Why do you buy FIFA Points? (Keep it serious, please)

BigGuyStan
214 posts Has Potential To Be Special
So I'm hoping to see a lot of different answers here yet I have no idea what to expect.

Give me your opinion and not just the most popular opinion.

People who don't buy FP can reply but please don't go off-topic.

The reason I'm asking this is because I can't seem to find a rational explanation as to why people want to spend real money on a game that only last 12 months. And many people even do it year after year. For me, it looks like throwing money after something without getting anything in return.

So.. Why do you buy FIFA Points?

Comments

• Whitebeard
    3426 posts National Call-Up
    I once bought around 2k FP at the start of the game so I can play drafts with it. Honestly, I just wanted a quick boost and I could have afforded it at that time. Not a lot of money tho but I still regret it later. Shouldn't have done it, honestly. In my defense, it was at the beginning of the FIFA 17 when I considered the game fun. I have no issues with monetary support when you enjoy things. But, ya, right now, spending money on this game is pointless as it's pure trash.
  • RadioShaq
    15211 posts Moderator
    People want to skip the grind. Not many games you play for a whole year.
  • Empyrium7
    2784 posts Fans' Favourite
    I see no reason to buy FIFA points unless you are a pro and try to compete with other pros
  • ImAtrocious
    1798 posts Play-Off Hero
    I typically don't buy FP, mainly because the value isn't there with pack odds being so low. If I'm home on a Friday night and not doing anything when I typically would be out spending money on entertainment anyway, I'm okay with throwing $15 on FP. I think I've done that twice this year.
  • Clanceypants
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    I haven’t bought any in a few months but for the first few months of the game I just wanted to try out the best players and I don’t have the time or skill to do that organically.

I was also a bit addicted. It’s basically a form of gambling. I know you can’t win money but it’s exactly the same dopamine release when you pack an Icon. I packed an icon early in the game and selling it allowed me to build a semi decent team quite early. After that I just wanted to get that same result.

Having said all of that, I only starting playing FUT in the last few months of Fifa 18 and so now I’ve played the full season cycle of 19 I wouldn’t buy as many points ever again. I’m now actually interested to see how well I can do without buying points as I’ve improved massively. I will definitely pay for for whatever the best version of the game is though (champions edition or whatever).
  • Pocketsquareguy
    5771 posts Big Money Move
    dabeags wrote: »
    Because I'm an adult and a couple hundred bucks for hours of entertainment is a great value.

I have no idea why people get worked up over people buying Fifa Points. Granted, I am not spending thousands, but it doesn't even register in the top 100 trivial things I spend money on.

This is how I always felt. Let’s say $500 at the beginning of the game, not sure how many games I’ve played. Over 1000. There are very few hobbies or activities you can do that cost less per hour or minute than that. That said, while I think that amount is perfectly reasonable if you play a ton and can afford it, I’ve realized that by doing it, I’m contributing to much greater evil. If I continue to do that all I’m doing is encouraging EA to keep this game like it is. So while I can afford it, seems reasonable being it’s the only video game I play, they won’t see another dime from me outside of purchasing the game until it’s fixed. If they make a good game I’ll buy some points on release. If not I won’t.
  • Shakkour
    220 posts Sunday League Hero
    Every year i pay like 100$ on the release gamr and another 100$ on TOTY but this just paid 100$ In the beginning and stoped.its really waste Of money if u put it.on fifa
  • DistinctDwayne
    608 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Because I am a compulsive gambler and FP costs me substantially less than any bookies would do.
  • DanValletta
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    I decided to try my hand at trading this year but wanted a bit of capital to start with. I bought 12k points and the best player I packed was Wijnaldum that solidified my need to trade and my hate of buying packs.

I made 6 mill in the first month and haven't traded since really. Not at all now. I would love more coins but to get from where I am to what I would like would be a ridiculous amount of trading. I'd need to go from 7-8 where I am now to 20+.

To answer the question in short, to get capital to trade.
  • BW1991
    105 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Because I am a compulsive gambler and FP costs me substantially less than any bookies would do.

Actually this
  • limjitwe
    6858 posts Big Money Move
    I spend abit because I enjoy opening packs to get a thrill of hoping to hit someone decnet. Also I don’t have the time to trade ALOT or play ALOT to raise coins effectively. Plus I like to use the “better” players that I like in real life.
  • golazo
    1324 posts Play-Off Hero
    to buy packs...why else lol
  • Anarki301
    320 posts Sunday League Hero
    It is waste of money of course, but how else are you going to get the cards you want, by trading? No man, not for me, or by playing a lot? It can't happen, there is no way that you would make enough coins just by playing, no matter how much you play or how good you are, I mean it certainly helps if you are good, but still, no way you would have anything close to ppl who spend money in terms of resources.
  • Clanceypants
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    People want to skip the grind. Not many games you play for a whole year.

This is a really good point, the OP said a game you only play for a year but I can count on one hand the games I have put 250 hours into.
  • Safk001
    855 posts Semi-Pro
    I could ask why people go to the cinema? £10 ticket plus £10 food/travel etc that’s £20 for 2 hours of entertainment. If you go once a month that equals:

£240 - 24 hours entertainment

Put £240 (minus the £40 for the game) on FP how many hours entertainment? - As many as you choose

Compare the two examples and you have yourself a bargain.
  • DicaniosGod
    5335 posts Big Money Move
    Can’t be bothered to spend hours trading!
  • madwullie
    4805 posts National Call-Up
    To get the capital at the start for a boost. 12k on release gives you a substantial stack to start properly trading with. After about October there's just no value in it anymore but I'll still chuck in the odd 20 notes here and there because I'm a grown man and it's my business what I do with my money.

