DwBWvh1XQAETb7u.jpg:large
  • dazcol81
    88 posts Park Captain
    DwBWx0oXcAIZ9CS.jpg:large
  • dazcol81
    88 posts Park Captain
    Gazzetta.jpg

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DAREO COLLEDGIZI

Since being installed as the new manager of Sampdoria in late August, Dareo Colledgizi has been an elusive character. Compulsory press conferences, aside, he has not granted any media interviews and has kept his own counsel. Today, Gazzetta, sat down for the first exclusive interview with the Sampdoria boss.

Dareo, welcome.

Thankyou

First of all, let's discuss the circumstances surrounding your appointment.It was a bit of a whirlwind, wasn't it?

Yes, you could say that! I got the call to meet Massimo (chairman) on the Sunday. I met him that evening at a hotel in Genoa. It was very relaxed and we discussed a variety of things. We share the same vision in terms of how we want a team to play and with his proposal, I felt that Sampdoria were the perfect club for me. I agreed to sign a contract that evening and it was announced the following morning.

Did you have an idea of the players you wanted to retain and who you wanted to bring in, early on?

As soon as I knew I would be taking the job, I watched videos of all last season's games. I have trusted staff who I have brought to work alongside me and the analysts compiled a dossier on all the relevant stats we needed to evaluate what areas we felt we could improve.

You were very busy in the Transfer Market this summer. Do you have the squad you want, now?

When I arrived I already had an idea of some players that I wanted to bring to the club. As I said we have a team of analysts who also provided me with a list of players suitable for the philosophy that we want to implement. I was delighted to be able to get some of the players on that list, to Sampdoria.

Which of the new signings are you most excited about?

All of them! I do believe that we have bought some really promising players along with some experienced ones as well. I really like Sandro Tonali as a footballer and was delighted that we fought off strong competition to bring him to the football club.

You mention Tonali and he has drawn comparisons to Andrea Pirlo. Do you think he could reach the level of Pirlo in the future?

Maybe the hair! No, I don't like to compare players. Tonali is his own man and has to forge his own career path. If he has half the career that Pirlo had then he will be very successful. I have full confidence in his abilities and I feel that he will be a great acquisition for us.

Moving on, what are your targets for this season? You have made a decent start.

Our target has always been to try and secure European football for next season. Whether this is via the league or the Coppa Italia, that is our primary aim this campaign. I feel that the players we have brought to the club can help us achieve this goal.

Finally, how are you finding Italian football and are you enjoying it?

I am really enjoying my time in Italian football so far! We have put in some good performances and a couple of poor ones but on the whole I am pleased with the attitude and application of my players thus far.

• Danimal5981
    2094 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow, Chievo is high up there; surprising.
  • dazcol81
    88 posts Park Captain
    Wow, Chievo is high up there; surprising.

Very surprising! Bigger sides such as Lazio and Fiorentina have made poor starts. I think the title already belongs to Juventus, the rest are battling it out for the European places
  • dazcol81
    88 posts Park Captain
    Looks like Sampdoria are signing Manolo Gabbiadini in real life! Always satisfying when that happens