Squad Battle question (now annoyance)

Comments

• Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    Pfft after all that effort an 81 rated TOTW Wendt. You couldn't make this up, really
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    BGAlum wrote: »
    Pooter wrote: »
    Meh, not going to make E2 this week.

With one hour to go, I've got only 35k this week and its slippy fast. Had to play Pro AI this week with some spattering of World Class. Can only remember playing one Ultimate AI, and about two Legendary AI this week. Not good that they are upping the ante with the AI without telling us

I also see a lot of the top tier didn't manage to get top points either, its normally 145K, this time its 124k points

With just under a hour left at 35k you might still make E2 since the cutoff is at 33,900 ish points. I still have 4 games left and at 36k and not playing the rest.

I did, I thought I was so low that it would never be enough
    Darfi02 wrote: »
    I get E1 every week with games to spare but I play all on world class or legendary. I don't think chem matters on your team I had no striker at one point so had to use Ibra on 4 chem. I don't use instructions very often if at all. I'm quite fast at passing not sure if that makes a difference. I think there are games you are destined not to win. Sometimes it's just infuriating.

Really? How do you do it then?
  • BGAlum
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    Pfft after all that effort an 81 rated TOTW Wendt. You couldn't make this up, really

But remember quite a few SBCs require TOTW player. Better to have one you may not want to keep.

• Pooter
    1260 posts Professional

But remember quite a few SBCs require TOTW player. Better to have one you may not want to keep.

Yeah but also those sbc need high ratings. I've got four, very low ratings. Highest 84
  • BGAlum
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    Gundogan, Sergi Roberto, and TOTW Poulson, so could be worse.
  • Zv1k0
    5867 posts Big Money Move
    Zv1k0 wrote: »

I have no idea how chemistry works or if even affects AI. Last year, Ultimate AI was boosted to 99 so it really didn't matter. It feels like it's the same this year, haven't checked though. And if it does matter, that only affects their stats, not tactics. And their stats probably don't matter because like I said, they are boosted/nerfed depending on the difficulty you play on.

@Zv1k0 not trying to be a **** at all, but you went from this to an absolute thr later post. The response above is the cause of my response.

Again, great player not doubt from the results. So if you do not know how it impacts the game, then saying it is an absolute that does not logically follow.

Anyhow enjoy your top tier rewards. Well earned.

Edit- J erkyminus the y is filtered? Lord this site is going to pieces.

It makes sense though if you think about it. I said that because I really have no idea. After thousands of games against Ultimate AI, I have no idea what chemistry does because I I haven't noticed the difference between 100 and 40. From that I can assume and I'm pretty confident when I say that it does nothing.
    FalconFan wrote: »
    Just being devil’s advocate here, but if you are only playing Ultimate as you have to in order to keep in the top 100 all the time, how you would know what those experience that play across the other difficulty levels experience?

Because I didn't born, boot up Fifa and start playing on Ultimate on first day. I went through all like everyone else. And it's not true. You don't need to play on Ultimate for top 100, especially after the patch.
  • Darfi02
    3413 posts National Call-Up
    Meh, not going to make E2 this week.

With one hour to go, I've got only 35k this week and its slippy fast. Had to play Pro AI this week with some spattering of World Class. Can only remember playing one Ultimate AI, and about two Legendary AI this week. Not good that they are upping the ante with the AI without telling us

I also see a lot of the top tier didn't manage to get top points either, its normally 145K, this time its 124k points

With just under a hour left at 35k you might still make E2 since the cutoff is at 33,900 ish points. I still have 4 games left and at 36k and not playing the rest.

I did, I thought I was so low that it would never be enough
    Darfi02 wrote: »
    I get E1 every week with games to spare but I play all on world class or legendary. I don't think chem matters on your team I had no striker at one point so had to use Ibra on 4 chem. I don't use instructions very often if at all. I'm quite fast at passing not sure if that makes a difference. I think there are games you are destined not to win. Sometimes it's just infuriating.

Really? How do you do it then?

