The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

AI defending needs to be patched asap

Comments

• Empyrium7
    3098 posts National Call-Up
    Lamboo wrote: »
    But you can’t control 4 defenders at once so what do you expect the ai defenders to do rush out of position? It’s part of the video game learn to use it as an advantage and find ways to exploit it. I’ve been playing video games for 23 years and that’s how you play every game. The fact that EA did a solid job where it almost feels like real football doesn’t mean it’s still not a video game.

why would we learn how to use it. it's not skilled. and if I want to play against the AI I would play SB.
    AI should never tackle and push you. they can track runs and cover. but not tackle and you should dribble through them easily if the are not controlled by the player.
  • ELMEX94
    187 posts Sunday League Hero
    Aqeel87 wrote: »
    Keep it up guys until this **** get sorted out.

• KinggHuss
    2057 posts Fans' Favourite
    Am I the only one that doesn't see AI defend as much as they used to? At least mine don't anymore. They just stand still and the attackers do their thing when I'm not controlling them...
  • Wild Grunt
    424 posts Sunday League Hero
    +1
  • BorussenBernie09
    1601 posts Play-Off Hero
    So where is the answer of an EA Official? @EA_Andy we know you're on holidays, but you need to response to this. Simply ignoring does not help.
  • Janscharie
    321 posts Sunday League Hero
    @EA_Andy

Can we please have a response?

• ELMEX94
    Wild Grunt wrote: »
    +1

• Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    KinggHuss wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't see AI defend as much as they used to? At least mine don't anymore. They just stand still and the attackers do their thing when I'm not controlling them...

It depends on the players defensive setup. Try it on constant pressure and it’s very effective.

Biggest issue for me is that I see played with nothing in their energy bar still pressing- think of EA punished low energy then Players wouldn’t do it as the opponent would be able to walk past their players.

It’s a really simple and obvious fix.
  • klaas9
    993 posts Professional
    Duncan1972 wrote: »
    KinggHuss wrote: »

It depends on the players defensive setup. Try it on constant pressure and it’s very effective.

Biggest issue for me is that I see played with nothing in their energy bar still pressing- think of EA punished low energy then Players wouldn’t do it as the opponent would be able to walk past their players.

It’s a really simple and obvious fix.

This
  • Recoba
    4249 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2018
    Its really hard to have a conversation with the FIFA devs about the game issues.

The lack of communication on a multi billion dollar company and one of the biggest games in the world is really sad.
    Post edited by Recoba on
  • bigpokey24
    4862 posts Big Money Move
    Seems Arsenal and Spurs are bringing the 41212 back to life
  • FCBlunt
    3011 posts National Call-Up
    I see more people tracking back and letting their second man press do the job for them.

Its extremely infuriating having 3 players around you with no way to pass out of it. It would make sense if moving the ball to the other side would help, but it doesnt. Three players on you at all times, 11 man in their box compared to your 4 or 5.

I thought having more players forward meant more options, but atm it feels like less. Playing posession is unrewarding, but I will keep at it.

Tbh, I dont even know how they press with three men. I do know however, pressing like this used to leave holes which doesnt feel like the case atm. I select and tackle, >I< tackle. So being beat by someone who lets the computer do it, really puts me down as I feel beat down for trying to play the game.

Listen to the community, devs. We need more emphasis on actually doing defending compared to using the AI.

Thanks for reading.
  • Empyrium7
    3098 posts National Call-Up
    FCBlunt wrote: »
    I see more people tracking back and letting their second man press do the job for them.

Its extremely infuriating having 3 players around you with no way to pass out of it. It would make sense if moving the ball to the other side would help, but it doesnt. Three players on you at all times, 11 man in their box compared to your 4 or 5.

I thought having more players forward meant more options, but atm it feels like less. Playing posession is unrewarding, but I will keep at it.

Tbh, I dont even know how they press with three men. I do know however, pressing like this used to leave holes which doesnt feel like the case atm. I select and tackle, >I< tackle. So being beat by someone who lets the computer do it, really puts me down as I feel beat down for trying to play the game.

Listen to the community, devs. We need more emphasis on actually doing defending compared to using the AI.

Thanks for reading.

most people who rely on the AI to defend for them just track back and try to cut passing lanes while holding 2nd man press and waiting for an auto tackle, auto interception or auto block.

while manual defenders. controlling the defender trying to block a shot. the player will do a stupid animation that it won't block the shot while if you leave the AI to block they will do an animation that will actually block the shot.

manual defending needs to be more rewarding and AI defending needs nerfing. they shouldn't tackle at all and you should be able to dribble easily close to them if they are not controlled by the player. but EA think that the AI should decide the game's outcome
  • SVKslato8
    417 posts Sunday League Hero
    This thread sums it all up.

At the moment we all have assisted defending, why there is no option to turn off the defending AI assistance in controls settings?

Its important to mention that AI defending is so strong because referees are set to overlook clear fouls by AI while they spot minor touches in case you control the defending player.
  • ELMEX94
    SVKslato8 wrote: »
    This thread sums it all up.

At the moment we all have assisted defending, why there is no option to turn off the defending AI assistance in controls settings?

Its important to mention that AI defending is so strong because referees are set to overlook clear fouls by AI while they spot minor touches in case you control the defending player.

• Rossco160715
    2155 posts Fans' Favourite
    It just doesn’t make any sense. The art of defending is criminally undervalued by EA Sports to the point you simply don’t have to do it. If you manually defend you’re often at a disadvantage right away. How can EA sports deem this suitable for a football game?

If the following games were EA Sports would they allow the following?

Golf: get yourself onto the green and the AI makes the putt.

