Passing bug

SuPeRz
885 posts Semi-Pro
edited January 2019
@EA_Andy

This happens every single game... every one of them. It can’t be intended gameplay... this must be a bug. Please fix!

I’m trying to pass an easy through ball to the left but look what happens, the Game decides to pass a ridiculous ball to the right... How? Why? So frustrating!

Comments

  • EA_Andy
    3378 posts EA Staff (retired)
    This isn’t a bug, there’s lots of factors that come into passing, including these as an example:
    • How assisted is your passing setting
    • The composure of the player in relation to how much pressure your player is under
    • Weak foot v strong foot

    There’s also a consideration between direction and power. For example the game may select a target that prioritizes the power more than direction to make your pass more successful.

    Let’s take the first pass as an example

    9fm9jw67c431.png

    The game would consider the direction and power and might have judged that the defender in white (highlighted yellow) is going to get to the ball first so it decides on another target with a higher probability of success.

    If there had been more power on the pass then it may have gone in the direction you aimed to the player on the left.

    Ultimately if you want full control over your passing you would need to try out the manual setting.
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    Ok. Thanks for clarification. The game should prioritize direction over power on assisted settings, like PES, don’t you think?

    I say that because there is never that problem in PES, where the ball goes in the complete other direction than the direction aimed. It would just make more sense.

    I tried semi... but the game does exactly what you described...so instead of the game doing all that plus having the added disadvantage of semi vs assisted players, I just play assisted.
  • Zidane11
    290 posts Sunday League Hero
    SuPeRz wrote: »
    @EA_Andy

    This happens every single game... every one of them. It can’t be intended gameplay... this must be a bug. Please fix!

    I’m trying to pass an easy through ball to the left but look what happens, the Game decides to pass a ridiculous ball to the right... How? Why? So frustrating!


    It was a while i didn't play fifa but it took my attention too!!! Often the passes go just the wrong way!!! I quit with playing!! Disgusting!! It's getting worse and worse!!!
  • FifaVet
    67 posts Has Potential To Be Special

    This isn't a bug but it's neither what easandy stated. The game ruins easy chances like these. This happens so often. As you can see, the game comprehends very well where you're aiming the ball to but then decides to pass the ball to someone else.
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    FifaVet wrote: »
    This isn't a bug but it's neither what easandy stated. The game ruins easy chances like these. This happens so often. As you can see, the game comprehends very well where you're aiming the ball to but then decides to pass the ball to someone else.

    That’s what baffles me! If this is AI attempting to understand what my intentions are, how and why would it do something so crazy? I guess that type of logic would explain why autoswitching has been so bad all these years! The AI is simply crazy!
  • BiigDee
    4972 posts Big Money Move
    This is a prime example of the Al being to over powered. I’m so sick of being punished in this game because I want to do things for myself.
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    Well it's in shooting too...and it's Messi...and he's through on goal...no pressure.... I aim for a nice easy tap in past the keeper....the game decides this:

  • bulldogubld
    122 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Fifa 19 is so broken....shooting, passing, defending...everything is broken...
  • Daveangel
    89 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Ea Andy I no your trying to defend your game but there right passing wen gameplay is poor is so bad game has lost it fun it only makes people angry until you sort this out game is not worth playing
  • Gunin
    426 posts Sunday League Hero
    This game is so horrible. There is no explaining away that awful pass that the game just "DECIDED" to do all on it's own. No matter what the game algorithm was trying to do. It just "DECIDED" to NOT do what you told it to do making this game a game of chance not skill. Garbage in Garbage out.
  • Daveangel
    89 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It all comes down to how good your connection is
    Ea won’t sort this out because they can’t simple
    I don’t profess to be amazing at this game but can clearly hold my own I was 14-1 in weekend league and then game decided to give me 3 bull laggy button delay if someone beats me fair and square I have no qualms but the 3 games I lost because of bad connection this makes you more angry than anything as the game is out if your control
    Your not in control of your fate on this game ea servers are
  • neil83
    73 posts Park Captain
    But ea blame your connection not theres make excuses all the time poor company and they are a joke
  • hooligan87
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    This isn’t a bug, there’s lots of factors that come into passing, including these as an example:
    • How assisted is your passing setting
    • The composure of the player in relation to how much pressure your player is under
    • Weak foot v strong foot

    There’s also a consideration between direction and power. For example the game may select a target that prioritizes the power more than direction to make your pass more successful.

