Did the Frostbite engine improve FIFA?

SPN1987
2044 posts Fans' Favourite
I actually tried FIFA 16 today and it felt way different than this years FIFA. I was actually able to dribble again lol. I'm not sure if the Frostbite engine is the one to blame. I just don't have enough knowledge about it. What do you guys think did EA make a good decision by introducing the Frostbite engine in FIFA 17 or not? Would love to hear to some proper arguments.

Comments

• TheDinhoKid10
    1298 posts Professional
    SPN1987 wrote: »
    I actually tried FIFA 16 today and it felt way different than this years FIFA. I was actually able to dribble again lol. I'm not sure if the Frostbite engine is the one to blame. I just don't have enough knowledge about it. What do you guys think did EA make a good decision by introducing the Frostbite engine in FIFA 17 or not? Would love to hear to some proper arguments.

Fifa 16 was terrible.
  • Smudge
    4538 posts National Call-Up
    Yes
  • SPN1987

Fifa 16 was terrible.

Agree, but have you tried FIFA 19 yet?
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    Frostbite is rubbish. Hope 20 will get a new one
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2992 posts National Call-Up
    Frostbite has effectively ruined fifa over the years. FIFA16 did not have the same eye candy but damn it ran smooth.
  • Chubbs
    14272 posts Has That Special Something
    No it made it far worse.
  • CharlieC
    6226 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah Fifa 16 was BAD!
  • Steelcitysniper
    1152 posts Professional
    16 was terrible but at the end it was one of my favorites
  • SPN1987
    CharlieC wrote: »
    Yeah Fifa 16 was BAD!

And you genuinely think FIFA 19 is good? WTF am I reading? :|
  • CharlieC
    6226 posts Big Money Move
    CharlieC wrote: »
    Yeah Fifa 16 was BAD!

And you genuinely think FIFA 19 is good? WTF am I reading? :|

When the gameplay is smooth and fair it’s a really good game. Unfortunately, that only happens a couple of times a week.
  • agentxyz2
    791 posts Professional
    Frostbite really ruined the games physicality physics and dribbling has turned into a shadow of its former glory. Truly uncompetitve as of now
  • Perhaps.

All these bounces, bad touches, rebounds, missed tackles, defenders bloopers ruined all the creativity in Fifa.
  • MUFC_420
    1873 posts Play-Off Hero
    Personally I blame frostbite for the state the games in now. Yes it's better to look at but we didn't have half the issues with gameplay before frostbite.

I don't think frostbite is a bad game engine, far from it but unfortunately it's not for FIFA and I think that's pretty clear to see.
  • PapaJay
    527 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Smudge wrote: »
    Yes
    DKCena wrote: »
    Frostbite is rubbish. Hope 20 will get a new one
    Frostbite has effectively ruined fifa over the years. FIFA16 did not have the same eye candy but damn it ran smooth.
    Chubbs wrote: »
    No it made it far worse.
    agentxyz2 wrote: »
    Frostbite really ruined the games physicality physics and dribbling has turned into a shadow of its former glory. Truly uncompetitve as of now
    MUFC_420 wrote: »
    Personally I blame frostbite for the state the games in now. Yes it's better to look at but we didn't have half the issues with gameplay before frostbite.

I don't think frostbite is a bad game engine, far from it but unfortunately it's not for FIFA and I think that's pretty clear to see.

• RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    The older fifas were pretty bad. It had that stuftter step and nothing but lbys. Then the dribbling and passing and shooting was all out of control. People think timed finishing is bad you could finesse from the halfway line run around the keeping and walk the ball in lol.
  • FatZed
    851 posts Semi-Pro
    Have to agree without being a complete tech head or software guru I really don't think its been suitable or beneficial to FIFA, gameplay in general seemed to go downhill regarding physics, randomness and just generally be inconsistent and quite bad since its been brought in so I think it has at least something to do with it.
  • heefmondo
    1450 posts Play-Off Hero
    Which fifa was it where you could run past the keeper and they'd just fall to the floor? 15?
  • TWS001
    2214 posts Fans' Favourite
    heefmondo wrote: »
    Which fifa was it where you could run past the keeper and they'd just fall to the floor? 15?

Yeah, pretty sure that was 15.
  • Murphdogz
    1521 posts Play-Off Hero
    Older fifas was the best.as the years go on FIFA gets worse.
  • michael15172211
    477 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Near post finish in I think 14 was OP, finesse was even more OP in 12 those good times along with Nilmar and Wallyson
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13025 posts Has That Special Something
    Frostbite have ruined FIFA easily
  • CFCHenri
    3398 posts National Call-Up
    Improved? Lol good one mate
  • Rebound19
    185 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Its the worst thing to ever happen to FIFA
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Fifa 16 had NTD and that was stupid
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    edited December 2018
    Stkyfngz wrote: »

One of the best features ever added to the franchise. Actually broadened the skill gap contrary to this laughable attempt called timed finishing; but sadly got deprecated.

Furthermore i'm positive those who used to complain about lby, dribbling, zigzag and NTD were lousy at manual defending, didn't jockey, couldn't backtrack and got easily trounced. And due to a deluge of casuals' tears, now we've got a trivialized game full of bailout mechanics, AI assistance at an all-time high, skill moves made obsolete, mechanic abuse amplified to such degree that the endgame is about timed finesse shot mindgames to bait your opponent in moving the GK so you can slot it in the opposite pocket.

Congratulations.
  • SPN1987
    Stkyfngz wrote: »

One of the best features ever added to the franchise. Actually broadened the skill gap contrary to this laughable attempt called timed finishing; but sadly got deprecated.

Furthermore i'm positive those who used to complain about lby, dribbling, zigzag and NTD were lousy at manual defending, didn't jockey, couldn't backtrack and got easily trounced. And due to a deluge of casuals' tears, now we've got a trivialized game full of bailout mechanics, AI assistance at an all-time high, skill moves made obsolete, mechanic abuse amplified to such degree that the endgame is about timed finesse shot mindgames to bait your opponent in moving the GK so you can slot it in the opposite pocket.

Congratulations.

i agree 100%. But what exactly is lby?
  • deang07
    8092 posts League Winner
    16 was the worst fifa by a mile no matter how much they mule the rest.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    deang07 wrote: »

Criminal statement in light of what we have right now.
  • SPN1987

I agree with pretty much everything you say in every post you make. Have you watched Inceptionxx new YouTube video? He just makes by far the most sense to me out of every content creator / community member. He seems to actually know what the hell he is talking about. I can't see how people have an opinion opposite of his.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl

I agree with pretty much everything you say in every post you make. Have you watched Inceptionxx new YouTube video? He just makes by far the most sense to me out of every content creator / community member. He seems to actually know what the hell he is talking about. I can't see how people have an opinion opposite of his.

Yup, pretty much anyone competent at this game will confirm the dire state we're in.