Basketball: stand in attack and let the AI defend and block

Shooting game: run about and let the AI make the kill shot

Olympics: spin round and let the AI throw the object (hammer/discus)
    Sprint and allow the AI to jump hurdles

Racing: hold accelerate and allow the AI to take corners

The answer to the above would be no, of course you wouldn’t. So why on earth should we not have to defend manually on a football game? It’s beyond idiocy.
  • joehuk
    3529 posts National Call-Up
    The game has been a sweatfest today.

Soon as I get the ball in midfield not one player has come to face me 1v1 with their defending player.

They immediantly sprint back to the CDM area with him and it doesn't matter who it is be it his winger, striker, cam.

I can pass pass pass and still can't break this down.

I'd be interested to have s chat with some of the pros on how they deal with this because I certainly don't have a clue.

Thing is they can use constant pressure and sprint/move around cdm area with pretty much no effect to their stamina due to the AI being so precise with closing down and interceptions
  • FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    joehuk wrote: »

Soon as I get the ball in midfield not one player has come to face me 1v1 with their defending player.

They immediantly sprint back to the CDM area with him and it doesn't matter who it is be it his winger, striker, cam.

I'd be interested to have s chat with some of the pros on how they deal with this because I certainly don't have a clue.

Thing is they can use constant pressure and sprint/move around cdm area with pretty much no effect to their stamina due to the AI being so precise with closing down and interceptions

If you ever watch any of the pros gameplay, 80% of their goals are timed finesse shots outside the box . Show's the state of AI defending
  • joehuk
    FifaCity16 wrote: »
    joehuk wrote: »

If you ever watch any of the pros gameplay, 80% of their goals are timed finesse shots outside the box . Show's the state of AI defending

Thing is I'm so bored of this and to be honest I've not had much joy with them today, blocks, posts, superman keepers etc.

Guess I'll keep doing these shots over testing normal shots.
  • xinj
    141 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    How is this a thing again, didnt have any trouble beating these auto defending noobs when patch 2 and 3 was out, now its op af and getting harder and harder to beat them for every patch
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Game just needs to change one thing.

Make manual defending more effective, so that people who manually defend aren't completely screwed over when they tackle the ball and it goes straight into another attacker.
  • Robmu22
    1418 posts Professional
    Recoba wrote: »
    Its really hard to have a conversation with the FIFA devs about the game issues.

The lack of communication on a multi billion dollar company and one of the biggest games in the world is really sad.

This forum used to have a community manager and devs that engaged with the posters, now it's just utter silence.

Back to ai defending - why on earth did they revert it after the positive outcome when they reduced its effectiveness???

It seriously needs reducing, it's utter silly to play ONLINE and just play against the AI... That's what single player is for...
  • joehuk
    They just need to tone down the precision of which the AI will close you down it's crazy how accruate they are, like magnets stuck on you while they run around with their striker in CDM position.

I can see why people do it because I have an above average team and it's so effective at nullifying anything I try.

Yes if I finally take the lead in the last 10mins I'll play like a douche as he has been doing for 90mins :joy: actually funny taking the lead that late amount of times it's 1-1 He sits back with 9men, I finally take the lead then proceed to score another 2 or 3 goals because he's forced to actually try tackle me 1v1. Which proves to me I wouldn't have many issues online expect those that are clearly better than me which I can accept.
  • limjitwe
    7180 posts Big Money Move
    The previous patch was supposed to nerf the AI right? But the last patch brought it back.. am I right??

I stopped for 3 weeks in late November to early December. Constant pressure seems stronger than ever.
  • iConfueZ
    288 posts Sunday League Hero
    Aqeel87 wrote: »
    I think The only reason reverting it back is to cater newbies on Christmas which really disgusting by EA.

Could be the reason yeah. Don't see any other reason why it has been reverted.
  • Beta
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited December 2018
    Actually I totally understand this business model of EA. The stronger the AI defence, the stronger need of buying elite players. The less skill it takes to win a game by abusing timed finesse shot, the more new players can adapt and win their games by buying more fifa points to get players who are good at abusing timed finesse shots without getting inside the box for scoring.

As a result the more profit EA can get through players feeling frustrated because it takes no skills and the customers will end up buying more fifa points to get players to abuse the system without improving their skills.

So far its a success because if you want to compete 'fairly' above elite ranks etc, you have to buy lots and lots of fifa points to get Gullit and Ronaldo etc. to abuse this mechanism. It is easier for EA to get more money from their customers.

Once you realise losing to players with less skilled but they have a meta team, it forces you to get into this P2W model if you want to compete with them.

Everything is well designed by EA and again as a business model I totally agree what EA doing is correct in increasing the short term company profit.
  • Robmu22
    1418 posts Professional
    Janscharie wrote: »
    @EA_Andy

Can we please have a response?
    @EA_Andy could you at least respond?

Why is there no engagement with the community managers on the Fifa forums?
  • CovLee_Candice
    4304 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2018
  • SuperKMx
    1021 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    I played my first online drafts last week and had way more fun than in WL or DR, I must say. Apart from the constant pressure/constant sprint combo that every player seems to do, it felt much better. I didn't concede a single timed finesse or face anybody using AI defence. I suck, so I was losing a lot, but it felt like a different game from WL or DR. Losing felt kind of good, because I was losing due to my own failings and could identify and fix problems for the next match.

Then went into WL for the first time in a couple months. Oh, my. Every other goal is a timed finesse or a kick-off goal. Every other team is just Kante or Matuidi doing all the running while the AI controls the defence. Oh, look! It's the POTM Lucas/POTM Hazard/POTM Sterling/Fabinho/Kante/VVD/Sanchez/DDG + 3 random players (because they don't matter) combo for the 10th game in a row!

The difference between the player bases who play the two modes appears to be somewhat huge.