Do you have to use 4231?

Lax22
172 posts Sunday League Hero
Just reached div 3 and got gold 1 last week.. But after the patch i just cant find 41212-2 to work anymore, and all i meet is 4231 teams and i get smashed, is it the new patch and gameplay that i might not be used to? or is 4231 really so dominant, when i try 4231 i just cant get it to work.. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• MUFC_420
    1873 posts Play-Off Hero
    Use whatever formation you're most comfortable with. I spent the first month experimenting with formations this year and finally settled on 4231 as it suits my fast attacking style and doesn't leave me open to counter attacks.

That doesn't mean the formation will suit everyone though.
  • Jonboyparker
    5311 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 25
    MUFC_420 wrote: »
    Use whatever formation you're most comfortable with. I spent the first month experimenting with formations this year and finally settled on 4231 as it suits my fast attacking style and doesn't leave me open to counter attacks.

That doesn't mean the formation will suit everyone though.

Did the same. I never used the 4231 but I actually find it very enjoyable and can play want I think is football. It’s boring to some but it’s not for everyone.

I’m a firm believer that formations are only useful if you know how to use them. Many of the YouTube followers use it blindly which is why they wonder why they lose. All the formations are useful in different situations. Streamers and pros change formation all the time. They just don’t explain that.
  • Lkane
    950 posts Professional
    I’ve never got on with it tbh but I’ve always used 41212 since fifa 12 so that’s all I know. Always won div1 on the old seasons but don’t get as much time as I used to. Just play whatever works for you 👍
  • Ki3r4nM95
    544 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Im using 352 atm and find it completely tears who i plays defence apart, especially 4231 users.
  • Sm0key_J0e
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    No.

Maybe you should try 1324 instead?
  • FCBlunt
    2788 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 25
    Figure out your strenghts and weaknesses and choose a formation to suit either.

What work for other people might not work for your style of play.

I dont personally like the 4231, but a ton of other people use it religiously. So yeah, find what suits you.
  • Halfhand2
    530 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just hold the ball that little bit longer, most just ice skate jockey and cover the pass.
    But against a top player, pray for the first goal.
  • Kingkay
    1777 posts Fans' Favourite
    Try 443(4)

Solid and good attacking
  • RA22Y
    185 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play 4-3-3(5) mainly because I got 93 Silva, 93 Hazard and Firmino untradeable.

I usually get beat by people who play 4231 with their players packed in around the edge of the box, playing on the break. You know the ones I mean - never do any defending themselves and keep spamming balls over the top for their front players with Hunter on.

I really don't care though. Those dire games are more than compensated for when I come up against players with a bit of imagination who try to play good football. Those games are really good - win, or lose.
  • Raider
    3759 posts National Call-Up
    With the new patch you can use anything u like
  • Lax22
    172 posts Sunday League Hero
    Think i just go back to 41212-2 again then, instead off forcing myself to play 4231
  • Pay2Lose
    906 posts Professional
    edited January 25
    I play 433 5. I don’t enjoy using 4231 I find it very boring and defensive. Who cares it’s a game. Play to enjoy not to win.
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    4-1-2-1-2 for me
  • alvchong
    1081 posts Professional
    4222 also not bad
  • holdenwait
    58155 posts National Treasure
    ofcourse not, i'm doing better than I ever did with free-wheeling 4-2-4.. don't let anyone else dictate your gameplay, squad, formation etc etc
  • GeorgeGervin
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    I use 433-4. Just most comfortable with it. Tried some others but didn’t mesh. Ole reliable
  • Janscharie
    319 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play 4411 balanced/balanced tactics.
    If my oppo plays drop back/counter i switch to 4231(2) and set cam lm/rm to cbod. Still balanced attacking en defence thouhg.