After 24 years of playing this game I'm saying goodbye

Comments

• SuperKMx
    462 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited December 2018
    Anyone remember the "This Is Football" franchise?

Back in the day, on SNES, you had Striker (remember that?), there was Kick Off (classic Amiga top down footie game), you had Fifa, an iteration of ISS Pro (PES by another name), and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Yes. This Is Football was dire. If people thought it wasn't, Sony would have been persuaded to persist with it, which they didn't. Striker was the same, as were the 19 different versions that were released that were the same game with different names. Goal II, European Club Soccer, Ultimate Soccer, Super Match Soccer, World Cup USA 94, Adidas Power Soccer, Pele, Ronaldo V-Football, David Beckham Soccer, Three Lions, Club Football, Viva Football, Super Shot Soccer, Football Madness, Manchester United: The Double, Kick Off 3, World League Soccer, Backyard Soccer, Complete Onside Soccer, Chris Kamara's Street Soccer, Steven Gerrard's Pure Football, Football Generation, Actua Soccer, Olympic Soccer...all utter, utter crap, barring for a quick kickabout with a couple of friends. Once. And that list is just off the top of my head.

You can look at it with rose-tinted spectacles, but 99% of football games over the years have been absolute trash, rushed together in as few months as possible to reel in people who should know better. Do you really want to go back to the days of Codemasters releasing 22 different club-themed versions of Club Football, then doing it again a year later with 32 versions, but forgetting to make any actual changes in the sequel, so you ended up buying the exact same crap game twice? I know I don't.

The two highest-quality franchises have endured and remained, as should be the way. If any of those other games were any good then their popularity would have ensured that they were still here.
  • john_d_efc
    405 posts Sunday League Hero
    I agree with every word. Game was much better at release, they only had to fix shooting and scissor kicks. Instead it got worse with every patch. And yet 3 months after release they still haven’t fixed the consumables bug...
    I play a lot of games every year....but now i have no desire to play anymore...no fun at all.
    The only hope is that PES manages to get the full licenses sooner or later...

As bad as the licenses in PES are (which is really only cosmetic), you can get community option files which changes all the team names etc. Only problem is that only the PC and PS4 have them at the moment
  • bigpokey24
    4786 posts Big Money Move
    Everything written by the OP, is spot on. I am also in the same boat. Fifa 19 (all the patches were a waste of time)has failed woefully. Fifa 20 will be the same. A product will be released , in fact a product not completed . More patches, same cycle over and over. The worst part are the way the game makers are so focused on packs and promo. They've neglected the gameplay completely. Post ,after post, deflecting shots falling perfectly for the opposition. The game forces people to use finesse after finesse. All the goals are the same, finesse, rebounds short free kicks and near post corners.

EA has no competitors, so they produce unfinished products. Patches released would only work for 3 to 5 days and then revert back. AI defending has been a major issue since 17.. Everyone is forced to play in one stadium, weather , same kitsch etc ..it becomes repetitive.

The game isnt about having fun, it is about what gameplay would one expect when the ps4 or xbox comes on.. why should the different modes all have different gameplays?
  • llcg04
    420 posts Sunday League Hero
    Good Post mate, you mentioned exactly all the things wrong With this game
  • limjitwe
    6705 posts Big Money Move
    Agree with some and disagree with some. I still enjoy playing the game frankly.

Take care.
  • UoD
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sorry @EA_Andy you’re tagged in a lot of posts, but you and the team really need to take a note of this.

• L1vingl1fe
    3072 posts National Call-Up
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Agree with some and disagree with some. I still enjoy playing the game frankly.

Take care.

• Denz
    2030 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think we all love this game, whatever we say, hence why we play it and post on here. We dislike and get frustrated but ultimately it's a game for most, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure a game needs you to say goodbye, far more important things in life, so eject the disc and enjoy something else. Maybe you will come back after some time and take it for what it is.

All the best.
  • Leyboi86
    322 posts Sunday League Hero
    Your right in every statement, games is all over the place
  • Couldn’t agree more. Fifa 18 had its flaws but a spade was a spade in that instalment.

