Aston Villa F.C.

Comments

• maTTeOs_mAZzA
    3232 posts National Call-Up
    What a bizarre game all around. Tammy banging in four but we concede five at home. Not exactly encouraging but eh, I'll have it considering that we're no longer having problems with scoring goals.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Got to say though, Nyland is awful. I think Moreira should get another chance.
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Defence is a serious issue but we knew that anyway thanks to the mess Bruce left us in.

What I'm so impressed with from Smith is just how quickly he's turned us into a real attacking force, I absolutely love it and something I've wanted at Villa for years now. We'll cause problems for many sides in this league.

I love watching us play again and I'm excited every week, something I couldn't say when we had Bruce.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Farlz wrote: »
    Defence is a serious issue but we knew that anyway thanks to the mess Bruce left us in.

What I'm so impressed with from Smith is just how quickly he's turned us into a real attacking force, I absolutely love it and something I've wanted at Villa for years now. We'll cause problems for many sides in this league.

I love watching us play again and I'm excited every week, something I couldn't say when we had Bruce.

Agreed with Smith. We've been really dominating games Barcelona style and taking it to the opposition all game, I've noticed even when we're two up we still want to attack. We're no longer taking our foot off the pedal and trying to protect a one goal lead with Bruce.
  • Ahmer50x
    13094 posts Has That Special Something

I love watching us play again and I'm excited every week,something I couldn't say when we had Bruce.

Must be nice :disappointed:
  • AEsey
    5877 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I love watching us play again and I'm excited every week,something I couldn't say when we had Bruce.

Must be nice :disappointed:

:D :D
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    What a performance
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    A nice 17 goals for us in our last 5 games
  • finsfan85
    11051 posts Has That Special Something
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    #BringTammyHome

• maTTeOs_mAZzA
    I think its safe to say that we're finally making progress. Two 3-0 results away from home against two decent Championship sides is just brilliant.

Thank god for Dean Smith. Hes making the most out of our players, something which Steve Bruce could never do if his life depended on it.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Shocking refereeing has cost us three vital points in a crucial game. Why wasn't the VAR used? They just seem to use it whenever they feel like it.

I thought despite that we played pretty well. El Ghazi was phenomenal and our defending overall was better, although it still needs some work. Also I think Kodjia should have been brought on earlier, it clearly was an off night for Tammy.

Fully deserved the three points. Disappointed.
  • DoD_Jester
    26175 posts Player of the Year
    Shocking refereeing has cost us three vital points in a crucial game. Why wasn't the VAR used? They just seem to use it whenever they feel like it.

I thought despite that we played pretty well. El Ghazi was phenomenal and our defending overall was better, although it still needs some work. Also I think Kodjia should have been brought on earlier, it clearly was an off night for Tammy.

Is VAR even a thing in the Championship?
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    DoD_Jester wrote: »

Is VAR even a thing in the Championship?

I'm not even sure to be honest. This is really the first time we've been robbed in this fashion for as long as I can remember, and because I've seen it used in other leagues I just assumed it was a thing. I guess it isn't yet.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Looks like another playoff battle for us this season. Always got to go down the hard route. :(
  • Apollo
    9779 posts League Winner
    Looks like another playoff battle for us this season. Always got to go down the hard route. :(

That was poor from Elmohamady (think it was him) at the end there. Should have had the point
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Defence is a complete shambles
  • Apollo
    9779 posts League Winner

Where was Tuanzebe today?
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

Where was Tuanzebe today?
    Injured for a few weeks apparently so thats 1 of our 2 senior CBs in the entire squad down. Thanks Bruce.

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    You guys kinda have new modern Forrest written all over you at this point.

A club your size with those insane parachute payments should have rocketed back up in to the premier league, those have now dried up and you honestly just look like a championship club, the defence is absolutely abysmal.
  • Apollo
    9779 posts League Winner

A club your size with those insane parachute payments should have rocketed back up in to the premier league, those have now dried up and you honestly just look like a championship club, the defence is absolutely abysmal.

