Serious Question, are we at the beginning of the end?

Comments

  • Natureboy44
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    edited December 2018
    They don't care for the older Fifa players anymore, anyone who has played it for a while like myself will just moan as it gets worse.

    They have a new concept and outlook for Fifa and that is for a younger generation where the game is more of a Football simulator where skill is irrelevant as this keeps all players happy and money rolling in.

    Game over for for us older Fifa fans, all we can do is moan now and EA 100% really don't care and actually would maybe rather we stopped playing altogether and stopped wasting our time writing posts moaning thinking that anybody at EA actually cares because there is more than enough new younger minds playing for the first time day after day with all the enthusiasm, optimism and naivety that comes with youth to pump more and more money into the company with them being able to do even less and less to please their audience.







  • Alex_cr
    5251 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    No is the simple answer.

    Each and every one of us who leaves is replaced by new players. My Son is 5 and has dabbled in FIFA. One day I’m sure it’ll be his go to game just as I head out.

    I notice a lot of people on this thread are early 30’s. Someone mentioned FIFA 95. That was an awful FIFA where you were guaranteed a goal if you ran out to the wing and shot from 35 yards at an accute angle. Yet rose tinted glasses tell us it was great!

    EA is cutting content, charging more, utilising gambling-like psychological practices to exploit people who are young or prone to parting with their cash for randomized virtual items which will be obsolele by the next release and have repeatedly claimed nobody wants the single player experience anymore so they're distancing themselves from it in order to FUTify all their games just like with Battlefield, The Sims, Need For Speed, Battlefront

    They've been milking people for almost a decade with FUT while the majority of it has remained stale and what used to be innovative and fresh (SBC's for untradeables, objectives) became as minimal effort and their shoddy business practices giving us half cooked games is alienating more people every day and eventually all the negative press they're doing will do more than just chip away at their share price as has been the case over the past 6 months (spoiler alert, it's halved and not even FIFA 19 could restore investor confidence this time).

    Seriously, how can a company that has the exclusive license to the Star Wars franchise for video games for over 5 years fail to make a good game? If we didn't love football as much as we did FIFA would've died a long time ago, that's how thankless the experience has begun.

    I work in the Financial sector. Let me tell you that EA’s current drop in share price is nothing unusual. It’s a little on the high side but it’s to be expected bearing in mind where the world is at currently - people are reading way too much into this.

    There tactics are just what all games are doing to be honest. My children play mine craft. There’s so many pointless add ons to that. They also play Roblox which is the perfect example of just where games are heading. Do I like it? No I do not but it ain’t changing any time soon! Also it’s simply not true that they are cutting content. There’s been more content than ever before on FUT this year - and of course they will concentrate on FUT because that’s where the majority of their player base can be found. Now the quality of the content is debatable but it’s there.

    I do not particularly like where this FIFA is. There’s was a point when I quite enjoyed it - May be three patches ago... but it really doesn’t matter what I think, it’s nowhere near ‘the end’.
  • Fletch
    3437 posts National Call-Up
    We will have to wait and see. Rumour has it 20 will be on a complete new engine and that will be a game changer. Its needed so hopefully that comes to fruition.
  • Low Ki
    11825 posts Has That Special Something
    Mate you're not the only one that works in finance. EA was riding a share market bubble off big talk about how microtransactions would give them bitcoin-levels of income as it takes off. Instead, the company got greedy with it and went from being subtle to ham fisted the way they forced it into everything at the expense of long-term engaging game design and it blew up in their faces in 2018 with Battlefront, Need For Speed, FIFA 19 and most recently Battlefield 5 as games are churned out with little regard for quality or what consume's want, but rather what EA tells you that you need aka more promotions to blow even money on packs.

    Now the bubble's burst and they're reaping what they've sown due to investor confidence and goodwill tanking from one media debacle to the next.

    They've become as reviled and loathed as mobile games who use these exact same business practices. Overwatch and Fortnite both contain loot boxes too, but it's largely a cosmetic alternative and look at the reach those games have compared to FUT. Not this pay to win mobile game model.
  • Alex_cr
    5251 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Mate you're not the only one that works in finance. EA was riding a share market bubble off big talk about how microtransactions would give them bitcoin-levels of income as it takes off. Instead, the company got greedy with it and went from being subtle to ham fisted the way they forced it into everything at the expense of long-term engaging game design and it blew up in their faces in 2018 with Battlefront, Need For Speed, FIFA 19 and most recently Battlefield 5 as games are churned out with little regard for quality or what consume's want, but rather what EA tells you that you need aka more promotions to blow even money on packs.