I don't know I think patience, practice and concentration is a big part of it. Also just accept it when you lose and know your limits when picking difficulty. If a team isn't working for you make a new one I have two teams I consistently use and alternate between. I use one for the first two and the stronger one for the second two.
  • Zv1k0
    And another thing. Featured squad. Why is featured squad almost always by far the easiest game you play in whole week even though it's the hardest on paper? Again, probably because those celebrities don't bother with tactics/instructions.
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    I do, but it doesn’t seem to work. Last week I got beat
  • BGAlum
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    edited February 4
    And another thing. Featured squad. Why is featured squad almost always by far the easiest game you play in whole week even though it's the hardest on paper? Again, probably because those celebrities don't bother with tactics/instructions.

Probably so... The problem is we can’t copy the tactics if we copy the team and such after the game to see exactly to know. That would be nice to see.

I see too many random things in the game is all this year as opposed to last year to think tactics are the only factor. Both on my own teams AI and the AI of “computer generated teams” has some crazy things... more than expected if that makes sense.

The majority of games I see go south are due to individual performances too.

Without being on the EA dev team we can’t be 100% it is the only thing.
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    edited February 5
    I think the style of how you play the game. I'm beginning to question the way I've been playing for the last four weeks. It seems very lethargic at times. I'm trying to do tiki taka, and it seems like old men playing tiki taka instead

The problem about that, I've got no means to practice this at a lower level in FUT

My next batch of fours includes a team rated at 61, with chem at 22
    Post edited by Pooter on
  • BGAlum
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    If you play any of the single player season matches? Is is the same result?
  • Zv1k0
    I think the style of how you play the game. I'm beginning to question the way I've been playing for the last four weeks. It seems very lethargic at times. I'm trying to do tiki taka, and it seems like old men playing tiki taka instead

The problem about that, I've got no means to practice this at a lower level in FUT

My next batch of fours includes a team rated at 61, with chem at 22

The biggest mistake you can do against AI is tiki taka/fast build up. When you play against AI, imagine their players as octopuses. Seriously. If a pass you want to make is risky, you don't pass. This is not online where every pass goes through. Even slightly risky pass = no pass. Very slow build up is the way to go, even if it takes you 20 in game minutes to finish one attack. It's better than giving away possession because AI will punish you for it.
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    If you play any of the single player season matches? Is is the same result?

No and yes, because I switched formation and won a season
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    edited February 5
    I beat a team on Legendary AI 5-0. The team that I beat is rated 60 with 22 chem.....got a massive 2.5K

Now I have to face two teams rated 87, and a team rated 91....I will no doubt play PRO level on them because I doubt if I could win them matches on anything higher. I will let you know if I decided to play them higher

I think these TOTY cards are over powerful. Just need a Neymar and he will score out of no where
    Post edited by Pooter on
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    E3 already, and only the third day of Squad Battle. The question is now can I not only maintain this, but push further

Please EA, gimme easy teams to beat
  • BGAlum
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    E3 already, and only the third day of Squad Battle. The question is now can I not only maintain this, but push further

Yeah... that is would be nice. But since it is the luck of the draw, it is hard to compare how well people do...

I had a 63 rated team to play and got the nearly 3k in points. Should have played that one up on Ultimate in hindsight.

But ya just never know.
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional

Yeah... that is would be nice. But since it is the luck of the draw, it is hard to compare how well people do...

I had a 63 rated team to play and got the nearly 3k in points. Should have played that one up on Ultimate in hindsight.

But ya just never know.

Same with the team rated 60 for me
  • Hail oh @Zv1k0 , king of Squad Battles and ultimate authority on all things SB... :)

Thanks for your input, suggestions and tips - much appreciated.

At times I've felt low rated teams play way beyond their rating - I tend to just play them on Professional for a few more points, so it's not like I'm trying on a high level.
    Is this your experience, or do you think it's just me being crap and not working out the specific tactics / instructions that they're playing to?!?

Also do you find that games get tougher in the second half if you've scored or a few goals in the first half, or do you find it consistent throughout? I've had many games where I go 2 / 3 goals up at half time, but then struggle with the "comeback" in the second half (when I've not changed anything, and they don't appear to either...)

