Fifa Points aren’t available anymore in Belgium

Comments

  • Mic2904
    2555 posts Fans' Favourite
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Mic2904 wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If you REALLY believe this is gambling, how have EA been selling a gambling product to kids (3+ iirc?) for 10 years and they’ve never been called out and stopped for it?

    Funny that the Fifa community forum seem to know the laws and regulations better than the regulators themselves.

    Because no one has asked any questions about this and technically a 3 year CANNOT buy Fifa Points or Coins. They cannot own a CC or Bank account. That is not something you can blame EA for!

    Before you form an opinion about the forum users, you may want to think about the stuff you post 👍

    A 3 year old cannot have money to buy a card from game and then transfer it into Fifa points? A 3 year old can’t hold notes? Strange

    Right, this is now becoming a bit stupid, but even if that would be the case, I struggle to see how you can blame EA for doing this. How is a 3y old going to do this???
    I still believe it is impossible for a 3 year old, but I leave you with that... 😂

    At the end of the day, it is gambling... you may not think so and I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your reasoning though is.... lets be nice and polite: 'questionable' 😁
  • This thread is going to get good, going to put some popcorn on.
  • Keano
    20006 posts Club Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »
    This thread is going to get good, going to put some popcorn on.

    I'm going for a nap, i'll come back to entertain some more... or to a locked thread (most likely).
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If you REALLY believe this is gambling, how have EA been selling a gambling product to kids (3+ iirc?) for 10 years and they’ve never been called out and stopped for it?

    Funny that the Fifa community forum seem to know the laws and regulations better than the regulators themselves.

    They have on occasions, but not in the formality of a legal proceeding by the government/law etc.

    Could be a number of reasons, the tax they'll pay (whilst the gambling is made to look like it might not be to the bunch of you that'll defend EA till the end), it could be that it's gambling but it's a loophole.

    You're telling me that you'd be fine with a child just opening pack after pack wasting loads of money on this & not think it's gambling?

    The bit in bold is like that because you're also talking about it as if you know anything, hypocrissy at it's finest.

    I know I get exactly what I’d pay for. 30 rare players. If a child is opening pack after pack after pack I’d want to know where they’ve got the money from. As long as its not been stolen from parents etc then it’s no problem to me.

    It seems you are getting addictive and gambling confused. Purely because opening packs is addictive, it doesn’t mean it’s gambling. Nobody complained about it being gambling until last year pretty much. Before that it wasn’t a problem and yet the FP aspect hasn’t changed.

    Clearly we aren’t going to agree, I don’t think it’s gambling and you do, so it seems a pretty pointless argument. I guess this is exactly why it’s never been stopped as EA have been smart and trodden a fine line. Personally, they aren’t doing anything wrong and if you choose to spend thousands on Fifa, as long as it’s disposable income then go for it. But don’t moan when you don’t get ronaldo etc, just remember you paid for a pack containing what is described in the information tab
  • alex1987
    5902 posts Big Money Move
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Mic2904 wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If you REALLY believe this is gambling, how have EA been selling a gambling product to kids (3+ iirc?) for 10 years and they’ve never been called out and stopped for it?

    Funny that the Fifa community forum seem to know the laws and regulations better than the regulators themselves.

    Because no one has asked any questions about this and technically a 3 year CANNOT buy Fifa Points or Coins. They cannot own a CC or Bank account. That is not something you can blame EA for!

    Before you form an opinion about the forum users, you may want to think about the stuff you post 👍

    A 3 year old cannot have money to buy a card from game and then transfer it into Fifa points? A 3 year old can’t hold notes? Strange

    EA regulates payment to Credit cards, Paypal and bank accounts of which a kid can not own one. There is only so much EA can do.
    Regulations around lootboxes are new. Lots of games have removed them. 2K, for example, made their NBA2K shop unavailable in the Netherlands.

    It's not about knowing what you get or not. It's about being addictive and it needs regulations just like the casino does.
    Try going to the same casino a few days a week for the coming weeks. You will be called in for a talk.
  • Keano
    20006 posts Club Captain
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If you REALLY believe this is gambling, how have EA been selling a gambling product to kids (3+ iirc?) for 10 years and they’ve never been called out and stopped for it?

    Funny that the Fifa community forum seem to know the laws and regulations better than the regulators themselves.

    They have on occasions, but not in the formality of a legal proceeding by the government/law etc.

    Could be a number of reasons, the tax they'll pay (whilst the gambling is made to look like it might not be to the bunch of you that'll defend EA till the end), it could be that it's gambling but it's a loophole.

    You're telling me that you'd be fine with a child just opening pack after pack wasting loads of money on this & not think it's gambling?

    The bit in bold is like that because you're also talking about it as if you know anything, hypocrissy at it's finest.