    Now the bubble's burst and they're reaping what they've sown due to investor confidence and goodwill tanking from one media debacle to the next.

    They've become as reviled and loathed as mobile games who use these exact same business practices. Overwatch and Fortnite both contain loot boxes too, but it's largely a cosmetic alternative and look at the reach those games have compared to FUT. Not this pay to win mobile game model.

    I’m not disagreeing that the games are poor - only EA game I play is FIFA so can’t comment beyond this which I’ve said I don’t think is very good. But it’s beyond ridiculous to say the end is near and that’s the topic at hand here.

    Share prices will rebound without a doubt. EA will be just fine.
  • Low Ki
    11825 posts Has That Special Something
    Loot box legislation being pushed for worldwide will definitely affect how big the rebound will be.

    I’ve read transcripts from lots of panels reviewing it and when you get an EA response it’s so tone deaf and belligerent the way they throw down the gauntlet at legislators.
  • Durrani13
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2018
    I have played FIFA for a long time now, FIFA 97 being my first game. I have never been so unenthused with a game as this one. I know a lot of people seem to be the same, considering some of the posts on here.

    The game has some pros, but there are a lot of cons. I’m 30 now, I want to play a game for fun, and there is no fun. No cups, no bronze or silver games. Sweat sweat sweat. I can’t see myself buying next years instalment, particularly when the game never seems to change.

    I understand a business wants to make money, and boy they are good at that, but it would be nice if they considered their fan base. To me, no SBC content in a “FUTMAS” promo on Xmas day? Ludicrous.

    Interested to hear other opinions on this, as obviously I am just one man, and I am sure there are people out there happy with the game.

    I see another NBA Live brewing. NBA Live started to go downhill and then a competitor saw and opening and demolished the franchise which has never recovered. I'm certain that EA is asleep at the wheel and another company is about surprise the hell out of them. Licensed or not. But 2K originally didn't have licenses either.

    The last time that happened pro evolution soccer nearly took the crown. They too ruined their game a few years later and FIFA picked up again with vast improvements over the next few years. It's that time again. Let's see if EA lifts its game or this time NBA Live happens.
  • Stuey
    69 posts Park Captain
    It’s that bad im back to playing ISS pro 98 on my ps1
  • I SiR MartY I
    5572 posts Big Money Move
    WryLucky wrote: »
    If people keep buying packs then it'll never end.

  • Jeyj38
    1290 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    regia5bg wrote: »
    I have played FIFA for a long time now, FIFA 97 being my first game. I have never been so unenthused with a game as this one. I know a lot of people seem to be the same, considering some of the posts on here.

    The game has some pros, but there are a lot of cons. I’m 30 now, I want to play a game for fun, and there is no fun. No cups, no bronze or silver games. Sweat sweat sweat. I can’t see myself buying next years instalment, particularly when the game never seems to change.

    I understand a business wants to make money, and boy they are good at that, but it would be nice if they considered their fan base. To me, no SBC content in a “FUTMAS” promo on Xmas day? Ludicrous.

    Interested to hear other opinions on this, as obviously I am just one man, and I am sure there are people out there happy with the game.

    On the "managerial" side each year FUT is improved. In a very good way. Currently you have far more than before, and more fun playing in different ways.
    The bronze/silver/gold tournament era was BORING! You had always the same thing to do, and close the end of the season in bronze/silver tournament you were facing minutes (even 10/15 minutes) to wait for an opponent in semifinal/final, if you were lucky to find one. And lag was far worse than today.

    On the "gameplay" side, it's personal. This year I really hate all these finesse shots, as almost anyone at a good level is playing in that way. I think I get scored a cross+header each 10 matches... almost nobody tries that. It's always "ball back, trying to find a way to shoot just outside the area". It's ridicolous that half of the goals I get scored against is from the outside with a finesse shot from a technical player (it isn't needed someone expensive, I could understand it with the best but if a normal Firmino works well it's an issue). It's the first year I can remember that a certain way to score is so overpowered compared to the other ones, and it's a bad thing.

    I do score headers from crosses almost every game.
    But as you say finesse really is OP so thats the only thing that YouTube generation will try...

    I think its only us, hardcore fifa lovers for years, that are at the beginning of the end. Other kiddos are fine...
    As I often say, game has a lot of flaws but is decent, people will always make it worse and toxic...
  • Elvisreus
    219 posts Sunday League Hero
    Tbh. Not going to play and pay much in the coming future considering the way they treated us in the whole Christmas event.