Thanks again
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    Hail oh @Zv1k0 , king of Squad Battles and ultimate authority on all things SB... :)

At times I've felt low rated teams play way beyond their rating - I tend to just play them on Professional for a few more points, so it's not like I'm trying on a high level.
    Is this your experience, or do you think it's just me being crap and not working out the specific tactics / instructions that they're playing to?!?

Also do you find that games get tougher in the second half if you've scored or a few goals in the first half, or do you find it consistent throughout? I've had many games where I go 2 / 3 goals up at half time, but then struggle with the "comeback" in the second half (when I've not changed anything, and they don't appear to either...)

Thanks again

I've heard that the AI gets rekt once you've scored a goal, but this isn't true of all cases. you have to watch out for a few cards that can obviously win a match with CPU AI even if you're 3-0 up, can turn it around for the CPU
  • Zv1k0
    Hail oh @Zv1k0 , king of Squad Battles and ultimate authority on all things SB... :)

A bit of both. Every AI team plays the same in attack. When you figure out how to stop them, it works against every team. In defence, some might be tougher to break down than others. I believe that's because of formation and tactics/instructions. So 100 chem 88 rated squad with 433 formation might be easier to beat than 70 rated 50 chem team with 4231 formation because everyone is set to come back on defence.

Thanks again

Games get tougher at exactly 75th minute. I don't know if that also happens if you are losing and on lower difficulties but it definitely does on higher difficulties and if you are winning/drawing. At 75th minute they start pressing. You will notice it if you are passing around at the back, wasting time. At 75th minute you won't be able to anymore. They will press you all the way and force you to give away the ball. There's also a glitch, after 75th minute, through balls don't always work because when you pass, the player who should make the run takes 1-2 seconds to start accelerating. That was in the game last year too and I don't believe it's a glitch but I think the game wants to force you to give away possession.
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    Wish we could see the teams we face on the companion app and our tactics so I could plan ahead in advance
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    Had a really hard team in SB. I guess it isn't really a Neymar thing, rather than my tactics and passing. Its kind of all of a mess. Can do so much better
  • Epasc1
    64 posts Park Captain
    @Zv1k0 sorry to be a nuisance as you've probably repeated it countless times, do you have any tips on tactics, how to defend against the crazy AI etc? Sometimes it feels like if the AI wants to score, it will do anything to score and it grates me.

I played SB every week on fifa 18, around the 75th min the AI would go all out attack if it was losing, meaning you could counter it at ease, this year it's everyone on drop back, all out press etc, what can I do to get through those tactics?
  • Zv1k0
    Epasc1 wrote: »
    @Zv1k0 sorry to be a nuisance as you've probably repeated it countless times, do you have any tips on tactics, how to defend against the crazy AI etc? Sometimes it feels like if the AI wants to score, it will do anything to score and it grates me.

I played SB every week on fifa 18, around the 75th min the AI would go all out attack if it was losing, meaning you could counter it at ease, this year it's everyone on drop back, all out press etc, what can I do to get through those tactics?

Control one of your midfielders and mark the middle of the pitch. Force them to the wings and cut passing lanes to the middle. Track back with your midfielders instead of going face to face with your defenders. Never touch your defenders. Let them get to your box and then again cover the middle. That will force them to shoot from tight angles from the edge of the box or cross. From that it will either be a corner or your ball. At corners move your keeper to the middle and cover first post with your tall defender.

After 75th minute you don't do anything different in defence. When you attack, you shouldn't hold the ball for too long with one player because they will press you and every other player you have will be marked. That will force you to give away possession. Fast build up and fast passing around their box works best after 75th mintue. Basically as far away from your goal as possible. And because they press you it's a bit easier to score. Not as easy as last year but it is. And if you already scored 5 goals for max points, try to get the ball to your winger at their corner flag and do drag backs till the end of the match. Sometimes it works from 75th to 90th, sometimes you lose the ball but when you get it back, repeat.
  • Epasc1
    64 posts Park Captain

Control one of your midfielders and mark the middle of the pitch. Force them to the wings and cut passing lanes to the middle. Track back with your midfielders instead of going face to face with your defenders. Never touch your defenders. Let them get to your box and then again cover the middle. That will force them to shoot from tight angles from the edge of the box or cross. From that it will either be a corner or your ball. At corners move your keeper to the middle and cover first post with your tall defender.

