OT: Hawaii trip - Recommendations & Suggestions (only visiting Oahu)

VanBasten12
6781 posts Big Money Move
I know that OT can be discussed elsewhere, but based on Andy's latest comment over in that other place ... "still more than welcome to discuss off-topic subjects and real football in the respective forums".

Missus and I have now booked our tickets to Honolulu for April. Our best mates are flying in from Virginia to meet us as well for part of the trip too.

At this stage we're only there for 10 nights so will more than likely not leave Oahu for the other islands. The first 3 nights we're by ourselves and the remainder with our friends, therefore looking at thoughts on areas for accommodation.

I have been browsing on Airbnb of course, and done the generic reading online (Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet, etc), but I guess there's nothing compared to people's actual experiences that you can chat with.

Can anyone please suggest/advise/recommend your thoughts on best area for accommodation, general trips, must-do’s, experiences and anything else you can add.

Appreciate it people!

@dopetothemax - know we chatted about this, so tagging the only person I know that's been there.

Comments

• Ryan10g
    1499 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 16
    From what I've heard pretty much anywhere is great but when my mom went (6 years ago) dont stray to far from the touristy areas as it can get rough fast. Her and my step dad got lost and ended up in the equivalent of the ghetto after like 15mins. Not saying its unsafe or anything just what I have heard! Have fun I am super jealous.

May be overblown due to my mom being over dramatic but figured better safe then sorry 😉
  • VanBasten12
    Ryan10g wrote: »
    From what I've heard pretty much anywhere is great but when my mom went (6 years ago) dont stray to far from the touristy areas as it can get rough fast. Her and my step dad got lost and ended up in the equivalent of the ghetto after like 15mins. Not saying its unsafe or anything just what I have heard! Have fun I am super jealous.

May be overblown due to my mom being over dramatic but figured better safe then sorry 😉

Thanks mate - appreciate the response.

First time visiting there, so all are super excited.
  • dopetothemax
    2015 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 16
    The best beaches are on the west side of the island. Absolutely beautiful and fewer tourists. A great breakfast place is called Yogur Story. Try the prime rib loco moco it’s great. A cool local style place to eat would be Rainbow Drive-in. Also, go to Leonard’s bakery in town and get yourself some malasadas. And I recommend pretty much any of the hikes. You can try to hike koko head but be warned, it isn’t easy. But beautiful at the top. For an easier hike, Diamond head isn’t too bad. That’s the most touristy one I feel. There’s also a lighthouse hike you can do as well. I’ll try and find the name for you. There’s a really nice beach near Kailua as well (that’s the rich area lol) I’ll also get the name of that one too.
  • dopetothemax
    Oh and just saw you asked about best place for accommodation. So definitely go Airbnb. It’ll be way cheaper. You can get one on the west side for much less as well but then you’ll have to drive to get to downtown/Waikiki and the traffic is bad almost all the time coming that way. So if you wanna save a bit and don’t mind the extra driving then look in the Waipahu or Kapolei area. But if you’d rather avoid all the driving then just be in town, perhaps the Kakaako area. It’s been fixed up real nice recently and is like the “hip” part of town and it’s a short drive to Waikiki.
  • VanBasten12
    Awesome @dopetothemax … really do appreciate the info, given anything OT is now hidden away.
  • dopetothemax
    No problem man! Yeah if it weren't for you tagging me I never would've seen the post LOL sucks they basically revoked this ability to chat with people you actually want to chat to
  • VanBasten12
    No problem man! Yeah if it weren't for you tagging me I never would've seen the post LOL sucks they basically revoked this ability to chat with people you actually want to chat to

Ah mate … dumbfounded about this move - honestly!

I'm sure there would have been more replies, but EA has really made this one of the daftest decisions ever.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    30201 posts National Team Captain
    Lived here for 3 years when I was in the military. My favorite beach personally is Lanikai. I recommend checking it out. But it’s more for like a chill and relax type setting as there’s not hardly any waves, but it’s absolufely gorgeous. Parking can be a **** though.

Kualoa Ranch is a great place to check out. Can see some of the history of the island, a few activities such as ATV’s, horseback, zip lines, as well as check out some movie set stuff from several movies that were filmed on the island
  • VanBasten12
    Thanks @XxRichiexRichxX - appreciate the recommendations!
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited January 16
    Also, drive up Mount Tantalus in the evening and you’ll get a great view of the city at night (if the weather is clear).

If you’re up for a little (big) hike, Koke Head is awesome. I used to do that hike twice a week. The view from the top is awesome. It’ll probs leave you sore though ha. So maybe save that till the end? Or just take it slow going up.

There’s also Daimond head, which is a very touristy hike, but a lot lighter on the legs than Koko head.
  • VanBasten12
    Thanks mate @XxRichiexRichxX. Will certainly be doing hikes and start prepping for Koko head. :smiley:
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Thanks mate @XxRichiexRichxX. Will certainly be doing hikes and start prepping for Koko head. :smiley:

No problem my man. Just PM me if you have any questions. I've still got friends on the island that I can reach out to if there's anything that I can't answer.
  • Lived here for 3 years when I was in the military. My favorite beach personally is Lanikai. I recommend checking it out. But it’s more for like a chill and relax type setting as there’s not hardly any waves, but it’s absolufely gorgeous. Parking can be a **** though.

Kualoa Ranch is a great place to check out. Can see some of the history of the island, a few activities such as ATV’s, horseback, zip lines, as well as check out some movie set stuff from several movies that were filmed on the island

Did you have to wear the uniform often?
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Lived here for 3 years when I was in the military. My favorite beach personally is Lanikai. I recommend checking it out. But it’s more for like a chill and relax type setting as there’s not hardly any waves, but it’s absolufely gorgeous. Parking can be a **** though.

Did you have to wear the uniform often?

ha.. yes. my job was a "combat ready" career field. Only time I was able to dress down was for certain events.