Can an opponent's tactics influence your own team performance?

Sm0key_J0e
437 posts Sunday League Hero
Many of the better players are using deep depth and pressure tactics in the game.
Can these tactics change the way how your own players are performing?

I suppose that the AI has to adapt somewhat but can it affect their performance in terms of pace, reaction times etc?

In some games I have experienced normal gameplay for like 20 minutes when suddenly my opponent changes something and my players suddenly becomes slower and are not defending in the same way as before.

Comments

• WryLucky
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    Random every game for me, regardless of the team.
  • sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    I think they seem slower if your opponent ups their pressure.

Not sure if it’s because they actually are slower, or because you have less time and space to manoeuvre. I think the latter.
  • Sm0key_J0e
    They do feel slower, even in open runs.
    Passes feel weaker too.
  • mokifly
    264 posts Sunday League Hero
    This is SO true, it seems opponents settings effect your own players aswell. Good thing is it should be true the opposite way too.
  • FCBlunt
    3123 posts National Call-Up
    If players sit deep in their own half and play counter attack only. I park my whole team in their half, so their counter attacks falls flat because of lack of space and players to help them. I’m also very good at manual defending so 2v2 is pretty easy for me to disolve.

But basically this means if they werent already sitting as deep as possible, they will now. As soon as they realise and grow some cajones and get forward, I’m already there ready to destroy their lonely backline. Basically meaning, my tactics ruined yours and you couldnt do anything about it.

I love playing “Meta” players, they’re usually so blind to the game as can be.
  • Mc_chigby
    1067 posts Professional
    Some stats will be effected by the opponents tactics e.g.
    Pressure effects composure
    Defending Deep might effect Vision, Positioning (less space to find passes or be open)
    In games where I'm losing or I feel on the back foot I will change my tactics at half time. Sometimes it doesn't help but a lot of the time it either throws my opponent off their game or the tactics work perfectly against their system
  • Sm0key_J0e
    FCBlunt wrote: »
    If players sit deep in their own half and play counter attack only. I park my whole team in their half, so their counter attacks falls flat because of lack of space and players to help them. I’m also very good at manual defending so 2v2 is pretty easy for me to disolve.

But basically this means if they werent already sitting as deep as possible, they will now. As soon as they realise and grow some cajones and get forward, I’m already there ready to destroy their lonely backline. Basically meaning, my tactics ruined yours and you couldnt do anything about it.

Ok, but let's say your opponent is not sitting deep but is using a normal playstyle and have average depth, do your tactics work in the same way?
  • Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero

Agree- Used to play deep to counter counter-attacks, but then switched to a higher line and results improved for me. No need for team press etc either as you say your players are in their faces, and its pretty easy to mop up their long balls out.
  • FCBlunt
    3123 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2019
    Sm0key_J0e wrote: »

Ok, but let's say your opponent is not sitting deep but is using a normal playstyle and have average depth, do your tactics work in the same way?

YesNo, sometimes it will still drag my opponents team back in his half, other times it wont. If it doesnt work I switch to my balanced with 7 depth instead of 9 to work the space he left me. So either way, my tactics are set to work against you.