Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• AEsey
    5980 posts Big Money Move
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    AEsey wrote: »
    Martial is better than Salah imo
    The goal he scored against Fulham was way better than the goal Salah scored against spurs last year (which somehow ended goal of the season iirc)

May be the worst take I’ve ever seen here and that says a lot.

Thanks very much,
    What an accolade for me personally, i mean you pool fans are all for the individual awards. In all seriousness tho I can see that Salah has been brilliant in the last couple of years for you but I prefer Martial
    Cant believe people actually cant see how good his goal at the weekend was, if it was salah the press would sill be going on about it
    @Ahmer50x would you swap tony for salah then if you had the chance to

• Mike
    9939 posts League Winner
    Think I'm missing something with Martial. United fans make him out to be like he's the next Pele or something.
  • AEsey
    Another thing guys, he's my favourite player of cause its gonna be a blurred vision
    :D :D :D No need to take it to heart
  • Pxul_
    7680 posts League Winner
    Mike wrote: »
    Think I'm missing something with Martial. United fans make him out to be like he's the next Pele or something.

For once I agree with you.

Nothing but a btec mane
  • Mike
    9939 posts League Winner
    Another thing guys, he's my favourite player of cause its gonna be a blurred vision
    It wasn't solely directed at you, I see it quite often by loads of different people
  • AEsey
    It wasn't solely directed at you, I see it quite often by loads of different people

I mean I can see why people may not think he's a top draw player as he does have some consistency concerns but that's mainly due to not having long runs in our team
    Whenever he's had a good run of games in the last couple of seasons he's been great for us
  • AEsey
    Pxul_ wrote: »

For once I agree with you.

Nothing but a btec mane

Disagree with that one
  • Ahmer50x
    17103 posts World Class
    edited February 11
    The goal he scored against Fulham was way better than the goal Salah scored against spurs last year (which somehow ended goal of the season iirc)

Thanks very much,
    What an accolade for me personally, i mean you pool fans are all for the individual awards. In all seriousness tho I can see that Salah has been brilliant in the last couple of years for you but I prefer Martial
    Cant believe people actually cant see how good his goal at the weekend was, if it was salah the press would sill be going on about it

Tony is one of my favorite players so my heart says no, but my head says yes.

Tony has the potential to be as good as Salah is now, but Salah is already there.
  • G000ner
    4054 posts National Call-Up
    Martial is a much better player than Mane as far as I'm concerned. So much more ability
  • AEsey
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Thanks very much,

Tony is one of my favorite players so my heart says no, but my head says yes.

Tony has the potential to be as good as Salah is now, but Salah is already there.

Fair enough
  • Pugzilla
    15789 posts World Class
    G000ner wrote: »
    Martial is a much better player than Mane as far as I'm concerned. So much more ability

What do the stats say?
  • tilen11
    4937 posts Big Money Move

What do the stats say?

That he is a much better player and has much more ability
  • Ahmer50x
    17103 posts World Class

What do the stats say?

Martial has 9 goals, 2 assists in 1279 mins...116 mins/goal contribution.

Mane has 12 goals, 1 assist in 2024 mins....155 mins/goal contribution.
  • Mike
    9939 posts League Winner
    I really don’t know how Mane only has 1 assist. What has he been doing all season?
  • tilen11

What do the stats say?

Mane has played 104 games for Liverpool and scored 46 goals, if you count appearances and goals from Soton he has played 179 Premier league games and scored 71 goals.
    Martial has played 163 games for United and scored 47 goals.

Martial doesnt come close so far. He is a good player, can become great but he is not on Manes level atm.
  • tilen11
    I really don’t know how Mane only has 1 assist. What has he been doing all season?

Ridin solo
  • Ahmer50x
    17103 posts World Class
    edited February 11
    tilen11 wrote: »

What do the stats say?

Mane has played 104 games for Liverpool and scored 46 goals, if you count appearances and goals from Soton he has played 179 Premier league games and scored 71 goals.

Martial doesnt come close so far. He is a good player, can become great but he is not on Manes level atm.

Mane at Liverpool in the Premier League:

35 goals, 9 assists, 6479 mins (147 mins/contribution)

Martial at United in the Premier League:

33 goals, 17 assists, 7053 mins (141 mins/contribution)

Martial's numbers are better. Then you also consider that he arrived at United as a 19 year old with no experience outside of France and had to play for LvG and Mourinho, while Mane arrived at Liverpool as a 24 year old with 2 years of experience in the league already at Southampton.

They are damn close, but Martial has been marginally better. Plus, Mane is the finished product at his age. Martial's still young and will improve over the next 2-3 years. This is best exemplified by how his stats this season are way better than Mane, while being similar over time.
  • G000ner
    4054 posts National Call-Up

What do the stats say?

A lot of Martial's appearances have been off the bench and his minutes have been limited. Martial has scored more goals in more appearances, but I would expect less overall minutes. It's also worth noting that Martial has played most of his games under negative managers and United have generally struggled to score goals whilst he's been there. None have utilised Martial effectively.

