The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

  • dannyboy
    12802 posts Has That Special Something
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Looks like we're getting Sheridan again, good manager who's developed a lot since last time he was here. Not sure about offering such a volatile character a three and a half year deal though, especially one that is supposed to make him the highest paid manager in the NL and L2.

    Would you like me to give you directions to the the courtroom they use to wind companies up now or do you want me to wait a bit?

    Give it a couple of weeks when the new manager optimism has gone.

    He'll be great for you but I just think the contract is far too long. Never do more than a 1 (2 in exceptional cases) deal in non-league.

    Tbf that's only the rumoured length, but I agree it's madness when we're still paying off at least two managers.

    I'd imagine he's been promised funds to strengthen to get him here because I don't see him doing much the current squad.

    Maybe you could bring them all in and have some form of managerial super team?

    The thought of Gary Caldwell being anywhere near the club again makes me nauseous.

    Surely he had some positives? Maybe throw ins?

    Follow the NFL structure I say. Head Coach with Offensive and Defensive Co-coordinators under him with 2-3 coaches per position under them.


    Don't all teams kind of work like this already
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Looks like we're getting Sheridan again, good manager who's developed a lot since last time he was here. Not sure about offering such a volatile character a three and a half year deal though, especially one that is supposed to make him the highest paid manager in the NL and L2.

    Would you like me to give you directions to the the courtroom they use to wind companies up now or do you want me to wait a bit?

    Give it a couple of weeks when the new manager optimism has gone.

    He'll be great for you but I just think the contract is far too long. Never do more than a 1 (2 in exceptional cases) deal in non-league.

    Tbf that's only the rumoured length, but I agree it's madness when we're still paying off at least two managers.

    I'd imagine he's been promised funds to strengthen to get him here because I don't see him doing much the current squad.

    Maybe you could bring them all in and have some form of managerial super team?

    The thought of Gary Caldwell being anywhere near the club again makes me nauseous.

    Surely he had some positives? Maybe throw ins?

    Follow the NFL structure I say. Head Coach with Offensive and Defensive Co-coordinators under him with 2-3 coaches per position under them.


    Don't all teams kind of work like this already

    Not in the lower leagues. Most will have Manager, GK coach, Assistant Manager and one coach (sometimes 2 coaches if no assistant).
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Nathan Jones and Stoke would fit perfectly together, a complete **** for a **** club
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    Don't understand Bournemouth. They're safe, but they pretty much rested everyone for the cup today and now they're out. Now they're literally playing for nothing for the next 5 months.

    Would imagine Stoke will sack Rowett now as well.
  • AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Don't understand Bournemouth. They're safe, but they pretty much rested everyone for the cup today and now they're out. Now they're literally playing for nothing for the next 5 months.

    Would imagine Stoke will sack Rowett now as well.

    Confuses me as well they do it every season it would take a lot for them to win the tournament but theres nothing to lose a couple of good draws and it opens up. Few prem teams do this in both cups palace rested loads of players against us.
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Don't understand Bournemouth. They're safe, but they pretty much rested everyone for the cup today and now they're out. Now they're literally playing for nothing for the next 5 months.

    Would imagine Stoke will sack Rowett now as well.

    Confuses me as well they do it every season it would take a lot for them to win the tournament but theres nothing to lose a couple of good draws and it opens up. Few prem teams do this in both cups palace rested loads of players against us.

    Could understand it if they were still in the relegation battle, we're going to rest everyone tomorrow and play the likes of Steven Sessegnon and Luca de la Torre and if we go out there won't be many tears shed- but that's because we're 19th and have Burnley away as the game after. Bournemouth might as well just go on their summer holidays now. Mind you, beyond winning a trophy the prize would be a Europa League run that the club probably wouldn't want and they'd just bin off to focus on staying in the league next season anyway.
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Ollie Hawkins is the winner of today’s prize for not being named in the match day squad without any warning during a transfer window causing me to panic about losing him
    Tbh he could go to pretty much any team, he’s 6 ft 7 and quick he isn’t good enough to start above league one but I could even see a lot of teams above us in the pyramid signing him just because of the carnage he can cause off the bench
    It’s probably just an injury mind you
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    AFC Wimbledon have gone through. If (and it is if) we get through tomorrow they're the dream draw.
  • Retro1989
    4395 posts National Call-Up
    Karanka basically put his controller down in that 2nd half.
  • james2060
    2826 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bring back Fergie Jr
  • Karlos
    24273 posts Club Captain
    Top 3

