Why it feels good to quit FIFA :D

kj08
308 posts Sunday League Hero
I won’t go into details on game breaking features on Fifa 19. There are limitless posts on that. What made me quite was the no fun part. One can still have fun from a broken game, in fact the whole SBC/player upgrades was something that kept me coming back to Fifa each year (and I will come back in 20 again) and that’s pretty much all to it I think and that started degrading this year as well with all these crazy promotions. The gameplay itself is no fun anymore.

I am 37 year old and always been an e-sports gamer involved in online only gaming. I think the whole aspect of competing with another human being and skill-clash is a major driving force for me to enjoy online gaming and for last few years, I almost stopped pc gaming for this reason and that and most of my online gaming was limited to Fifa. I was not enjoying losing this much and always thoughts its probably my age or something that I keep cribbing for loss all the time in Fifa.

I switched to APEX legend and getting back to FPS after 7-8 years and trying to completely new genre like battle royale, you can imagine my first 50 games. I was struggling to get even a kill per game but man, not once I felt the game was unfair to me or I had any rage. Every single loss, I was getting better at the game and I can see there is certain skill set I need to acquire to get better and its happening.

I realized that is exactly what Fifa lacks to be even called an e-sports game. There are way too many factors which are random. Tackles, rebounds, glitches, players out of position, the pressure at 45/90, kick off glitch with team randomly switching to off side trap, extended extra time that pushes for late equalizers. EA keeps denying about any additional features existing that we don’t know about but here is a simple proof that we all can see. Have you noticed how the ball refuses to go out of bounds almost all the time and slows down near the bounds? That itself confirms that game engine has the ability to interfere game physics and alter the outcome of a particular event. Why even deny it?

The whole developer studio seem to be working in the wrong direction every year. EA advertises “Better attacking intelligence” and when it doesn’t work, you will see a patch that secretly makes defenders dumb. The amount of AI involvement is beyond belief for something that is being promoted as an e-sports game and wins are not satisfying while losses are even more frustrating.

Almost every game and all the goals looks the same and this feels more like Fifa on 8-bit console where you had few tricks up your sleeve those work every time. It was fun then, but not in 2019. I think the UT mode is sole feature that’s keeping players glued and that has nothing much to do with the gameplay itself.

I almost wanted to try 11v11 pro clubs because well, there wont be any AI involvement apparently but I have heard EA has given up on that game mode .. probably because it doesn’t bring them as much money as UT packs. We get it that a company needs to make money blah blah, but the problem with Fifa/EA is that more they make off UT, they focus all their resources only towards making more money with absolute disregard to the games those makes them money in first place. Bronze/Silvers were so much fun and community has been asking for it for long. We have even seen through weekly objectives that the game can still be somewhat fun through bronze and silver squads but then well, it doesn’t increase packs sales so why bother?

Anyway, TL;DR… if you find yourself raged after a loss and thinking you didn’t deserve the loss, probably you are right and there is nothing wrong with that thinking. Fifa is not a fair game at all. If you are sitting on the fence, quitting the game and picking up any other game with less AI involvement might bring back all the fun in gaming. I don’t expect gaming is supposed to make you raged most of the time. In fact I believe that even intense brutal games could help in softening up your aggression but Fifa is bringing more anger and frustration out of normal people and its not healthy. It was absolutely worth the switch for me. I don’t miss Fifa at all and well, I will come back in 20 again being an optimist. Though I might not drag myself till march to quit if EA continues the same trend next year.

Comments

• Skinner249
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's essentially a football game with broken passing, tackling and shooting...

If a game like this was made 10 years ago there would have been uproar and it would have been pulled from the shelves, why it's now deemed acceptable in the modern day, I have no idea.

Every year the game gets worse, focusing more on pack sales over gameplay. Every game mode is dead now. If I was you I wouldn't even try a hand at 11 vs 11, you come across the most self righteous people in those competitive leagues, even clubs with friends is a chore because it plays more like tennis with constant chipped through balls, probably more frustrating than UT gameplay to be honest.

