WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• limjitwe
    6102 posts Big Money Move
    Good luck guys for this WL. Didn’t enter this weekend’s one due to Lunar New Year.
  • MortiferVaughan
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    First 10 games in and I've only one 5. It's been awful.

Something's up with the gameplay. It's way more slow, I seem to hit the crossbar about 5 times a match, and I swear to god that they've nerfed Ibra. He doesn't feel like the same player.

Hope everyone else's WL is going better
  • BGAlum
    801 posts Semi-Pro

Something's up with the gameplay. It's way more slow, I seem to hit the crossbar about 5 times a match, and I swear to god that they've nerfed Ibra. He doesn't feel like the same player.

I am thinking of a playing is slumping, you have to rest him, or replace him for a bit. It is almost as if the game counts the number of games the player had been in and drops their ability after a specific number. Some just a small amount, others a bit more noticeable.

Play with a different team in a diffent mode, single player season or something, then try to go back to your regular team.

Sometime, we as players just get too used to players too.
  • Andyzim
    75 posts Park Captain
    This is definitely a thing, no matter how much ea might deny it. For the first 10 or so games, a new player in the squad will make amazing runs, incredible passes and fantastic shots. Then suddenly they disappear. It's clear why it happens if you understand how fut makes money for ea. It's a shame we have to put up with it just to play a football game with official licensing.
  • FrankLampard
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Went 19-11 lost the last game for gold 1 , gotta keep the head up and go again
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Had a great start on Fri and won 4 of the first 5 games and 5 of the first 7, but things just went south on Sat. I just couldn’t get out of the “win 1 or 2 then lose 1 or 2” cycle. My record went from 5-2 to 7-7 and eventually to 12-12. Luckily I got a break afterward, won the next 2 games to secure G3 and had a shot at G2 with 4 games left. Won the next one but lost the next two 0-1 and 1-2 to put this week’s WL to an end.

Having played WL for many weeks, at this point I just feel like it doesn’t matter what I do. If I have a bad start I will get a 7-8 game winning streak at some point. And if I have a great start I will then lose a bunch of game all of a sudden. Eventually I will have around 10 wins in 20 games and get my 14th win around game 28th. There are so many things out of players’ control. All those kick-off, 45th min, 90th min, and 120th min goals, players can’t even do the simplest thing in controlling the ball, etc. what frustrates me the most this week is how much I get penalized for doing manual defending. Does ea just want us to let the AI defend, and also just pass the ball in the back field starting from the 80th min or earlier just to hold the lead!!??
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Got a bit bored at home and decided to do Rashford POTM. Its a different colourful card to add to the squad and had a lot of untradeable high rated cards. Think in the end it will have cost me around 170k which isn't too bad.

Only one big pull from the packs - Hugo Lloris who went straight into one of the other SBCs, although I still have the rare mega pack to go...waiting on IF Lacazette to sell so I can but the final player I need for the last SBC.

A lot of my team is (once Rashford joins) first owner which is pretty cool - only 4 of my squad have been bought off the market.
  • Chavez76
    1850 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ended with 16 wins :( got to G3 with 5 games to go, lost 1st and then won two quite easily, and of course, lost the last 2 both in extra time ..

rankings: G3 / G3/ G3/ G3/ G2/ G3

somewhat consistent at least :)
  • MortiferVaughan
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited February 10
    Only got to play yesterday, so have to settle for Silver 3 (I think).
    So with that I've just sold all the players in my club that weren't untradables. With most making profit, especially SIF VVD who went for 480k when I bought him for 385k. Made 575k so far, with 70 players still selling.

Now to just decided to either do an icon, or league SBC, and see if I pack something great or just stop playing.

Team is now this http://imgur.com/a/wW3YFjz

With some other untradable golds and silvers not worth mentioning.

Club's now down to 73 players, and 40 of them are loan cards haha
  • Crazymundo
    91 posts Park Captain
    Another WL draws to a close. Different week......same result. Another G3 finish. If I was a gambling man i’d bet on me getting the same result next week.

Definitely feel the patch has improved the gameplay. It hasn’t made me any better but no longer being the victim of identical finesse goals every game. Biggest gripe is that my players abilities seem to be unpredictable game to game. Also kick off goals are starting to irritate me. Conceded way to many over WL. I know attempt to scythe my opponent down when they kick off to try and prevent it.

Team wise....things much the same. Done the Nedved SBC to add to my icon gang. Next step is to upgrade defence. Marcel Desailly is the next person on my shopping list.

Keep it up Novices.....I believe in you (even if nobody else does).......
  • iRusty_yo
    3328 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 10
    Going from my last weeks high of 21-9 I finished this week with 19-11 which is still a good result but feel a bit frustrated as I lost 4 games where I was 2 goals up at half time.