    The whites are going up

    Take care

    Karlos.
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Charlton Sunderland draw and Luton have a replay to deal with
    Good start to the day
  • Farlz
    8347 posts League Winner
    That was really bad
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    edited January 5
    Drew with the league leaders thanks to our centre back scoring from outside the area with a first time volley into the top corner with the last kick of the match. We only had time for it because they made a sub to waste time just before the ref blew his whistle. This meant more time was added on for time wasting in addition to the time initially announced as being added on for time wasting. This prompted their players and staff trying to fight with the ref, our striker and our photographer. **** hilarious ending. :joy:
  • WFCBagnall
    69494 posts Moderator
    Anybody want to buy any of our defenders?
  • GoodnightIrene
    3319 posts National Call-Up
    Shame Scunny won but great loss for Rochdale today, can really see them and Gills dropping right back into the relegation zone with ours and Bradfords form atm, getting ready for Plymouth to fall further and further into oblivion, even if we most likely join them!
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    I’ve cut my forehead, hurt my shoulder and lost my voice but oh my word that’s the magic of the cup
    Started out this afternoon not really caring but then Norwich proceeded to be so so dirty, Donohue got his head split open and someone nailed Green very very late a couple of minutes before the goal
    Then we score a scrappy late winner and go mental
    Bring on the draw on Monday what a season this is, the treble is still on boys xoxo
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    Delighted for you @Hicksy2011. Think you’re the team I’ll be supporting for the rest of the competition. Let’s hope you get Southampton on Monday.


    This might be the greatest sentence in forum history. Get it in the OP @WFCBagnall.
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    I’ve cut my forehead, hurt my shoulder and lost my voice but oh my word that’s the magic of the cup

  • WFCBagnall
    69494 posts Moderator
    Done.

    Get well soon @Hicksy2011
  • They Caged Non
    4354 posts National Call-Up
    Good on Pompey there like, cracking result.. I love it when arrogant nobody clubs feel they have the right to rest players for the cup, it’s pathetic.
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    Good on Pompey there like, cracking result.. I love it when arrogant nobody clubs feel they have the right to rest players for the cup, it’s pathetic.

    Although they'd probably prefer to go out than have a replay in the position they're in. I know I would tomorrow.
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Poor @HolgerBadstuber
    Chesterfield seem to be imploding just seen that video of the fans attacking Nathan Ashmore (attacking is a slight hyperbole for those who haven’t seen it) , hate this sort of situation where 30 complete numpties are going to ruin something for a few thousand, they can’t afford to be getting point deductions or anything right now
  • Karlos
    24273 posts Club Captain
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Poor HolgerBadstuber
    Chesterfield seem to be imploding just seen that video of the fans attacking Nathan Ashmore (attacking is a slight hyperbole for those who haven’t seen it) , hate this sort of situation where 30 complete numpties are going to ruin something for a few thousand, they can’t afford to be getting point deductions or anything right now

    article-1380553-0BC4CE7800000578-855_468x430.jpg

    Not the first time that is has happened. Nothing will happen, other than that fan being banned.
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Also how tragic is it that one of the Norwich journalists is so bitter about today that he has spent the whole evening abusing Pompey fans
    Also turns out one minute after the game he tweeted some really patronising stuff about us and the fa cup basically implying we are a small club
    Well 2 wins and 5 finals compared to his **** club who’ve never got there so put that on your pipe and smoke it
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    Karlos wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Poor HolgerBadstuber
    Chesterfield seem to be imploding just seen that video of the fans attacking Nathan Ashmore (attacking is a slight hyperbole for those who haven’t seen it) , hate this sort of situation where 30 complete numpties are going to ruin something for a few thousand, they can’t afford to be getting point deductions or anything right now

    article-1380553-0BC4CE78000005-855_468x430.jpg

    Not the first time that is has happened. Nothing will happen, other than that fan being banned.

    The tweet I saw implied an incident had already happened this season, idk if it had
    I do fear though that with Dele Alli getting hit by the bottle and this being such a hot topic at the moment that they may make an example of them
  • Karlos
    24273 posts Club Captain


    That keeper seems like a **** anyway.
  • JamieC
    795 posts Semi-Pro
    The second game of the year and it's another 3-2 loss, this time to Grays Athletic.

    The game got delayed to 3:40pm because the ref and one of linesman had a punctured tyre and after a while, they got a new ref and linesman from Braintree. Wish they kept the original choice as the ref was poor. Didn't bring out a single card despite the aggressive fouls. The linesman had no clue of what was going on, giving a throw in to Grays despite it clearly being headed out by one of their players (ref had to fix this) and he was going to give us a foul, despite us doing the tackle.

    The worse part was at the very end of the game, Ollie Fenn got fouled in the box, ref gives a freekick instead of a penalty!!! :angry:

    That should have been our final chance to get a draw, but no, he gives a freekick and we just go over, and he blows the whistle right after.

    Oh well, on to next week.

    Aveley FC ground (where Grays currently ground-share with) is probably the best ground I have gone to this season.

    5FFjjbm.jpg

    jcpxZI5.jpg
  • Hicksy2011
    12852 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 5
    My final spam post of the evening

    Dion Donohue has a dreamy left peg, what a player
    He’d been injured for months, had to play 75 mins today with a bandage on his head after he got a bad cut, this was his first start since October I think and the bloke has the engine still in the 95th minute to lead a breakaway and do that, the pass is utterly outrageous
  • Dizzy Bala
    3658 posts National Call-Up
    Surprised Rowett hasn't been sacked by Stoke to be honest. He must have some dirt on the owners for sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.