Lock custom tactics to managers.

OfficerJimlahey
1481 posts Play-Off Hero
I’ve mentioned this numerous times over the years and it’s had relatively low support. However, with the blatant abuse of broken CT’s, I think this has to be done, as it is in PES.

People using 1 depth and 1 width is far to rewarding, not to mention unrealistic. So my proposal is this, make the managers have an impact. For example, if you wanted to play like a relegation contender (as a lot do) you’d have Tony Pulis as a manager. He play deep and look to counter but within the confines of realism for example - 4 depth, 4 width, drop back.

Similarly, if you wanted to play fluid flowing football then pep would be your man. High line, pressure after possession loss, possession football etc.

This would stop people blatantly abusing the CT’s but still allow everyone to play how they like. It would give managers actual relevance, instead of being pack filler and also you’d be able to tell what sort of player your opponent is.

Comments

• OfficerJimlahey
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    Also, we all know that fifa has massive mechanical flaws, this would allow EA to regulate the extent in which these flaws could be exploited
  • Don_seanado
    268 posts Sunday League Hero
    managers boosts contracts as well, let's not forget that important bit but ultimately i like the concept but it also seems restrictive and sees the prices of particular managers go up because everyone will be looking for the "best manager" as youtubers flood their channels with "BEST OP MANAGER EVER! IMPROVE RESULTS IN WEEKEND LEAGUE!" videos.

Ultimately it also removes our input in how we want our team to play and at the end of the day this is a sad and poorly made *arcade video game* not a simulator so people do what works for wins. It's not about quality it's about what works.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    hellodee wrote: »
    This will make pulis card extinct

Haha it would. But it would also make EA question why pulis is the most popular manager in a game that is meant to be fun. They’d have no choice but to balance the game
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    managers boosts contracts as well, let's not forget that important bit but ultimately i like the concept but it also seems restrictive and sees the prices of particular managers go up because everyone will be looking for the "best manager" as youtubers flood their channels with "BEST OP MANAGER EVER! IMPROVE RESULTS IN WEEKEND LEAGUE!" videos.

Ultimately it also removes our input in how we want our team to play and at the end of the day this is a sad and poorly made *arcade video game* not a simulator so people do what works for wins. It's not about quality it's about what works.

That’s a valid point but I think it could be worked around, there are a lot of managers and effectively every style of football is represented. It would mean we’re not operating in the extremes.
  • hellodee
    316 posts Sunday League Hero
    They won't do it because that means they need to do more work into the game. Like have their database guy do some research and editing. Not a fat chance.
  • BiigDee
    4319 posts National Call-Up
    Couldn’t they just remove the Al then people won’t be able to sit back and let it defend for them.
  • lippyone
    369 posts Sunday League Hero
    I like it, great idea. Would really bring the manager market to prominence, and make them the most important part of the team, which they probably are in real life.
  • Moose Factory
    3311 posts National Call-Up
    NBA 2k does this with the various coaches in its MyTeam mode. Some coaches are more defensive minded others more offensive, some balanced, etc which challenges you to build out a squad that plays to the strengths of your coach or find a coach that fits within the strengths of your players.

It's a sports game. Things like this should matter in FIFA.
  • PegLeg
    220 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The problem isn't that we can customise tactics, it's that the mechanics of the game are broken to the point where they encourage everyone to use the same thing (or slight variations of)
  • ELSALCFC
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Who would be on the cover pulis or warnock?
  • Recoba
    3131 posts National Call-Up
    Everyone would just use Simeone.
  • WarrenBarton
    6221 posts Big Money Move
    Only if we can see the opposition’s manager before we start imo.

Although that may cause a lot of people to back out so people inclined to play sweaty would just moan
  • What about all the bronze, silver and non rare gold managers? Maybe this can work for rare gold managers?

I mean it would definitely add an element to the game. Or maybe each manager can add a certain chem style like +5 boost to a certain stat?
  • Renamed123456
    3350 posts National Call-Up
    They'd release Flashback Pulis with 1 depth custom tactic.
  • Renamed123456
    I like the idea but also don't.

It'd come with its same problems. Or one would be OP and everyone would use it. Same S different clothing.

I like having control over how my team plays. More control the better imho.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 19

It'd come with its same problems. Or one would be OP and everyone would use it. Same S different clothing.

I believe that the exploitation of the broken mechanics is most apparent when operating in the extremes (1 depth etc) at least this way EA could limit the extent to which the mechanics are abused.
  • Renamed123456

I believe that the exploitation of the broken mechanics is most apparent when operating in the extremes (1 depth etc) at least this way EA could limit the extent to which the mechanics are abused.

They could just remove the extremes.

Or could just reduce AI auto blocks etc.

I reckon it would just be worse. Everyone will just be the same manager. At best it would be just the same.
  • Renamed123456
    It literally become "Klopp is meta use klopp because he's end game"
  • malky
    85 posts Park Captain
    Great idea👍