After 75th minute you don't do anything different in defence. When you attack, you shouldn't hold the ball for too long with one player because they will press you and every other player you have will be marked. That will force you to give away possession. Fast build up and fast passing around their box works best after 75th mintue. Basically as far away from your goal as possible. And because they press you it's a bit easier to score. Not as easy as last year but it is. And if you already scored 5 goals for max points, try to get the ball to your winger at their corner flag and do drag backs till the end of the match. Sometimes it works from 75th to 90th, sometimes you lose the ball but when you get it back, repeat.

Thanks for the tips mate, I appreciate it. Hoping to start getting Elite 1 more consistently
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional

Even though I didn't play many games on FIFA 18, I have noticed that on FIFA 19, the AI tends to pass like crazy, especially if you are at 0-0. And they generally do score at some point after, start passing like Barcelona tiki taka on steroids
  • Epasc1
    64 posts Park Captain

Even though I didn't play many games on FIFA 18, I have noticed that on FIFA 19, the AI tends to pass like crazy, especially if you are at 0-0. And they generally do score at some point after, start passing like Barcelona tiki taka on steroids

The stupid thing is, they were supposed to address this in a patch, which they clearly didn't do.
  • Many thanks @Zv1k0 - much appreciated.

Most of the time I just play on beginner - score 5 quick goals then leave it running - to get some points, so I usually hit G1. Occasionally if I've time I'll actually play against a lower rated team on Pro / WC, just to work on breaking down the AI.

I also can't believe that the coding in Online games is significantly different to that in SB, so knowing that, for instance, through passes aren't so effective after minute 75 if you're ahead is very useful knowledge when playing Rivals / WL.

That said, I'm not sure I'll change from manually using my defenders to defend - I understand that will have a significantly detrimental impact on my results, but results aren't everything...

In my set of 4 today, I automatically started a game against a 76 rated team on beginner.

It was only when the game was underway that I realised it was Mbappe in goal, and then 10 GKs in the outfield positions (3 gold, 1 silver, rest bronze). On the bench he had DDG, KDB, FB Baines, Rttf Sterling, IF Anderson ...

Felt rather stupid for not realising, and playing that team on Legendary.

Hope the rest of you playing SB "correctly" get drawn against that "team" again soon..
  • Pooter
    1260 posts Professional
    Many thanks @Zv1k0 - much appreciated.

Most of the time I just play on beginner - score 5 quick goals then leave it running - to get some points, so I usually hit G1. Occasionally if I've time I'll actually play against a lower rated team on Pro / WC, just to work on breaking down the AI.

I also can't believe that the coding in Online games is significantly different to that in SB, so knowing that, for instance, through passes aren't so effective after minute 75 if you're ahead is very useful knowledge when playing Rivals / WL.

That said, I'm not sure I'll change from manually using my defenders to defend - I understand that will have a significantly detrimental impact on my results, but results aren't everything...

In my set of 4 today, I automatically started a game against a 76 rated team on beginner.

It was only when the game was underway that I realised it was Mbappe in goal, and then 10 GKs in the outfield positions (3 gold, 1 silver, rest bronze). On the bench he had DDG, KDB, FB Baines, Rttf Sterling, IF Anderson ...

Felt rather stupid for not realising, and playing that team on Legendary.

Hope the rest of you playing SB "correctly" get drawn against that "team" again soon..

Not demeaning you in anyway, but you should at least try to up the levels to semipro. It will be more of a learning curve for you. Though I have lost games on semipro because they have either Ronaldo, Neymar or Messi, or all three of them. Not forgetting Mbappe. And the system doesn't give us any of those cards