It's a card game, not a sports game

oneskyworld
1026 posts Professional
edited February 21
Ever wondering why your defenders stop running or marking, or even dodging the balls, or why your goalkeeper make an extravaganza side jump just to fly away from the coming ball?

Well, I have a theory. What ever you do, it doesn't matter. The fate of the ball is already decided the moment it left the opponent player's foot, there is nothing you can do to change it.

I'm not talking about scripting, just the way I suspect how the coding works underneath. My guess is instead of real-time calculating all the players input and make the animation to do what your instructions are, the algorithm only calculated once when the opponent hits the ball. The variables may include certain status of the opponent striker, your adjacent defenders and goalie's status, some environmental variables, and random number generator.

And it's already been decided whether this ball will be a goal or not, all the animations afterwards are just to accommodate this result.

That's why you see so many anti logic, anti physics moves your defender and goalie pulled out.
The essence of that theory is ironically, card matters, better players matters, your control doesn't.

Comments

• Janscharie
    286 posts Sunday League Hero
    Some truth there. Unfortunally, we are not allowed to talk about the truth.
  • Clanceypants
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    I was thinking this the other day with hitting the post. I don't think you would hit the post anywhere near as often if it wasn't coded in the way you suggest.
  • oneskyworld
    1026 posts Professional
    I had this realization after witnessed a goal conceded yesterday. My RB is standing in a perfect position to intercept the ground pass from the left side across the goal. He was in between the passing line of opponent striker and the ball. he and the striker started to run at the same time, and after running four steps, he still standing at the same spot, the opponent striker only used two small steps and made a easy tap-in.
    And my RB is Nelson Semedo.
  • bberger
    5165 posts Big Money Move
    Erm.. how else do you think that works? Of course the result needs to be calculated that way.

That's not the problem with this game though..
  • delpieroalex
    402 posts Sunday League Hero
    Its true. The commentator actually talk about the keeper collecting the ball from a long through ball once the ball fly off my player foot and in the air. This shows that they had already “fix the after events” once my input is press.
  • oneskyworld
    1026 posts Professional
    bberger wrote: »
    Erm.. how else do you think that works? Of course the result needs to be calculated that way.

If this is the way result calculated, apparently they have lousy algorithm.
    And I don't believe it needs to be that way. It's just that this method will reduce the need of extra data transfer and calculation. Kind of a compromise between the smoothness of the game and accuracy.
  • BiigDee
    4339 posts National Call-Up
    Quite a few times I’ve had the commentary say what’s happened before it’s happened in game. Wether that’s delay or not I’m not sure
  • Clanceypants
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    BiigDee wrote: »
    Quite a few times I’ve had the commentary say what’s happened before it’s happened in game. Wether that’s delay or not I’m not sure

I find it more annoying when I've been all over a team all game and they get one scrappy goal and the commentator says something along the lines of 'they finally got the goal they've deserved the whole game'
  • IxToMxI
    5676 posts Big Money Move
    Janscharie wrote: »
    Some truth there. Unfortunally, we are not allowed to talk about the truth.

Because you can’t handle the truth
  • Renamed123456
    4611 posts Big Money Move
    They'd send 5-0 to my yard if I posted this.
  • Heartstone?
  • bberger
    5165 posts Big Money Move
    bberger wrote: »

If this is the way result calculated, apparently they have lousy algorithm.
    And I don't believe it needs to be that way. It's just that this method will reduce the need of extra data transfer and calculation. Kind of a compromise between the smoothness of the game and accuracy.

Yeah, but what difference does it make? You literally can't do anything when the ball has gone away. The game has already calculated if the keeper can reach it, any player can intercept it etc.

What's wrong with the game is what happens inbetween. Those rebounds for example..
  • It makes you wonder what is still in the code because very little has changed when you think about it. Remember morale cards, formation cards etc from earlier versions? They were removed from the visuals but are they still in the code and, more importantly, are they still playing a part?

They need a new FUT badly but they have been content with papering over the cracks for years now and it's obvious because it feels more broken with each passing year.
  • oneskyworld
    1026 posts Professional
    I'm a CS major, so it's kind of interesting for me to try to understand how these works.
    I'm at the point in the game, that I can just laugh at it when these things happen.
    The animation is just here to deceive you from the real mechanism. I guess the pros are trained to treat the game as a set of if then rules, not a sports event.