Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• forearms
    4437 posts National Call-Up
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    forearms wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »

I think you mean Kroenke doesn't deserve to own a big club. we've got the worst owner in the league

Fact. He is an absolutely awful owner for sports teams.

Tbf his LA Rams are in the NFL playoffs tonight and the coaching model used there is being copy-catted across the league.

Right. Because re upping Jeff Fisher every contract when he was 8-8/7-9/6-10 worked so well for how many years? Hell, he fired him 8 days after news of resigning him to another contract came out.

He got extremely fortunate with Mcvay. It has absolutely nothing to do with Kroenke making a good decision.
  • G000ner
    3925 posts National Call-Up
    Ozil is literally the definition of a luxury player. Madrid could afford it with him being in the middle of prime Ronaldo, Di Maria and Benzema but Arsenal can't.

Emery wants an intense high press. Doubt Ozil could do that against an over 60 walking side.

Ozil aside Arsenal are heading in the right direction and are finally adapting to the modern game but it will take time and a big clear out next summer. Can see them being a real force next season or the one after.

This is getting boring. The best players in the world- Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Hazard etc, are not effective pressers of the ball. Just because a player doesn't run the length of the pitch to track back, does not mean they can't help you win a game. If you watched the Chelsea game you would see Hazard did little to no defensive work the whole game, yet he was Chelsea's best player. Sarri also plays with a high press, but he's not going to leave out Hazard because that would be moronic. I'm not saying Ozil is on Hazard's level, but he is still comfortably our most gifted player, and he's going to be important if we want to break apart teams who sit deep.

People don't realise how good Ozil. His passing ability, vision and control of the football is just so much better than anyone else on our team now that Santi's gone. Even compared to Mkhitaryan, who is a supposed "playmaker", Ozil is far superior on the ball. Yesterday Mkhitaryan must have given the ball away on more than 10 occasions, due to poor first touches and passes. You really take for granted how Ozil can make a difficult pass look so easy and how he controls the ball so well under pressure.

Anyway, Ozil worked hard in the first two games and there's no reason why he won't be able to adapt to the pressing. He's never going to be as much of a machine as Ramsey, but selecting players based purely on their ability to press would be stupid.

I'll direct this at Emery this time
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    edited January 13
    Genuine Q Via Twitter: How do you mess up an 11 point lead and in that time you’ve played Huddersfield, Southampton, Burnley, Brighton, Liverpool, Fulham and West Ham?
  • G000ner
    Genuine Q Via Twitter: How do you mess up an 11 point lead and in that time you’ve played Huddersfield, Southampton, Burnley, Brighton, Liverpool, Fulham and West Ham?

tbf, the gap between 5th and 6th doesn't matter. only thing that matters is the gap between 5th and 4th place. if we beat Chelsea next week, we are 3 points off 4th and still have a small chance if we pick up form. if we lose then our only hope is winning the europa league. even if the gap is 3 points, I'd say our best chance of cl football is the europa league. I just can't see us putting a winning run together atm. And to answer your question- we're playing like relegation candidates right now. Emery still doesn't even know what our best eleven is and what formation to use.
  • Ashy
    9181 posts League Winner
    Can you trust this team to beat the likes of Napoli, Inter Milan, Lazio, Sevilla, Valencia or Chelsea

Right now I'm not so sure
  • G000ner
    Ashy wrote: »
    Can you trust this team to beat the likes of Napoli, Inter Milan, Lazio, Sevilla, Valencia or Chelsea

Right now I'm not so sure

no, but Emery winning 3 europa leagues in a row was no fluke. he's better at managing the cup games
  • Tornado31619
    15684 posts World Class
    How many of them will Arsenal actually end up facing? Recall Napoli getting knocked out early on last season.
  • BLUESBOY345
    1383 posts Play-Off Hero
    Should we make a play for isco in the summer?
    Assuming we can bring in a winger and center back too
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    Any chance Emery gets sacked if you finish 6th or below?

Would be hilarious to see after all those "Arsenal handled succession the right way" articles from like October.
  • G000ner

Would be hilarious to see after all those "Arsenal handled succession the right way" articles from like October.