You roll a loaded dice in Fifa 19 with every game you play.
  • Simsbadger
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    I have played fifa for a short time compared to a lot on here but it’s like 6-7 years and have only played fut for like 3 years now and to be honest I’m done with it 😂
    I’m at a lose to what to do next to improve but I’m at the point where why bother improving on a broken game that just seems to get worse I brought my first icon before weekend and seemed to get matched with 4-5 icons per team lol I finished in my worst ever place but hey ho
    Fifa needs to address the fans but don’t they need to sort out the game but they won’t as admitting there’s a problem leads to issues all over the place from players who want there money back who have been repeatedly told there’s nothing wrong with the game !!
    Ea need to get better servers / more servers what ever is causing the lag issues but to do that they need to spend money !! So they won’t
    I would love to actually see how much money ea have made through promo selling packs !! I think that would open up people’s eyes and start asking difficult questions to ea !! But you get a ea customer service advisor who directs u here as according to them we have the power 😂😂 says a lot of the company
  • CovLee_Candice
    4009 posts National Call-Up
    Yeah thiz game is for 12 yo kids with dad's credit card to spend
  • ICUP
    3909 posts National Call-Up
    W16 wrote: »
    Durrani13 wrote: »
    It's a sad day for me. This thread may be overlooked by most of you and last a few minutes on this forum before disappearing. But I think after 24 years of supporting, paying for and spending thousands of hours playing FIFA, I should have my say before walking into the sunset.

I've followed and for most years enjoyed FIFA over a very long journey. Starting from the very first FIFA on my (monster) 486 computer back in the mid 1990s. The main two reasons for playing the game for me were love of football and how much fun most of the installments were.

To be honest, and this is rather revealing, I had a tough childhood and adolescence and this game was for most part my escape. It did wonders for me. That's why this has been such a difficult decision.

I have seen the last few installments go in a direction that has slowly eaten away at the fun to be had. And FIFA 19 has reached a point that I can no longer support and persist and pretend it's okay.

Don't get me wrong. I have given it a real go over the holidays and since buying the game I have played some 1000 games (702-76-211) and really pushed my persistence levels due to my long connection to the franchise. I have a really decent team, including and icon, worth around 4m coins. But my resilience and patience has reached its end.

There is very little fun to be had. In those 1000 games I've been frustrated nearly every game bar maybe 10-12.

The issues have been raised by many but there are some very bad designs in the game that eat away the joy of football.

1. The game is about defenders sticking to opponents like they are glued together or they are sparsely set like they are polar magnets that cannot come together. Both result in terrible controls. There is no inbetween in competitive games.

2. Scoring and variety of scoring is what makes football enjoyable. That has been taken away by the state of defending along with a stupid shooting design that encourages you to just shoot around the corner from outside the penalty area or else take the loss. I remember when scoring from the outside was so jaw dropping that you would save the replays to show others. Now we save replays to show how terrible the mechanics are.

3. If you defend or try to defend you are punished with free kicks and penalties so the game encourages one dimensional play where the AI defends and you just work to get to about 30 yards out. That's where the game is played. Between you last line and 30 yards out.

4. Defenders can ragdoll and bulldoze strikers. Pique can turn and catch up to prime Gary Lineker with 97 pace, tackle him from behind, win the ball and hurt Lineker at the same time successfully. Not possible, not fun and definitely frustrating.

5. Your 4m team and 90-91 rated defenders will block the ball and put it into the path of the opposition strikers without fail. Not to mention that they stand in one straight line like robots for the opposition to just walk towards them slowly and then get through with pace. If you defend you will give away a free kick and maybe a red card but if you don't they will likely get through and score.

6. You hit the post/bar pretty much every game at least once because that's just how football games play out apparently.

7. FUT has become a card and management game complemented by a flawed simulator rather than the cards and management complementing a great football simulation game.