    Let’s take the first pass as an example

    9fm9jw67c431.png

    The game would consider the direction and power and might have judged that the defender in white (highlighted yellow) is going to get to the ball first so it decides on another target with a higher probability of success.

    If there had been more power on the pass then it may have gone in the direction you aimed to the player on the left.

    Ultimately if you want full control over your passing you would need to try out the manual setting.

    Do you understand what you're writing?! You confirm that the computer specifically changes direction so that the ball is not taken away! And you think that's normal?! Do you think we're stupid???? We need that kind of help! You're ruining the game! Give us more control! Your Pro players play on auto-control! And what can they do without the help of a computer?! No matter what?! Wake up! We do not want such arcade football! You're suggesting we play it by hand. Where can you play like that?! Friendly matches?! You try to play on manual control online against an opponent with auto control! Do you think that's fair?! You think about weak players and make a game for them! What can WE do! Who want a simulator! Why don't you think of us! So much criticism lately that the ball badly adjusted computer may be enough to ignore it and time to think?!!
  • Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    hooligan87 wrote: »
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    This isn’t a bug, there’s lots of factors that come into passing, including these as an example:
    • How assisted is your passing setting
    • The composure of the player in relation to how much pressure your player is under
    • Weak foot v strong foot

    There’s also a consideration between direction and power. For example the game may select a target that prioritizes the power more than direction to make your pass more successful.

    Let’s take the first pass as an example

    9fm9jw67c431.png

    The game would consider the direction and power and might have judged that the defender in white (highlighted yellow) is going to get to the ball first so it decides on another target with a higher probability of success.

    If there had been more power on the pass then it may have gone in the direction you aimed to the player on the left.

    Ultimately if you want full control over your passing you would need to try out the manual setting.

    Do you understand what you're writing?! You confirm that the computer specifically changes direction so that the ball is not taken away! And you think that's normal?! Do you think we're stupid???? We need that kind of help! You're ruining the game! Give us more control! Your Pro players play on auto-control! And what can they do without the help of a computer?! No matter what?! Wake up! We do not want such arcade football! You're suggesting we play it by hand. Where can you play like that?! Friendly matches?! You try to play on manual control online against an opponent with auto control! Do you think that's fair?! You think about weak players and make a game for them! What can WE do! Who want a simulator! Why don't you think of us! So much criticism lately that the ball badly adjusted computer may be enough to ignore it and time to think?!!

    This, although don’t shoot the messenger as this is the first time I’ve ever hear anyone from EA properly explain how a mechanic works.

    Agree totally however that it’s a major flaw- direction should always be dictated by the player and if the power is poorly set by the player then let us make the mistake and have the short pass intercepted.

  • Skjeggape77
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited March 2019
    EA_Andy wrote: »

    The game would consider the direction and power and might have judged that the defender in white (highlighted yellow) is going to get to the ball first so it decides on another target with a higher probability of success.

    If there had been more power on the pass then it may have gone in the direction you aimed to the player on the left.

    I must say thanks to EA_Andy for telling us how broken passing is in this game. The game just should not do this at all. Sure - it should assist your passing direction somewhat - but actually CHOOSING to pass to a different player than the intended target, just because the opponent then might have gotten the ball instead, is just NOT how a 1v1, online, multiplayer game should work.

    In such a game, there should be a definite punishment for being a terrible passer, but in FIFA - there just isnt.

    I mean, just look at this example.

    Arguably I should have gotten the ball there ATLEAST twice, if not more. As you can see, I'm directly in the path between two players blocking the angle - yet the player STILL makes the pass, and the pass is STILL successfull. Not once, but TWICE! You can even see that the second time it happens, the game even REMOVES my player from the passing trajectory. I'm not doing that movement at all.

    And trust me, if this guy's passing didnt go AROUND my player to benefit him, without giving me the ball - it would definitely go through my legs or be dinked over my feet (with NO additional input required from the opponent), to make these terrible passes a success anyway.

    This is whats broken with passing, and needs to be adressed by you guys.

