edited March 1
    Apollo wrote: »
    Pickford, Butland, Pope
    Walker, Rose, Trippier, Young, Alexander-Arnold
    Stones, Maguire, Jones, Cahill
    Delph, Henderson, Dier
    Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Sterling, Lingard
    Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford, Kane

This was the squad taken to the World Cup. Was thinking about this earlier, and was wondering what people thought was our best squad now? I think that quite a bit has changed selection wise since the World Cup, there are quite a few changes that could be made. Ignoring injuries for a minute, and just focusing on the best squad, what do people think is our best 23? There are obvious changes to make, like Shaw, Gomez and Sancho coming in, but there are more as well that could justify a place.

The changes I'd make are:
    Shaw in, Young out
    Gomez in, Cahill out
    Sancho in, Welbeck out
    Rice in, Delph out.
    Smalling in, Jones out.
    Heaton in, Butland out

Pickford, Pope, Heaton,
    Walker, Shaw, Rose, Trippier, TAA
    Stones, Gomez, Maguire, Smalling
    Rice, Henderson, Dier
    Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Sterling, Lingard, Sancho
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

What do you guys think of that squad? Anyone missing out that I've forgotten? :sweat_smile: (Each line is only grouped by position, they're not in order of selection or something)

We have some the world's best young players right now and need to make better use of them. I'd kick out pointless old players like Smalling, Dier and Henderson. They aren't good enough now and they're only going to get worse. May as well bring in players like Longstaff, Maitland-Niles and Holding, who are already better and have room for improvement. Besides that, Trippier has been poor all season and doesn't deserve a place in the squad. Wan-Bissaka has been one of the best full-backs in the league and deserves his place. Would probably sooner select Chilwell than Rose and Wilson than Vardy too.

Something like this for me

Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Walker, Trent, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Chilwell
    Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Holding
    Longstaff, Maitland-Niles, Rice, Loftus Cheek,
    Alli, Sterling, Sancho, Lingard,
    Kane, Rashford, Wilson

Heaton
    Walker-Gomez-Stones-Shaw
    Rice-Maitland-Niles
    Sterling-Kane-Sancho
    Rashford
  • Kellnerr
    2512 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 1
    Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Maguire, Gomez, Stones, Walker, Dier
    Trent, Shaw, AWB, Chilwell
    Alli, Henderson, RLC, Rice, Longstaff
    Sterling, Sancho, Lingard
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

If Southgate continues with 3 atb (not a big fan personally), I would like to see something like this
    Heaton
    Gomez-Stones-Maguire
    Trent-Henderson-Alli-Shaw
    Sterling
    Kane-Rashford

Good options off the bench too with Sancho, Lingard and RLC. Thoughts?

• Apollo
    14367 posts Has That Special Something
    edited March 1
    G000ner wrote: »
    Pickford, Butland, Pope
    Delph, Henderson, Dier

This was the squad taken to the World Cup. Was thinking about this earlier, and was wondering what people thought was our best squad now? I think that quite a bit has changed selection wise since the World Cup, there are quite a few changes that could be made. Ignoring injuries for a minute, and just focusing on the best squad, what do people think is our best 23? There are obvious changes to make, like Shaw, Gomez and Sancho coming in, but there are more as well that could justify a place.

Shaw in, Young out
    Gomez in, Cahill out
    Sancho in, Welbeck out
    Rice in, Delph out.
    Smalling in, Jones out.
    Heaton in, Butland out

Pickford, Pope, Heaton,
    Rice, Henderson, Dier
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

What do you guys think of that squad? Anyone missing out that I've forgotten? :sweat_smile: (Each line is only grouped by position, they're not in order of selection or something)

We have some the world's best young players right now and need to make better use of them. I'd kick out pointless old players like Smalling, Dier and Henderson. They aren't good enough now and they're only going to get worse. May as well bring in players like Longstaff, Maitland-Niles and Holding, who are already better and have room for improvement. Besides that, Trippier has been poor all season and doesn't deserve a place in the squad. Wan-Bissaka has been one of the best full-backs in the league and deserves his place. Would probably sooner select Chilwell than Rose and Wilson than Vardy too.

Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Kane, Rashford, Wilson

Heaton
    Walker-Gomez-Stones-Shaw
    Rice-Maitland-Niles
    Sterling-Kane-Sancho
    Rashford

I said above Wan-Bissaka was just a mistake on my part, I forgot about him in writing my post that was all. I'll edit that post now to avoid further confusion. I think Longstaffs selection will rightly come but I reckon it's probably slightly too soon for him. He's done amazingly for Newcastle, he looks class. It's only a matter of time until he gets in the squad. I think he could do with a little more senior experience first
  • G000ner
    4086 posts National Call-Up
    Pickford, Butland, Pope
    Delph, Henderson, Dier

Shaw in, Young out
    Gomez in, Cahill out
    Sancho in, Welbeck out
    Rice in, Delph out.
    Smalling in, Jones out.
    Heaton in, Butland out

Pickford, Pope, Heaton,
    Rice, Henderson, Dier
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Kane, Rashford, Wilson

Heaton
    Walker-Gomez-Stones-Shaw
    Rice-Maitland-Niles
    Sterling-Kane-Sancho
    Rashford

I said above Wan-Bissaka was just a mistake on my part, I forgot about him in writing my post that was all. I'll edit that post now to avoid further confusion. I think Longstaffs selection will rightly come but I reckon it's probably slightly too soon for him. He's done amazingly for Newcastle, he looks class. It's only a matter of time until he gets in the squad. I think he could do with a little more senior experience first

Sorry I got distracted and hadn't refreshed the page before I posted. Yeah, it's a fair point on the experience thing. I just think the sooner we get players like Henderson out the squad, the better.
  • Apollo
    Pickford, Butland, Pope
    Delph, Henderson, Dier

Shaw in, Young out
    Gomez in, Cahill out
    Sancho in, Welbeck out
    Rice in, Delph out.
    Smalling in, Jones out.
    Heaton in, Butland out

Pickford, Pope, Heaton,
    Rice, Henderson, Dier
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Kane, Rashford, Wilson

Heaton
    Walker-Gomez-Stones-Shaw
    Rice-Maitland-Niles
    Sterling-Kane-Sancho
    Rashford

Sorry I got distracted and hadn't refreshed the page before I posted. Yeah, it's a fair point on the experience thing. I just think the sooner we get players like Henderson out the squad, the better.

No worries. I wouldn't mind Holding instead of Smalling tbh, I take your point about getting rid of the older players who haven't been good enough, and Holding looked like he was progressing nicely before his injury iirc?
  • G000ner
    Pickford, Butland, Pope
    Delph, Henderson, Dier

Shaw in, Young out
    Gomez in, Cahill out
    Sancho in, Welbeck out
    Rice in, Delph out.
    Smalling in, Jones out.
    Heaton in, Butland out

Pickford, Pope, Heaton,
    Rice, Henderson, Dier
    Kane, Rashford, Vardy

Heaton, Pope, Pickford
    Kane, Rashford, Wilson

Heaton
    Walker-Gomez-Stones-Shaw
    Rice-Maitland-Niles
    Sterling-Kane-Sancho
    Rashford

No worries. I wouldn't mind Holding instead of Smalling tbh, I take your point about getting rid of the older players who haven't been good enough, and Holding looked like he was progressing nicely before his injury iirc?

Yeah, was our best center back until he got injured. Came at a really bad time for him. 4th centre back could equally be Lascelles (as someone mentioned). Forgot about him tbh.

Also completely forgot about Harry Winks. Don't really rate him particularly, but he'll probably get into the team until he's replaced by someone better
  • Apollo
    Good to see Southgate was at the Burnley - Palace game, hopefully means he's keeping a close eye on Wan-Bissaka and Heaton
  • Kellnerr
    Squad for the next internationals

Heaton, Pickford, Butland
    Maguire, Stones, Walker, Keane, Tarkowski
    Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Shaw, Rose, Chilwell
    Henderson, Dier, Delph, Rice
    Alli, Loftus-Cheeck, Barkley
    Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Wilson
  • Apollo
    Very harsh on Wan-Bissaka that is.
  • G000ner
    Awful squad
  • Apollo
    edited March 13
    There are obvious bad choices in there (like not giving AWB a go, Keane picked, etc), but the most bizarre one in that squad for me is Delph, why would you put someone in the squad who is barely playing?

Edit: just building on this, who scored says the last time he played more than 60 minutes in the PL was Boxing day :|
  • Kellnerr
    There are obvious bad choices in there (like not giving AWB a go, Keane picked, etc), but the most bizarre one in that squad for me is Delph, why would you put someone in the squad who is barely playing?

Edit: just building on this, who scored says the last time he played more than 60 minutes in the PL was Boxing day :|

There's not too many alternatives for Delph tbh. Ward-Prowse deserves a chance if he keeps up his recent form though. It really makes no sense picking 3 full-backs from one side, but AWB could at least have been in the squad instead of Rose (counting Walker as CB).

