4231 doesn't work

Lkane
951 posts Professional
edited March 2019
Well for me it doesn't. I've always been a 2 striker kind of guy but after the rave reviews about 4231 I'd be lying if it hadn't turned my head. Tried holding off but thought I'd try it for a few games and was disappointed, thought it offered no creativity.

Been using 41212 or 442 since I've been playing fifa (since 1997) and I just prefer the two at top. So if it works for you fair play I wont judge i just reckon it's overrated!

Comments

• Bilbao_Baggins
    4024 posts National Call-Up
    Yep I find this also. I just get destroyed using it
  • phil_88
    586 posts An Exciting Prospect
    i use the 4231 wide with the front 4 on stay forward and the 2 cdms on stay back, seems to work well
  • Lkane
    951 posts Professional
    You’re not using it right mate. U need to have everyone on stay back and fix your tactics to dropback. Then every match you need to summon your inner tony pulis and bore the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off your opponent

😂😂
  • Giggs11
    566 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Got my first ever elite a couple of weeks ago using 4231 but it was so boring.

Switched back to 442/41212 this week. Dropped back into gold 1 but I actually enjoyed playing the game again. Won’t be using 4231 again even if it does prevent me from reaching elite...
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    edited March 2019
    I used it for about 20 matches last week and it was awful. The wide CAM's just felt completely isolated and offered very little.
  • KING_HENKE
    972 posts Semi-Pro
    Tried it and it was extremely depressing. Back to two up top
  • Mikep2212
    729 posts Semi-Pro
    Iv switched to it find it suits my style iv even been able to play on balanced rather than drop back as i was playing on previous formation. I only have one of the cdms on stay back also
  • Bevlarrrr
    1242 posts Professional
    Giggs11 wrote: »
    Got my first ever elite a couple of weeks ago using 4231 but it was so boring.

Switched back to 442/41212 this week. Dropped back into gold 1 but I actually enjoyed playing the game again. Won’t be using 4231 again even if it does prevent me from reaching elite...

Was that 41212 with LM and RM ?
  • madwullie
    6442 posts Big Money Move
    All three cams on free roam, striker on F9, one cdm on get forward and full backs join the attack = 🍆
  • IRON_KY94
    268 posts Sunday League Hero
    change the depth the press 'r3' on the pad. this makes it work
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    Never works for me. Always feels like I can't create much. It's always been a popular formation, I've tried it every year and it's always been the same.
  • mway
    2014 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 2019
    Nothing works is this game. It works 2 or 3 games and then is trash.
  • Colt_seevers
    1505 posts Play-Off Hero
    madwullie wrote: »
    All three cams on free roam, striker on F9, one cdm on get forward and full backs join the attack = 🍆

I could count on one hand the amount of 4231 users play like this
  • Markman007
    3783 posts National Call-Up
    phil_88 wrote: »
    i use the 4231 wide with the front 4 on stay forward and the 2 cdms on stay back, seems to work well

4231 wide is a lot more fun. The narrow is just boring.
  • MrMack08
    452 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Try the 352, I had my best weekend with it
  • BILLYT96
    476 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play 4231 narrow drop back but 6 depth, works well for the possession based game I play and also I don’t get shafted on the counter by people that play 41212 narrow and just abuse 1-2’s between their front 3

Might be annoying for opponents to play against but it’s also annoying to play against people that you’re better than but they just rely on the counter, as well as people that abuse pressure

It’s about finding what suits you and what you like. Before I used drop back it used to annoy me that I had to bust balls to get through an opponents defence and score and they just got through my defence like a knife through butter, especially opponents with 41212 narrow.
  • Colt_seevers
    1505 posts Play-Off Hero
    BILLYT96 wrote: »
    I play 4231 narrow drop back but 6 depth, works well for the possession based game I play and also I don’t get shafted on the counter by people that play 41212 narrow and just abuse 1-2’s between their front 3

Might be annoying for opponents to play against but it’s also annoying to play against people that you’re better than but they just rely on the counter, as well as people that abuse pressure

It’s about finding what suits you and what you like. Before I used drop back it used to annoy me that I had to bust balls to get through an opponents defence and score and they just got through my defence like a knife through butter, especially opponents with 41212 narrow.

There are 41212 users who just abuse 1,2s between their front 3, but if you’re using a 4231 on dropback then you’re pretty much abusing ai defending. Cram the midfield and the ai does the work
  • MHoney1234
    10339 posts Has That Special Something
    The 41212-2 ping pong passers from Fifa 18 are strong in this thread
  • Lkane
    951 posts Professional
    MHoney1234 wrote: »

To be fair I think the way people are with this game you cant play with any formation without being called either a sheep, tryhard or noob 😂
  • iRusty_yo
    4011 posts National Call-Up
    4222 is my go to formation.
  • Mutu10gol
    2828 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lkane wrote: »

To be fair I think the way people are with this game you cant play with any formation without being called either a sheep, tryhard or noob 😂

• DeanoZoff
    4775 posts National Call-Up

This guy knows. Not all of us tell 6 players to stay back.

I could count on one hand the amount of 4231 users play like this

Yea there aint many.

Ive switched between 4231 and 4411 for the last 3 years. Bit annoying that 3 out of 4 opponents now play it too.

For the 2 years before that it was pause at kick off and switch to 41212 narrow.

Lkane wrote: »

Nail on the head
  • Lkane
    951 posts Professional
    iRusty_yo wrote: »
    4222 is my go to formation.

Havnt tried this one this year although a couple of years back I loved it for a while. Just didn't offer much in the middle because the CAMs were so wide.
  • ILevis
    1331 posts Professional

Most people use 4231 because they have no personality or individuality and just think they'll win if they copy what works for others.

And here i am, using 4231 since FIFA 11 and suddenly everybody is hating on it :(
  • DIXON THFC
    3236 posts National Call-Up
    You’re not using it right mate. U need to have everyone on stay back and fix your tactics to dropback. Then every match you need to summon your inner tony pulis and bore the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off your opponent

Love this haha :D