    Buying and selling cards is one of the best features in the game, but this year, EA keeps preventing us from earning and getting cards through sbcs

    Seriously, what's the odds to pack an icon if we can't earn the coins through investment?

    Plus the gameplay never changes, input delay and lag are constantly happening, fifa19 is the most patched version and the problems remain

    In this regard, I see no reasons to play the next FUT.

    They never understand the reason why we play is because we feel fun with it and get rewarded from it. It's call positive reinforcement. But right now, their approach seems to be giving us tons of punishments by disappointing us over and over.
  • FaFiFa
    856 posts Semi-Pro
    It is time to stop this addiction.Thanks to their careless attitude during the last 2-3 days I did not play fifa.Spent my indoors time with red dead redemption and feeling much more relaxed, joyful.I am sure with Fifa I would be angry and disappointed because of all the bs happens due to bad game design & input lag.
  • HelloDearie
    2302 posts Fans' Favourite
    Interesting to hear all the differing opinions. As I said originally, it’s each to their own. But it does appear that more And more people are fed up.

    Probably the beginning of the end for the older generation perhaps, but the YouTube generation will continue to play no doubt.

    As mentioned, with no real competition the FIFA freight train can just crack on regardless
  • futaddict79
    1626 posts Fans' Favourite
    I like the introduction over the FIFA's with record breaker cards and OTW Cards, but the gameplay has suffered for it where it didn't need to

    The last good fifa is the one where I had the record breaker messi, gameplay felt good then( think it was 14 or 13.
  • RexAnglo1066
    385 posts Sunday League Hero
    Seems the answer is the one that many have been speaking of for a while; split the game into 2 separate entities.

    1 would be a free2play FUT only version where E.A make all their money from packs, and can fill it with every type of microtransaction imaginable.

    The other would be a £/€/$ 30 version with career, pro clubs and any other licenses and game modes that the community wants implemented.

    Both would be developed and maintained by separate groups, delivering them both independently and with a focus purely on their respective game mode.

    You would get a better experience as those developing career mode and pro clubs would be doing so out of a passion to make it the best it can be, with no restriction on their time and focus.

    Same for FUT.

    This seems the only viable future if the non FUT game modes are to have any chance of surviving.

    Just like the campaign in CoD BO4, which was cut, it may be that one day E.A decide that the non FUT game modes are no longer financially viable and as such may be dropped.

    It may be drastic, but I wouldn't put it past E.A, which ultimately sees its Fifa franchise as a vehicle for profits and not as an ode to its love of the beautiful game.





  • nj10
    2195 posts Fans' Favourite
    There was a time when Madden dominates the sports gaming industry. It’s shocking to me EA didn’t learn their lesson from the fall of that franchise. They didn’t listen to their fan base over there very well and now it’s fallen down to 3rd behind FIFA and NBA 2k. It would actually be 4th if MLB the show was available on Xbox one.

    EA has never been very good at listening to it’s fans. It has fifa locked down because of licensing. Otherwise a competitor would already be right on its heels imo

    Aren’t those all ea games though?
  • ILevis
    791 posts Semi-Pro
    People are saying that FIFA is dying every year since 5 years now. Since then each FIFA has outsold the previous version.

    FIFA is as popular as ever and in my opinion will continue that way for a while.

    Some people are annoyed that there are no casual modes but the truth is that more and more multiplayer games lean heavier and heavier into the competetive side, rather than staying casual. And people enjoy it, so im pretty sure that the people who are missing bronze/silver cups are definitely a very small minority.

    Also, FUT offers a casual mode, online single matches, which was the main mode up until they introduced seasons in FIFA 13. People just dont play it because they want the rewards from weekend league and rivals. you cant have both
  • Gromit
    3532 posts National Call-Up
    There's just NOTHING to the game anymore.

    Its just gold only, ultra competitive only.

    There's just so little variation to the game what enjoyment can you really get from it.

    People go on about rewards. So what, so you get ANOTHER special card just like all the others. Just another player that plays like the last, and you still finish with the same wins anyway.

    Utterly pointless game. It needs to change.
  • BSDShoes
    1682 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited December 2018
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    I notice a lot of people on this thread are early 30’s. Someone mentioned FIFA 95. That was an awful FIFA where you were guaranteed a goal if you ran out to the wing and shot from 35 yards at an accute angle. Yet rose tinted glasses tell us it was great!

    And running away from the ref to avoid a yellow card, lmao
    SuperKMx wrote: »
    The fact that anyone thinks that the game is remotely in decline is quite funny.

