What is the most balanced formation?

IAIK7
1966 posts Fans' Favourite
Obviously every formation has advantages and disadvantages to it, but is there one that seems to have the best balance between attack and defence? I'm currently using 4231(2) and have been doing so for a while. But it's becoming really stale now. It's good for when you're leading however, very tough once you've gone behind. I'm currently thinking that the 442 is the way forward.

Comments

• goalsneak
    8 posts Ball Boy
    edited February 8
    Most balanced 4141 imo
  • IAIK7
    goalsneak wrote: »
    Most balanced 4141 imo

Seems a little defensive to me. And also, isn't the striker cut off a little from the rest of the team?
  • sonnyfilth
    3742 posts National Call-Up
    You'd think a 433 2 if you can make the attack work
  • IAIK7
    sonnyfilth wrote: »
    You'd think a 433 2 if you can make the attack work

That might be another option. It's definately the only 433 variation I'd consider with, maybe the 433(5).
  • AliasMaurice
    1897 posts Fans' Favourite
    It really depends on your play style. The balance part of it will come from how the tactics are set along with player instructions and then the player itself. Work rates ,stats like attack positioning and aggression make alot of difference.
    As to whether players play their position or push up too far.

352 works great for balance with the right players. Using really attacking full backs on 7 chem in wide midfield or wingers with high/High work rates or who can defend like cuadrado.

If you don't like 3 at the back 4132, basically 442 with a cdm is excellent with the right players.

It's a game just try things, experiment. That should be the fun of the game.
  • Lackosweat
    4947 posts Big Money Move
    Flat 442 for me.

The problem is for that formation to be actually good in game, your 2 CMs must be Gullit and Vieira. TOTY Kante is not a bad shout at all.
  • IAIK7
    It really depends on your play style. The balance part of it will come from how the tactics are set along with player instructions and then the player itself. Work rates ,stats like attack positioning and aggression make alot of difference.

352 works great for balance with the right players. Using really attacking full backs on 7 chem in wide midfield or wingers with high/High work rates or who can defend like cuadrado.

If you don't like 3 at the back 4132, basically 442 with a cdm is excellent with the right players.

Lackosweat wrote: »
    Flat 442 for me.

The problem is for that formation to be actually good in game, your 2 CMs must be Gullit and Vieira. TOTY Kante is not a bad shout at all.

I was thinking about going down the 442 route with this a the team. I'd be using tactics and player instructions from the 442(2) thread. Ofcourse this could easily be switched to the 4132 aswell.
    20190207-170141.jpg
  • Boysie91
    6959 posts League Winner
    41212 (2)
  • IAIK7
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    41212 (2)

Tried it before and absolutely hated it. I felt like it had no width whatsoever. But this could have been because of player work rates.
  • Dinksy
    1795 posts Play-Off Hero
    yeah flat 442 like. Need good CMs though and yours look decent enough
  • boekkie
    962 posts Professional
    edited February 8
    4411 post patch
  • xXCAMARAXx
    1707 posts Play-Off Hero
    4222...?
  • sanjay17
    406 posts Sunday League Hero
    5212 with full backs on balanced attack

Narrow attack options - check
    Wide attack optiond - check
    3 CBs at back to stop counter - check
  • sanjay17
    406 posts Sunday League Hero
    sanjay17 wrote: »
    5212 with full backs on balanced attack

Narrow attack options - check
    Wide attack optiond - check
    3 CBs at back to stop counter - check

The reason I prefer 5212 to 41212(narrow) is the obvious wide attacking option.
    If you have fb dani alvez at rb, this is a perfect formation
  • Satch85
    948 posts Professional
    Enjoyed 4132 for a long time, and tend to bounce between 5212/4411 as well, can’t seem to get on with 433s as much, for me wide men tend to get more involved as LM/RM this year, especially with effectiveness of back post crosses
  • Roc_Xel
    367 posts Sunday League Hero
    4312 !!
    542 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I like my 4321. (I play the same formation for years)
  • gagolive77
    48 posts Last Pick at the Park
    @1337 what's your settings?
  • Gazhunt1981
    182 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    10-0-0
  • SomeNextGuy
    1358 posts Professional
    4-3-2-1 is working well for me.
  • Nibbs66
    131 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    What on earth would you want a balanced formation for? You just need tactics that flood the box at either end, formation is irrelevant
  • justguess
    182 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    3-5-2 for me, as long as you have tall LM/RMs with high defensive work rate. Really nicely balanced.
  • Jonboyparker
    4585 posts National Call-Up
    4222 is a beauty. Having my best WL start. Hit 11-4 yesterday. Might play again tonight
  • Seandimes
    1156 posts Professional
    442(2) for me
  • Lewis9UTx
    796 posts Professional
    4222 is a beauty. Having my best WL start. Hit 11-4 yesterday. Might play again tonight

Was thinking about trying this formation.. how is it going forward mate?
  • Jonboyparker
    4585 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 9
    Lewis9UTx wrote: »

It’s great. It’s mainly my strickers scoring (Ibra and Aguero). The wide cams give a lot of options for creativity. I have my cams ok default so they bridge the gap.

I’ve only used 4222 this WL (standard CT and attack CT). Ive been strugglinb with narrow formations this week and the 4222 means I can get width Witt my cams and still have 2 strikers.
  • IAIK7
    IAIK7 wrote: »

Flat 442 for me.

I was thinking about going down the 442 route with this a the team. I'd be using tactics and player instructions from the 442(2) thread. Ofcourse this could easily be switched to the 4132 aswell.
    20190207-170141.jpg

**** you, pay to win! Can't wait for everywhere to do the same as Belgium and ban micro transactions, ruining the game for players who have played for 15 years.

Flat 442 for me.

20190207-170141.jpg

**** you, pay to win! Can't wait for everywhere to do the same as Belgium and ban micro transactions, ruining the game for players who have played for 15 years.

I've never bought FP. Just played the game and done the odd bit of trading. Mov along if you're prone to jealously by looking at average squads.

What b end haha hes just saying the truth ...move along melt

How childish. If you're unable to trade, there's no point in slating others for it.
  • IAIK7
    Lewis9UTx wrote: »

It’s great. It’s mainly my strickers scoring (Ibra and Aguero). The wide cams give a lot of options for creativity. I have my cams ok default so they bridge the gap.

I’ve only used 4222 this WL (standard CT and attack CT). Ive been strugglinb with narrow formations this week and the 4222 means I can get width Witt my cams and still have 2 strikers.

I was also looking in the 4222. It seems very attacking though. Although only slightly more so than the 442(2).
  • EA_Rtas
    502 posts EA Moderator
    Alright folks, keep it on topic I've had to remove some posts in here for being rude and off topic. Keep it constructive and polite or I'm going to have to lock the thread