If performances don't improve and we don't win a cup, yes. I struggle to see how performances can get worse from here, though. I think we'll start to perform more consistently by the end of the season
  • Ashy
    9181 posts League Winner
    Should we make a play for isco in the summer?
    Assuming we can bring in a winger and center back too

No unless we sell Ozil and he replaces him, I want an all out winger
  • G000ner
    I'd love Isco, one of my favourite players to watch. Problem is I don't think we can afford him and he wouldn't want to come to us. He's much better than Ozil, though. We actually need a creative midfielder more than anything with Emery not wanting to play Ozil. Cazorla and Wilshere leaving and Ramsey heading the same way leaves us very short in that position
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class

If performances don't improve and we don't win a cup, yes. I struggle to see how performances can get worse from here, though. I think we'll start to perform more consistently by the end of the season

Chelsea, United, and City are 3 of your next four fixtures. Will be interesting to see how the fans react if you don't win atleast one of those.
  • Ashy
    9181 posts League Winner
    edited January 15
    Thing is I don't think we can do any worse than 6th, the rest of the league isn't consistent or good enough to finish higher than us so we can't do any worse than last season in that aspect, unless we full on crumble that is, we should at least challenge for the 4th spot with Chelsea looking a bit shaky at times and Man Utd will soon drop off a bit and draw games at the very least, Spurs are quite far ahead even if Kane is out for awhile so there's only one spot up for grabs imo.

If our owner Stan wants to make the most out of this club surely a little investment to get us back in the top 4 or even eventually challenging for the title is worth it for him, the longer we stay out of the UCL the worse the income will be, the sponsorship will not be as good as they could be and so on.

Arsenal will be known not as a title challenging like we all used to have hope for at the start of every season until recently, not even a top 4 challenger but a club sitting around 6th place doing nothing, quite like a mid-table team like Leicester/Everton/West Ham except even they are showing ambition.

If it's the case that they are saving the money to spend big in the summer and get the right target then fair enough, but knowing the club like I do I can see us spending around £60m in total while the rest except Spurs splash double that even though they are better than us :D
  • iWilshere_19
    2005 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rumour flying round that mislintat is leaving after a few bust ups
    Obviously it don’t take a genius to work our that it’s because the club don’t wanna spend money
  • Adrian095
    33655 posts National Team Captain
    edited January 15
    Rumour flying round that mislintat is leaving after a few bust ups
    Obviously it don’t take a genius to work our that it’s because the club don’t wanna spend money

Don't people do research before they know what there are getting into. Lol
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    "Unai Emery is said to have taken a more active role regarding transfer targets than the German had anticipated, especially in a structure that was designed to dilute the influence of any head coach in that regard, after the all-encompassing power of Arsene Wenger." - The Independent

Seems like its more of a clash with Emery than a money thing.
  • Tornado31619
    15684 posts World Class
    Emery’s the manager. He should be making the footballing decisions, not Kroenke or whoever.
  • G000ner
    Emery’s the manager. He should be making the footballing decisions, not Kroenke or whoever.

Sven Mislintat is the head of recruitment and was responsible for bringing players such as Auba, Sokratis, Guendouzi and Torreira to the club. Emery would've ok'd the transfers and maybe offered suggestions to who we bring in, but I doubt he would've had much influence. Emery knew he wouldn't have control of the transfers when he joined. Sven Mislintat is the best out there at this, so would be a huge loss if he does leave
  • G000ner
    edited January 15
    list of his transfers, most purchased very cheap.

5ae7317beeafff19ef1d7db48a61804d.jpg

he's basically our only hope of competing whilst having no money to spend. if he leaves we have no chance. whoever forced him out needs to be fired. this club is a mess
  • Tornado31619
    15684 posts World Class

he's basically our only hope of competing whilst having no money to spend. if he leaves we have no chance. whoever forced him out needs to be fired. this club is a mess

Damn :o

More interested as to why BVB let him go :lol:
    Wasn’t he also one of Barça’s scouts at one point? Or was that somebody else?
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class

The manager should identify what he needs as far as systems and roles for players, but in this model (which United seem to be moving towards), identification of specific players to sign is the remit of the director of football (often with the final approval of the manager, but sometimes without depending on the club).
  • Jensonj67
    1668 posts Play-Off Hero

Thats an incredible list, I can't believe he's not being trusted when he has such a proven record
  • Adrian095
    33655 posts National Team Captain
  • PES
    5173 posts Big Money Move
    Finally Mözit‘s been found out. :relieved:
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    edited January 19

Credit to Emery. Biggest change in pts after 23 matches of any side in the top 6 (5 more than last year).
  • G000ner
    Bellerin was one of the best players on the pitch tonight. Only just back from injury and it seems like he could be out for a few months. Huge loss for us and gutted for him. Chelsea didn't really cause us any problems today, but we did well to cope with the few they did cause. Koscielny was immense.

I dont see Chelsea making top 4 if they continue to persist with 3 dms in midfield and 3 wingers up front. They have no idea how to create chances. Literally reliant on Hazard dribbling it past 6 players. United probably favourites for 4th at this point.
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    United probably favourites for *3rd* at this point.

Fixed it.

Kane's out for months and Son's at the asian cup for a few weeks.
  • Ahmer50x
    16099 posts World Class
    edited January 19
    @G000ner , how you feeling about the FA Cup match? I can't wait!