8. If you add all the issues with the game you notice that it's just a hodgepodge and the attention to detail towards the actual game has been missing for a very long time. It seems EA designers have decided to accept mistake after mistake and those in charge seem to accept their failures.

I could go on and on but many have already done that and will continue to do so. I hope another company is paying attention and have their eyes open at the opportunity the current state of the game provide to compete in this space. The issue for EA and its lack of great design and innovative is that there is a lack of competition. Here is a simple example that I'm not exaggerating. There have been multiple patches but the issue where applying consumables sometimes doesn't work, and you are forced to go all the way back to the main menu and restart FUT, continues to persists. That's lazy design.

Ok I think I've said what needs to be said. I hope EA takes the views of everyone, especially long standing supporters of the franchise, into consideration and not ignore it's customer base.

I want to finish by saying thank you EA for providing me with many years of joy and I hope you will soon return to bringing that type of fun to a very loved sport and video game.

With great sadness.

Goodbye.

This is your game @EA_Andy

Will you do anything about it this year or do you want more to quit before you do anything about it?

Agree with OP but don’t see why you are @ Andy as if he has the power to change anything
  • JURITO1000
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited December 2018
    good decision...this is the worst football game ever and all people which created this game should be fired and never be hired
  • W16
    581 posts An Exciting Prospect
    ICUP wrote: »
    It's a sad day for me. This thread may be overlooked by most of you and last a few minutes on this forum before disappearing. But I think after 24 years of supporting, paying for and spending thousands of hours playing FIFA, I should have my say before walking into the sunset.

I've followed and for most years enjoyed FIFA over a very long journey. Starting from the very first FIFA on my (monster) 486 computer back in the mid 1990s. The main two reasons for playing the game for me were love of football and how much fun most of the installments were.

To be honest, and this is rather revealing, I had a tough childhood and adolescence and this game was for most part my escape. It did wonders for me. That's why this has been such a difficult decision.

I have seen the last few installments go in a direction that has slowly eaten away at the fun to be had. And FIFA 19 has reached a point that I can no longer support and persist and pretend it's okay.

Don't get me wrong. I have given it a real go over the holidays and since buying the game I have played some 1000 games (702-76-211) and really pushed my persistence levels due to my long connection to the franchise. I have a really decent team, including and icon, worth around 4m coins. But my resilience and patience has reached its end.

There is very little fun to be had. In those 1000 games I've been frustrated nearly every game bar maybe 10-12.

The issues have been raised by many but there are some very bad designs in the game that eat away the joy of football.

1. The game is about defenders sticking to opponents like they are glued together or they are sparsely set like they are polar magnets that cannot come together. Both result in terrible controls. There is no inbetween in competitive games.

2. Scoring and variety of scoring is what makes football enjoyable. That has been taken away by the state of defending along with a stupid shooting design that encourages you to just shoot around the corner from outside the penalty area or else take the loss. I remember when scoring from the outside was so jaw dropping that you would save the replays to show others. Now we save replays to show how terrible the mechanics are.

3. If you defend or try to defend you are punished with free kicks and penalties so the game encourages one dimensional play where the AI defends and you just work to get to about 30 yards out. That's where the game is played. Between you last line and 30 yards out.

4. Defenders can ragdoll and bulldoze strikers. Pique can turn and catch up to prime Gary Lineker with 97 pace, tackle him from behind, win the ball and hurt Lineker at the same time successfully. Not possible, not fun and definitely frustrating.

5. Your 4m team and 90-91 rated defenders will block the ball and put it into the path of the opposition strikers without fail. Not to mention that they stand in one straight line like robots for the opposition to just walk towards them slowly and then get through with pace. If you defend you will give away a free kick and maybe a red card but if you don't they will likely get through and score.

6. You hit the post/bar pretty much every game at least once because that's just how football games play out apparently.

7. FUT has become a card and management game complemented by a flawed simulator rather than the cards and management complementing a great football simulation game.