    Add this all to the fact that there are more streamers and YouTubers playing the game than ever, influencing others to do the same pretty much every day of the year, and I'm confused as to why anyone thinks that FIFA 19 is the straw to break the camel's back.

    There's actually fewer streamers, there were WAY more back in FIFA 15. And yes, FIFA's general popularity is on a decline, since 16 IIRC.
  • Tubbs76
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2018
    Have been playing since the first instalment in 94. I still throw it on from time to time, nothing beats scoring a goal from just outside your penalty box lol. The game has come a long way in many respects but it has also regressed in many ways. I can't speak on behalf of everybody else on here but I for one don't want an arcade game. I dont want a ping pong match that is end to end and relies on luck or a.i. assistance. I want a football simulator. I want to play football, not a $1 for 3 lives arcade game. The game is a constant grind. There is no more skill gap. The only skill involved is working out how to abuse broken game mechanics. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun. Whoever decided what direction the game is going in should be put against a wall and shot. Massive redevelopment and more importantly direction is required. I've stuck it out th rough the good and the bad over the many years I've been playing but o feel that this may be my last. I'm at the point where o don't even want to play weekend League any more as the game is unplayable. Not going to waste my time any more across 30 games to dominate only to have a.i. or a 35m finese shot determine a game..
  • jplumber
    1486 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited December 2018
    I think short term profit is all they see. In the long run, what they're doing to the game now will lead to its downfall. Poetic justice there but not much help at the moment, when we have to live with this utter mess of a game
  • Rossco160715
    2155 posts Fans' Favourite
    The game is beyond repair.

    It’s worse than pro clubs
  • Durrani13
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    ILevis wrote: »
    People are saying that FIFA is dying every year since 5 years now. Since then each FIFA has outsold the previous version.

    FIFA is as popular as ever and in my opinion will continue that way for a while.

    Some people are annoyed that there are no casual modes but the truth is that more and more multiplayer games lean heavier and heavier into the competetive side, rather than staying casual. And people enjoy it, so im pretty sure that the people who are missing bronze/silver cups are definitely a very small minority.

    Also, FUT offers a casual mode, online single matches, which was the main mode up until they introduced seasons in FIFA 13. People just dont play it because they want the rewards from weekend league and rivals. you cant have both

    Don't believe all the hype. Most FIFA copies come with consoles these days. They don't have the ability to get you to pay $100 from your wallet as they used to. That is a huge change. Plus it's the only game that releases for $90 (at least where I live) and then goes down to $49 within weeks. In the mid 2000s people bought consoles just to play FIFA. I was happy to buy it for $100 without even a second of hesitation. Now most are reluctant to even pay $49. And we are sports fanatics in this country.
  • SuperKMx
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Durrani13 wrote: »
    Most FIFA copies come with consoles these days.

    This isn't even remotely true.
    Durrani13 wrote: »
    Plus it's the only game that releases for $90 (at least where I live) and then goes down to $49 within weeks.

    You must live in a really strange place then, given that the AAA gaming market has - with very few exceptions - seen almost every game released in the last few years drop to at least 35% less than the launch price within weeks. In some cases, games are dropping to half price or LESS in less than a month. This year alone, off the top of my head, I could point to Shadow of the Tomb Raider and OnRush being widely available for 50% less than the launch price within three weeks of hitting the shelves.
  • Knowlesdinho
    11231 posts Has That Special Something
    madwullie wrote: »
    Problem is the licences and so.many people value them so highly that they almost (and on some cases actually do) trump gameplay.

    Back in the old days when licences weren't the be all and end all, there would be 3 or 4 decent football games out at once, and the competition would drive innovation.

    Sadly now, people are so licence focused that the very idea of playing a game with madchester reds v London Guns no matter how exquisite the gameplay is unimaginable.

    There is no wriggle room for another football title because of this.

    Absolutely, but the way around this is to not focus on licensing at all. Don’t even use similar sounding names.

    If a company just made a football game where the gameplay was the focus and absolutely shined through, enough people would buy into it that it would become a cause of concern for EA.
  • Low Ki
    11825 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2018
    I started with FIFA 98, drifted in and out with FIFA 2004/5(?) between FIFA and PES both until FIFA 10 when I finally went all in with FIFA again and started FUT in FIFA 11. I've had my ups and downs, but even with the carrot of big rewards from FUT Champs I'm playing the least games I've ever played ever.