    I know I get exactly what I’d pay for. 30 rare players. If a child is opening pack after pack after pack I’d want to know where they’ve got the money from. As long as its not been stolen from parents etc then it’s no problem to me.

    It seems you are getting addictive and gambling confused. Purely because opening packs is addictive, it doesn’t mean it’s gambling. Nobody complained about it being gambling until last year pretty much. Before that it wasn’t a problem and yet the FP aspect hasn’t changed.

    Clearly we aren’t going to agree, I don’t think it’s gambling and you do, so it seems a pretty pointless argument. I guess this is exactly why it’s never been stopped as EA have been smart and trodden a fine line. Personally, they aren’t doing anything wrong and if you choose to spend thousands on Fifa, as long as it’s disposable income then go for it. But don’t moan when you don’t get ronaldo etc, just remember you paid for a pack containing what is described in the information tab

    We won't agree no but as said above... in the lottery you know you're getting 6 numbers (like in fifa you know you're getting 30 players), but the luck is in... is it the right players/numbers that you want.

    See the fine line & how you can word it to sound either side of the spectrum?

    Anything that relies on luck & you don't know what you're getting is a form of gambling, because it's not guaranteed.

    You say 30 players is what you buy, I say the chance at a big player is what someone buys.
    Lottery you'd say you buy 6 numbers? - I say you buy at the chance to win millions
    Pokemon you buy 10 cards (or however many it is) - I say you buy at the chance of a shiny/rare/legendary or one of your collection you still need etc.
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    Keano wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    This thread is going to get good, going to put some popcorn on.

    I'm going for a nap, i'll come back to entertain some more... or to a locked thread (most likely).

    Yeah these end up dead horse getting beaten very quick. My take is this is a step in the right direction. FUT isnt going anywhere obviously but changes were needed and obviously EA wernt going to change on their own.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?
  • Jensonj67
    1668 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hope it dies
  • Antparry92
    20439 posts Club Captain
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If you REALLY believe this is gambling, how have EA been selling a gambling product to kids (3+ iirc?) for 10 years and they’ve never been called out and stopped for it?

    Funny that the Fifa community forum seem to know the laws and regulations better than the regulators themselves.

    They have on occasions, but not in the formality of a legal proceeding by the government/law etc.

    Could be a number of reasons, the tax they'll pay (whilst the gambling is made to look like it might not be to the bunch of you that'll defend EA till the end), it could be that it's gambling but it's a loophole.

    You're telling me that you'd be fine with a child just opening pack after pack wasting loads of money on this & not think it's gambling?

    The bit in bold is like that because you're also talking about it as if you know anything, hypocrissy at it's finest.

    I know I get exactly what I’d pay for. 30 rare players. If a child is opening pack after pack after pack I’d want to know where they’ve got the money from. As long as its not been stolen from parents etc then it’s no problem to me.

    It seems you are getting addictive and gambling confused. Purely because opening packs is addictive, it doesn’t mean it’s gambling. Nobody complained about it being gambling until last year pretty much. Before that it wasn’t a problem and yet the FP aspect hasn’t changed.

    Clearly we aren’t going to agree, I don’t think it’s gambling and you do, so it seems a pretty pointless argument. I guess this is exactly why it’s never been stopped as EA have been smart and trodden a fine line. Personally, they aren’t doing anything wrong and if you choose to spend thousands on Fifa, as long as it’s disposable income then go for it. But don’t moan when you don’t get ronaldo etc, just remember you paid for a pack containing what is described in the information tab

    We won't agree no but as said above... in the lottery you know you're getting 6 numbers (like in fifa you know you're getting 30 players), but the luck is in... is it the right players/numbers that you want.

    See the fine line & how you can word it to sound either side of the spectrum?

    Anything that relies on luck & you don't know what you're getting is a form of gambling, because it's not guaranteed.

    You say 30 players is what you buy, I say the chance at a big player is what someone buys.
    Lottery you'd say you buy 6 numbers? - I say you buy at the chance to win millions
    Pokemon you buy 10 cards (or however many it is) - I say you buy at the chance of a shiny/rare/legendary or one of your collection you still need etc.

    Nail on the head
  • Keano
    20006 posts Club Captain
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?

    In both scenarios you rely on chance, which is gambling.

    Relying on chance for any scenario... be it Fifa, pokemon, lottery, in life.. means you're gambling.

    Right now I am seriously off for a little bit. People on either side won't be reasoned with so discussion will be closed soon enough.
  • Ning
    5784 posts Big Money Move
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?

    Can you buy a lottery ticket and win a couple quid? It's still gambling. The idea is that not releasing the odds of what you can get combined with the notion of selling essentially lottery tickets in the form of online players is the gamble.
  • Mic2904
    2555 posts Fans' Favourite
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?

    Your argument only works if every player would have the same exact rating as everyone else. The sheer fact that players are skilled differently and some provide a clear advantage, ie Bronze vs Icon player should show you the difference between you pack of biscuit and a Fifa pack!