8. If you add all the issues with the game you notice that it's just a hodgepodge and the attention to detail towards the actual game has been missing for a very long time. It seems EA designers have decided to accept mistake after mistake and those in charge seem to accept their failures.

I could go on and on but many have already done that and will continue to do so. I hope another company is paying attention and have their eyes open at the opportunity the current state of the game provide to compete in this space. The issue for EA and its lack of great design and innovative is that there is a lack of competition. Here is a simple example that I'm not exaggerating. There have been multiple patches but the issue where applying consumables sometimes doesn't work, and you are forced to go all the way back to the main menu and restart FUT, continues to persists. That's lazy design.

Ok I think I've said what needs to be said. I hope EA takes the views of everyone, especially long standing supporters of the franchise, into consideration and not ignore it's customer base.

I want to finish by saying thank you EA for providing me with many years of joy and I hope you will soon return to bringing that type of fun to a very loved sport and video game.

With great sadness.

Goodbye.

Will you do anything about it this year or do you want more to quit before you do anything about it?

Agree with OP but don’t see why you are @ Andy as if he has the power to change anything

EA has to respond. As employed at EA he can give us some feedback. Is that too much?
  • ICUP
    3909 posts National Call-Up
    ICUP wrote: »

With great sadness.

Goodbye.

EA has to respond. As employed at EA he can give us some feedback. Is that too much?

Last time I heard Andy was on holiday and last time I checked all he can do is relay our issues back to the dev team.

All you are gonna get is “ it has been noted and been relayed to the dev team”
  • Ben_W
    69 posts Park Captain
    The game needs a complete overhaul, our only hope is for a new game engine when the next gen consoles are released
  • Notformeclive
    2336 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great post and pretty much my feelings, incidentally I can (just about) remember playing this on an Amstrad

It's more annoying because I actually quit the game for well over a year but came back because I have friends who like to play Co-op seasons which I would recommend , it's a much more enjoyable game mode.

Just have a chat on headset while your playing and it's much more relaxed than UT and not quite as ridiculous/child-friendly.

Your point about players just "bulldozing" through other players is probably much biggest gripe with this game, even over timed finesses and AI defending, it's at a point where they may as well just ditch fouls/refs.
    Contact should be automated and realistic with high strength players having a slight advantage, having Gabriel Jesus sprinting around pushing people out the way because some kid is mullering a button is just absurd.

Back on old football games I remember a game as a kid where the players were actual monkeys...…….and that felt like a more realistic representation of the sport than this does.

• Aqeel87
    2363 posts Fans' Favourite
    JURITO1000 wrote: »
    good decision...this is the worst football game ever and all people which created this game should be fired and never be hired

• Moose Factory
    3319 posts National Call-Up
    TopCat wrote: »
    Think us old timers just have to accept that we are no longer the target audience. EA strategy is to keep the game FIFA by numbers and extract every last penny from kids who don’t know better.

Been a canny ride, but I’ve never really enjoyed any iteration since FIFA 11

Exactly. I mentioned this in another thread.

I’ve noticed with ALL online sports franchises is that they don’t really care about core players who have been playing for ages. They make more money off of newbies who are still young to the franchises. I guarantee you the longer a person has played these ultimate team modes over the years the less money they spend year in year out.

Whereas a newer player is more likely to fall for every promo and empty promise of packing the top tier players. And these companies have the analytics to prove that new customers each year spend more money than the old customers.

So for FIFA, they remove skill gap, the endless “patches” say one thing but do something different, they release more shiny cards with small incremental upgrades, etc, etc.

But the BIGGEST problem is that we’ve reached a point where all of us who have been playing these sports titles for the last decade+ (FIFA, Madden, NCAA (rip), NHL, The Show, NBA 2k/NBA Live) see the potential in these franchises delivering so much more than they are... and none of them have been.

They simply don’t make money off of their most loyal customers because of these ultimate team modes. These modes that we all have learned to love is the entire reason most of us are now filled with hate for this franchise.

