losing to? City is the only one I was even slightly unsure of.

:D
  • LAboog4
    Alastair's standings show how crazy these last few months have been. Nobody would have expected Spurs to drop as hard as they did and not many would expect United's great play to come to a halt so quickly.

I expected United to lose a few but not fall apart like this.

Happy Easter everyone! My favorite tweet today "Christian Benteke, the one Christian I wouldn't expect to celebrate today!"
  • Wyojasond
    Arsenal bottling there chance to stake its top 4 claim as well. Been saying all year there really isn’t that big of a gap between the top 2 and the next 4, but man after the last few weeks it’s just been crazy how nobody has grabbed ahold of this.

I still think Arsenal and Spur get it at the end of the day, but it’s a tossup. Curious to see if United show up at all against City.....
  • Ashy
    9885 posts League Winner
    edited April 21
    Whoever wins out of Chelsea and Man Utd when they play each other will have the best chance to finish 4th fighting with Arsenal.

I think Spurs have enough to finish 3rd, the only issue is if they go all out against Ajax which they should and when it comes to the weekend they are exhausted and fail to perform.

Spurs play Brighton then West ham at home and I'm expecting them to get 6 points then Bournemouth away in between the Ajax games, this is where I see them getting a draw or a loss. Everton at home on the final day might be tough but Spurs should win, that's 76-77 points in total

With Arsenal I'll try be as unbiased as possible, I think we will only pick up 1 point against Wolves and Leicester, both teams are dangerous and will cause us problems, Brughton at home in between the Valencia games luckily I expect us to win that and Burnley away on the final day we will win if it comes down to it, that's 73 points in total.

Like I say whoever wins out of Utd and Chelsea will be the biggest threat to Arsenal for 4th. For Man Utd I cannot see them getting anything against City, they will win the final 2 games against Huddersfield and Cardiff so a win is a must against Chelsea to get 73 points, their GD is bad however, they'll rely on Burnley to get something against Arsenal on the final day. I think Utd will finish on 71 points.

Chelsea for me are the favourites for 4th, I think they'll beat Burnley tomorrow and be in pole position, they've silently gone on a good run of results despite some performances being bad over the 2 months. They could lose to Utd and still end on 75 points by beating Watford at home in between Frankfurt games then Leicester away on the final day but I think Leicester will beat them like they did earlier in the season, Watford could take a draw at the Bridge too. For me I think Utd/Chelsea will end a draw, Chelsea will finish on 73 points.

So with 4 games left I predict...

3rd. Spurs 76 points
    4th. Arsenal 73 points (need to beat Burnley final day)
    5th. Chelsea 73 points (need to lose to Leicester final day)
    6th. Man Utd 71 points.

Let's see how close I get
  • LAboog4
    I agree a lot with @ashy though Spurs against West Ham will be tricky. West Ham always seem to get points off Spurs at least once a year and it will be hard for Spurs to beat them three times this year.

Best case for Arsenal/Spurs is if City beat United then United beat Chelsea.

My predictions (which have been terrible so far so expect the opposite)
    ItYHrGL.png

With United losing to City, I think City win the league then. No other games but league games until the end of the year while LFC have UCL to deal with. Earlier this year LFC had the advantage of being knocked out of the league cup and FA cup while City had the busy schedule now for the last month that is the opposite.
  • Wyojasond
    I agree a lot with @ashy though Spurs against West Ham will be tricky. West Ham always seem to get points off Spurs at least once a year and it will be hard for Spurs to beat them three times this year.

ItYHrGL.png

With United losing to City, I think City win the league then. No other games but league games until the end of the year while LFC have UCL to deal with. Earlier this year LFC had the advantage of being knocked out of the league cup and FA cup while City had the busy schedule now for the last month that is the opposite.

I would like to believe United have a chance and will go give City a game, but given there form and with no real leader to drag them back up I have very little faith. In All honesty I’m hoping Rodgers and Leicester can keep it going with Former Liverpool managers costing City points 😂
  • LAboog4

ItYHrGL.png

I would like to believe United have a chance and will go give City a game, but given there form and with no real leader to drag them back up I have very little faith. In All honesty I’m hoping Rodgers and Leicester can keep it going with Former Liverpool managers costing City points 😂

Unless a former Liverpool manager also costs Liverpool points with Newcastle coming to town! (I highly doubt it though, Newcastle look terrible against top teams.)
  • Wyojasond
    Only 6 teams in the history of the PL have earned more than 90 points. Two will likely do it this season. Mental what City and Liverpool are doing this year

• LAboog4
    I think that reflects poorly on the league more than how great the two teams on. No doubt both sides are really really good but the bottom 8 teams in the Premier League are awful this year.

I fear the top 6 is pulling further and further away from the rest and it is ruining the league.
  • Alastair
    10072 posts Moderator
    I fear the top 6 is pulling further and further away from the rest and it is ruining the league.

People were saying that 5 years ago and then Leicester came along. The PL is as competitive as ever, if not more competitive than before.

• Wyojasond

People were saying that 5 years ago and then Leicester came along. The PL is as competitive as ever, if not more competitive than before.

This ^^^ As good as City and Liverpool have been they aren’t exactly blowing teams out like they were last year either. The PL did have a couple of absolutely horrible teams this year in Fulham and Huddersfield, but outside of them you wouldn’t count any team out this year in a game.

Top 6 is rarely ever going to change, but other teams are spending more money on quality players and coaches them ever before. Look no further than Leicester, Wolves, Everton and Watford battling it out for 7th. No one would be surprised to see them battling for top 5 next year 🤷‍♂️