Mike Bassett: England Manager a 4-4-flipping 2 RTG

Knowlesdinho
11231 posts Has That Special Something
breaking-graphic-deamstime-1.jpg

In what might come as a surprise to many, waistcoat loving Gareth Southgate has stepped down as the England manager. Southgate famously led England to the semi finals of the 2018 world cup, and has since been hailed a national hero. His decision to leave however was financially motivated, having been offered a lucrative contract to be a waistcoat model for George at Asda.

gareth-southgate-050718.jpg?w968

The English FA are struggling to find a replacement, and so have appointed Mike Bassett as interim England manager. Bassett recently won the Mr Clutch Cup and is currently the toast of Norwich.

Mike-Bassett.jpg

In what is an unprecedented injury crisis, all the current England players have broken their metatarsals, meaning that Bassett has had to call on some veteran England players for the next 5 qualifying games. Some heads may turn at the inclusion of the League one player Stephen Bywater and the League 2 player Adam Buxton. Apparently Bassett's assistant misunderstood the instructions to "buy water, Buxtons!" for the upcoming match.

714089UyNbL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the team selection

995210d2-f9af-4e90-ae7b-7710cfacc8ca.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=atDDOHra0Cq7NhIxZd7d0jiFl4IrrIfQodIO17NC7uo%3D

Rules

* I must always play 4-4-flipping 2.

* There must always be 2 lower league players (championship or below) in the team that have never been capped at senior level.

* If I draw, I can bring a current international player back from injury.

* If I win, I can bring 2 current international players back from injury, or I can upgrade my 2 lower league players.

* If I lose and I have any current England internationals in the squad, one is injured for the next game.

* The current squad can never be injured, so the worst case scenario is I'm always playing with the initial squad.

* If I gain a promotion, and I have the coins, I can bring an England Icon into the team that can never be injured (got to try and give myself some incentive :joy: ).

Format

This will be a story driven RTG where I will try to live and breathe the philosophy of Mike Bassett. I expect to lose, and lose a lot, but that all adds to the reality of being Mike Bassett.

Any suggestions

Is there anything that you would like to see? Any tweaks to the rules for me to consider? I've already made this quite hard, so go easy on me.

Comments

• Knowlesdinho
    Ricky-Tomlinson-Mike-Bassett-404602.jpg

It's been a torrid time in the qualifiers for Bassett's England team. Having to pull a load of veterans out of retirement has really shown and England scraped through to Division 6 of the world qualifiers. In the last game, Bassett lost 5-0 with Dybala scoring a hattrick. Bassett faced a lot of unrepeatable chants from the crowd after that game! Things might be looking up though as it's rumoured 2 of the usual line up will be back from injury for the next game.

Results

Drew 2
    Lost 3

Top Scorers

Defoe 3
    Dawson 1
    Cole 1
    Lennon 1

Assists

Cole 1
    Lennon 1
    Barry 1
    Rooney 1
    Crouch 1

Players back from injury

As it was the division qualifiers, I decided to wait until I completed them to bring back any players from injury. I drew 2 games, so I'll be bringing 2 players back from injury. I will bring in UCL Stones and UCL Smalling because balls over the top were killing me with the slow CBs that I have. Hopefully I'll get my first win now.
  • BrentfordFC
    12316 posts Has That Special Something
    Bentley goalkeeper :trollface:
  • RebelRob
    5325 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 14
    Gotta get a benson or a hedges in the team if you can! If there’s players by that names in the database obviously.
  • Addicksfan
    3297 posts National Call-Up
    RebelRob wrote: »
    Gotta get a benson or a hedges in the team if you can! If there’s players by that names in the database obviously.

:D

None that are English

Ryan Hedges - Welsh - 63 rated - RM
    Robert Benson - Irish - 65 rated - CM
  • Antparry92
    17943 posts World Class
    Matt Hedges is a a decent CB over in the MLS, 73 rated silver, shame about the links :joy:
  • Cadey 5
    10630 posts Has That Special Something
    Have the club captain someone you pick who cannot be injured.
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3306 posts National Call-Up
    Need a Rufus Smalls equivalent for the penalties
  • Knowlesdinho
    Cadey 5 wrote: »

Good idea...Kane perhaps?
  • Knowlesdinho
    RebelRob wrote: »

Yeah I tried my hardest, but had to wing it with the “Bywater, Buxtons” for the mistake :joy:
  • Davisto
    6353 posts Big Money Move
    Matt smith > crouch
    D1036-FCF-9031-426-F-9280-B7937-BD50589.png
  • Knowlesdinho
    Davisto wrote: »
    Matt smith > crouch
    D1036-FCF-9031-426-F-9280-B7937-BD50589.png

Could be an option as an uncapped upgrade.
  • BrentfordFC
    Nah can’t put him in for crouchy
  • Skinner249
    533 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Crouch is hilariously bad this FIFA, I ran him in a WL a few months back, the satisfaction you feel when he scores though is unrivalled.