Tuanzebe isn't, they need him back asap.
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner

Tuanzebe has been our only good defender and now it looks like he's out for however long. If we can sort the defence out to a competent level in January I think we can get playoffs again. We've already signed a keeper so that's one position checked.

Luckily our attackers are a bit good for this level which means we score plenty of goals. We need Grealish back fit asap and when he is I'd fancy our chances against anyone.
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Without Grealish we are not good and that's a big problem.
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Tammy staying fantastic news
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    edited January 9
    If Tammy had gone we may as well have just kissed our promotion hopes goodbye. Thank god hes chosen to stay on.

Here's hoping Kortney Hause is good enough to help out our defence. The guy hasn't played in a while, that worries me a bit.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    More new signings needed. We need a left back, another two centre backs and a decent striker to help Tammy out (really hope we can get Maupay but doubt that we'd splash the cash for him especially in January). Hogan is useless, Rushian is out for some experience and Keinan still isn't ready.

To be honest I don't see us making the playoffs if we lose tomorrow. Have to win every game at home from now on and somehow find the form we had away to Derby and Boro.

Come on Deano. We need a big lift this month.
  • Kouli06
    1331 posts Professional
    I’m quietly confident we will get into 5th or 6th by the end.
    Then playoffs is anyone’s guess 😅
  • Kouli06
    1331 posts Professional
    Must win game tonight then.
    Need to start closing that gap on top 6!
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    edited February 8
    Its official. We're back to being the same old Villa we've been all these years.

Coming back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 seems fantastic but its not from our perspective. We're at home, we should never be 3-0 down to anyone in this division, I don't care who we're against.

I don't understand the starting lineup. Jedinak starting? The guy has been almost non existent since he retired from international football. Kodjia is still being wasted out wide, I said this before, hes becoming the next Gabby Agbonlahor. Our back four still doesn't make sense, all but one of them don't deserve to be in the team, I don't think I need to point out who.

My question still remains after all this time. What is wrong with this club? We're still making the same silly mistakes. Dean Smith is now setting us up like Steve Bruce set us up. That transfer window we had was a shambles and made no sense whatsoever. First we sign Kortney Hause, then we let Bree go out on loan, then we sign a promising French right back to just send him back out on loan again! It beggars belief. :joy:

I seriously don't know how we're 8th at the moment. We don't deserve to be. We're a mess. Promotion this season? Yeah right.
  • Kouli06
    1331 posts Professional
    edited February 11
    Kortney Hause made no sense
    I think that was a panic sign.
    As for the french guy I think it’s part of the condition of the contract that we let him stay there till the season is done.

Agree we should not be 3-0 down at home to anyone in the champ but in fairness should have only been 2-0 at worst.
    How the 2nd goal stood I will never know.
    Same as the WBAs 2nd goal that ernt then the draw against us.
    We have had way too many Draws that should have been wins this season.

However I honestly still think we will finish 5th or 6th and get another shot at the payoffs.
  • Farlz
    7945 posts League Winner
    Pretty clear Hause was signed to be backup, do remember we literally had 2 CB's at the time. Just recalled Elphick, Tuanzebe was injured and we had Chester but he was playing through injury himself to help with the lack of options.

We've obviously targeted Guilbert as a deal we can get done now instead of waiting for the summer. Caen are in a relegation battle and they wanted him to finish the season to try and help them. Ideally we'd have him now but at least that's RB sorted for next season already. Kodjia isn't replacing Tammy and we don't play 2 up top so his only choice is out on the wing and to be honest, he's been terrible this season and I'm almost certain he'll be sold in the summer.

I don't understand the back 4 comment either, Elphick has been good since returning and in the couple games so far Mings has looked good. Fullback situation isn't great but what can we do. If Tuanzebe comes back anytime soon that might see Mings shifted to LB.

We've lost 2 vital cogs to the system from when we were playing very well. Tuanzebe our best defender and the link from defence to midfield and then Grealish, our best player in general in which everything runs through him. The idea that we shouldn't be 3-0 down to anybody in this league is a bit stupid and we certainly aren't a mess. I don't see us going up but I'm looking forward to Smith fully implementing his style into our side in the summer.