I don't really know how stats can prove "ability", but they definitely suggest Martial has been better this season. It's also worth noting that most of Mane's goals are deflected, offside or tap-ins. He has an average of 3 unsuccessful touches a game compared to Martial's 1.7, suggesting the difference in technical ability. Martial is a step-up above Mane, and Mane is incredibly lucky to play for such an attacking team that plays to his strengths.
  • Ahmer50x
    17103 posts World Class
    Mane:

2014-15: 2135 mins, 10 goals, 3 assists, 164 mins/contribution
    2015-16: 2608 mins, 11 goals, 6 assists, 153 mins/contribution
    2016-17: 2248 mins, 13 goals, 5 assists, 125 mins/contribution
    2017-18: 2207 mins, 10 goals, 7 assists, 129 mins/contribution
    2018-19: 2024 mins, 12 goals, 1 assist, 155 mins/contribution

Martial:

2015-16: 2632 mins, 11 goals, 4 assists, 175 mins/contribution
    2016-17: 1558 mins, 4 goals, 6 assists, 155 mins/contribution
    2017-18: 1584 mins, 9 goals, 5 assists, 113 mins/contribution
    2018-19: 1279 mins, 9 goals, 2 assists, 116 mins/contribution

Stats would suggest Mane has peaked and that Martial passed Mane last season as a player and has sustained that form.
  • tilen11
    edited February 11

What do the stats say?

A lot of Martial's appearances have been off the bench and his minutes have been limited. Martial has scored more goals in more appearances, but I would expect less overall minutes. It's also worth noting that Martial has played most of his games under negative managers and United have generally struggled to score goals whilst he's been there. None have utilised Martial effectively.

I don't really know how stats can prove "ability", but they definitely suggest Martial has been better this season. It's also worth noting that most of Mane's goals are deflected, offside or tap-ins. He has an average of 3 unsuccessful touches a game compared to Martial's 1.7, suggesting the difference in technical ability. Martial is a step-up above Mane, and Mane is incredibly lucky to play for such an attacking team that plays to his strengths.

It doesnt matter how he scores his goals. Half of Ronaldos 600 goals are tap ins and penalties yet he is the best goal scorer and the best player in the world for lots,

Average of 3 unsuccessful touches with more minutes. If you go down that route Martials unsuccessful touches would increase with more playing time.

He has been deployed as a winger mostly despite having said to LVG his preferred position is central. Imo he wont play as a central ST for United as long as United have Rashford who is doing a fantastic job there and I doubt Ole would change Rashfords position back to winger. Martial will probably never be utilised "effectively" at United, unless Ole goes for 2 ST formation.

I think Ole will stay. I mean so far he is doing a spectacular job and imo deserves at least a full year? What are United fans thoughts on this?
  • tilen11
    Mane:

Martial:

Stats would suggest Mane has peaked and that Martial passed Mane last season as a player and has sustained that form.

Id like to compare both as starters. Its much more accurate in that case.
  • Ahmer50x
    17103 posts World Class
    Mane:

Martial:

Looking only at league matches where they played >60 mins:

Martial: 153 mins/goal or assist over the last 3 seasons
    Mane: 136 mins/goal or assist over the last 3 seasons

This season:

Martial: 107 mins/contribution in matches playing >60 mins
    Mane: 153 mins/contribution in matches playing >60 mins

Same argument still stands about them being somewhat similar historically and Martial having improved to surpass Mane over recent times.
  • tilen11
    edited February 11
    Mane:

Martial:

Looking only at league matches where they played >60 mins:

Martial: 153 mins/goal or assist over the last 3 seasons
    Mane: 136 mins/goal or assist over the last 3 seasons

This season:

Martial: 107 mins/contribution in matches playing >60 mins
    Mane: 153 mins/contribution in matches playing >60 mins

Same argument still stands about them being somewhat similar historically and Martial having improved to surpass Mane over recent times.

Ill say he is better when he plays a full season as a starter and has better stats after. If that happens and Martial wont have better stats, most United fans will say that he wasnt utilised properly anyway.
  • SDoofus
    4600 posts National Call-Up

Salah reaching Messi levels of superstardom.
  • wth22
    9693 posts League Winner
    Not sure why Liverpool would even think of selling Salah unless he absolutely 100% wants out, regardless of whatever fee. He might not be worth 200-250m in a vacuum, but he's worth far more than that to Liverpool.
  • tilen11
    wth22 wrote: »
    Not sure why Liverpool would even think of selling Salah unless he absolutely 100% wants out, regardless of whatever fee. He might not be worth 200-250m in a vacuum, but he's worth far more than that to Liverpool.

+1
  • SDoofus
    Only just seen that the Mane vs Martial debate was struck up again. All I can say is... alright, there's a case for both players, however, Martial is their best winger, Mane is only our second best ;)

Mo Salah
    Mo Salah
    Running down the wing
    Salah la la la la la la la
    Egyptian king
  • SDoofus

My God.

First of all, that goal against Spurs was way more impressive than Martial's goal against Fulham. Salah had way less space and did it against much better defenders in a much harder game.

Secondly, Martial isn't fit to lace Salah's boots.
  • SDoofus
    edited February 12
    Also, Mane scored 20 and assisted 8 last season in the PL/CL and that's with a month out injured, plus 3 game suspension for kicking Ederson in the head.

Let's wait until Martial can produce something similar...
  • Pxul_
    7680 posts League Winner
    SDoofus wrote: »

My God.

First of all, that goal against Spurs was way more impressive than Martial's goal against Fulham. Salah had way less space and did it against much better defenders in a much harder game.

Secondly, Martial isn't fit to lace Salah's boots.

Martial is no where near the best player in the world, the rest look average compared to our lord and saviour Mo Salah❤️