I once scored a last minute winner with him and jumped off the sofa, arms aloft. Good times.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Skinner249 wrote: »
    Crouch is hilariously bad this FIFA, I ran him in a WL a few months back, the satisfaction you feel when he scores though is unrivalled.

I once scored a last minute winner with him and jumped off the sofa, arms aloft. Good times.

I have to agree with this...no first touch whatsoever. Defoe on the other hand is a little gem. I don’t know what his shot power stat is, but every goal he scored was a rocket!
  • Cadey 5

SBC Davis? One of the two lower league players and half decent CB:
  • chokosc
    2845 posts Fans' Favourite
    I want more updates now
  • Knowlesdinho
    chokosc wrote: »
    I want more updates now

Later my friend.
  • Danic123
    2877 posts Fans' Favourite
    This is a class idea. I might do something crazy as well if I get bored of my team, but no thread, can’t rival this one :smiley:
  • sido1968
    1323 posts Professional
    How about some not quite legends like Anton Ferdinand and Calum Butcher. I'm sure there are others.
  • Knowlesdinho

SBC Davis? One of the two lower league players and half decent CB:

I’m taking you up on this. What a great idea! I’m doing it for as cheap as possible, so unfortunately I’ve been transfer market banned. I’ve bought around 70% of the players for around 40k on bid, so with packs I think I can profit off this.

Thanks @Cadey 5

It will probably be Sunday before I get anymore games in. Out tomorrow, Rugger, and FA cup Saturday...so busy schedg!
  • Knowlesdinho
    edited March 16
    Mike-Bassett-England-Manager.jpg

Mike Bassett called a press conference today to announce the new England captain...

925d4888-e099-4a9b-9194-f4ed43fbfa02.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=y10LsR5b91T2Drvw5HmxcWAPRVPpIsr5V1cG3bLTP1g%3D

Press Mike, do you think Davies will make a good captain?

Mike Well, I don't want to predict that.

Press Well why not, you're the England manager?

Mike I know, obviously I want him to be, but I can't say if he will or he won't!

Press Well can he lead them in the next game?

Mike I can't say, I mean what do you flippin think?!

Press Well you're the England manager Mike, not me!

Mike I know, but you're asking me to predict the future so I'm asking you?!

Press It's not for me to say is it?

Mike No! Come on now smartarse, you put your flipping neck on the line, can he captain the team, yes, or no?

Press unanimously NO!

Mike There you go, see, you've all made your own flipping mind up, so what the flip are you asking me for? Flip off!
  • Knowlesdinho
    Davies will now be the captain and cannot get injured (thanks @Cadey 5 ). He also makes up one of the lower league uncapped players that always has to be in the team. I'm open to suggestions for the second player...
  • Cadey 5
    @Knowlesdinho out of interest how much did it cost you?

Need to get him for my England team at some point.
  • Knowlesdinho
    @Knowlesdinho out of interest how much did it cost you?

Need to get him for my England team at some point.

I did most of it by bidding on silvers for 150 coins non rare and 250 coins rare. 150 for any bronzes, 350 for most golds apart from the non rare ones. I started at around 250k on my second account and I have 213k left without selling everything that I packed (did pack Lloris which brought back 31k). So essentially you can do it super cheap, but I did it over 2 days. It depends on how patient you are.

If I sell everything, I reckon I'll profit tbh.
  • Knowlesdinho
    I'm going to play some games this evening, but before then I'd like to give you the opportunity to vote on my second uncapped lower league player. I've selected 1 from each league for you to vote on. All have 4* skills which is what I was looking for to give me a little chance.

https://strawpoll.com/hezd8986
  • Falafelmonster
    4831 posts National Call-Up
    Super cool dude, keep it up!
  • Antparry92
    17943 posts World Class
    Have to be from the lower leagues? If any it could be Chuba Akpom, BWP, Jay Simpson?
  • BrentfordFC
    How is he mert? Wanted to do him but he’s nothing on the cb last year. I’m sure he had something like 80 pace
  • Knowlesdinho
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Have to be from the lower leagues? If any it could be Chuba Akpom, BWP, Jay Simpson?

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind for the future. Grealish has won for this Strawpoll. I'll rotate the non league player from time to time, I just wanted 4* skills to give me a little chance early on.

Any others that you come up with, just post them.
  • Knowlesdinho
    How is he mert? Wanted to do him but he’s nothing on the cb last year. I’m sure he had something like 80 pace

Trying him shortly...I'll let you know.