    The reason that no one bothered until around 1.5y ago doesnt make it right!
  • Th3 UK Smurf
    2876 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2019
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?

    The fact that packs have a RTP % on each pack of what rating you will get makes it gambling. Yes you are correct that you will get the exact description of the pack in content but your gambling on that 4% chance of packing an 86+ rated player? Or that less than 1% chance of packing a TOTY! These are theoretical returns to a player that every casino in the land has to adhere by
  • Ning
    5784 posts Big Money Move
    Also you guys do realise that this is because the country completely overhauled their gambling rules and banned gambling what they call social games i.e. games where you gamble for no actual money worth, such as FIFA players.

    That's the main reason it's now banned, is that there's no real consequence to winning, but people are paying money for this, and before hand there was no regulation on it at all, as they had different rules to everywhere else.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4151 posts National Call-Up
    did they re open the loot boxes on star wars battlefront or did they scrap it all together ?

    that was the game that started the huge current debate about pay to play
  • Knowlesdinho
    14945 posts World Class
    edited January 2019
    I’m keeping out of the gambling debate as much as I can, but I used to gamble many years ago (slots, horses etc).

    I never did it to a problematic level because I never lost what I couldn’t afford to, but I certainly felt the highs of winning, and the lows of losing enough to make me stop.

    That buzz of winning is an amazing rush, losing is deflating, and I can only imagine what it must be like for those that have lost everything due to a gambling addiction.

    When I started playing fut, I felt the exact same buzz, and lows of gambling. For a while I did buy fifa points, again nothing that I couldn’t afford to lose, but I could feel that it ran the risk of becoming a problem...much like I did with gambling.

    What I’m trying to say is, whether you think it’s gambling or not, it clearly has elements that can play on those with addictive personalities.

    My gambling and fifa points were never problematic, but I could easily have fallen into addiction, so do I see similarities between the 2? Absolutely, and I feel that it does need regulating.
  • Might put some FP on tonight.
  • Shane
    24161 posts Player of the Year
    Good
  • Azof
    19635 posts Club Captain
    Epic did this to their predatory lootbox system
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47028992
  • TomOTW
    690 posts An Exciting Prospect
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So by some people’s accounts, if I buy a lottery ticket I’m not gambling because I get exactly six numbers that I’m promised when I buy my ticket? So if I’m not gambling on the lottery then I should be entitled to a win when I do it no?

    Seriously the logic of some people here and the naivety.

    You can buy a ticket and get nothing. That’s the ‘gamble’. Can you buy a Fifa pack and it be completely empty?

    You get the ticket with 6 numbers printed on it. That is exactly what you're paying for.
    Or a virtual ticket if you where buying online.

    The fact you have a chance to use that ticket to win millions makes it gambling.

    Gaming is potentially worse because in the T&Cs they state that they actually own it all and you're simply paying for the right to use it, so you pay for the chance to use something.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    I’m bored of going round and round now. My opinion
    Is it addictive? Yes it can be
    Is it gambling? Personally no

    Comparing to different things, it’s not exactly the same as anything and I was trying to show different aspects but clearly people (not @Keano ) were diving on the wrong understanding. I’m not on this forum to argue. If the regulators find it as gambling or not. That’s on them, not on if me and @Mic2904 agree that it is on a forum.

    I just hope they don’t ban it across Europe or the world etc. Snowflake generation can never be to blame for their own actions anymore
  • Dan is Clutch
    32964 posts National Team Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Might put some FP on tonight.

    :joy:
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »
    This thread is going to get good, going to put some popcorn on.

    I’m giving up already!
  • Keano
    20006 posts Club Captain
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    I’m bored of going round and round now. My opinion
    Is it addictive? Yes it can be
    Is it gambling? Personally no

    Comparing to different things, it’s not exactly the same as anything and I was trying to show different aspects but clearly people (not @Keano ) were diving on the wrong understanding. I’m not on this forum to argue. If the regulators find it as gambling or not. That’s on them, not on if me and @Mic2904 agree that it is on a forum.

    I just hope they don’t ban it across Europe or the world etc. Snowflake generation can never be to blame for their own actions anymore

    Not sure if you're saying I was more reasonable/justifiable or if I'm unreasonable & whatnot (not with it atm).
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Might put some FP on tonight.

    lol
  • Blarix
    20869 posts Club Captain
    Azof wrote: »
    Epic did this to their predatory lootbox system
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47028992

    They are trend setters . Fantastic company imo.
  • Please God bring this to the UK! i'd have a lot more money ;-;
  • Baker
    1627 posts Play-Off Hero
    Surely it isnt gambling because, you buy a pack and you’re guaranteed to walk away with players, however if you spin on the roulette or blackjack there is no guarantee that you’ll get anything?
Sign In or Register to comment.