Btw, obviously he has been injured for a long time, but we forgot about Ox in our squads :sweat_smile:
  • Apollo
    Kellnerr wrote: »

There's not too many alternatives for Delph tbh. Ward-Prowse deserves a chance if he keeps up his recent form though. It really makes no sense picking 3 full-backs from one side, but AWB could at least have been in the squad instead of Rose (counting Walker as CB).

Btw, obviously he has been injured for a long time, but we forgot about Ox in our squads :sweat_smile:

Winks? At least he's playing quite regularly for Spurs. Ward-Prowse is another like you say

Oh yeah :sweat_smile: As we were picking squads ignoring injuries he definitely should have been in, completely forgot about him
  • wth22
    9717 posts League Winner
    Heaton
    Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice - Henderson
    Sancho - Sterling - Rashford
    Kane

Hope this is the starting XI, or at least that front 4.
  • Shshj
    4034 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 13
    Not impressed with that squad at all. Trippier, Keane and Delph are all awful picks considering Coady, Wan-Bissaka and Ward-Prowse have been overlooked.

Southgate said that both Winks and Lingard would be in the squad if they were not injured.
  • Shshj
    4034 posts National Call-Up
    wth22 wrote: »
    Heaton
    Rice - Henderson
    Kane

Alli starts over Rashford/Sancho for me. Push Sterling out to the wing with either of those two on the other side.

Rice and Henderson should be fine against the better sides but against teams that we expect to beat I think we can be more adventurous. You could stick RLC in there or go for a 4-3-3.
  • Apollo
    wth22 wrote: »
    Heaton
    Rice - Henderson
    Kane

Surely TAA at RB given Trippier's poor form?

Plus Southgate favours 4-3-3 and 3-5-2, they're usually the only systems he plays, so one of the front 4 have to miss out in all probability.

Hopefully this as a result:
    Heaton
    TAA - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice
    Alli - Loftus-Cheek
    Sterling - Kane - Rashford

Alli is not ideal given he's just back from injury, but from that squad there's no one else I'd rather play there, don't think Barkley has been in good form at all. It's a shame Sancho has to miss out in my team, but one of the four had to in order to play how Southgate wants to.
  • Dandingooo
    1065 posts Professional
    If England play 3-5-2. It’s a disgrace that Coady isn’t in the squad, over the likes of Keane + Tarkowski.
  • Apollo
    Dandingooo wrote: »
    If England play 3-5-2. It’s a disgrace that Coady isn’t in the squad, over the likes of Keane + Tarkowski.

I agree that Coady does warrant it over those two, but I think we'll play 4-3-3, we have done for quite a few games now. It seems 3-5-2 is Southgate's alternate option now rather than his main plan
  • Dandingooo
    1065 posts Professional
    Dandingooo wrote: »

I agree that Coady does warrant it over those two, but I think we'll play 4-3-3, we have done for quite a few games now. It seems 3-5-2 is Southgate's alternate option now rather than his main plan

Yeah If it’s 4-3-3 Coady should be no where near the squad. Hasn’t played CB in a 4 formation before, not saying he couldn’t but it’d be a big ask st international stage. I’m hoping next season we’ll use some form of 433 against lower sides so be nice to see if Coady can handle that
  • Tornado31619
    16577 posts World Class
    Rashford is also pulling out of the England squad. Nothing new though, he’s just returning to Manchester for treatment.
  • Tornado31619
    16577 posts World Class
  • Apollo
    Why on earth are Henderson and Dier starting? One at most is enough. Rice should be playing, but if Southgate didn't want to play him today he didn't need to start both of the others. Especially in a game like this. Disappointing from Southgate
  • Apollo
    Rice is by far our best holding midfielder. Would have preferred Southgate to get him in the team as soon as possible
  • Apollo
    edited March 22
    Bit late, but what a goal that was, really well worked
  • Apollo
    Classy from Sterling
  • Apollo
    edited March 25
    Thoughts on what team Southgate will pick today? Some team news: Dier's out after his injury, CHO confirmed to be starting, Sancho, Henderson and Alli face fitness tests.

Barkley impressed after coming on the other day, think from this squad he deserves to start on the back of that, hoping Southgate will play something like this:
    Pickford
    Walker - Keane - Maguire - Chilwell
    Rice
    Barkley - Alli/Ward-Prowse
    CHO - Kane - Sterling

Ward-Prowse if Alli doesn't pass his fitness test. Thoughts?

Edit: Just seen this, great news, he rightly should be starting games going forward.

• Apollo
    edited March 25

Just the one further change to the team I suggested, Rose in for Chilwell.
  • Pxul_
    7749 posts League Winner
    What a player Hudson Odoi is