The only hope we'd all have is if EA died it's death, but that ain't going to happen because weird people that complain about the game will spend ££££ on every promo, therefore banging extra nails into the gameplay coffin.
  • Vichy360
    84 posts Park Captain
    Well said OP
  • Renamed123456
    3953 posts National Call-Up
    I genuinely hate the SBCs and all that nonsense.

I just want to be able to use players I like, create my ideal formation/squad take my skills mano a mano against another player and have a fair outcome.

And ultimately I want to score from beautiful plays.

I find it perplexing that most people buy this game just to do SBCs - buy trading cards or something
  • FootyFootyFootball
    2583 posts Fans' Favourite
    Opened up this thread to a wall of text and expected the same old rant, but I completely agree OP. Well said.
  • Wi1son73
    2010 posts Fans' Favourite
    100% agree too!
  • dregana08
    3761 posts National Call-Up
    I wish people can just quit quietly. Why the song and dance? If you don't like the game, then just quit. I play games all the don't, don't enjoy them so stop playing them.
  • kj08
    dregana08 wrote: »
    I wish people can just quit quietly. Why the song and dance? If you don't like the game, then just quit. I play games all the don't, don't enjoy them so stop playing them.

Gamers talk about games they play, positive and negative. It's funny, you are on a gaming forum complaining about other people making a post about the game.
  • Empyrium7
    2761 posts Fans' Favourite

it's called feedback.

EA should know why people are quitting. they should know that the game is broken and not fun to play.
  • BiigDee
    4332 posts National Call-Up
    Myself I feel if your quitting then it should be posted here and let them have your grievances. I’m sure it won’t make a difference to them but at least we can see more and more walking away and it’s good to know I’m not the only 1 who gets the crap.

What I can’t get my head around is with the game being so bad why nothing has been done about it, it fails at esport events but why are these players not making more of a fuss about it because they earn peanuts
  • dregana08
    3761 posts National Call-Up
    kj08 wrote: »

Gamers talk about games they play, positive and negative. It's funny, you are on a gaming forum complaining about other people making a post about the game.

Maybe we should have a sub-section labelled 'Reasons why I quit' or 'complaints'. I come here for Fifa related discussion for teams, player reviews etc. Every other thread is someone complaining about the game in some manor. Just can't get my head around the fact that people complain non stop then continue to play.

Kudos to you for giving it up.
  • Juked By Neymar
    3455 posts National Call-Up
    Haven't played much in weeks and it's been a revitalizing experience of my mental and physical health as well as my social life.
  • lukey200
    795 posts Semi-Pro
    im finding other games - in the same boat - the game is awful
  • kj08
    Haven't played much in weeks and it's been a revitalizing experience of my mental and physical health as well as my social life.

Lol
  • Goldenbowles
    559 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The argument goes both ways, I don’t understand those that get excited about the next SBC or how can I improve my team threads when the game play is so horrendous?
    It almost makes those posts irrelevant?
    I’m pretty sure most people would take improved game play over another SBC 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • xlr8r
    68 posts Park Captain
    edited March 14
    I completely agree OP. Well said. Im 51 and have been until Fifa 19, a serious Call of Duty player. I quit Fifa for a while after Fifa 18 as it was burning a hole in my pocket!, went back to COD, then started Fifa 19 (to my regret). Will he hanging up the XBOX controller for good after Fifa 19 and going back to Pc gaming , COD (even though its full of cheaters!) , i simply enjoy it more than I do with getting raged in Fifa through no fault of my own.... (the game simply has too many issues!)
  • BSDShoes
    1601 posts Play-Off Hero
    I haven't played for a few weeks now, not missing it either. I sold up my squad last week and am sitting on 600K coins and I doubt I'll ever find myself spending it. Been focusing more on simracing and PUBG again.
  • CharlieC
    6130 posts Big Money Move
    When the gameplay is smooth its still a great game but that's fairly rare. There is definitely an issue in the coding that makes it inconsistent, add to that server issues and its terrible mostly.