Best formation/tactics to closely replicate current Manchester City?

SJR440
4259 posts National Call-Up
edited March 16
Not a Manchester City fan but really enjoy watching how they've been playing - both this season and last.

From the looks of it, their setup is quite a risky one with a lot of focus on the attack and getting a mass amount of players into the box to create chances.

What would you guys say is the best way to replicate their style?

As in, which formation would you use, player types (other than Manchester City players of course), instructions, tactics etc?

From the looks of things, they seem to set up in a 433(2) but I've never been able to use that to play similar to how City do.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• emylonas
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 16
    They defend in 433 and attack in WM. WM is a formation that was very popular in the 50s and Guardiola revived... not available in FIFA though.

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-2-2-3
  • SJR440
    emylonas wrote: »
    They defend in 433 and attack in WM. WM is a formation that was very popular in the 50s and Guardiola revived... not available in FIFA though.

Ah I see. So there's no way to make this using a formation in the game but by tweaking instructions and tactics?
  • emylonas
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    SJR440 wrote: »

Ah I see. So there's no way to make this using a formation in the game but by tweaking instructions and tactics?

I believe that not even CTs would do the trick for the offense... At least I wasn’t able to make it happen... maybe in FIfa 20? :)
  • SJR440
    SJR440 wrote: »

I believe that not even CTs would do the trick for the offense... At least I wasn’t able to make it happen... maybe in FIfa 20? :)

Damn, that's a shame.

Yes hopefully so!
  • Greezyweezy101
    554 posts An Exciting Prospect
    So you hope to imitate real football in FIFA 19? Good luck with mate
  • SJR440
    So you hope to imitate real football in FIFA 19? Good luck with mate

Tell me about it :D
  • limjitwe
    6103 posts Big Money Move
    You can try to play a very very high line with team press. I met an opponent who played 4231 with team team press and off side I assume. His depth was probably max.

I had a very very hard time getting to his box as his centre backs and full backs could always get to my attackers. It was frustrating to play against yet I didn’t feel bad about losing as it was a different style.

I’m not sure what his exact tactics were but I hope I’m explaining it correctly.
  • Kove
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 16
    Look up the Henry Barca tactics video from Sky for the basics

Start in 433 2. Drop the cdm back, stay wide while defending. push the fullbacks to join the attack make the wingers stay wide.

The dual 8s are the issue but putting them on free roam should work
  • Renamed123456
    3605 posts National Call-Up

My attempt...

LMRM stay forward.

That mimics a 433(2) shape but played a bit better I found.

433(2)

The difficult thing is with City... Sane and Sterling are their wide players who often get in front of goal and score. Their 2 CM offer more in build up and creation.

In FIFA, especially if you put your wingers on stay wide, your CM will be attacking goal more than them.

I'm literally trying to copy real city. I believe @Safehands84 is as well. I think we both have the problem that our wingers aren't getting in front of goal as much as we'd like.

I also find the problem if you leave CM on balance the formation doesn't move forward enough.

Maybe the 3 of us can join forces in this never ending quest to achieve Pepfection.
  • Renamed123456
    I'm Ping around with 451 at the moment because it plays really fluidly. My problem with it is my CAMs play too advanced and often too wide.

I think the ideal is somewhere between 4141, 433(2), and 451
  • Renamed123456
    Are there any pro players who mimic Pep ¿?
  • Renamed123456

I remember watching this live. Good video and explanation. But a little unclear what's going on in some places.
    (If this was '18 you could use Organised build up, free form final third)

• Kove
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    Kove wrote: »
    Look up the Henry Barca tactics video from Sky for the basics

Start in 433 2. Drop the cdm back, stay wide while defending. push the fullbacks to join the attack make the wingers stay wide.

The dual 8s are the issue but putting them on free roam should work

This is that :) definitely worth a watch
    I remember watching this live. Good video and explanation. But a little unclear what's going on in some places.
    (If this was '18 you could use Organised build up, free form final third)

• emylonas wrote: »

I noticed this as well. The great Herbert Chapman was one of the last ones to use this to great advantage. Guardiola is brilliant to use this ancient formation because modern teams don't know how to react.

I actually tried this back in Fifa 13 or 14 when you could still create and edit your own formation on regular seasons. It was wayyyy too attacking and obviously back then you couldn't switch back to 433 on defence and I had to stay in the WM.
  • Safehands84
    3021 posts National Call-Up

My attempt...

LMRM stay forward.

That mimics a 433(2) shape but played a bit better I found.

433(2)

The difficult thing is with City... Sane and Sterling are their wide players who often get in front of goal and score. Their 2 CM offer more in build up and creation.

In FIFA, especially if you put your wingers on stay wide, your CM will be attacking goal more than them.

I'm literally trying to copy real city. I believe @Safehands84 is as well. I think we both have the problem that our wingers aren't getting in front of goal as much as we'd like.

I also find the problem if you leave CM on balance the formation doesn't move forward enough.

Maybe the 3 of us can join forces in this never ending quest to achieve Pepfection.

I copied City tactics from seasons playing 433(2) I had prime moments Hernandez n loan for 7 games he made some crazy runs to open space but problem I have is my wingers weren't really involved enough in the game. The possession side was excellent but I don't get enough men in and around the box to hurt better players I still have it set as one of my tactics as I normally start like this way as feel how my.opponents will play, it's good against high pressing as the wingers hug the touch line also against 442. At the minute i start like this then switch to 3atb when I need a goal.

Recently been trying 4321 coping exactly the same set up it the closes I've came. However I've abandoned it now and only use as my ultra attack set.up when I need a goal. Problems I found with it, both fullbacks play as wingers, they both bomb on at the same time and the middle cm pushes up too leaving you very exposed to the counter attack. In rivals this week (skill points 1700-1800) it's worked well but so far this WL I tried it in all 9 of my games so far and had to change in all but 1 because it simply didn't work. What I found is far to open especially against 433(4) destroyed on the flanks . The middle of the pitch far too bunched , no space and easy to high press and nulify my attacks. I have tried to tweak tatics full backs stay back 2 of the cms back but then you give up the possession and it just becomes a counter attacking formation.
    I will revisit it and try some more tweaks as it how I want to play and best fits the players I want to use. It could be my personally in midfield that the problem. I'm using prime Keane middle which is fine, Carniball Talisca who is ok, nothing special but is similar to KDB and carnival Can. Can average to be honest doesn't do much tried him with engine rubbish, switched to Maestoro to up his long shots as he was getting lots of chances , seems bit better . I need a green link to carinabll Bonucci which is way I'm sticking with him for now, I may put UEFA cup Parolo back in as he look more suited to the David Silva role.