I believe if I manage to hold my nerve I can push for elite. This morning I was 11-7 and miraculously I went on to win 8 games in a row only to lose my remaining 4 games to park the bus and counter tactic :(

Squad wise I ended up selling eusabio as he was good but I needed an aerial threat and picked up cr7.. only to sell him as he was just rubbish for me and ended up using my last weeks red pick (Aguero)

He’s actually a decent card, never really gave him a chance before but over the course of this WL he has bagged me 23 goals and 20 assists in 23 games. Very similar output to Eusabio. Team is looking like this atm:

YfAeVQA.jpg

With the eusabio proceeds I ended up pumping 2 million into various cards and my transfer pile is now full of IF’s, UCL Live cards etc.

Won’t be able to play next weeks WL as I need to focus on my exams and as such got a need to take time out and rest from the WL madness.

Let’s hope TOTW is packed next week and we get blessed in our red picks :)
  • Jafferchamp
    28 posts Last Pick at the Park
    This is my team. I started playing in December but for the FIRST TIME in 8 WL's I've got GOLD 3!

https://easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/?showoffId=f8T6dlEVnPRuH:FFA19PS4
  • aladdin
    648 posts An Exciting Prospect
    finished gold 2. sold lineker and got neymar in. what a player
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    Another week and another G2 in last game (yes with 5,3 mil Ronaldo`S I stay at my level - 16/17 wins record).
    Very quick gameplay this week.
    My players not make runs at all (0 goals from fast LCAM or RCAM runs).
    Tons off kick-off goals against me and only two for me.
    Bad passing in simple situations.
    If I faced with gold-squads tackle radius of opponents middfielders extremly better.

Looks like it was another patch this week and not week before when TimFin went to hell.

My packed 90 "phenomenon" absolute disappointment. Basic/Deadeyу - doesnot metter. 90 rated, 2,1mil price, alone striker and only 30% of 1on1 chanses with goal. Really?!
    I will give him another chance only because it is my first packed Icon and it fits my philosophy for this year with Real Madrid past|present|futere. But.. Vinicius aggressively knocking at my door.
  • Racingeye1
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Weekend off for me as Mrs eye wasn't at work,
    Having seen various threads and reading everyone's comments I decided that no matter what team you have I'm gonna finish silver 2/1
    So sold everyone sellable did shed loads of sbc and im gonna be rocking 2 teams from now on, all untradable and all using some players you never see.
    Main team

Ruffier
    IF Lala lenglet RTTF Mathieu Mendy
    SBC Doucoure
    SBC Thauvin not decided on LM yet
    FS Guendouzi
    SBC Gomis Lacasweaty

Second team is a brazillian thing with SBC oscar FS Joelinton POTM Paulinho Potm Lucas futswap jean jesus

will be trying out in rivals and then heading to WL to finish Silver 2 again!!
  • DFC1983
    631 posts An Exciting Prospect
    3rd WL this FIFA 19 for me.

1st finished Silver 2 (8-14), last Silver 1 (11-12) this time i got to Silver 1 (11-10) although feel like I could have got a few more wins had I had more time to play.

I do notice a big difference between playing home/away even though I only had like 4 home games this time. Playing away is so laggy and delayed almost unplayable at times.

Wont get another chance to play WL now until early/mid march. Hopefully the next patch will make things better by the time I get on it again.
  • EricVanDerek
    601 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Got to 6 wins and left it there this weekend.
    Didn't have time to play enough to go for S1, and the difference between S3 and S2 isn't that big.

That said, even with my brand new Prime Best (from the SBC) in the team, I didn't really enjoy it this WL.
    Maybe I was just bored / frustrated at every team being so very defensive, and being able to sprint around the whole match without any impact on stamina / performance.

Highlights of this WL:
    - playing a 72 rated Silver team, who brought on CR7 after they went 2-0 down (and disconnected at 4-0 down)
    - finding myself facing 11 opposition players in the final third, even though I was 1-0 up half way through the second half
  • EricVanDerek
    601 posts An Exciting Prospect
    A link to a well-written critique of the current state of FIFA, if you want something to read over your mid-morning (or mid-evening) coffee :

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2819255-fifa-19-re-review-how-ea-broke-its-promising-game.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

It covers many of the issues many of us in this thread regularly get frustrated about:
    - patches that aren't properly thought out, so cause subsequent problems
    - OP AI defending / the foolishness of manual defending
    - P2W in FUT
    - kick-off goals / glitches / general weirdness

One personal frustration it doesn't cover is the (re-)broken stamina mechanic, that lets you sprint around in defence with an attacker without it impacting stamina (and thence performance).