Haven't done it for a while mind you as I don't feel they've earned it this year and up to about a fortnight ago there was zero value in packs.
  • Salvatori
    1174 posts Professional
    Because i am an adult and have the disposalable income to afford it.

Put another way, on a random friday night when the missus is working, i could either go out and spend £80 -£100 on a night out getting messed up, or i could chuck £20 on fifa points and play fifa all night with a couple of quiet beers in the house.

One of the two options is far better for your health..............
  • Cornushon
    4520 posts National Call-Up
    dabeags wrote: »
    Because I'm an adult and a couple hundred bucks for hours of entertainment is a great value.

I have no idea why people get worked up over people buying Fifa Points. Granted, I am not spending thousands, but it doesn't even register in the top 100 trivial things I spend money on.

This is how I always felt. Let’s say $500 at the beginning of the game, not sure how many games I’ve played. Over 1000. There are very few hobbies or activities you can do that cost less per hour or minute than that. That said, while I think that amount is perfectly reasonable if you play a ton and can afford it, I’ve realized that by doing it, I’m contributing to much greater evil. If I continue to do that all I’m doing is encouraging EA to keep this game like it is. So while I can afford it, seems reasonable being it’s the only video game I play, they won’t see another dime from me outside of purchasing the game until it’s fixed. If they make a good game I’ll buy some points on release. If not I won’t.

Exactly this
  • starfox1284
    1907 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 8
    Salvatori wrote: »

Put another way, on a random friday night when the missus is working, i could either go out and spend £80 -£100 on a night out getting messed up, or i could chuck £20 on fifa points and play fifa all night with a couple of quiet beers in the house.

yes sir, SOOOOOO THIS. There are people that play this game that are not using "daddy's credit card", we actually have jobs with disposable income where we can choose how to spend it.
  • JoyW
    1998 posts Fans' Favourite
    For the thrill of opening packs and ofcourse the extra coins they bring in. So I can spend them on a few players that I like.
  • Clanceypants
    edited April 8
    That buzz when you see the EA logo shadow...
  • Smiley_Utd
    1445 posts Play-Off Hero
    I tend to buy FP when I need a few extra coins to get the next player I want in my team, the problem is theres always room for improvement so the spend can turn to a constant cycle unless your sensible.

its a very fine line.
  • DanValletta
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 8

I couldn't care less about what people do with their money but I don't understand why you and others feel the need to validate why you buy points.

OP just asked why we do. In your case you enjoy opening some packs with a few beers at the weekend.
    Always makes me think people are insecure or feel defensive when they try to validate it by giving mathematical equations like that.

I agree with you though. You do you, do what you want :)
  • madwullie
    4805 posts National Call-Up

I couldn't care less about what people do with their money but I don't understand why you and others feel the need to validate why you buy points.

OP just asked why we do. In your case you enjoy opening some packs with a few beers at the weekend.
    Always makes me think people are insecure or feel defensive when they try to validate it by giving mathematical equations like that.

Eh? In a thread where the op asks why people buy points you're making noise about someone saying why they buy points?
  • DanValletta
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    madwullie wrote: »

Eh? In a thread where the op asks why people buy points you're making noise about someone saying why they buy points?

Maybe the way I explained it was bad... I'm saying the reason why is he enjoys a beer and a few packs.

He then goes on to validate it when there is no need.
  • Salvatori
    1174 posts Professional

Maybe the way I explained it was bad... I'm saying the reason why is he enjoys a beer and a few packs.

Well its a bit both. I enjoy beer and packs, but i can do that through the league SBC's (and i frequently do, i think i have done each of the "big" league SBCs in full 3 times, 4 for Germany).

The reason i buy fifa points, which was what was actually asked, was that i can afford it. I am financially secure, have no kids (Thank f****......scenes when you get beat at fifa by your own kids...) and I take a view on life that I have no issue spending throw away money on something which will give me a short term thrill (leaving my self a bit open there i suppose.......)

I dont validate for anyone, ya'all can think what you wish, i just answered the question the dude answered.
  • DanValletta
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

Well its a bit both. I enjoy beer and packs, but i can do that through the league SBC's (and i frequently do, i think i have done each of the "big" league SBCs in full 3 times, 4 for Germany).

The reason i buy fifa points, which was what was actually asked, was that i can afford it. I am financially secure, have no kids (Thank f****......scenes when you get beat at fifa by your own kids...) and I take a view on life that I have no issue spending throw away money on something which will give me a short term thrill (leaving my self a bit open there i suppose.......)

I dont validate for anyone, ya'all can think what you wish, i just answered the question the dude answered.

That's fair, I did mention others, It was just your post I quoted.

I don't care all that much I'm just stating my opinion that it sounds like some answers are as if their wife has asked them.

If you disagree with me that's also fair. Have a good evening fella x
  • keronc
    1060 posts Professional
    I don't buy FP but I know people who do and most of them say they just don't have the time to grind for the coins or packs needed to get good players. I play squad battles and WL. I also get DR rewards from points received during the WL. with those rewards, I have been able to put together a team that is good enough to compete.