    It was such an epiphany when I went from Yakuza 2 to Dragon Quest XI to Spider-Man to RDR2 to finally getting to God of War while playing FIFA in between those on weekends. They all feel like really great games the devs took such care and effort in polishing up to give you stuff that simply felt special and enjoyable. All those games, especially God of War (can’t remember the last time a game has left me this satisfied) were games I lost hours in and never felt on edge, raging or a bundle of nerves burned out. Even their endgame/hardest challenges.

    FIFA on the other hand since the Frostbite has slowly lost me more and more every year and this one might be the straw that finally drives me away. For a so-called AAA game, all it's done is alienate someone here who's played this franchise for 20 years.

    BTW, since they added the trainer to the replay system I can finally see just how badly the game screws me over as the game clearly registers my aim perfectly with the stick (by looking at my aim line vs eventual ball trajectory) so many times only to blatantly whiff it into row Z or pass to a defender along a whole different line. Not sure if it's input lag, terrible servers, shoddy coding or just a bad game design courtesy of Frostbite being an utter useless load that EA insists on ramming into every one of its titles to save a quick buck (probably a combo of all of the above) but its worth it for everyone to use it regularly just to see how badly the game registers inputs. Seriously, use the trainer tool and your replays to take note of it.

    I think overall the best way to describe FIFA is an utterly broken game carried by peoples love for a genuinely good game in real life. When you spend a bit of time playing games that are truly considered legit eSpots contenders only then do you realise how inferior the game has become due to complacency after once being ahead of the curve.
  • Burninman
    303 posts Sunday League Hero
    Low Ki wrote: »
    I started with FIFA 98, drifted in and out with FIFA 2004/5(?) between FIFA and PES both until FIFA 10 when I finally went all in with FIFA again and started FUT in FIFA 11. I've had my ups and downs, but even with the carrot of big rewards from FUT Champs I'm playing the least games I've ever played ever.

    It was such an epiphany when I went from Yakuza 2 to Dragon Quest XI to Spider-Man to RDR2 to finally getting to God of War while playing FIFA in between those on weekends. They all feel like really great games the devs took such care and effort in polishing up to give you stuff that simply felt special and enjoyable. All those games, especially God of War (can’t remember the last time a game has left me this satisfied) were games I lost hours in and never felt on edge, raging or a bundle of nerves burned out. Even their endgame/hardest challenges.

    FIFA on the other hand since the Frostbite has slowly lost me more and more every year and this one might be the straw that finally drives me away. For a so-called AAA game, all it's done is alienate someone here who's played this franchise for 20 years.

    BTW, since they added the trainer to the replay system I can finally see just how badly the game screws me over as the game clearly registers my aim perfectly with the stick (by looking at my aim line vs eventual ball trajectory) so many times only to blatantly whiff it into row Z or pass to a defender along a whole different line. Not sure if it's input lag, terrible servers, shoddy coding or just a bad game design courtesy of Frostbite being an utter useless load that EA insists on ramming into every one of its titles to save a quick buck (probably a combo of all of the above) but its worth it for everyone to use it regularly just to see how badly the game registers inputs. Seriously, use the trainer tool and your replays to take note of it.

    I think overall the best way to describe FIFA is an utterly broken game carried by peoples love for a genuinely good game in real life. When you spend a bit of time playing games that are truly considered legit eSpots contenders only then do you realise how inferior the game has become due to complacency after once being ahead of the curve.

    Very very well articulated.

    “I think overall the best way to describe FIFA is an utterly broken game carried by peoples love for a genuinely good game in real life. “

    This is me to a T.

    But I also have to say, Fifa gives me emotion like no other game still, and that is rare.
  • Yhea you all are whining the same thing, but still yha’ll buying the game next year again!
  • Antiversum
    5787 posts Big Money Move
    Fletch wrote: »
    We will have to wait and see. Rumour has it 20 will be on a complete new engine and that will be a game changer. Its needed so hopefully that comes to fruition.

    Doesn't matter which engine it is when the code the engine has to work with is crap. Frostbite is one if not the best engines around and is capable of incredible things but it is not utilized in FIFA. People complain so often that xy is bound to Frostbite being a bad engine when the underlying game code is the problem.

    Fifa started getting unfun when EA decided that esports is the only way to go. Just ask yourself when you faced the last skiller.
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Lack of game modes

    and the new patch sucks ****. I don't care if my opponent can run through my manual tackles, i just want to be able to pass the damn ball properly and not take the worst first touches in the world. I don't even think my opponent needs to tackle the ball anymore, my players literally underhit or overhit passes for no reason.
Sign In or Register to comment.