Can you show me one Career mode that is innovative in any sports title? No. Even 2k found ways to include micro transactions into its career type modes. In 2k18 you had to pay money to go to the barber to get a f’n haircut. :s
  • XxXlild3vilxXx
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’m another on the verge. Played 3 WL games early last week and haven’t been bothered to play despite having lots of free time. I did actually switch it on a few days ago but got disconnected trying to apply a fitness card to my player so just switched it back off!!

The gameplay is atrocious even before you get into the delay issues. The SBC’s were a great idea to keep me interested but have been logging on all over Xmas holidays and they’ve been disappointing. Marquee Matchups have been awful too, I’ve done them every week and have never had to buy any player to complete. I used to enjoy the puzzle of trying to complete them without spending loads. Rivals/Futchamps rewards have ruined this game also. Yes it’s great to get packs and player picks but every other player gets the same. It’s too easy to build good teams. (I have 3 Icons, CR7 and Messi) but it’s boring!

Such a shame as when I switched from PES to FIFA in 2012, FUT was great but they’ve removed everything that was good about it and the gameplay has gotten worse each year.

• LazyFIFA
    505 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2018
    I'm done this year. Even requested back the £40 that I spent about a month ago on packs and Microsoft gave it back no problem. Game is woeful and no fun at all. Games are supposed to be enjoyed, not cause stress, anger and a feeling of being shafted.

If you have a PC, FM19 is the way to go, no stress and far more enjoyment.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4836 posts Big Money Move
    Great post 10/10. ‘We now save replays to show how bad the game mechanics are’

This is so true. The last two years I haven’t saved a single great goal. But I have a massive collection of bugged and goals that are literally impossible.
  • Adrian095
    33711 posts National Team Captain
    edited December 2018
    Game diminished after fifa 16
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4836 posts Big Money Move
    I agree with every word. Game was much better at release, they only had to fix shooting and scissor kicks. Instead it got worse with every patch. And yet 3 months after release they still haven’t fixed the consumables bug...
    I play a lot of games every year....but now i have no desire to play anymore...no fun at all.
    The only hope is that PES manages to get the full licenses sooner or later...

What do liscenses really do? They only matter if you play career mode. My club (fut) has every player. Real name and most with better faces that fifa. So the only thing you don’t get is some kits and stadiums. And even then if you’re on ps4 or PC you can download everything and it looks every bit as real as fifa. The liscenising thing is an excuse for people that just don’t want to play PES IMO.
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    Amen..
  • HelloDearie
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited December 2018
    Agree with you OP, and made a similar thread myself the other day, asking if we (as in most of the older fan base) were coming to the end.

The game is no longer a decent football sim, and is just all about money. As a business model EA are geniuses as people will always buy packs no matter what. However, as customers, is it a good game overall? Not really. Poor gameplay, packs, packs and more packs, all with terrible packweight, more coloured cards than the rainbow. The game is now just a big gimmick. Whereas back in the day, UT had a great concept, and was enjoyable. Before that, even FIFA on the old Mega Drive was a laugh, as abysmal as the graphics were :D

Well that’s my opinion anyway. Each to their own.
  • Gooner93
    334 posts Sunday League Hero
    Modi421 wrote: »
    ”I remember when scoring from the outside was so jaw dropping that you would save the replays to show others” LEGENDARY. I remember when I used to show the replays to my football loving dad.

I used to play the game just to try and score screamers. I'd be happy scoring a 35 yards curler into the top corner whether i won or not. Now the only way to win is by scoring these goals! It's so, so sad.

It's like comebacks too, in the old games I could count on one hand the amount of times i'd come back from two goals down, in a year! There was a skill gap. It's now a rare occasion when there isn't a two goal swing, every game is 4-3, 5-4 ect.

Boring, they've killed off everything fun in this game. It's just depressing grind, catered to desperate, exploiting try hards, so they can pack players that play no different to any other 700 coin player when it really matters.
  • gutman22
    681 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2018
    I totally agree with the OP but this won't change since EA is having profit year after year. Sad but true. People need to stop donating money for EA (FPs) than something maybe will happen.