    Mind you, this isnt even an isolated incident. This is basically how the game works, so this kind of stuff happens all the time, in every single match I play.

    Here's another example. He simply passes the ball right at my player, but isnt punished for it,

    What you need to do for this game, is to tone down assisted passing, and REMOVE the part where it deliberately avoids opponent players for the passers benefit, because that only serves to help bad passers, and to make it pointless to read the opponents passing and thus remove the passing skill gap, pretty much.
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    Ultimately if you want full control over your passing you would need to try out the manual setting

    I dont know if you are aware of this, but the default setting for ALL modes, is assisted passing. That means that its also the default for competitive, esports FIFA. And this is not a mechanic that has any place in competitive gaming, obviously - as I have already explained. And if you then select manual passing, you're still going to have to play against people who use assisted passing.

    And needless to say, the way passing works - as you have clearly explained here - is not how it should work in a competitive, esports setting. For a low skill party game for kids, it might be acceptable, but when you actually encourage people to be competitive online, even bloody well encourage or even force people to spend money to be competitive - this mechanic is bollocks. Thats the bottom line.

    Fix the game!
    Post edited by Skjeggape77 on
  • hooligan87
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    It is difficult for players to demonstrate their skill when the computer interferes with your actions! The game becomes monotonous and boring! When the player has to lose the ball the computer helps and the player continues the attack.. It's nonsense. Why when a player shoots past the goal at the end of the match and scores a goal and it affects the result of the match?! Tell me, is that fair?! When I want to play with the computer I play offline. But when I want to compete with the ability of a real opponent online I again face the computer?! A person who has logic and loves and understands football will never understand it! Developers always avoid these purely football questions!
  • fifaplayerbol
    4378 posts National Call-Up
    SuPeRz wrote: »
    Well it's in shooting too...and it's Messi...and he's through on goal...no pressure.... I aim for a nice easy tap in past the keeper....the game decides this:


    Horrible example, he took the shot from behind him, that's not a nice ease tap in
  • bellstar
    161 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Game is Trash, been saying all year (does what it wants when it wants) and so will fifa 20. I stopped playing this bag of garbage game 6 weeks ago,
  • Skjeggape77
    58 posts Park Captain
    SuPeRz wrote: »
    Well it's in shooting too...and it's Messi...and he's through on goal...no pressure.... I aim for a nice easy tap in past the keeper....the game decides this

    The reason why that happens is that you are shooting a ball that comes from behind, on the first touch, with the weak foot of the player. If you expect that to be a success every single time, you might wanna reconsider. And part of the problem of this game, is that people like you complain about these kind of things that arent a major issue - because EA might listen to you, instead of someone with a real complaint about the game.

  • PPerfect_CJ
    119 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    What about when you pass sideways to a teammate and they do that little slowed down stutter step like they're stuck in mud and the ball just rolls past them and either the CPU gets it or it goes out of bounds? They could have easily received the pass, but the game forces you to turn the ball over. The most infuriating thing about FIFA for me!
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    SuPeRz wrote: »
    Well it's in shooting too...and it's Messi...and he's through on goal...no pressure.... I aim for a nice easy tap in past the keeper....the game decides this

    The reason why that happens is that you are shooting a ball that comes from behind, on the first touch, with the weak foot of the player. If you expect that to be a success every single time, you might wanna reconsider. And part of the problem of this game, is that people like you complain about these kind of things that arent a major issue - because EA might listen to you, instead of someone with a real complaint about the game.

    It's Messi and the shot would be on target in real life! That's all I was saying. Either way, this thread is about the OP....are you saying that is also something we shouldn't complain about? If so, then maybe it's players like you who are the reason the game is the way it is now!
  • Skjeggape77
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited March 2019
    SuPeRz wrote: »

    It's Messi and the shot would be on target in real life!

    I'm not that convinced about that personally. Obviously. That it should work in the game that is, because that really depends on a lot of thing. In real life though, anything can happen.
    SuPeRz wrote: »

    Either way, this thread is about the OP....are you saying that is also something we shouldn't complain about?

    You can read my personal opinion on that, further up the thread. Just scroll up and you'll find it.
    SuPeRz wrote: »

    If so, then maybe it's players like you who are the reason the game is the way it is now!