Interested to hear your thoughts...
  • Andyzim
    75 posts Park Captain
    They also don't talk about the state of the servers and highlight the inconsistent gameplay. I played two rivals games yesterday morning after being away all weekend. I am so sick of the op ai defending that I've decided to not play at all for a few days and enjoy some other games instead. I just can't enjoy playing something which feels so unfair any longer. No one should be able to win a game with 5 tackles in 90 minutes, it's ridiculous.
  • Andyzim
    75 posts Park Captain
    Is anyone else putting themselves through the grinder this weekend? I knew I would have time to play a few games, probably not all of them though, so I started with a couple this morning.

I'm happy with my team at the moment:
    433(4) like so:

HL Dembele FB Ibra 88 Best
    Prime Keane 89 Cruyff RTTF Kondogbia
    Alba Ramos Varane FB Juanfran
    Courtois

I've decided I'm not good at drop back, sitting back and counter attack play so I refuse to join the rest of the sheep and I'm playing a higher defensive line, trying to win the ball back further up the pitch. We'll see how well this goes. So far I'm 3-3 after the first 6 games.

Already dealing with the BS - the second game I lost 5-1 despite my opponent getting a red card in the 6th minute, me missing a penalty and then cruyff tripping over his own feet from 6 yards out with a completely open goal in front of him, which would have put me in the lead.

• Mako_Sulu
    edited February 15
    Andyzim wrote: »
    Is anyone else putting themselves through the grinder this weekend? I knew I would have time to play a few games, probably not all of them though, so I started with a couple this morning.

I'm happy with my team at the moment:
    433(4) like so:

HL Dembele FB Ibra 88 Best
    Prime Keane 89 Cruyff RTTF Kondogbia
    Alba Ramos Varane FB Juanfran
    Courtois

I've decided I'm not good at drop back, sitting back and counter attack play so I refuse to join the rest of the sheep and I'm playing a higher defensive line, trying to win the ball back further up the pitch. We'll see how well this goes. So far I'm 3-3 after the first 6 games.

Already dealing with the BS - the second game I lost 5-1 despite my opponent getting a red card in the 6th minute, me missing a penalty and then cruyff tripping over his own feet from 6 yards out with a completely open goal in front of him, which would have put me in the lead.

I've taken a bit of a gamble and redeemed my points for this weekend. Only have till 3pm on Saturday to play and I hate playing on Friday but hopefully I can squeeze in 11 wins!

Been enjoying playing Rivals this week since getting POTM Rashford, he has 9 goals in 8 games so hopefully he can carry that on through the weekend!

POTM Rashford
    TIF Pepe - Zola - SBC Gnabry
    Baresi - Pogba
    Alaba - Fabinho - Van Dijk - IF Tete
    IF Donnaruma

Keeping an eye on any potential crash due to SBCs this weekend as I want Mbappe to replace Pepe - the 3* weakfoot lets me down too much.
  • Andyzim
    75 posts Park Captain
    edited February 15
    I hate playing on Fridays too. Currently going through the usual cycle of losing every other game, which generally is stuttering framerates, players standing still and out of position, jogging around in mud, hitting the post and giving away penalties for challenges I didn't make.

Predictably sitting at 7 wins, 14 games played so far, the only reason I am continuing is because I'm actually getting a morsal of enjoyment from playing the best, most creative and interesting fifa I ever have managed.
  • Mako_Sulu
    Andyzim wrote: »
    I hate playing on Fridays too. Currently going through the usual cycle of losing every other game, which generally is stuttering framerates, players standing still and out of position, jogging around in mud, hitting the post and giving away penalties for challenges I didn't make.

Predictably sitting at 7 wins, 14 games played so far, the only reason I am continuing is because I'm actually getting a morsal of enjoyment from playing the best, most creative and interesting fifa I ever have managed.

This is how my WL usually pans out, a few winning and losing streaks before I invariably end up 15-15.

So far though I am 1-0 B)
  • iRusty_yo
    3328 posts National Call-Up
    Not playing this weekend lads, good luck to you all!
  • Mako_Sulu
    1-1, lost a tight game in extra time...

Mbappe is slowly creeping down, was one on the market for 205000 just now. Just don't know how much more he will drop
  • aladdin
    648 posts An Exciting Prospect
    worst ever start for me. lost 4 in a row. done for today :s
  • Mako_Sulu
    Picked up Mbappe for 200k and things have gone as expected really. 5-6 after this evening's games. Hopefully can get another 6 wins tomorrow morning.

My Rashford and Torreira have both been upgraded which is nice, Rashford has been solid so far and maintained a goal a game ratio. Torreira is on the bench but really seals up the midfield when he comes on.
  • maximilson
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Matchmaking is a joke. Im 8-2 and after a short break I find myself against godlike teams (and players). Had 6 games to scrape that 14th win but once again EA's **** **** me. Im done with WL.
  • Gaz7Mac
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    boring as ****

played 15 matches every single one against 4231.
  • lastfifa
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero
    Is some novice up for a friendly later today.. need that swap player for 100k pack :)