Could we ever see a monthly subscription for UT?

Scrub39
81 posts Park Captain
With micritransactions under the microscope and the scrunity directed towards FP the general consensus seems to be that massive changes are going to have to be made in future to the way packs etc. work across all versions of Ultimate Team.

Hypothetically, if FP were to be banned what do you think would be EA's next move? There's no way they could afford to operate at the same level they are currently whilst taking such a massive hit in revenue (and that level isnt high in the first place given the poor quality of games they churn out).

Could we see EA start to charge for ultimate team as DLC like they did previously? Either a one off charge or in the form of monthly subscription with monthly packs included?

Would you pay extra for ultimate team if this were to happen? I probably wouldn't and would use it as a reason to give up UT for good (wishful thinking!)

Certainly interesting times ahead, would be good to hear other thoughts on this.

Comments

• AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    If it was like £10 a month, and you didn't need to buy the base game too, and that made FP disappear then I would happily pay that.
  • Scrub39
    81 posts Park Captain
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    If it was like £10 a month, and you didn't need to buy the base game too, and that made FP disappear then I would happily pay that.

I never thought about it not requiring the base game. I reckon it would be highly unlikely they'd do that but would definitely get me on board
  • Ruffy
    475 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited February 12

If FP get banned they will likely just cancel UT.

People spend thousands to maybe get messi in a pack . EA wont sell him for 20 bucks all of a sudden.
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Scrub39 wrote: »

I never thought about it not requiring the base game. I reckon it would be highly unlikely they'd do that but would definitely get me on board

PES already do it. If you just want their version of FUT you can download it for free.
  • Fab
    17825 posts World Class
    Can't see it happening, personally.
  • RA22Y
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I think this is the way they will go. I can also see the game being on a rolling basis each season with more dynamic players whose rating goes up and down with their real life form, and maybe some new attribute cards which will last for a limited period of time to upgrade players stats.

So, when a player you own gets in TOTW they get boosted for that week to a TOTW player, and after the week they go back to their base card (but with a small boost because of their form).

Attribute cards for a TOTW style boost for a week could be introduced which you can add to any base player which does the same - a 1 week large boost to stats then 3 more weeks at maybe half the increase.

POTM would last for a month and TOTY / TOTS for 12 months. The value of these cards would naturally reduce as time passes because there's less time left on their increase in stats.

The added benefit of this is that you could pick a player early in the year or season and stick with him all year as he gets weekly and monthly boosts then you get your TOTS player.

EA should limit clubs to a certain number of gold/silver/bronze players in total to stop hoarding of cards.

Coins for playing games to the end should be increased and the rewards structure flattened to make the ******* in the game less important if it goes against you.

I think if they go to a subscription service they will need to move away from the current model where you start the year with zero and end the year with a fully stacked team and millions of coins.

The number of coins you have will need to become such that you'll never want to (or need to) build up a massive amount of coins.
  • alex1987
    5512 posts Big Money Move
    FUT mobile has a different way of earning money.

You have your regular earned rewards like coins and players through in-game missions and such.
    But in the 1v1 mode, you can pay an extra subscription to be able to get more rewards. Sort of like a season pass.
    For every other mission, like winning matches or other achievements you get an extra bonus.

The monthly subscription could change into(for example) a base sub(10 a month, a silver sub(15 a month) and a gold sub(20 a month).
    There will be other ways for them to get the profit up to where it was.
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    RA22Y wrote: »

I think this is the way they will go. I can also see the game being on a rolling basis each season with more dynamic players whose rating goes up and down with their real life form, and maybe some new attribute cards which will last for a limited period of time to upgrade players stats.

So, when a player you own gets in TOTW they get boosted for that week to a TOTW player, and after the week they go back to their base card (but with a small boost because of their form).

Attribute cards for a TOTW style boost for a week could be introduced which you can add to any base player which does the same - a 1 week large boost to stats then 3 more weeks at maybe half the increase.

POTM would last for a month and TOTY / TOTS for 12 months. The value of these cards would naturally reduce as time passes because there's less time left on their increase in stats.

The added benefit of this is that you could pick a player early in the year or season and stick with him all year as he gets weekly and monthly boosts then you get your TOTS player.

EA should limit clubs to a certain number of gold/silver/bronze players in total to stop hoarding of cards.

Coins for playing games to the end should be increased and the rewards structure flattened to make the ******* in the game less important if it goes against you.

I think if they go to a subscription service they will need to move away from the current model where you start the year with zero and end the year with a fully stacked team and millions of coins.

The number of coins you have will need to become such that you'll never want to (or need to) build up a massive amount of coins.

I would love them to follow H2H. All cards get upgraded and downgraded, as well as only relevant stats changing. How they do upgrades in FUT is a joke.
  • Ruffy
    edited February 12
    Its so strange people want this game to have a sub... so rather than paying 60 bucks for the base game and then pay nothing people in here want to get ut for free and pay 20 bucks a month... lol.
  • IAIK7
    3433 posts National Call-Up

I wouldn't pay £120 a year for FUT. I'd rather just buy the base game and not spend anything. I think they'd lose a lot of customers if they did that.
  • Jeyj38
    1237 posts Professional
    Ruffy wrote: »
    Its so strange people want this game to have a sub... so rather than paying 60 bucks for the base game and then pay nothing people in here want to get ut for free and pay 20 bucks a month... lol.

Nothing about this community makes sense lol.
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    IAIK7 wrote: »

I wouldn't pay £120 a year for FUT. I'd rather just buy the base game and not spend anything. I think they'd lose a lot of customers if they did that.

They either need to make it much less P2W or do what PES does and release FUT for free (with no need for base game).
  • Ruffy

They either need to make it much less P2W or do what PES does and release FUT for free (with no need for base game).

How is pes making money with their fut?
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Ruffy wrote: »

How is pes making money with their fut?

They still have loot boxes and stuff too.