    Well, I would say its the opposite, but you can think whatever you want.

    All that said, I think the OP's complaint is clearly misguided. He clearly doesnt know how passing works. However, Andy does - and he explains it. The problem is, it shouldnt work as Andy explains it, and I've been trying to tell EA that ever since it changed to how it works today, in FIFA 17. Only now, its even worse than back then.
  • Ballsantini
    164 posts Sunday League Hero
    The explanation is helpful, however the implication is awkward. Because it suggests that the gameplay is designed that if you dont apply enough power or if your composure rating is too low, the player will pass the ball in an unintended direction to another player that is behind him.

    This could never happen in real life. In real life the player would play the pass short or long or wide. The “fair” result is a chance.

    The bigger issue is that the mechanics are undermining the players intent and over-dictating the impact of the game.

    If its composure driven - its a direct example of game designers builing in mechanics to penalize players for not having the best players on their team, which directly incents us users to go buy expensive fut packs.

    The even more annoying implication is in career mode, you wont be able to enjoy playing with ur actual favorite team because the players will make uncontrollable mechanics-induced mistakes.

    Shocking. And poor judgment from game designers. Demonstrates they think folks are so addicted that the game doesnt even have to be fun to be profitable. Theyre wrong and EA stock is getting punished for it. Hopefully they correct next year.



  • IGS
    63 posts Park Captain
    basically the Ai decides where the pass goes... which is unnaceptable... i wanna make the decisions... right or wrong... they are mine to be made... else i feel is not really me who is playing but the AI.
  • Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    Makes sense as to how players can blindly ping pong pass now. With good players and the AI choosing direction you can just hit pass over and over and get decent success.
  • hooligan87
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    The game is very much influenced by the computer. The better your composition, the stronger the player the more help you computer! You can win a weak composition of a strong opponent if you play as a robot and use the game scripts! I urge the developers to maximally remove from the game effect and using the computer!
  • hooligan87
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    I wish the staff EA spent together tournament FIFa 19. And the winner received an annual award! Here then they would see at once a heap of minuses of a game! Especially when they would miss the last minute ridiculous goals! When a weak player could win against a strong one because the game wanted so much!
  • Skjeggape77
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited March 2019

    The bigger issue is that the mechanics are undermining the players intent and over-dictating the impact of the game.

    If its composure driven - its a direct example of game designers builing in mechanics to penalize players for not having the best players on their team, which directly incents us users to go buy expensive fut packs.

    Great point and a great example of this. I have claimed for a long time that EA have taken the game more and more into this direction over recent years. Making it more and more crucial to have great players. This is especially problematic when they urge people to be competitive in the game, with competitive modes and trying to make it into an esport. The game is clearly not made to be competed in fairly or properly based on skill - but they still want people to spend ❤️❤️❤️❤️ loads of money to even be able to try.

    And thats why they hardly ever talk about game play - where the post Andy made in this thread is a huge exception to the norm. Because if they did actually talk about game play they would inevitably be exposed. As Andy exposes how broken and uncompetitive the passing mechanics is in this game, where half the decisions are actually made by the AI and not the player.

    Now some of us has been aware of that for years, but its great to see it come out of the horses mouth, to confirm our suspicions.

    The even more annoying implication is in career mode, you wont be able to enjoy playing with ur actual favorite team because the players will make uncontrollable mechanics-induced mistakes.

    Shocking. And poor judgment from game designers. Demonstrates they think folks are so addicted that the game doesnt even have to be fun to be profitable. Theyre wrong and EA stock is getting punished for it. Hopefully they correct next year.

    They've been going in this direction for years already. Its how they want the game to be, because its the best money making recipe. So they're going to do this regardless of how much people complain - because that is the most important thing to them.

    So thinking that somethings going to improve after years of going in the wrong direction, while EA are still piling mountains of money directly off the game regardless - is just crazy.
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    edited April 2019
    Anyone saw Suarez's rocket with his (weak) left foot to save Barca today? Weak foot ratings on Fifa and the handicap they give to professional players is laughable... Barcas front three should have five star weak foot ratings
    Post edited by SuPeRz on
Sign In or Register to comment.